ADVERTISEMENT

Views on Riley now

What is your opinion or Riley now vs 3 games ago?

• My opinion changed for the positive

Votes: 58 28.6%
  • My opinion changed for the negative

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • My opinion has not changed at all

Votes: 138 68.0%

• Total voters
I just don't know yet. After the Purdue loss it almost seemed like the players heard the fan base questioning their effort. Since then they seem more disciplined and focused. I'm not sure if we should credit Riley for the turnaround yet. I think the Iowa game will tell us a lot about this team and how good our coach really is.

Im curious as to what people now think of Riley vs 3 games ago? I was one that was ready to run him out of town. Sad to admit it. lol After these last 2 games, the whole team looks much improved. Not sure why exactly? Players finally starting to try?

Riley appears to be the real deal and Im loving this guy. In fact I think he can win out!! KEEP IT UP RILEY GO BIG RED!!!

Hes the godfather

just cant get over the stupid decisions - not running the play clock down vs byu, the pass vs illinois, running three dive plays against wisconsin when one first down would win the game, one unreal bad playcalling drive in the 4th qtr vs minny, and the end of the first half last week. It's just hard to believe we're ever going to get to the point that we can constantly overcome this kind of stupidity.

Hard to tell though if the players actually carried out the plays as called.

I would much rather have MR this year & go 6-6 then a 10 Bo. Life is good.

Gotta agree with this. One year later it still feels like we made the right move. As far as evaluating Mike Riley, our sample size is still to small, but I'm optimistic about our future.

Reactions: sparky62
Help me out... He's talking about two games... Iowa and bowl game. If we play well in these games, we could easily win out. You don't think so, brand new poster who joined two days ago?
I didn't have a problem with the contention we could win one or two more games. Now, calling him "The Godfather" and saying "he's the real deal" is another thing. Three weeks ago, Nebraska got whipped by a horrible Purdue team.

I love how this team has looked in the last two games, but the bad losses didn't completely disappear from my memory as they appear to have disappeared in yours.

I didn't have a problem with the contention we could win one or two more games. Now, calling him "The Godfather" and saying "he's the real deal" is another thing. Three weeks ago, Nebraska got whipped by a horrible Purdue team.

I love how this team has looked in the last two games, but the bad losses didn't completely disappear from my memory as they appear to have disappeared in yours.
I haven't forgotten anything either… You see, this is where a little more context in your post would've been helpful. If you would have let it be known you were referring to his godfather comment, then I might not of responded. But without that context, I assumed you were talking about winning out. Contextually speaking, I thought I was pretty clear in what I was referencing. Namely, the team winning out. Much harder to misinterpret my post than it was yours… My apologies.

We have nothing to fall back on but your terrible football team. Enjoy Black Friday.
You're on fire! First, you remind us that Riley has a sub .500 record against P5 teams, now you say we have a terrible team... Really, you have opened my eyes today!

So next you'll tell me that if you win next Friday, you were supposed to win... Mind blowing stuff! I imagine it will really suck if this sub .500 coach against P5 teams who is coaching a terrible team happens to beat Iowa next week...

Reactions: arf_man
I haven't forgotten anything either… You see, this is where a little more context in your post would've been helpful. If you would have let it be known you were referring to his godfather comment, then I might not of responded. But without that context, I assumed you were talking about winning out. Contextually speaking, I thought I was pretty clear in what I was referencing. Namely, the team winning out. Much harder to misinterpret my post than it was yours… My apologies.
The fact that you opted to focus on a single line is your error - not mine. You see, when I quote an entire post, and yet YOU choose to focus only on a single portion of the quoted post, that makes you confused. And after this spicy back and forth, I can see why you would get confused.

Perhaps you should stop carrying such a preconceived notion or agenda in your mind when reading someone else's post, yeah? The fact that you took your response to me in the direction you did merely exposes your own bias(es). There was absolutely nothing in my post that was positive nor negative. I said, "slow down, guy."

Enjoy that bias, whoever the hell you are!

Last edited:
The fact that you opted to focus on a single line is your error. You see, when I quote an entire post, and you choose to focus only on a single portion of the quoted post I can see why you would get confused.

Perhaps you should stop carrying such a preconceived notion or agenda in your mind when reading someone else's post, yeah? The fact that you took your response to me in the direction you did merely shows your on bias(es).

Enjoy!
Since you are new to message boards, here's a little tip on etiquette... When you post a three word response, don't expect people to read your minds. as I supposed to know you were simply talking about the godfather comment? Pretty lame of you to focus only on that line when your post could have been applied to any or all of it. Either way, I took issue with the fact you were suggesting two wins would be a challenge... Was I wrong to take it that way?

The fact is, you weren't clear at all. Your response could easily have been directed at winning the final two games, as MANY hawked fans have posed as huskers of late just to troll. Just man up, say you weren't clear, and move on.

I have not always been clear in every post I have ever posted. When I get called out on it, I clarify myself with an apology. You should try it sometime.

Since you are new to message boards, here's a little tip on etiquette... When you post a three word response, don't expect people to read your minds. as I supposed to know you were simply talking about the godfather comment? Pretty lame of you to focus only on that line when your post could have been applied to any or all of it. Either way, I took issue with the fact you were suggesting two wins would be a challenge... Was I wrong to take it that way?

The fact is, you weren't clear at all. Your response could easily have been directed at winning the final two games, as MANY hawked fans have posed as huskers of late just to troll. Just man up, say you weren't clear, and move on.

I have not always been clear in every post I have ever posted. When I get called out on it, I clarify myself with an apology. You should try it sometime.
Are you serious? You want an apology because you read my post with anything but an objective mind? The notion that you think you deserve an apology shows exactly how delusional you are.

I AM NOT an Iowa fan. I grew up in western Nebraska and went to school in Lincoln. And because you chose to cast light on the fact that you were suspicious of me shows that you did misinterpret my post. I'm done talking about this, because it's dumb and not worth my or (I hope) your time.

If you want an apology, might I suggest you go outside and ask a passerby for one?

Are you serious? You want an apology because you read my post with anything but an objective mind? The notion that you think you deserve an apology shows exactly how delusional you are.

I AM NOT an Iowa fan. I grew up in western Nebraska and went to school in Lincoln. And because you chose to cast light on the fact that you were suspicious of me shows that you did misinterpret my post. I'm done talking about this, because it's dumb and not worth my or (I hope) your time.

If you want an apology, might I suggest you go outside and ask a passerby for one?
Dude, all I'm saying is if I post something ambiguous and it gets misinterpreted, I own up. I don't do what you do and place blame on the person who misinterpreted my post.

I don't need your apology. Just be clear. And when you aren't, make it clear. No need to blame someone else for your ambiguous post.

I don't need your apology. Just be clear. And when you aren't, make it clear. No need to blame someone else for your ambiguous post.

When you admit my post could be construed as ambiguous, why then would you assume one side vs. the other? Ask yourself that. When the neurons and synapses in your brain fire and you eventually reach a conclusion, you'll understand why I am choosing to engage you in conversation, hoping it will make you better in the future. But it's obvious you are just one of those internet arguers, and nothing will ever, EVER change your mind.

An apology. Heh.

When you admit my post could be construed as ambiguous, why then would you assume one side vs. the other? Ask yourself that. When the neurons and synapses in your brain fire and you eventually reach a conclusion, you'll understand why I am choosing to engage you in conversation, hoping it will make you better in the future. But it's obvious you are just one of those internet arguers, and nothing will ever, EVER change your mind.

An apology. Heh.
What an ass. A dumbass at that.

Ambiguous means it needs clarity. I took it one way. You meant it the other way. Whose job is it to clarify that?

Talk about misfiring neurons...

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Let me walk you thru it red pants...

1. You post an ambiguous post.
2. I ask for clarification, being a little snarky about it.
3. You provide clarification while assuming I had forgotten our performance earlier in the season.
4. I respond to let you know I forgot nothing, just would have appreciated clarification for the ambiguous post.
5. You continue to be an ass through it all, which admittedly, riled me up.
6. And for the record, when a post is ambiguous, you leave the door open for it to be interpreted by the reader. Not my fault you're having trouble with understanding that...

What an ass. A dumbass at that.

Ambiguous means it needs clarity.

am·big·u·ous
amˈbiɡyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: ambiguous
(of language) open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning.

And you call me a dumbass?

Let me walk you thru it red pants...

1. You post an ambiguous post.
2. I ask for clarification, being a little snarky about it.
3. You provide clarification while assuming I had forgotten our performance earlier in the season.
4. I respond to let you know I forgot nothing, just would have appreciated clarification for the ambiguous post.
5. You continue to be an ass through it all, which admittedly, riled me up.
6. And for the record, when a post is ambiguous, you leave the door open for it to be interpreted by the reader. Not my fault you're having trouble with understanding that...
So basically you just admitted you were a jerk about your reply to me, yet, here you are arguing.

Enjoy your night. Laughing

am·big·u·ous
amˈbiɡyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: ambiguous
(of language) open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning.

And you call me a dumbass?
Not that hard... Have you ever read something one way without recognizing the ambiguity until it is interpreted another way? I took it one way, missing initially you meant it a different way. Something can be ambiguous without a person realizing it at first...

Do you really not see this? Yes, I called you a dumbass, because you still think I should have know what you meant from the start. I can't read your mind red pants...

So basically you just admitted you were a jerk about your reply to me, yet, here you are arguing.

Enjoy your night. Laughing
Sorry, let me clarify for you. I guess I must have been ambiguous on this... I was being snarky, not a jerk. My apologies that I wasn't clear.

(See how easy that was?)

Red pants, time for a truce. This thread is bigger than you and me, for my part in this hijacking, I apologize. Let the thread go where it was supposed to before my misinterpretation and my name calling. My bad.

Not that hard... Have you ever read something one way without recognizing the ambiguity until it is interpreted another way? I took it one way, missing initially you meant it a different way. Something can be ambiguous without a person realizing it at first...

Do you really not see this? Yes, I called you a dumbass, because you still think I should have know what you meant from the start. I can't read your mind red pants...
Sorry, let me clarify for you. I guess I must have been ambiguous on this... I was being snarky, not a jerk. My apologies that I wasn't clear.

(See how easy that was?)
Meh. I think you're a jerk. That's my take on you, based on nothing but my interaction with you. You can classify your responses in any way you would like if will make you feel better about yourself. Snarky, dumbass, jerk, whatever.

Meh. I think you're a jerk. That's my take on you, based on nothing but my interaction with you. You can classify your responses in any way you would like if will make you feel better about yourself. Snarky, dumbass, jerk, whatever.
Fair enough. That's how I presented myself. I'll take it.

Red pants, time for a truce. This thread is bigger than you and me, for my part in this hijacking, I apologize. Let the thread go where it was supposed to before my misinterpretation and my name calling. My bad.
Truce.

Now can we can get back to discussing/arguing over Nebraska football? :)

Truce.

Now can we can get back to discussing/arguing over Nebraska football? :)
Yep. That's what it should have been. My bad questioning your husker identity. That's where it all went down in the first place.

To the post that started it all, I agree, it might be a little premature to call Riley the godfather...

The opinion has not changed option needs expanded to clarify. Those who like these coaches AND those who don't think these coaches will bring us back to National relevance are grouped together by this option?

Reactions: Crushinator
That's the part im loving, Iowa knocking the Huskers and our coaching staff, there setting themselfs up for a real smack in the face when a below 500 team steps on the field and beats them. They have it all to lose, we don't. Oh by the way, you guys have Purdue before us, might hope to beat them first and hope there not over looking them towards the big game at Lincoln, trap game, MAYBE? If i was an Iowa fan, id be a bit nervous after seeing these Huskers wake up since the MSU game and getting everyone back healthy, not looking good for the Hawks.

Would take a six win Riley over a nine win Bo any day.

Boy! I thought Bo was embarrassing and I don't think Nebraska would have won anything past the division with him as the coach. On the other hand I don't understand this devotion shown to Riley if he only produces average results. The win over Michigan State was great and I think the Huskers have a chance against Iowa, but that doesn't wipe off the books the losses to Purdue and Illinois.

Boy! I thought Bo was embarrassing and I don't think Nebraska would have won anything past the division with him as the coach. On the other hand I don't understand this devotion shown to Riley if he only produces average results. The win over Michigan State was great and I think the Huskers have a chance against Iowa, but that doesn't wipe off the books the losses to Purdue and Illinois.
Wasker, I think Oahe meant that in regards to demeanor combined with the fact that there is still hope for Riley. At this point we can still hope that we haven't seen Riley's ceiling yet, while that was definitely not the case with Bo.

Odds are against DL being Riley's successor. For that to happen, Riley's tenure must be a success with most of that due to the offense. But that will only get him an interview. Many here have said that NU is not the place for new head coaches to train. Whether the AD believes that or not, it's still a factor to overcome.

Possible but not likely

I think that's a valid point but it even tends to assume that we would have the same Athletic Director which is far from a guarantee. I hope Riley and Langsdorf are incredibly successful. As for what happens when they leave, we can cross that bridge whenever we get there. Hopefully, it'll be after we start adding some championships to the ribbon board in Memorial Stadium. Seeing how horribly off-center the conference championships are triggers my OCD. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT