ADVERTISEMENT

Remarkable changes....

wasn't Frost who pissed away the last 4 games of last season in all-too-familiar fashion

I'm hoping the staff makes as much improvement as we expect from the players this offseason

Rhule never really recovered from the first game Anthony Grant debacle

....IMO anyway.

Reactions: king_kong_
wasn't Frost who pissed away the last 4 games of last season in all-too-familiar fashion
Which is basically what we all expected to happen, or at least we weren't surprised when it happened, because we're all wired to expect failure around here.

BTW, I think if you'll search my post history you'll see that I that I'm on record that Rhule's end-of-game coaching directly lost us 1 or 2 games last season.

Satterfield is still a big question mark in my mind.
glad we haven't extended him or any of the offensive staff (Thomas excepted) beyond this season

go earn it on the scoreboard, fellas!

Which is basically what we all expected to happen, or at least we weren't surprised when it happened, because we're all wired to expect failure around here.

BTW, I think if you'll search my post history you'll see that I that I'm on record that Rhule's end-of-game coaching directly lost us 1 or 2 games last season.
I don't blame him for maryland, purdy went rogue & didn't run at least one play that was called from the sideline on the goal line

perhaps he could've, I don't know, been practicing the offense instead of running the scout team, but I don't really hold that against Rhule

Wisc & iowa, however, he was clearly on tilt

time (and winning) heals all wounds. can't wait for whatever's in store this season!

I don't blame him for maryland, purdy went rogue & didn't run at least one play that was called from the sideline on the goal line

perhaps he could've, I don't know, been practicing the offense instead of running the scout team, but I don't really hold that against Rhule

Wisc & iowa, however, he was clearly on tilt

time (and winning) heals all wounds. can't wait for whatever's in store this season!
Don't forget the Minnesota game.

Then you’ve bolstered the case for Rhule… his first year at every stop was bad. Second year was improved. 3rd year was a conference championship at Temple and a place in the conference championship game at Baylor.

Why can’t you see that?
I can read if that is what you are asking. I have read that stat on Rhule dozens of times. Does that make it anutomatically true and a guarantee? I also watched and rewatched our play over the last 5 years and our record speaks for itself. But if I believed what I read each of those years, we would be playing winning football which we have not come close to do doing. Talk is cheap, headlines are meaningless unless and until we win. We all love to win and support winners but the differences come when you can objectively look at where you have been, where you are going and what you have accomplished lately.

An example of faulty thinking I believe. People point to our “weak” schedule and downplay the Purdues of the league. I know nothing nor do I care about Purdue. However, why can’t “we” talk honestly about how good we are and how we will physically dominate teams instead of making us look like a winning team based on the weak teams we play.

That is a well thought out, rational post. You make some good points. That said, I gotta come back to why posters feel compelled to squelch any excitement about what may be happening. That just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
Bingo. Go complain elsewhere.

• Haha
the opinion police have been dispatched

fans are allowed to discuss some things, but definitely not other things, like what actually happened on the field last season

Exactly. Stay there. To dismiss that what Rhule is doing compared to the fool's gold of the past, is just being negative. Fans are allowed to discuss this without the nagging spouse reminding us of this.
since last season's record is strictly off limits, can you please provide us a list of what's allowed to be discussed here?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Exactly. Stay there. To dismiss that what Rhule is doing compared to the fool's gold of the past, is just being negative. Fans are allowed to discuss this without the nagging spouse reminding us of this.
I think Rhule has said numerous times some version of "we're 5-7 until we aren't." You know what they say about opinions, but every single one of us should regularly remind ourselves that we've seen positive changes every offseason for years... and have stayed solidly <.500. I don't see Kong dismissing anything, just acknowledging reality.

I think Rhule has said numerous times some version of "we're 5-7 until we aren't." You know what they say about opinions, but every single one of us should regularly remind ourselves that we've seen positive changes every offseason for years... and have stayed solidly <.500. I don't see Kong dismissing anything, just acknowledging reality.
@Huskerpro probably in the back of those pressers telling Rhule to stop acting like his nagging hag of an old lady and celebrate our offseason championship!

enough with this meaningless "truth" business regarding silly things like "what actually happened in games"

I can read if that is what you are asking. I have read that stat on Rhule dozens of times. Does that make it anutomatically true and a guarantee? I also watched and rewatched our play over the last 5 years and our record speaks for itself. But if I believed what I read each of those years, we would be playing winning football which we have not come close to do doing. Talk is cheap, headlines are meaningless unless and until we win. We all love to win and support winners but the differences come when you can objectively look at where you have been, where you are going and what you have accomplished lately.

An example of faulty thinking I believe. People point to our “weak” schedule and downplay the Purdues of the league. I know nothing nor do I care about Purdue. However, why can’t “we” talk honestly about how good we are and how we will physically dominate teams instead of making us look like a winning team based on the weak teams we play.
And I can ask a similar question… does last year automatically mean we will still suck this year?

Rhule has a history of building things up. He’s done it everywhere else. But I guess it’s wrong to expect that here?

You can be skeptical, that’s fine. Throw it out here and let everyone know, just like you did in this and other threads. But if you’re gonna do that, don’t be surprised when people disagree.

We all have opinions, and they are based on history. Historically, Nebraska has been touted for many years now and has underachieved every year practically for the last 7 years for sure… that said, historically, Rhule will have Nebraska on the upswing this year, if he repeats his history from other places.

That’s the thing about history… there isn’t just one point of history to look at. You choose to look at Nebraska teams the last 7 years. I’m choosing to look at Rhule and his approach his other college football stops.

Guess we’ll see eventually whose opinion stands up.

And I can ask a similar question… does last year automatically mean we will still suck this year?

Rhule has a history of building things up. He’s done it everywhere else. But I guess it’s wrong to expect that here?

You can be skeptical, that’s fine. Throw it out here and let everyone know, just like you did in this and other threads. But if you’re gonna do that, don’t be surprised when people disagree.

We all have opinions, and they are based on history. Historically, Nebraska has been touted for many years now and has underachieved every year practically for the last 7 years for sure… that said, historically, Rhule will have Nebraska on the upswing this year, if he repeats his history from other places.

That’s the thing about history… there isn’t just one point of history to look at. You choose to look at Nebraska teams the last 7 years. I’m choosing to look at Rhule and his approach his other college football stops.

Guess we’ll see eventually whose opinion stands up.
everyone's opinions are welcome

everyone's hoping to see the same thing - tangible results on the field

because Rhule's offseason efforts ultimately are meaningless if they don't translate to wins

considering the last 20 years, just like you say, don't be surprised to see people disagree or tamp down pie in the sky, high as balls on kool-aid fluff, either

Rhule has a terrible record in close games. Rhule has never built a program in today's college football environment or in a 14-team super conference

Rhule has also never had a consensus 5* quarterback to work with

there are so many factors. I don't see a single bearish sentiment in this entire thread, which means everyone - to some extent - agrees on the direction of the program after 1.5 offseasons and a 5-7 campaign.

Reactions: mgbreis and timnsun
everyone's opinions are welcome

everyone's hoping to see the same thing - tangible results on the field

because Rhule's offseason efforts ultimately are meaningless if they don't translate to wins

considering the last 20 years, just like you say, don't be surprised to see people disagree or tamp down pie in the sky, high as balls on kool-aid fluff, either

Rhule has a terrible record in close games. Rhule has never built a program in today's college football environment or in a 14-team super conference

Rhule has also never had a consensus 5* quarterback to work with

there are so many factors. I don't see a single bearish sentiment in this entire thread, which means everyone - to some extent - agrees on the direction of the program after 1.5 offseasons and a 5-7 campaign.
Even as I was just pointing out Rhule and his second year records at other programs, I was also thinking about all of the different factors that come in to play when trying to figure out what the next season may hold. You’ve done a good job here, hitting on several of those factors, including the five star quarterback, and also the super conference, it’s anybody’s guess what’s going to happen this year. This all started, however, when I simply questioned why someone felt compelled to question the enthusiasm from some posters.

In the end, you’re absolutely right. None of us should be surprised by what we see. Posters are going to post their opinions as varied as they are.

@Huskerpro probably in the back of those pressers telling Rhule to stop acting like his nagging hag of an old lady and celebrate our offseason championship!

enough with this meaningless "truth" business regarding silly things like "what actually happened in games"
You can talk about anything on here, as long as those things are Off season championships and Big Ten checks. We rock at those. Forget the actual games.

Having said that of course Rhule is doing great things in recruiting and overall excitement regarding the future direction of the program.
But we’re 5-7 until we arent.

The QB situation should at least keep people intrigued. If DR didn’t commit how much more apathetic would you be heading into the season with just HH and Kaelin? I know I wouldn’t have too high of hopes.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Even as I was just pointing out Rhule and his second year records at other programs, I was also thinking about all of the different factors that come in to play when trying to figure out what the next season may hold. You’ve done a good job here, hitting on several of those factors, including the five star quarterback, and also the super conference, it’s anybody’s guess what’s going to happen this year. This all started, however, when I simply questioned why someone felt compelled to question the enthusiasm from some posters.

In the end, you’re absolutely right. None of us should be surprised by what we see. Posters are going to post their opinions as varied as they are.
again, I don't see a single bearish sentiment in this entire thread. everyone's excited to at least some extent.

which is the actual remarkable thing, considering Rhule's record here and the gutwrenching manner by which he's arrived at it.

the last time we saw him he was blowing a much needed 4th quarter timeout by challenging to gain .5 of a yard following a 5-yard penalty by the offense.

I think we can all agree we have had the talent to be an 8 win team but consistently fumbled our way to losing campaigns.

Better turnover margins, better headspace and hopefully some momentum to start the season. This craziness has to end and I appreciate the commitment of the boosters and fans to help us get to the next level with facilities and all the coaching staff is doing to attract talent and build a culture we can be proud of. It doesn’t mean a lot without the W’s and that will hopefully change this year.

I think we can all agree we have had the talent to be an 8 win team
if we did, it would be reflected somewhere

our transfers go down levels or are never heard from again

we never have more than 2 guys drafted and often it's zero

this is a disconnect & the true crux of our issues

everyone points to our veteran OL - if those guys were any good, they wouldn't be here for 5/6 years

It's interesting that for some reason people no longer seem obsessed about how NU's recruiting ranking is affected by a new commit. I'm not all that worried at all about cracking the national top 15. Stars matter until they don't.
Every national championship team since 2000 has consistently had top 10 if not top 5 recruiting classes. It’s not even debatable.

Recruiting stars do matter. Sure there may be some diamonds in the rough out there, but as our technology has advanced and our ability to gather, compile and analyze data advances the ability to accurately grade out prospects goes up.

if we did, it would be reflected somewhere

our transfers go down levels or are never heard from again

we never have more than 2 guys drafted and often it's zero

this is a disconnect & the true crux of our issues

everyone points to our veteran OL - if those guys were any good, they wouldn't be here for 5/6 years
My point is through the years we have had more talent than NW, Illinois, Purdue’s of the world, even the Georgia Southerns :) We didn’t develop it and didn’t coach it and thus the results we have seen.

Reactions: bigboxes
My point is through the years we have had more talent than NW, Illinois, Purdue’s of the world, even the Georgia Southerns :) We didn’t develop it and didn’t coach it and thus the results we have seen.
and my point is we didn't

just look at the draft results

draft picks last 2 years:

purdue - 6, nw - 4, NU - 2

the story gets bleaker the farther back you go

literally 2x and 3x the talent in the NFL, and those are two teams we actually beat last year! (thanks, HH)

• Wow
Reactions: mgbreis
I'm not saying, I'm just asking: Did we really? We definitely had ENOUGH talent to compete with them but I'm not sure it was a night and day situation. I haven't looked at the last 10 years of draft results between NU, NW, Ill & Purdue but I'm afraid of what I might find if I dug into it. Especially Purdue, I'm guessing they wipe the floor with us by that criteria.

Edit: Kong answered my question.

I'm not saying, I'm just asking: Did we really? We definitely had ENOUGH talent to compete with them but I'm not sure it was a night and day situation. I haven't looked at the last 10 years of draft results between NU, NW, Ill & Purdue but I'm afraid of what I might find if I dug into it. Especially Purdue, I'm guessing they wipe the floor with us by that criteria.
the difference in talent drafted is literally exponential

it's normal for fans to grossly overvalue their team's players and undervalue their opponents', but there's no objective metric in the universe that would point to us having any sort of talent

you don't miss bowl games for 7 straight years on accident

the difference in talent drafted is literally exponential

it's normal for fans to grossly overvalue their team's players and undervalue their opponents', but there's no objective metric in the universe that would point to us having any sort of talent

you don't miss bowl games for 7 straight years on accident
I agree others have had more draft picks - which goes back to the lack of development by our staff which I think was a bigger problem than the talent that came to our team directly out of high school.

Would be shocked if NW, Purdue, Illinois and Georgia Southern had better recruiting cycles than Nebraska.

The accident was our coaching being horrendous.

The accident was our coaching being horrendous.
No doubt. We took higher-rated players and made them disappear while other programs we don't really want to name were taking lower-rated players and making them high picks.

Reactions: arf_man
Every national championship team since 2000 has consistently had top 10 if not top 5 recruiting classes. It’s not even debatable.

Recruiting stars do matter. Sure there may be some diamonds in the rough out there, but as our technology has advanced and our ability to gather, compile and analyze data advances the ability to accurately grade out prospects goes up.
It's amazing how this got twisted into a "stars don't matter" thing when the precise point in the first post was that many, including me, used to wonder how a new commit would affect NU's ranking and now it's hard to find a post about that. It's absolutely Pavlovian how that works. I know why some people do it but at some point they have to get over the past.

It's amazing how this got twisted into a "stars don't matter" thing when the precise point in the first post was that many, including me, used to wonder how a new commit would affect NU's ranking and now it's hard to find a post about that. It's absolutely Pavlovian how that works. I know why some people do it but at some point they have to get over the past.
it's June

go back to signing day and there were hundreds of posts about where our ranking ended up, including instant reactions to how surprise/new signees impacted our ranking

people care. a lot. and should.

it's June

go back to signing day and there were hundreds of posts about where our ranking ended up, including instant reactions to how surprise/new signees impacted our ranking

people care. a lot. and should.
That's my point. Since signing day we've gotten some really good commits and recruits that in the past would have had people scanning the sites and starting threads about bumps in team rankings. Not now, and my point is that's a great thing. The staff almost has us looking down our noses at high three stars. I see that as a great thing as long as we're patient with the occasional off the radar project.

Reactions: arf_man
That's my point. Since signing day we've gotten some really good commits and recruits that in the past would have had people scanning the sites and starting threads about bumps in team rankings. Not now, and my point is that's a great thing. The staff almost has us looking down our noses at high three stars. I see that as a great thing as long as we're patient with the occasional off the radar project.
I think it’s the fact everyone knows June rankings are completely meaningless

Reactions: Laner2

I'm hoping the staff makes as much improvement as we expect from the players this offseason

Rhule never really recovered from the maryland goal line debacle
Until NU quits calling stupid time outs, finds a field goal kicker they can rely on, holds onto the effing ball, learns how to beat a good team down, stops teams on 3rd down when it matters, I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

I think the offensive side of the ball has 2 weak ass coaches, and one specialty teams coach who has his charges firing at great accuracy Monday thru Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT