ADVERTISEMENT

Universities Set To Pay Athletes?

For those that like/love the idea, good for you. Gives me less reason to watch college sports than even when NIL came in.

I’ll still cheer for the sports of the colleges I root for, but the passion level won’t be the same.

Good for the athletes who also attend school.

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

It always was big business, now it is bigger and the recipients of the raise in salary are the players. I liken it to an intern who goes to work for free but gains valuable experience in hope of landing that big gig someday. Only now, the players are employees of the state. Hence, a limit to how many "employees" you can have as that will be regulated. They have roster limits in the pros and it sounds like they will for the minor leagues - colleges. What will be interesting in all of this is the transfer portion. I could see it going either way - more transfers to gain the upper hand in getting a starting job or guys staying put as the money will be the same everywhere. Who knows, it certainly won't be the same game it once was. Shoot, I imagine, right now if a kid played things right he could play 4-5 years of college FB and end up being set for life. Amazing

The P2 will break away when they're ready and it will form a super division. They will get a bigger TV contract I will pay the athletes even more than the current p5. Things are going to change. It's not over because of this.

Reactions: BleedRed78
For those that like/love the idea, good for you. Gives me less reason to watch college sports than even when NIL came in.

I’ll still cheer for the sports of the colleges I root for, but the passion level won’t be the same.

Good for the athletes who also attend school.

So you were okay with coaches and ADs making millions of dollars a year, but you're mad that players now will too? I don't get it.

I wonder if the pay will be based on personal performance in major sports, or if the lefties will make it so a player on the bowling team makes the same as a Heisman winner?
Title IX currently is only related to participation…. But ya it would not shock me for that to happen.

Reactions: Truewooper
As it is, the system is stupid and broken. Why should ANY athletes get any extra money except football, some basketball, etc?
All the other sports lose money. If you can make millions because guys want to hump your brains out(Olivia Dunn), then go for it.. otherwise just the football and basketball players getting actual pay.

They want to play real world now, yet in the real world all the other sports wouldn’t exist because they’d be bankrupt.

Reactions: Bugeater
are you suggesting young people become financially responsible?
Not necessarily. Just wondering how this will work contract wise. Staggered contracts make things work in the NFL. If everyone was a free agent after every season it would be kind of crazy.

NCAA, Power 5, Agree to universities paying players

Yuge for Nebraska in all the shifting. One of few programs that are actually doing well financially. B1G money. Boosters can go back to focusing on facility upgrades ($). Premium recruiting.

Great time to be turning around the program. C'mon Rhule, you can lead them there!

I don’t think that’s how it’s going to work, the boosters will have to funnel the money to the schools now instead of the NIL collectives, to pay the players. In 22’-23’ Nebraska only made $14 million in revenue, over their expenses. And if you look at previous years, excluding the COVID year, it remains pretty consistent between $11-14 million. So say you want a 5* at QB, RB, WR, DT, OL, LB, & DB, how much of that $11-14 million you going to have left for the rest of the athletes department wide? I didn’t even mention getting a 5* and at least one 4* in basketball.

Here’s the link Athletic balance sheets

I’m with @baseball31ne on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: baseball31ne
Is every player now going to be a free-agent for their entire career?

I don't know how this all ends well. Money has to come from somewhere and I know some would argue that Nebraska is flush with it but the reality is that money will drain rather quickly in today's market and the cost of doing business. I think Nebraska has to work harder and provide more to entice players to come here. Then you have the haves and have nots. Perhaps each school is going to pay a fee based on the roster size and the schools ability to pay and then divide that up between all players to it is even and equal.

I like how our country is complaining on one hand about inflation, the cost of everything, what congress makes and what the CEO of these companies make. Never so I hear complaints about what athletes make or entertainers as well. Antonio Brown make $80 million but declares bankruptcy, brilliant money manager. Everyone wants the golden goose but not necessary willing to pay for it.

Agents for these kids will get rich and institutions will need to hire people just to negotiate contracts unless the NCAA has a blanket one. Once they become free agent employees, everything changes.

So you were okay with coaches and ADs making millions of dollars a year, but you're mad that players now will too? I don't get it.

Because they were students. Not employees. Do you think Adrian Martinez is making as much Money in the UFL. As say the top QB at at a power 5 school. People aren't watching because of the QB talent. They watch because it was or is their school. But since they are getting paid and are employees now, if I was a coach, they would never go to class. They would be practicing 40 hours a week like the NFL. Also it is so dumb that sports that don't make any money are going to get paid also.
Hence why I don't post much on here. Or watch college football anymore.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Not mad but the professionals signing contracts are doing their job. They are open for any and all critical questions and comments. As are professors in the classes the students are taking.

Now that the athletes who will also attend school are getting paid, anyone and I mean anyone who bitches about them being student athletes or kids or children or anything else,
STFUAGTFO. They are paid professionals to me and will be treated as such.

The passion I have for the pro games I watch is based on the teams from growing up and into adulthood. College sports was about seeing the players get better and make plays and have success and the team benefit and be successful.

I hope this better explain later my thinking and if you disagree, that’s fine. Thanks for asking about it

I don’t think that’s how it’s going to work, the boosters will have to funnel the money to the schools now instead of the NIL collectives, to pay the players. In 22’-23’ Nebraska only made $14 million in revenue, over their expenses. And if you look at previous years, excluding the COVID year, it remains pretty consistent between $11-14 million. So say you want a 5* at QB, RB, WR, DT, OL, LB, & DB, how much of that $11-14 million you going to have left for the rest of the athletes department wide? I didn’t even mention getting a 5* and at least one 4* in basketball.

Here’s the link Athletic balance sheets

I’m with @baseball31ne on this one.
Is that $11-14 mil AFTER B1G revenue? Or before?

Before from what I understand. If so, $71-74 mil is plenty for a program like Nebraska football to hold an advantage over most other programs currently.

i don't see N here but these charts often fail accounting. it's just one that popped up. anyway, there are relatively few "profitable" programs, maybe 20-30. so money is going to have to come from reduced operating expenses or increased revenue. i don't see how many majors are going to survive this additional hit like uconn and uofa without major infusions of cash from outside.
FytWY4AWIAAzixX

Free education, free food, NIL, pay to play, best medical attention for injuries, best coaches money can buy along with all the other things they get, I think they're way over compensated. Our military should be compensated to this level, not kids in college playing a game.

Colleges will start cancelling sports that are in thee red to fund those making money. Walk-ons chasing their dream to play for their home school will be kicked to the curb. Those playing will expect more and more till it all comes tumbling down.

i don't see N here but these charts often fail accounting. it's just one that popped up. anyway, there are relatively few "profitable" programs, maybe 20-30. so money is going to have to come from reduced operating expenses or increased revenue. i don't see how many majors are going to survive this additional hit like uconn and uofa without major infusions of cash from outside.
FytWY4AWIAAzixX
You don't see the big N in the center?

FytWY4AWIAAzixX
Who the hell is CBK Report.

Because they were students. Not employees. Do you think Adrian Martinez is making as much Money in the UFL. As say the top QB at at a power 5 school. People aren't watching because of the QB talent. They watch because it was or is their school. But since they are getting paid and are employees now, if I was a coach, they would never go to class. They would be practicing 40 hours a week like the NFL. Also it is so dumb that sports that don't make any money are going to get paid also.
Hence why I don't post much on here. Or watch college football anymore.

I agree that it's dumb if athletes in non-revenue sports get paid also. But I have no problem with football players getting paid. They are bringing in tens of millions of dollars to these universities. Especially when coaches and ADs are making millions. The players deserve a big cut. The fans buy tickets to watch the players.

Lots of students are also employees for the university. I worked for the university when I was in college and they gave me a paycheck. Why shouldn't athletes be employees?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Free education, free food, NIL, pay to play, best medical attention for injuries, best coaches money can buy along with all the other things they get, I think they're way over compensated. Our military should be compensated to this level, not kids in college playing a game.

Colleges will start cancelling sports that are in thee red to fund those making money. Walk-ons chasing their dream to play for their home school will be kicked to the curb. Those playing will expect more and more till it all comes tumbling down.

So many people here seem to be against the free market. If you brought in millions of dollars for the company that you worked for, would you be okay with being paid with free education and food? I doubt it.

Not mad but the professionals signing contracts are doing their job. They are open for any and all critical questions and comments. As are professors in the classes the students are taking.

Now that the athletes who will also attend school are getting paid, anyone and I mean anyone who bitches about them being student athletes or kids or children or anything else,
STFUAGTFO. They are paid professionals to me and will be treated as such.

The passion I have for the pro games I watch is based on the teams from growing up and into adulthood. College sports was about seeing the players get better and make plays and have success and the team benefit and be successful.

I hope this better explain later my thinking and if you disagree, that’s fine. Thanks for asking about it

Major college athletics has been a multi-billion-dollar business for a while now. Ever since coaches started getting paid millions, along with the huge corporate sponsors, multi-billion dollar TV Rights deals, and new facilities that cost hundreds of millions. It's foolish to say college sports is all about the team, especially with so many coaches leaving every year so they can make millions of dollars more.

If you want to watch college sports where it's about players playing for the team and love of the game, the good news is there are plenty of NAIA teams you can watch and cheer for.

Major college athletics has been a multi-billion-dollar business for a while now. Ever since coaches started getting paid millions, along with the huge corporate sponsors, multi-billion dollar TV Rights deals, and new facilities that cost hundreds of millions. It's foolish to say college sports is all about the team, especially with so many coaches leaving every year so they can make millions of dollars more.

If you want to watch college sports where it's about players playing for the team and love of the game, the good news is there are plenty of NAIA teams you can watch and cheer for.
You’re correct and I do. Also watch other non-D1 teams and give my interest towards.

D1 sports has been a form of professional sports for a while, it’s why I watch selected teams and sports.

I didn’t say it was all about team and love of the game for the players. I said that was what I looked for and tried to watch and follow those players and teams.

Thanks for the response.

yeah, well i'm old. sorry. the point remains though. a lot of a.d.'s are going to start earning their overinflated salaries.
Our new AD in working the stadium upgrades to better monetize seating and experience to add to our already healthy position. Best facilities, soon to be best non new stadium. Boom.

This effectively reduces the revenue that the university will receive from athletics. Universities will want donor funds shifted away from NIL and towards University priorities, since they will no doubt feel like they are now paying for what NIL was supposed to take of for them. But this brings up some interesting dynamics.

The competition for top players will still revolve around NIL offers, but now negotiations are starting from a much higher floor. This floor is higher than what most institutions were doing voluntarily with scholarships + NIL. This will prove to be another way to separate teams according to who is willing to just ante up, who is will to put even more in, and who can’t/wont compete.

If this cost is a function of your TV revenue, then this will separate the P2 from the rest even further. And G5 even more so. There will be a tiered system where top players are funneled to the P2. And the rest will be a development league for players hoping to promote up. Kind of like youth soccer, but with big $ available.

And there will be fewer opportunities for non revenue sports at the college level. That money they just took away was planned for funding those sports. Many cant replace it.

Reactions: huskerj12
As we continue moving toward a truer free market model for D1 athletes, the revenue generating athletes will get paid, and all non-revenue sports will take the hit. They will mostly be eliminated, except for those required to comply with Title 9.

Outside of the power conferences, scholarships and room/board will continue.

This means that Trev won't be the bad guy eliminating the wrasslers; someone else will do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT