ADVERTISEMENT

Very disheartening comment from Fyfe. C'est la vie I guess

Originally posted by RedSea:
I don't see where it says in that quote that he feels like he is out. He says Tommy has been with the ones and the rest are in a clump behind him. He says he doesn't know where things stand right now. That is what it seems to say. Although if some of you know him personally, maybe you can read between the lines what I can't. It does suggest that the coaches didn't just take all the QBs and start from scratch of course, with equal reps all around, but that shouldn't be a surprise.
"I feel like Tommy has been with the ones, the rest of us
haven't played much. I've played a little bit but not enough to have
established the No. 2 spot."

This reads like a complaint, to me. Not simply, he doesn't know where he stands (which is part of his point), but that he hasn't been given enough opportunity (which is probably the other part of his point).

Originally posted by jflores:
Originally posted by RedSea:
I don't see where it says in that quote that he feels like he is out. He says Tommy has been with the ones and the rest are in a clump behind him. He says he doesn't know where things stand right now. That is what it seems to say. Although if some of you know him personally, maybe you can read between the lines what I can't. It does suggest that the coaches didn't just take all the QBs and start from scratch of course, with equal reps all around, but that shouldn't be a surprise.
"I feel like Tommy has been with the ones, the rest of us
haven't played much. I've played a little bit but not enough to have
established the No. 2 spot."

This reads like a complaint, to me. Not simply, he doesn't know where he stands (which is part of his point), but that he hasn't been given enough opportunity (which is probably the other part of his point).
I see what you mean, it might be a complaint. On the other hand, he seems to say that he is in the same boat as everyone except TA, so he really shouldn't complain yet. Sooner or later the coaches will have to sort that group out, presumably. I'm sure they are all anxious to know where they are going to land, who wouldn't be?

Originally posted by Wintereisse:

The quarterbacks area also in the dark as to where things stack up regarding the competition. Fyfe said he just has to keep working and it'll settle itself out.

"We're really just splitting up reps and I can't tell right now," he said. "I feel like Tommy has been with the ones, the rest of us haven't played much. I've played a little bit but not enough to have established the No. 2 spot. I don't know, I really don't know. We've just got to keep working hard and do whatever we've got to do."
Sounds like RF is complaining a wee bit, doesnt bother me. What bothers me is that at Nebraska and how offenses have evolved since what we ran under TO...if at Nebraska in this day and age, we have a walk on QB that is the best back up we have and 2nd string, then we are in some serious trouble. Not a knock on the kid, but just means that the previous regime did a terrible job with QB recruiting and/or development and actually it would be both. I dont mind having a "Rudy" on the team, but I sure as heck doent want him at the QB spot, and getting a ton of game reps. Maybe that is just me though.

Fyfe has legit talent and they are watching and re-watching every move the QBs make. They go and watch video of everything they do. They're watching your accuracy, the speed of your release, your footwork, etc etc. When you aren't on the 1st unit, you have to make the most of your opportunities. If you make mistakes that show up on the post-practice video, you aren't going to play. As a Nebraska guy that dreamed of playing for NU as a kid, nothing would make me happier than seeing him be the starter this fall. BUT, if he isn't the guy its because he didn't earn it. There's no agenda from these guys. They have been very honest. TA has the advantage because of his starting experience and somebody is going to have be better than him in practice in order to take that job away.

Lol. Do we need to discuss the players in the NFL who could barely get on the field under Blo?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Lol. Do we need to discuss the players in the NFL who could barely get on the field under Blo?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Nebraska Fan:
We used to have coaches that didn't care if someone was scholarship or walkon, everyone was treated the same.
What are you using to base this statement?

How does Riley running multiple stations and split practices so most of the roster gets meaningful reps jive with your stance?

I haven't heard anything negative about Bush and Stanton, As I have stated before, I am holding out hope!
smokin.r191677.gif

Sounds like a back up (former) walk on is butt hurt over lack of reps. Considering he was #2 last year, it would show that others have improved from the prior year. This is a good thing.

Armstrong
Bush
Stanton

These are the guys who need the most reps. We have a Big 10 title to win. Can't coddle a walk on just because he's a good ol boy from Nebraska who Blo liked.

We should also give ol Darlington a medical hardship academic scholarship or whatever and clear up space on the roster. He won't cut it and who ever we land in the '16 class will be better. Wish we could take Fyfe's schollie away and put him back to walk on status.

Originally posted by The Dankness:
Sounds like a back up (former) walk on is butt hurt over lack of reps. Considering he was #2 last year, it would show that others have improved from the prior year. This is a good thing.

Armstrong
Bush
Stanton

These are the guys who need the most reps. We have a Big 10 title to win. Can't coddle a walk on just because he's a good ol boy from Nebraska who Blo liked.

We should also give ol Darlington a medical hardship academic scholarship or whatever and clear up space on the roster. He won't cut it and who ever we land in the '16 class will be better. Wish we could take Fyfe's schollie away and put him back to walk on status.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Fyfe a senior? If so, that scholarship will be open soon enough. Also, I am quite sure promises were made to Darlington about the permanence of his scholarship regardless of his head injury. And I hope Riley honors those promises.

Personally, and this is a pure guess, I think we will see Armstrong start the season but if he struggles with accuracy/interceptions, we will see Bush and/or Stanton get increased playing time as the season goes on.

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:

Armstrong
Bush
Stanton

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Fyfe a senior? If so, that scholarship will be open soon enough. Also, I am quite sure promises were made to Darlington about the permanence of his scholarship regardless of his head injury. And I hope Riley honors those promises.

Personally, and this is a pure guess, I think we will see Armstrong start the season but if he struggles with accuracy/interceptions, we will see Bush and/or Stanton get increased playing time as the season goes on.
Fyfe is a junior.

We can still pay for his education with the medical hardship deal I am almost positive. Finish out school on hardship scholarship, hang up the cleats, and open a roster spot/schollie.

Darlington won't play for us. I just don't see the point in keeping dead weight at a spot like QB.

I'd be more worried if all of the QBs were satisfied with playing time. This to me means, Fyfe is dropping down from the pack, which to me is a good thing. Huskers need QB separation. MR cant play 4 QBs and IMO we need guys to transfer. Keep TA, Stanton, and Bush and I'll be happy. IMO, Bush will end up the best out of all of them by the time he graduates.

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:

Armstrong
Bush
Stanton

Fyfe is a junior.

We can still pay for his education with the medical hardship deal I am almost positive. Finish out school on hardship scholarship, hang up the cleats, and open a roster spot/schollie.

Darlington won't play for us. I just don't see the point in keeping dead weight at a spot like QB.
Ok thanks. I thought Fyfe was a senior so we do have him around for a couple more years taking up space. Funny how so many on this board at one time thought he was our best QB. And, I have to admit, even I was intrigued by what I had seen in his throwing arm a few times. But you are correct ... I think giving him a scholarship was a mistake.

As for Darlington, I agree he will never see the playing field. And I understand a medical hardship scholarship would still pay for all of his education. But when I said above that certain promises were made to him and his family I think one of them was that he would be included in the team and would be treated as a regular scholarship player even if he never saw the field.

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:QB. Ok thanks. I thought Fyfe was a senior so we do have him around for a couple more years taking up space. Funny how so many on this board at one time thought he was our best QB. And, I have to admit, even I was intrigued by what I had seen in his throwing arm a few times. But you are correct ... I think giving him a scholarship was a mistake.

As for Darlington, I agree he will never see the playing field. And I understand a medical hardship scholarship would still pay for all of his education. But when I said above that certain promises were made to him and his family I think one of them was that he would be included in the team and would be treated as a regular scholarship player even if he never saw the field.
I wouldn't criticize giving Fyfe a scholarship. He came when we needed him last year and played pretty well. He was one hit away from being the starter. I still think he potentially a valuable asset to the team for depth. He is in fact a pretty darned athletic kid and has a good arm. We could run him off and grab a 4 star kid that never gets above the 3 hole on the depth chart.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:QB. Ok thanks. I thought Fyfe was a senior so we do have him around for a couple more years taking up space. Funny how so many on this board at one time thought he was our best QB. And, I have to admit, even I was intrigued by what I had seen in his throwing arm a few times. But you are correct ... I think giving him a scholarship was a mistake.

I wouldn't criticize giving Fyfe a scholarship. He came when we needed him last year and played pretty well. He was one hit away from being the starter. I still think he potentially a valuable asset to the team for depth. He is in fact a pretty darned athletic kid and has a good arm. We could run him off and grab a 4 star kid that never gets above the 3 hole on the depth chart.
Yeah the Fyfe situation really comes back to roster management with the old staff. I agree with your statement of him being one hit away and being in the two deep usually merits a scholarship in my opinion. But if he ends up 4th on the depth chart this year, I just have a hard time with him staying on scholarship for another year. Tough spot to be in, I get it, just kind of wish he transferred to UNK or something.

Pennslyhusker, as for Darlington, I mean I understand the promise that was made, but can't he become a student manager or something haha. He's not even suited for Riley's offense and add in the concussion history and overall skill level....this kid just seems like a waste (no personal offense intended to him). I mean would he even be able to transfer? Would another school even be interested given his medical history? I don't know the answer. Just think it's kinda lame we are gonna be using up a scholarship for 4 more years for a feel good promise Bo made when he was giving out handfuls of roster spots a year to walk ons. I think this new staff will do a much better job at maxing depth and talent on the roster.

Long story short, both are shitty positions for us to be left in. I'm an asshole so I would prefer Fyfe transfer or lose the scholly and give the medical hardship to Darlington and let him be a student assistant to the OC.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

Yeah the Fyfe situation really comes back to roster management with the old staff. I agree with your statement of him being one hit away and being in the two deep usually merits a scholarship in my opinion. But if he ends up 4th on the depth chart this year, I just have a hard time with him staying on scholarship for another year. Tough spot to be in, I get it, just kind of wish he transferred to UNK or something.

Pennslyhusker, as for Darlington, I mean I understand the promise that was made, but can't he become a student manager or something haha. He's not even suited for Riley's offense and add in the concussion history and overall skill level....this kid just seems like a waste (no personal offense intended to him). I mean would he even be able to transfer? Would another school even be interested given his medical history? I don't know the answer. Just think it's kinda lame we are gonna be using up a scholarship for 4 more years for a feel good promise Bo made when he was giving out handfuls of roster spots a year to walk ons. I think this new staff will do a much better job at maxing depth and talent on the roster.

Long story short, both are shitty positions for us to be left in. I'm an asshole so I would prefer Fyfe transfer or lose the scholly and give the medical hardship to Darlington and let him be a student assistant to the OC.
Actually I really like our QB depth chart. We've got smart talented athletic kids with good arms. I'm sorry, but Darlington needs to go on medical. IF he wants to continue to play it should be on somebody else's watch. No way do I want him taking another head shot as a Husker.

You liked the fact that last year we had no scholarship Junior or Seniors on the roster/3 deep?

You liked the fact that we had an unproven sophomore, a walk on, and a red shirt freshman as our 3 deep?

That walk on got a scholarship. So now we have two juniors on scholarship, a sophomore, and two red shirt freshmen and no incoming freshman (please don't bring in the garbage commit who played TE that we dropped)

That is some serious imbalance in the roster.

Originally posted by hamneggs53:

I don't understand the disheartening part.
This post was edited on 3/20 9:15 AM by hamneggs53
I don't get it either. Oh well......

Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:
If Darlington wants to play and the doctors have cleared him, then he deserves a shot.
You can always find a Dr. somewhere that will tell you what you want to hear. My favorite Tom Osborne quote after he was told that one of his key players had a fractured cervical vertebrae (neck bone for you laymen), "can he play next Saturday?".
eek.r191677.gif

Interesting comments on the subject. Yet in speaking with the receivers, it seems a diplomatic consensus that Ryker Fyfe is the guy they like putting the ball in their hands. Leader, decision maker, runner, powerful arm that verdict seems to be up for evaluation.

You liked the fact that last year we had no scholarship Junior or Seniors on the roster/3 deep?

You liked the fact that we had an unproven sophomore, a walk on, and a red shirt freshman as our 3 deep?

That walk on got a scholarship. So now we have two juniors on scholarship, a sophomore, and two red shirt freshmen and no incoming freshman (please don't bring in the garbage commit who played TE that we dropped)

That is some serious imbalance in the roster.
I agree that there is tremendous imbalance. What I LIKE is the fact that we have some talented young kids with good arms AND a returning starter on the depth chart. MOST teams would be very happy with what we have on the roster. I see at lesat 3 guys on there that could be serviceable if not good at QB for us. Our QB situation is going to shake itself out fairly soon. .

I was more disheartened when the walk-on scholarships were announced last fall. The former staff always had a way of lowering expectations.

Sure, you can find a doctor to clear you, but I think in this case it is the NU medical staff with all their super fancy concussion stuff that is giving him the all clear? Maybe I am wrong on that?

I guess I just don't think that we should be ending his career for him prematurely if its not warranted.

Or maybe he could go wherever Brady Joke lands since he has no problem playing clearly concussed quarterbacks.

Originally posted by Wintereisse:

The quarterbacks area also in the dark as to where things stack up regarding the competition. Fyfe said he just has to keep working and it'll settle itself out.

"We're really just splitting up reps and I can't tell right now," he said. "I feel like Tommy has been with the ones, the rest of us haven't played much. I've played a little bit but not enough to have established the No. 2 spot. I don't know, I really don't know. We've just got to keep working hard and do whatever we've got to do."
I don't understand why this is disheartening.

I'm with Penny on this one. I love TA and will root for

him to do great but I just don't think he's going to be the passer this offense requires. From what little I have seen I think Bush has the most potential to be that guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT