ADVERTISEMENT

Universities Set To Pay Athletes?

This effectively reduces the revenue that the university will receive from athletics. Universities will want donor funds shifted away from NIL and towards University priorities, since they will no doubt feel like they are now paying for what NIL was supposed to take of for them. But this brings up some interesting dynamics.

The competition for top players will still revolve around NIL offers, but now negotiations are starting from a much higher floor. This floor is higher than what most institutions were doing voluntarily with scholarships + NIL. This will prove to be another way to separate teams according to who is willing to just ante up, who is will to put even more in, and who can’t/wont compete.

If this cost is a function of your TV revenue, then this will separate the P2 from the rest even further. And G5 even more so. There will be a tiered system where top players are funneled to the P2. And the rest will be a development league for players hoping to promote up. Kind of like youth soccer, but with big $ available.

And there will be fewer opportunities for non revenue sports at the college level. That money they just took away was planned for funding those sports. Many cant replace it.
I wonder if in the long run this will hurt NU nil efforts.

If Nebraskans shift donations from private collectives into direct university coffers, will they necessarily feel the need to keep the collective operating at high level.

We have shown resistance to being on the leading edge of pay in the past with coaching searches and for a state where a significant percentage of fans don’t believe student athletes should receive pay, having to fund two separate streams of athlete income seems a bit of a stretch.

This might be where the coastal cities and Texas with more advertising opportunities and larger alumni bases might flex a bit.the LeBron and shaq of the world don’t play for mid market teams.

Is that $11-14 mil AFTER B1G revenue? Or before?

Before from what I understand. If so, $71-74 mil is plenty for a program like Nebraska football to hold an advantage over most other programs currently.

Well if you follow the link and you look at the total revenue, it has a pie chart that breaks it all down. The chart shows $48 million in media rights. I don’t know what the payout is going forward, but it hasn’t currently been $71-74 million. It has been near $50 million.

Reactions: king_kong_
Well if you follow the link and you look at the total revenue, it has a pie chart that breaks it all down. The chart shows $48 million in media rights. I don’t know what the payout is going forward, but it hasn’t currently been $71-74 million. It has been near $50 million.
I was factoring in Nebraska's $11-14 mil plus a $60 mil number I saw recently that B1G has achieved for payout

I agree that it's dumb if athletes in non-revenue sports get paid also. But I have no problem with football players getting paid. They are bringing in tens of millions of dollars to these universities. Especially when coaches and ADs are making millions. The players deserve a big cut. The fans buy tickets to watch the players.

Lots of students are also employees for the university. I worked for the university when I was in college and they gave me a paycheck. Why shouldn't athletes be employees?
Again. Fans aren't buying tickets to watch players. They are buying because of the University. If Adrian Martinez was playing for Nebraska today, would he be getting paid more at the University or in the United football League? Talent is the same. When you worked for the University did you get a free schollie, free room and board, free medical care and a stipend. Again if they want to make them employees, that is fine. But don't call it college football and don't make them go to class. Tear down the whole charade.

• Haha
i don't see N here but these charts often fail accounting. it's just one that popped up. anyway, there are relatively few "profitable" programs, maybe 20-30. so money is going to have to come from reduced operating expenses or increased revenue. i don't see how many majors are going to survive this additional hit like uconn and uofa without major infusions of cash from outside.
FytWY4AWIAAzixX
These don't mean squat because you don't know what numbers they used and not apples to apples

I was factoring in Nebraska's $11-14 mil plus a $60 mil number I saw recently that B1G has achieved for payout

Nebraska’s total revenue in 22’-23’ included $48 million for media rights. What sources do you think they got $48 million from other than the B1G? They aren’t getting $70 million from the B1G on top of $48 million from other sources.

i believe there are many lawsuits contemplated by barristers today looking for a piece, not peace. these will involve title 9 issues for sure, as universities try to sort out how they distribute $20 million annually between sports going forward.

i also wonder if lower tier conferences are going to just accept paying for past performances mostly by p5 athletes as determined by house v ncaa? this whole area seems ripe for court tests.

so there are a boatload of legally difficult issues that athletic directors will have to sort through over the next several days, months, years. finally, they have to do something difficult and meaningful for their bloated compensation.

Reactions: huskerj12
i believe there are many lawsuits contemplated by barristers today looking for a piece, not peace. these will involve title 9 issues for sure, as universities try to sort out how they distribute $20 million annually between sports going forward.

i also wonder if lower tier conferences are going to just accept paying for past performances mostly by p5 athletes as determined by house v ncaa? this whole area seems ripe for court tests.

so there are a boatload of legally difficult issues that athletic directors will have to sort through over the next several days, months, years. finally, they have to do something difficult and meaningful for their bloated compensation.
Definitely murky

Reactions: AVeritas
If the schools declare them as employees im suing the school and NCAA for conspiracy.
an employee is generally someone below the executive level who performs a service/work for pay. the definition is pretty broad. i'm not sure if one takes compensation that automatically means an employee by definition. i assume that's your point, that they are something different in status.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
an employee is generally someone below the executive level who performs a service/work for pay. the definition is pretty broad. i'm not sure if one takes compensation that automatically means an employee by definition. i assume that's your point, that they are something different in status.
True

Thats all Im saying. If they are deeming this as employment work.

That means they have been cheating the system by not paying players while maximizing their work for a profit Thats slavery.

If its just a stipend then cool.

I agree that it's dumb if athletes in non-revenue sports get paid also. But I have no problem with football players getting paid. They are bringing in tens of millions of dollars to these universities. Especially when coaches and ADs are making millions. The players deserve a big cut. The fans buy tickets to watch the players.

Lots of students are also employees for the university. I worked for the university when I was in college and they gave me a paycheck. Why shouldn't athletes be employees?
Cool..then pay all the athletes before as well. Because apparently they worked for free.

title 9 is an all-encompassing law that prohibits discrimination based on the sex of students. well, are these highly paid ballers students or something else when this becomes pay-2-play? i mean what's your frosh quarterback making starting this fall, a couple million per year? title 9 is certain to be a core issue litigated down the road as $20 million is divvied up by power conference athletic departments across the land.

Reactions: baseball31ne
title 9 is an all-encompassing law that prohibits discrimination based on the sex of students. well, are these highly paid ballers students or something else when this becomes pay-2-play? i mean what's your frosh quarterback making starting this fall, a couple million per year? title 9 is certain to be a core issue litigated down the road as $20 million is divvied up by power conference athletic departments across the land.
For one side this should be a non issue as sex is a moving target. You can identify as a cell phone according to them.

It's hard to wrap my head around, I kinda hold multiple opposite opinions on the entire thing because of how uniquely weird college athletics always were...

Unfortunately I think pretty much the entire model of college sports was based on the hypothesis that players didn't get paid, they were academic students playing the sport on the side, and the education was the reward. Now that money has fully taken over the sport and official player payment has come into play, a lot of that old structure of college sports won't even be legal anymore.

On one hand, athletes obviously deserve a piece of the pie, especially in the modern era when everyone BUT the players has gone all in with just letting uninhibited capitalism make every decision and the sport just becomes more and more of a cash cow. But now that players are being paid it's probably going to take down the entire infrastructure of the sport that they were being paid to participate in... haha.

The slippery slope is clearly real with this stuff. Who is to say athletes have to "retire" after four years? That can't be legal, right? Workers have a right to find work in their field if someone is willing to hire them, so why wouldn't a guy who is good enough to play but not good enough for the NFL keep signing contracts with various schools and "work" as a college football player for 12 years?

So I have to wonder if somewhere way down the line, when all the dust settles and these sports are just lesser leagues of professional athletes, will people still feel as attached to the universities/teams/athletes? Or will it just start seeming like the Omaha Beef?

On one hand, athletes obviously deserve a piece of the pie, especially in the modern era when everyone BUT the players has gone all in with just letting uninhibited capitalism make every decision and the sport just becomes more and more of a cash cow.
for almost all universities, athletics is the antithesis of a "cash cow." the term means an investment or enterprise that provides a steady profit. a relative small number of schools actually operate their athletic programs in the black. we've discussed this before. p4 football on the other hand is a cash generator and thus the crux of the issue before us. but p4 football is the exception. here's where two of the better fcs schools stand with athletics.

• SDSU, with an athletic budget of $20 million, draws about 45% of its revenue from allocated funds, according to the most recent data.

• USD’s athletic department is more subsidized, with 66% of its $18.5 million budget coming from government and institutional money and student fees.

Reactions: huskerj12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT