ADVERTISEMENT

Victory formation?

For the love of god go under center!! That last snap almost went over his head!! Why why why??
That could have given State one last play had it went over Martinez's head, I about had a heart attack. Then again, no one from MSU really was coming across the LOS, they thought the game was over. Still scary, however.

yes, victory formation was a bit of a challenge for this group too. deep snap? jump ball? why add the needless risk?

We used that damn shotgun snap when we were backed up on our own 1-yard line at the end of the 1st half too. Having Martinez standing a few yards deep in our own end zone, risking a safety...just to throw the ball OOB. Grrrrrrrrr.. Learn the damn under-center snap already!!

That could have given State one last play had it went over Martinez's head, I about had a heart attack. Then again, no one from MSU really was coming across the LOS, they thought the game was over. Still scary, however.
Lol I was right there with ya. Not sure if I have ever seen a team in victory formation from the shot gun

No one is going to tell Coach Scott Frost how to run his victory formation!!

Based on earlier games in the season with a lead in the 4th quarter...I was shocked he didn’t go into hurry up mode to snap the ball in order to score more points. Are we seeing progress with game management? Winking

Sarcasm aside...yesterday was a great day for the Scott Frost Era and for Husker Nation!!

Screen-Shot-2018-09-30-at-6.41.07-AM-718x490.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I wish we were under center too, but when you dont go under center all game long, in the cold and snow, you dont do it at the end of the game.
I will say there should have been two backs behind martinez.
Now next year hopefully they put a few under center packages together.
But this was the right thing to do. It was the safer move all things considered.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
For the love of god go under center!! That last snap almost went over his head!! Why why why??

Man O man....we beat Michigan Sate in the snow....we show signs of improvement ACROSS the board.....!

...but we gotta have a 'bitch' thread....the "that dumb Frost guy" thread....you know the one......

....why would he do, have done....will do again this or that 'stupid' thing.....he did....

The thread where all the perpetual malcontents can gather and express their self righteous disdain for this or that in Nebraska's growing and exciting program.

The sheer fact that a snap did not go 'perfectly' is proof positive to you that It should not have been done....lol....

What a bunch of Nancy boy hacks.

"....does Frost not know how 'smart' we all are...and I hope he is on the board today and will take our expert advise....".

stupid, stupid Frost.....

"fans'....Huskers would be better off without some of you.....lol

BlindNaiveDuiker-small.gif

...best to all...have a great day.

We used that damn shotgun snap when we were backed up on our own 1-yard line at the end of the 1st half too. Having Martinez standing a few yards deep in our own end zone, risking a safety...just to throw the ball OOB. Grrrrrrrrr.. Learn the damn under-center snap already!!
I was thinking the same thing...but on further review. As long as he catches the ball your risk of a safety is probably less from the shotgun. I've seen some train wrecks with a dropped snap on the goal line. LOTS of times. I did fall down and grab my chest when that snap almost went over his head. The GOOD news is that we have a RB lined up behind him and IF it gets over his head it's a good bet that the RB is going to catch it.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Man O man....we beat Michigan Sate in the snow....we show signs of improvement ACROSS the board.....!

...but we gotta have a 'bitch' thread....the "that dumb Frost guy" thread....you know the one......

....why would he do, have done....will do again this or that 'stupid' thing.....he did....

The thread where all the perpetual malcontents can gather and express their self righteous disdain for this or that in Nebraska's growing and exciting program.

The sheer fact that a snap did not go 'perfectly' is proof positive to you that It should not have been done....lol....

"....does Frost not know how 'smart' we all are...and I hope he is on the board today and will take our expert advise....".

Overreact much?

Over the course of the season I think this is most costly third-and-inches and fourth-and-inches situations. Having to use a shotgun snap really makes moving the chains harder than it needs to be, in my opinion.

There is a guy behind Martinez in the 'Victory' formation, so even if the snap goes over his head, there is a safety net. And as others have said, NU simply doesn't have the QB under center as part of their offense, so it would introduce greater risk trying to run plays they're not familiar with.

Over the course of the season I think this is most costly third-and-inches and fourth-and-inches situations. Having to use a shotgun snap really makes moving the chains harder than it needs to be, in my opinion.
QB sneaks with a big strong QB like Martinez are a good weapon. IF we line up under center though you know they're going to stack the line to take that away. We should do it routinely at points in games and then throw out of it just to put it on film IMO so the D can't cheat.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75

What did Mackovicka ever do to Frost to have him eliminate a position of such importance?

Reactions: F5Tornado
What did Mackovicka ever do to Frost to have him eliminate a position of such importance?
Frost got this system from Chip who created it at the University of New Hampshire when all of his fullbacks were hurt. He still wanted to be able to run the ball without a fullback, so he pioneered the spread zone option and college football was forever changed.

Frost got this system from Chip who created it at the University of New Hampshire when all of his fullbacks were hurt. He still wanted to be able to run the ball without a fullback, so he pioneered the spread zone option and college football was forever changed.
Not that Chip didn't do a ton but he doesn't get all credit for the spread now does he? I know OUR version is based on his but what about guys like Ault(iirc) at Nevada and makes me puke to say it Urban?

Not that Chip didn't do a ton but he doesn't get all credit for the spread now does he? I know OUR version is based on his but what about guys like Ault(iirc) at Nevada and makes me puke to say it Urban?

RichRod too. Hell, Osborne spread them out occasionally to run QB draw or trap.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Yes and No. The Spread Offense is a pretty blanket term. What Mike Leach runs at Wazzu and what Chip runs at UCLA are both technically spread offenses. However, they couldn't be more different Chip's system is predicated off of inside and outside zone with elements of the triple option sprinkled in. While Leach runs an Air Raid that throws the ball 65 times a game. Urban runs more of pro style spread system with some zone read depending on who he has at Quarterback. Back in the days of Tebow and Alex Smith he basically used those guys as his power backs and would sprinkle in some zone read as a change of pace. Gus Malzahn also deserves a lot of credit for what he's created. Other than Chip's Offense his is probably the most akin to ours. Frost and Malzahn's system incorporate a lot more of the Power play than Chip's and will pull the linemen all over the place. So if I were giving credit to the Spread Offense I'd go Chip Kelly, Mike Leach, and Urban Meyer and more recently Malzahn and Scott for how they are continually innovating the system.

I think people who don't like how Frost runs this offense (whether it's regular sets missing a fullback, a formation on the goal line or a victory formation) are in for about a decade or more of frustration.

Yeah, and WE are the ones that have overreacted.. LOL!! OK, got it.

No one is going to tell Coach Scott Frost how to run his victory formation!!

Based on earlier games in the season with a lead in the 4th quarter...I was shocked he didn’t go into hurry up mode to snap the ball in order to score more points. Are we seeing progress with game management? Winking

Sarcasm aside...yesterday was a great day for the Scott Frost Era and for Husker Nation!!

Screen-Shot-2018-09-30-at-6.41.07-AM-718x490.jpg
Maybe you should learn some game management because you have no idea what you're talking about.

We ran that play perfectly and it's exactly what we needed to do. Throw the ball out of bounds over the receiver's head was about the lowest chance of a safety you could have asked for.

I was thinking the same thing...but on further review. As long as he catches the ball your risk of a safety is probably less from the shotgun. I've seen some train wrecks with a dropped snap on the goal line. LOTS of times. I did fall down and grab my chest when that snap almost went over his head. The GOOD news is that we have a RB lined up behind him and IF it gets over his head it's a good bet that the RB is going to catch it.

The least risk would be if we ran a sneak under center, but I guess that is never going to happen.

We haven't really been in the situation where we needed to do this in the last few years.

Maybe you should learn some game management because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe you should rewatch the clock management the first two games of the year...especially the Colorado game and get back with me.

The players and the coaches have made huge improvements in many areas during the season...including game/clock management by the coaches. The future looks promising...now lets get a win in Iowa City!!

Maybe you should rewatch the clock management the first two games of the year...especially the Colorado game and get back with me.

The players and the coaches have made huge improvements in many areas during the season...including game/clock management by the coaches. The future looks promising...now lets get a win in Iowa City!!
The Colorado game was managed just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT