ADVERTISEMENT

UCF class....

Go play someone first, before you come here with your excuses. No one cares about your pity party.

Not looking for pity, just responding to a thread that one of your folks posted about UCF.....and then specifically responding to someone asking me to weigh in.....your choice if you want to be confrontational or have a civilized discussion......

Sure as long as you guys don't start calling me hate names.....The UF AD threw out a 2-for-1 via an interview, there was nothing formal or official about it. Plain and simple he was responding to a question from a reporter about avoiding playing UCF in the Peach Bowl.....Subsequent to that AD DW explained why UCF was not interested in 2-for-1....USF recently signed up for a 2-for-1 with UF and will be compensated about $250K per game at UF. UCF makes between $2-3M per home game which is critical in supporting Title X sports. Without the windfall from P5 type TV money, home football games are critical...UCF relies on 6 home games per year to support the athletic department....
I appreciate the response. If that was the offer from Florida, it certainly makes more sense to me now.

I still believe UCF needs to beef up their schedule, but not for peanuts. Being invited to a P5 conference would be great, just don’t know when something like that will happen.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Is there any chance we can stop having UCF threads on this board? It is ridiculous and just invites comments we do not want to hear from UCF fans. Guess what Husker fans. Frost is here and not going anywhere. Rubbing it in UCF fans faces does not make us better than them. In fact it lowers us to their level. Knock it off for crying out loud!!!!!!

I'm surprised coastal flori-duh (devry) did not sign a better class. Their strength of schedule (Sagarin) is all the way up to 89th!

Obsession. Why do you all even care? Sheesh.

'Hated to lose SF and his staff. Now wish him and every former UCF coach and N player, every success.

Reactions: GILL T
Sure as long as you guys don't start calling me hate names.....The UF AD threw out a 2-for-1 via an interview, there was nothing formal or official about it. Plain and simple he was responding to a question from a reporter about avoiding playing UCF in the Peach Bowl.....Subsequent to that AD DW explained why UCF was not interested in 2-for-1....USF recently signed up for a 2-for-1 with UF and will be compensated about $250K per game at UF. UCF makes between $2-3M per home game which is critical in supporting Title X sports. Without the windfall from P5 type TV money, home football games are critical...UCF relies on 6 home games per year to support the athletic department....

The 250k part doesn't seem legit. You have a link?

The $750k total is actually for 2 games not 3.......so it is $375K. Still significantly less than UCF makes for a home game.....

The contract, released Tuesday morning by USF, calls for the Bulls to receive a total of $750,000 for its two trips to Gainesville.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/05/22/gators-usf-announce-3-game-football-series/

Danny White is going to have to be less rigid in his approach. He is going to have to negotiate with a silk tongue and squeeze money out of the alumni.

You fellas want legitimacy. You behave like a gentleman, and then destroy them on their field. A loss of monies will happen. But more monies will come much greater than a home gate.

I appreciate Whites stance, but that will get him nowhere. ACC or BIG 12 for you cats. Have to play the game.

Negegotiate the best deal you can and then beat them. Otherwise, dont bitch.

You will have to chew some salt, but it will result in greater revenue. Danny needs to negotiate, not accuse or arouse. Nobody likes the loud annoying guy.

Obsession. Why do you all even care? Sheesh.

'Hated to lose SF and his staff. Now wish him and every former UCF coach and N player, every success.
Obsession, why are you on a Nebraska board? Why would you care what Husker fans say?

Everyone but UCF knows they are flash in the pan. They happen to have very talented kids their right now. Paired with 2 coaches whos offensive style fit them perfectly. Once this group of kids graduate, they will fall off. Heupal will move on in a year or 2 .

In fairness, they’ve been to 3 NY 6 bowl games in 6 years with 3 different coaching staffs. Not sure I would call them a flash in the pan.

Reactions: UCFBS
....going to be hard to Three peat with that class☺️
That's what they always say about UCF. But if that's the case ...

Why is UCF going for its 3rd NY bowl win in 6 seasons? And why does UCF have more players in the NFL than a number of Power programs?

Seriously, this is so f'ing old, and you wonder why UCF fans are bitter in ways that have nothing to do with Frost? Nebraska fans need to stop taking credit for UCF's prior and future success.

The $750k total is actually for 2 games not 3.......so it is $375K. Still significantly less than UCF makes for a home game.....

The contract, released Tuesday morning by USF, calls for the Bulls to receive a total of $750,000 for its two trips to Gainesville.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/05/22/gators-usf-announce-3-game-football-series/
It's half of what Florida pays a FCS team to play at the Swamp.

USF signed the same with Louisville, 2-for-1, while UCF got a home-home with Louisville just a few months later! USF fans were livid, and thought the 2-for-1 arrangements were stupid, both fiscally and from a precedence standpoint.

Understand Florida 'changed the narrative' because they were getting hounded because ...

A) Florida clearly ducked UCF, whether in the Fiesta or Peach, because LSU and Michigan have never played, while Florida and Michigan have played 3 times in 4 years (with Florida getting the far worst of it)

B) Florida hasn't traveled to play anyone on-the-road since the '80s, and Florida wanted to flip it and say, "See, see, we were willing to play UCF!" What they didn't mention is that Strickland was already talking to the Citrus Bowl, which would be a 'neutral site' game, not at UCF.

UCF's AD Danny White offered a single, 'neutral site' game to Florida, and Florida's AD did not respond. That is official record, obtained by the Orlando Sentinel. Also ... Danny isn't going to bash Florida, because his brother is the basketball coach there.

Seriously, this is "Power" arrogance to a new level.

People need to understand all the details of these crap. Even SDSU's AD came out and said home-home is the only way to go these days. Because P5s are scheduled FCS teams any way, and avoiding top G5s.

Reactions: UCF Hawk
their douchebaginess comes directly from their AD. He enables and promotes their delusion
To the tune of a quarter billion dollars in free marketing.

Even if UCF beats LSU, it's very unlikely UCF will declare another NC, probably not even if Oklahoma wins (leaving no other undefeated teams). 2017 was a freak year with no undefeated teams but UCF, and UCF got to beat a team that downed both CFP Final teams when they were ranked #1 -- all while old BCS computers usually had UCF ranked #1-3 before the end of the year. The AAC was better last year as well. It was just a freak year.

Let it go. Seriously, stop insulting UCF, and no UCF fans will respond here.

UCF fans aren't delusional, and UCF's AD Danny White is not either. Heck, in the whole Florida exchange, he just exposed how horrendous Florida's terms are. I don't expect the "Power" programs to understand that, but USF's "deal" with Florida is considered one of the worst deals ever made, even to USF boosters themselves. Half as much as what Florida pays a FCS team, and USF gives Florida 12K tickets, let alone don't have the fanbase to compete with Florida.

UCF fans recognize the Husker fanbase is huge and established. No argument. But even Florida is having trouble with theirs ... when UCF has finished ranked higher than Florida most years this decade than not.

The state of Florida has changed this decade. Miami fans have long admitted it (officially in 2015 -- they recognized UCF is the #3 team in the state, fanbase-wise). Even FSU fans recognize it. But Florida fans are in utter contempt for UCF as a result.

Let it go. Don't be like Florida in attitude. Even Mullen has been sounding like a kid on the defensive as of late, with comments like, "We own this state," and other things. All you're doing is fighting a losing battle.

UCF has a massive alumni base that is just young, but that changes within another generation. Don't fight it, it's only going to get harder with time. Just let UCF be UCF.

Wow... someone was triggered who doesn’t quite fit in here...

Didn’t even read most of it. Play a P5 schedule. Then you won’t be bragging about 3 NY 6 bowls in the last 6 years.

What UCF has done is impressive, no doubt. But come on... you’re on a husker board bragging about being undefeated in the AAC. Really? UCF has some nice wins over some P5 programs in that time, but a regular grind of P5 is much different than 1 or 2 a season.

You don’t need to be here on our board lecturing us. And you wonder why Nebraska fan talks crap on Nebraska boards about UCF.

I know you don’t need me to cheer for UCF... which is good for both of us, because I can’t thanks to so many trolls over here.

Wow... someone was triggered who doesn’t quite fit in here...
Didn’t even read most of it. Play a P5 schedule. Then you won’t be bragging about 3 NY 6 bowls in the last 6 years.
Ummm, in 120 minutes, we've only trailed 10 minutes of them ... against teams ranked #5-7.

So ... how does not playing a P5 schedule factor into that?!

What UCF has done is impressive, no doubt. But come on... you’re on a husker board bragging about being undefeated in the AAC.
I'm not bragging about anything. I'm merely responding to the fact that the AAC's SOS is not as bad as people think, and higher than the ACC, Big XII and PAC-12 some years.

Is it the SEC? No.
Big 10? Hardly.

But this "Power 5" moniker is getting old, especially when the "direct versus" of the AAC has a better SOS than 1-2 "Power" conferences per year.

Houston? They were decimated by injuries, and lost most of their final games.
Memphis? Without their Top 10 Heisman voting RB and their entire defensive line.

Attrition happens everywhere. UCF was on its 3rd string RB and converted WR to RB 4th string last year, along with down half of its offensive line, by seasons end.

At some point, it gets old ... everyone has attrition.

Really? UCF has some nice wins over some P5 programs in that time,
And more P5 wins than Boise State this century.

but a regular grind of P5 is much different than 1 or 2 a season.
And that's the argument!

if UCF had 3 let alone 4 v. P5 games a year, instead of 2, that would be the exact same argument ... "You don't play a full P5 schedule."

What is a "P5" schedule? You see the crap that is the ACC this year?! Big XII and PAC-12 last year? Oh wait, doesn't matter, they are "Power" ... right? Sigh ...

Until UCF gets a P5 invite, this argument will remain. Which means ...

It does not matter what UCF does, it will be insulted. Period.

And people like yourself will lead the charge, and say, "Oh, you won't be getting a P5 invite either, no matter if you're only 1 of a handful of teams to win 4x NY bowls in a decade."

You don’t need to be here on our board lecturing us. And you wonder why Nebraska fan talks crap on Nebraska boards about UCF.
You know, I don't post here much ... but I might as well change that with how much your fans insult us on both boards.

I know you don’t need me to cheer for UCF... which is good for both of us, because I can’t thanks to so many trolls over here.
Well, take care of them then.

But drop the P5 arrogance and ignorance. UCF is doing only what it can.

We've been dealing with it all decade ... and we will continue through next decade too.

Ummm, in 120 minutes, we've only trailed 10 minutes of them ... against teams ranked #5-7.

So ... how does not playing a P5 schedule factor into that?!

I'm not bragging about anything. I'm merely responding to the fact that the AAC's SOS is not as bad as people think, and higher than the ACC, Big XII and PAC-12 some years.

Is it the SEC? No.
Big 10? Hardly.

But this "Power 5" moniker is getting old, especially when the "direct versus" of the AAC has a better SOS than 1-2 "Power" conferences per year.

Houston? They were decimated by injuries, and lost most of their final games.
Memphis? Without their Top 10 Heisman voting RB and their entire defensive line.

Attrition happens everywhere. UCF was on its 3rd string RB and converted WR to RB 4th string last year, along with down half of its offensive line, by seasons end.

At some point, it gets old ... everyone has attrition.

And more P5 wins than Boise State this century.

And that's the argument!

if UCF had 3 let alone 4 v. P5 games a year, instead of 2, that would be the exact same argument ... "You don't play a full P5 schedule."

What is a "P5" schedule? You see the crap that is the ACC this year?! Big XII and PAC-12 last year? Oh wait, doesn't matter, they are "Power" ... right? Sigh ...

Until UCF gets a P5 invite, this argument will remain. Which means ...

It does not matter what UCF does, it will be insulted. Period.

And people like yourself will lead the charge, and say, "Oh, you won't be getting a P5 invite either, no matter if you're only 1 of a handful of teams to win 4x NY bowls in a decade."

You know, I don't post here much ... but I might as well change that with how much your fans insult us on both boards.

Well, take care of them then.

But drop the P5 arrogance and ignorance. UCF is doing only what it can.

We've been dealing with it all decade ... and we will continue through next decade too.
You don’t get it do you? A lot of assumptions in your post but too damn long to respond to them.

I would be happy if UCF joined a P5 conference. You would have 3 or 4 “big” games a year beyond what you get in the AAC. I don’t care how good you think the AAC is, it isn’t P5.

I know it isn’t UCF’s fault that they aren’t playing a P5 schedule. But to claim superiority when the schedule you play is significantly weaker is kind of ridiculous. That’s like BYU winning the NC in ‘85 or whenever it was while only beating one team in the top 20, and that team was like 20th or something. Every other team in America knew it was a joke, but BYU fans.

Keep doing what you’re doing and you can’t be ignored. It’s unfair, but UCF has to work harder for the recognition given to P5 programs. Best to you and yours, it is Christmas after all, and if you continue to have the staying power you are talking about, you will be P5 sooner rather than later.

The thing that UCF doesn't realize is that nobody cares about UCF. They're at the end of a stretch they'll likely never duplicate and the biggest honor they've received is being voted #1 by a poll nobody references. Seems like a waste of time, especially if they're going to keep ducking the big schools in their state.

Anyway, congrats to them on making a NY6 bowl game, only about 30 more and they'll have as many major bowl appearances as Nebraska.

UCF:

Breaking-news-i-don-t-care.png

Pretty much this. I'm sure there are true blue alumni of UCF that love their school and team. However, I just don't care about the school. Until they play in a P5 conference they'll never pique my interest.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
You don’t get it do you? A lot of assumptions in your post but too damn long to respond to them.

I would be happy if UCF joined a P5 conference. You would have 3 or 4 “big” games a year beyond what you get in the AAC. I don’t care how good you think the AAC is, it isn’t P5.
Not how good *I* think the AAC is ... but several computer rankings. The only ones that don't are historical-based Sagarin (although Sagarin RECENT says otherwise) and the High School Recruiting biased ESPN Football Power Index (FPI).

Let's face it, the ACC's SOS sucked this year.
And last year, both the Big XII and PAC-12 had serious issues.

Is the AAC better than the Power 5 overall?
No, Strength of Record (SoR) has shown the AAC is #6.

But SOS ... another story.
Same with direct versus with the Big XII and PAC-12, let alone ACC lately.

At this point, it's not so much Power 5, but more Power 3.
Either that or it's Power 6 ... take your pick.
Because in any given year, the SOS sucks in 1-2 Power conferences.
And the PAC-12 cannot even seem to crack the Top 10 lately.
Heck, the Big XII is sending less and less to the NFL as well.

Now no one says the AAC is the Big 10, much more the SEC.
But the Big XII, PAC-12 and, this year, ACC have been stinking it up pretty badly.

It's pretty telling when the first 5 years of the AAC have been much, much better than the last 5 of the Big East, with far more marque wins and finishes, 3x as many against AP Top 10 teams with 3x as many AP Top 10 finishes.

That's hard to argue with.

Did the Big East suck? Yes. But, and here's the litmus test ...

The Big East was already losing its AQ BCS status by 2014, before the CFP was decided upon. It didn't have enough points in the AP rankings to re-qualify as an AQ. Which is why the Big East wanted to add Boise and UCF. Which brings us to the reality.

Under the BCS system ... the AAC re-qualifies as an AQ Conference. It has the points, and even more so, 3x as many AP Top 10 finishes, as the old Big East. So say what you want, that's just fact. Sorry, just fact.

I know it isn’t UCF’s fault that they aren’t playing a P5 schedule. But to claim superiority ...
CUT! Where just where did I claim "superiority?!?!?!"

That's the problem here. UCF's AD Danny White points something out, asks for people to help "find a way" so there is "on-the-field-access for everyone," and people like you make such arguments that UCF never made.

We're done here. When you want to stop putting words in the mouth of UCF AD Danny White, and objective, level-headed College Football fans like myself, then we can talk.

Until then ... beyond UCF's sheer fanbase, you wonder why G5 fans are getting behind UCF? Even Boise State's head coach, along with SDSU's AD, etc...

Otherwise ... might as well start Division IV. You notice how ESPN doesn't run those "All 130 teams" commercials for the CFP any more, not since mid 2017?

But the problem is, if the P5 tries to start Division IV, you're going to see UCF and others file class action lawsuits. Why? UCF costs ESPN 1/20th the price of a Big XII team, yet UCF has had TV ratings that are better than all but Oklahoma and Texas -- yes, UCF would be #3, today, not after it joined.

And even 5 years ago, UCF was good for the Big XII median. UCF ain't going away. Sorry.

I'm not getting into any kind of an argument because it's a waste of time, but I will say that if UF is only paying 250K to a visiting team, that is peanuts in today's world. We just gave 650K to Akron for a cancelled game. I think we pay approx. 1 million to visiting teams like Akron & Troy.

Reactions: UCF Hawk and UCFBS
I'm not getting into any kind of an argument because it's a waste of time, but I will say that if UF is only paying 250K to a visiting team, that is peanuts in today's world. We just gave 650K to Akron for a cancelled game. I think we pay approx. 1 million to visiting teams like Akron & Troy.
It's actually $375K per trip to the Swamp, but yes, exactly that bad. USF signed the worst deal, and they did it with Louisville as well.

Especially since Florida pays $800K to FCS teams to come to the Swamp. Louisville had to pay similarly, over half a mil, for FCS teams, and USF got less too.

USF also has to hand over 12K tickets to UF for the game at RayJay too. They literally have to eat those tickets, cost-wise, because they lose money on RayJay. They lose money on games there, no concessions, no other sales.

Again, we can get into the finances, but it's a really the worst deal anyone is doing out there. Boise doesn't even touch stuff this bad.

When UCF signed a straight up home-home with Louisville a few months after USF did the 2-for-1 with Louisville, USF boosters were screaming. Even Louisville fans were making fun of them.

Again, guys, please listen -- I like Frost and Nebraska and hope [and know] you guys [will] succeed under Frost (I really do -- check the UCF board) -- but this Florida deal was crap. But Florida did it for the "wag the dog" effect ... and damn if the P5 media didn't eat it up!

Even after it 'died down,' especially after the Orlando Sentinel got the 'records release' of the actual e-mails -- where Danny White offered 1-game-only, neutral field, as well as 1-1-1, Florida wasn't interested -- Coach Mullens started the crap again ("This is our state" -- NOT!), during the heat of recruiting. They are literally 'fighting us on all fronts' right now, especially recruiting. Recruiting is down for Florida, FSU and Miami ... none are in the Top 10 so far.

Again, Danny flat out stated why, and we all know what Florida was thinking. But Danny's brother is the basketball HC out there at Florida, and the White family is Duke et al. as well. He's a ND grad, and he's not going to 'call out' anyone close to family. So it is what it is.

Because Florida's problem is the same Auburn had in the Peach Bowl ... UCF outnumbered Auburn fans. This isn't Florida pre-2013, let alone pre-2010, after which they really started to suck. People forget how bad Florida was in 2013, and how good UCF was ... which is why everyone points to the 2015 season of UCF. Damn if that wouldn't have happened, no one would be saying squat (the again, we wouldn't have changed the program either -- so wouldn't change history).

UCF would outnumber Florida fans in any neutral field within 12 hours of Orlando. Heck, right now, it looks like UCF will outnumber LSU at the Fiesta Bowl -- despite LSU not going to a NY bowl in 5 years -- even including 3rd party sales sites. UCF isn't USF, who doesn't travel worth crap, or even show up when their team is Top 25. Strong totally had multiple gaffes on that (not unexpectedly, but really WTF? type comments, on-record), seriously.

That's why Florida wanted no Peach, no Fiesta and no regular season 'neutral site.' Their attendance is way, way down, as UCF has been ranked higher than UF more years than not this decade -- might even be 6 to 3 after this year.

That's reality. This was a total offer that no one ... but USF would stupidly take. They knew we wouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssmill777
Not how good *I* think the AAC is ... but several computer rankings. The only ones that don't are historical-based Sagarin (although Sagarin RECENT says otherwise) and the High School Recruiting biased ESPN Football Power Index (FPI).

Let's face it, the ACC's SOS sucked this year.
And last year, both the Big XII and PAC-12 had serious issues.

Is the AAC better than the Power 5 overall?
No, Strength of Record (SoR) has shown the AAC is #6.

But SOS ... another story.
Same with direct versus with the Big XII and PAC-12, let alone ACC lately.

At this point, it's not so much Power 5, but more Power 3.
Either that or it's Power 6 ... take your pick.
Because in any given year, the SOS sucks in 1-2 Power conferences.
And the PAC-12 cannot even seem to crack the Top 10 lately.
Heck, the Big XII is sending less and less to the NFL as well.

Now no one says the AAC is the Big 10, much more the SEC.
But the Big XII, PAC-12 and, this year, ACC have been stinking it up pretty badly.

It's pretty telling when the first 5 years of the AAC have been much, much better than the last 5 of the Big East, with far more marque wins and finishes, 3x as many against AP Top 10 teams with 3x as many AP Top 10 finishes.

That's hard to argue with.

Did the Big East suck? Yes. But, and here's the litmus test ...

The Big East was already losing its AQ BCS status by 2014, before the CFP was decided upon. It didn't have enough points in the AP rankings to re-qualify as an AQ. Which is why the Big East wanted to add Boise and UCF. Which brings us to the reality.

Under the BCS system ... the AAC re-qualifies as an AQ Conference. It has the points, and even more so, 3x as many AP Top 10 finishes, as the old Big East. So say what you want, that's just fact. Sorry, just fact.

CUT! Where just where did I claim "superiority?!?!?!"

That's the problem here. UCF's AD Danny White points something out, asks for people to help "find a way" so there is "on-the-field-access for everyone," and people like you make such arguments that UCF never made.

We're done here. When you want to stop putting words in the mouth of UCF AD Danny White, and objective, level-headed College Football fans like myself, then we can talk.

Until then ... beyond UCF's sheer fanbase, you wonder why G5 fans are getting behind UCF? Even Boise State's head coach, along with SDSU's AD, etc...

Otherwise ... might as well start Division IV. You notice how ESPN doesn't run those "All 130 teams" commercials for the CFP any more, not since mid 2017?

But the problem is, if the P5 tries to start Division IV, you're going to see UCF and others file class action lawsuits. Why? UCF costs ESPN 1/20th the price of a Big XII team, yet UCF has had TV ratings that are better than all but Oklahoma and Texas -- yes, UCF would be #3, today, not after it joined.

And even 5 years ago, UCF was good for the Big XII median. UCF ain't going away. Sorry.
You’re a passionate fan. I get it. And apologies for the superiority comment. I didn’t mean that you were claiming to be better than all the rest. Poor choice of words.

You’ve provided a lot of good stuff to plead your case. Seriously, well done. But it is still quite long and I would guess people here aren’t gonna read it all. It’s tough to get husker fans to buy in when, for months, UCF internet fan was trashing us during the start of the season. I know, the same could be said about your board regarding pesky husker fans. Nature of the beast.

And I don’t think it’s any wonder why non P5 fans are getting behind UCF. It’s not as though that’s some amazing feat or something. Every G5 school in the nation wants to stick it to the P5 schools for their exclusivity. It’s similar to all the hate for Notre Dame, because they always seem to get preferential treatment.

Like I said previously, keep doing what you’re doing and UCF can’t be swept aside. Beat LSU and people will take notice. It reminds me of Gonzaga basketball. For years they were always winning but never getting the higher seeds in the tournament. Then one year they were a number one seed, and they have been recognized as a real player in the NCAAs.

You’re a passionate fan.
I am a passionate College Football Fan ... objective.

Let's talk Boise. Let's talk Nebraska. Let's talk Florida. Let's talk Iowa State (UCF nailed it on Purdy when recruiting, but he picked Iowa State for playing time, and good for him too).

I've been an UCF fan since Division II, no not I-AA (FCS), Division II. UCF is the only FBS program to ever play all four (4) levels ... III, II, I-AA (FCS) and I-A (FBS).

But that all aside ...

I get it. And apologies for the superiority comment. I didn’t mean that you were claiming to be better than all the rest. Poor choice of words.
Appreciate it.

You’ve provided a lot of good stuff to plead your case. Seriously, well done.
Appreciate that as well.

But it is still quite long and I would guess people here aren’t gonna read it all.
And that's fine. It's up to people to care about stories.

I know Nebraska gets to be the butt of jokes from other fans than just UCF as well, programs that never remotely accomplished what Nebraska has. I don't know what it feels like to be there -- although I'm starting to understand more (i.e., my Florida friends are getting close to being there too these days**) -- because UCF is just building its program.

Or should I say, UCF is starting to finally have some sort of 'sustained success.' The biggest knock on UCF is that it never had a Boise-like string of winning seasons. I even bring this up here ...

Catching Up to Boise: In-Conference Performance ...
Even if UCF now has more P5 wins than Boise this century, and UCF's NY bowl wins to date, have been far more impressive, than Boise's too. Many objective Boise fans admit this, but also point out UCF has far more reasons to be successful, and that makes Boise's results far greater of a feat in the same regard.

But without the continual, winning seasons, people can point to 2015 ... even if, say, Florida's record is worse than UCF's this decade. Florida had a lot of crap years this decade, with 2013 being their lowest point. They couldn't even beat FCS competition that year.

It’s tough to get husker fans to buy in when, for months, UCF internet fan was trashing us during the start of the season. I know, the same could be said about your board regarding pesky husker fans. Nature of the beast.
Well, it happened last year for us, constantly, and only got worse. But yes, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

And I don’t think it’s any wonder why non P5 fans are getting behind UCF.
Oh, it's clearly a G5 v. P5 fight ... although, I'm in the heart of SEC country, Birmingham, AL. I worked many years at a major SEC sponsor.

There are a lot of SEC fans saying, to other conferences, "UCF wouldn't go undefeated in the SEC ... but Big XII? PAC-12? Even the ACC this year? Maybe, sans maybe against all but Clemson and Oklahoma ... maybe just Clemson.

It’s not as though that’s some amazing feat or something.
Last year? Or 2013 for that matter (v. 3 AP Top 10 teams, 2x wins, and 1 loss by only 3 points against the final AP #4)? Sure, not one season.

But now? Well, if you know statistics, it was already only a 48% chance that Alabama would go undefeated with UCF's schedule in 2017. That's just basic statistics. Would they? Probably.

But now, 2017 + 2018? That is actually record setting. It is kinda a 'big deal.' And while people will argue if it's the same string as Nebraska's in the '90s, that really is whether or not you believe the Big XII was better than the Big East of 2005+.

Most will say yes. But even some Gator fans -- and I kid you not, I had a Gator fan say this in '96 -- "Nebraska plays in a conference that would struggle with UCF." Now he was being facetious, but it didn't help when UCF put a scare int Nebraska in '97. That that, and I admit rather weak, argument aside ...

The AAC is better than the Big East it replaced (technically, it's the same conference, just sold the name to the basketball schools, who took the basketball records, football records remain with the AAC). Under the old BCS system, the AAC re-qualifies as an AQ conference.

Is the AAC the Big 10? SEC? No. No argument. But at some point, this "G5" moniker is getting old. The MWC also don't like it either.

Now Houston and Memphis let the AAC down so far in the bowls, but we weren't surprised. Houston's decimated by injuries, and Memphis is nothing on offense without their top 10 Heisman voting RB, and their entire defensive front was out against Wake Forest (who still struggled to edge out Memphis).

The ACC really sucks this year, like the PAC-12 last year, and even the Big XII in many eyes. Several computers had UCF favored on a neutral field. The Big XII commissioner said TCU would beat UCF 9 times out of 10, and the Vegas line said UCF wins 7 out of 10,some computers even had 8+ out of 10.

Now the AAC isn't as good as last year.
But this "Power 5" moniker still really doesn't apply.
It's really Power 3 most years, sometimes only Power 2.

Every G5 school in the nation wants to stick it to the P5 schools for their exclusivity. It’s similar to all the hate for Notre Dame, because they always seem to get preferential treatment.
Now hold on. I'll meet you half-way there.

Notre Dame, or even Nebraska, have a huge TV following. The whole "Children of the Poor" argument does apply to many G5s. So let's talk about the two (2) issues ...

1. Access
2. Money

First off, I think we all agree that if you play at the FBS level, there should be some sort of "Access," like there is in basketball. Football is the only NCAA sport where the NCAA does not crown a champion, and leaves it to other parties.

Second off, there is the reality of money. Programs don't want to be sharing money with bottom feeders who aren't producing the TV ratings and other aspects. Temple got booted out of the Big East for this, among other things. There are other examples too.

But ... that's where the problem with UCF comes in ... both.

First off, access. Last year was the 'perfect storm.' It wasn't a shocker that UCF declared a NC, unlike in 2014, and unlike in 2019 (should it win the Fiesta). And the Colley-Matrix was just the silver lining, something even the PAC-12 recognizes (yes, Power 5 hypocrisy in action), let alone UCF's claim to a (not "the") NC is better than most of the 6 of Alabama's non-consensus NCs (it only has 11, not 17).

This year, it's even worse as an 8-team playoff would have solved everything. Georgia is in, the Big 10 and PAC-12 champions are in too. Notre Dame is in. And the top G5 champion is in. That's why everyone is looking at it.

But secondly, money. The NY Times, ESPN and US Today all did the market surveys in 2009, and UCF stood out among G5s. By the early 2010s, UCF overtook Miami as the #3 fanbase in Florida (Miami Athletics even, publicly admitted, by 2015). And that's not just of people saying UCF is their 'second team' (plenty of FSU and Miami fans say that) but as their #1 team. It's why ESPN forced the Big East to take UCF, as part of the contract re-negotiations. Pitt's AD listed everything, without naming names, on the 'control' aspect, and WVU listed the same.

But in 2013, UCF had the TV ratings of the Big XII median, and higher than the PAC-12 median.

By 2017, UCF became a top draw for even a Power team. And in 2018, UCF would only be behind Oklahoma and Texas. In the state of Florida, it's getting really, really weird, as Florida is having attendance issues, with the continued, losing program. The Gators try to deflect realities, but their recruiting is outside the top 15 yet again (Miami's has dropped to outside the top 30 or 40, depending on which site one uses).

That has a lot to do with being rated lower than UCF most years than not, this decade.

FSU finally slipped up too. But they still have more NY bowl wins, and an actual, BCS NC, than UCF ... although UCF could tie the NY bowl win number with a win over LSU -- putting everything else aside.

Now factor in this reality ...

In 20 years, UCF will have the largest, living alumni base in the US ... more than any other school ... with a football program. UCF didn't start graduating kids until the mid '70s, so its boosters are young. But it's first, major donors are now just rolling in, along with an increasing number of AP and other media journalists.

UCF will be in a "Power" conference. It's just a matter of when, and how. Right now, that's ESPN's control. It's really it. Is it in 20 years? 5 years? Next year?

E.g., Does ESPN pay the Big XII to take UCF, and pay the Big XII for an extra team, because it's cheaper than pushing the AAC's per school payout to >>$10M/year to match actual TV ratings in 2019 February (yes, next February), after which ESPN's "First Right" expires?

Does ESPN pay UCF to go independent? No, that won't happen. But it would take an ESPN to get UCF to go independent for scheduling, because that's what it takes to schedule. UCF isn't a Notre Dame, and even BYU is running into issues, even though they have an older, established alumni base.

Like I said previously, keep doing what you’re doing and UCF can’t be swept aside.
Nah, UCF will be "swept-aside."

During halftime, when UCF was leading Auburn, ESPN talked 0 about the game -- the actual, halftime show of the freak'n game!
After UCF won the Peach bowl, ESPN talked 0 about it then too, right on the channel.

No, UCF is being talked about because, on January 2nd ...

1) The CFP committee's head said UCF wouldn't have made an 8 team playoff, and ...

2) The Big XII commissioner said UCF would would lose 9 out of 10 times to TCU

After this happened, irrespective of the social media used after the game, irrespective of what Danny White said on an uploaded Twitter video short ... Dr. Hitt, one of the most powerful men in all of college academics, gave the entire "entitled" world a huge middle finger.

He said, "Danny, do it."

It was no longer an after-game punchline, or UCF social media poking fun at the playoffs. The narrative needed to change.

That's why UCF is being talked about. A quarter million (and growing) dollars in free, pure, hatred-driven advertising. And you know who tells UCF fans the most?

As the Miami Herald and others have pointed out, UCF is as hated now, as Miami was in the early '80s. Quite ironic since the State University System of Florida had talked about shutting down UCF football around 2000, much like Miami, who is actually private, had considered shutting down their program in the '70s as well.

Beat LSU and people will take notice.
Did people 'take notice' when UCF never trailed Baylor?
Did people 'take notice' when UCF lead Auburn for all but 10 minutes?

Nope. Nope.

The AAC can have more AP Top 25 teams at the end of a season than a Power conference, a final AP Top 10 team when a Power conference doesn't, and that's happened for several of the first 5 years of the AAC's existence! Doesn't matter.

That was that. It wasn't on-the-field performance. It was being a bastard program that "didn't know it's place." That's just reality.

Even SDSU's AD admits this.
Even Boise State's HC admitted they've gotten no where, and UCF is right.

The only G5 AD that has disagreed is NIU's, and have you seen NIU's bowl record against major teams? (they get blown out ... every time!)

It reminds me of Gonzaga basketball. For years they were always winning but never getting the higher seeds in the tournament. Then one year they were a number one seed, and they have been recognized as a real player in the NCAAs.
But Gonzaga had a chance.
That's NCAA basketball ... with an actual tourney of champions + at-large.

UCF doesn't.
No G5 does.
The CFP is a joke.
And even an 8-team not based on 6 champions + 2 at-large won't work.

When they said, "Go undefeated again, we'll talk." They said that because no G5 had back-to-back undefeated seasons before ... until now.

UCF went undefeated. Now the 'goal posts' moved again.

If UCF loses to LSU, there will be lots of people like yourself, saying, "Oh, you lost when it mattered." And if UCF wins, it will be more people like yourself, "Oh, LSU was a 4 loss SEC team, and they were even #11 (and end up #15+ or so" along with "LSU was down half of their defense."

The BCS computers are gone. They pegged UCF as a top 3 team last year. Last year was the best G5 setup ever since 2008 Utah ... except if 2013 UCF would have beaten a yet 3rd AP Top 10 team, instead of losing by 3 points.

But that's why they play the games. And UCF is building more and more of a fanbase ... outside of Florida, let alone in it. Regardless of whether they win or lose.

UCF fans are used to it. All of us have been on this ride this decade, some of us since the '80s too. That's why I never get tired of watching videos like this ...

Mark May is going for 0 for 3.
Lou Holtz is going for 3 for 3.
Yes, they still do videos together on picks.

Last edited:

Let's talk Boise. Let's talk Nebraska. Let's talk Florida. Let's talk Iowa State (UCF nailed it on Purdy when recruiting, but he picked Iowa State for playing time, and good for him too).

I've been an UCF fan since Division II, no not I-AA (FCS), Division II. UCF is the only FBS program to ever play all four (4) levels ... III, II, I-AA (FCS) and I-A (FBS).

But that all aside ...

Appreciate it.

Appreciate that as well.

I know Nebraska gets to be the butt of jokes from other fans than just UCF as well, programs that never remotely accomplished what Nebraska has. I don't know what it feels like to be there -- although I'm starting to understand more (i.e., my Florida friends are getting close to being there too these days**) -- because UCF is just building its program.

Or should I say, UCF is starting to finally have some sort of 'sustained success.' The biggest knock on UCF is that it never had a Boise-like string of winning seasons. I even bring this up here ...

Even if UCF now has more P5 wins than Boise this century, and UCF's NY bowl wins to date, have been far more impressive, than Boise's too. Many objective Boise fans admit this, but also point out UCF has far more reasons to be successful, and that makes Boise's results far greater of a feat in the same regard.

But without the continual, winning seasons, people can point to 2015 ... even if, say, Florida's record is worse than UCF's this decade. Florida had a lot of crap years this decade, with 2013 being their lowest point. They couldn't even beat FCS competition that year.

Well, it happened last year for us, constantly, and only got worse. But yes, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Oh, it's clearly a G5 v. P5 fight ... although, I'm in the heart of SEC country, Birmingham, AL. I worked many years at a major SEC sponsor.

There are a lot of SEC fans saying, to other conferences, "UCF wouldn't go undefeated in the SEC ... but Big XII? PAC-12? Even the ACC this year? Maybe, sans maybe against all but Clemson and Oklahoma ... maybe just Clemson.

Last year? Or 2013 for that matter (v. 3 AP Top 10 teams, 2x wins, and 1 loss by only 3 points against the final AP #4)? Sure, not one season.

But now? Well, if you know statistics, it was already only a 48% chance that Alabama would go undefeated with UCF's schedule in 2017. That's just basic statistics. Would they? Probably.

But now, 2017 + 2018? That is actually record setting. It is kinda a 'big deal.' And while people will argue if it's the same string as Nebraska's in the '90s, that really is whether or not you believe the Big XII was better than the Big East of 2005+.

Most will say yes. But even some Gator fans -- and I kid you not, I had a Gator fan say this in '96 -- "Nebraska plays in a conference that would struggle with UCF." Now he was being facetious, but it didn't help when UCF put a scare int Nebraska in '97. That that, and I admit rather weak, argument aside ...

The AAC is better than the Big East it replaced (technically, it's the same conference, just sold the name to the basketball schools, who took the basketball records, football records remain with the AAC). Under the old BCS system, the AAC re-qualifies as an AQ conference.

Is the AAC the Big 10? SEC? No. No argument. But at some point, this "G5" moniker is getting old. The MWC also don't like it either.

Now Houston and Memphis let the AAC down so far in the bowls, but we weren't surprised. Houston's decimated by injuries, and Memphis is nothing on offense without their top 10 Heisman voting RB, and their entire defensive front was out against Wake Forest (who still struggled to edge out Memphis).

The ACC really sucks this year, like the PAC-12 last year, and even the Big XII in many eyes. Several computers had UCF favored on a neutral field. The Big XII commissioner said TCU would beat UCF 9 times out of 10, and the Vegas line said UCF wins 7 out of 10,some computers even had 8+ out of 10.

Notre Dame, or even Nebraska, have a huge TV following. The whole "Children of the Poor" argument does apply to many G5s. So let's talk about the two (2) issues ...

1. Access
2. Money

First off, I think we all agree that if you play at the FBS level, there should be some sort of "Access," like there is in basketball. Football is the only NCAA sport where the NCAA does not crown a champion, and leaves it to other parties.

Second off, there is the reality of money. Programs don't want to be sharing money with bottom feeders who aren't producing the TV ratings and other aspects. Temple got booted out of the Big East for this, among other things. There are other examples too.

First off, access. Last year was the 'perfect storm.' It wasn't a shocker that UCF declared a NC, unlike in 2014, and unlike in 2019 (should it win the Fiesta). And the Colley-Matrix was just the silver lining, something even the PAC-12 recognizes (yes, Power 5 hypocrisy in action), let alone UCF's claim to a (not "the") NC is better than most of the 6 of Alabama's non-consensus NCs (it only has 11, not 17).

This year, it's even worse as an 8-team playoff would have solved everything. Georgia is in, the Big 10 and PAC-12 champions are in too. Notre Dame is in. And the top G5 champion is in. That's why everyone is looking at it.

But secondly, money. The NY Times, ESPN and US Today all did the market surveys in 2009, and UCF stood out among G5s. By the early 2010s, UCF overtook Miami as the #3 fanbase in Florida (Miami Athletics even, publicly admitted, by 2015). And that's not just of people saying UCF is their 'second team' (plenty of FSU and Miami fans say that) but as their #1 team. It's why ESPN forced the Big East to take UCF, as part of the contract re-negotiations. Pitt's AD listed everything, without naming names, on the 'control' aspect, and WVU listed the same.

But in 2013, UCF had the TV ratings of the Big XII median, and higher than the PAC-12 median.

By 2017, UCF became a top draw for even a Power team. And in 2018, UCF would only be behind Oklahoma and Texas. In the state of Florida, it's getting really, really weird, as Florida is having attendance issues, with the continued, losing program. The Gators try to deflect realities, but their recruiting is outside the top 15 yet again (Miami's has dropped to outside the top 30 or 40, depending on which site one uses).

That has a lot to do with being rated lower than UCF most years than not, this decade.

FSU finally slipped up too. But they still have more NY bowl wins, and an actual, BCS NC, than UCF ... although UCF could tie the NY bowl win number with a win over LSU -- putting everything else aside.

In 20 years, UCF will have the largest, living alumni base in the US ... more than any other school ... with a football program. UCF didn't start graduating kids until the mid '70s, so its boosters are young. But it's first, major donors are now just rolling in, along with an increasing number of AP and other media journalists.

UCF will be in a "Power" conference. It's just a matter of when, and how. Right now, that's ESPN's control. It's really it. Is it in 20 years? 5 years? Next year?

E.g., Does ESPN pay the Big XII to take UCF, and pay the Big XII for an extra team, because it's cheaper than pushing the AAC's per school payout to >>$10M/year to match actual TV ratings in 2019 February (yes, next February), after which ESPN's "First Right" expires?

Does ESPN pay UCF to go independent? No, that won't happen. But it would take an ESPN to get UCF to go independent for scheduling, because that's what it takes to schedule. UCF isn't a Notre Dame, and even BYU is running into issues, even though they have an older, established alumni base.

During halftime, when UCF was leading Auburn, ESPN talked 0 about the game -- the actual, halftime show of the freak'n game!
After UCF won the Peach bowl, ESPN talked 0 about it then too, right on the channel.

1) The CFP committee's head said UCF wouldn't have made an 8 team playoff, and ...

After this happened, irrespective of the social media used after the game, irrespective of what Danny White said on an uploaded Twitter video short ... Dr. Hitt, one of the most powerful men in all of college academics, gave the entire "entitled" world a huge middle finger.

He said, "Danny, do it."

It was no longer an after-game punchline, or UCF social media poking fun at the playoffs. The narrative needed to change.

That's why UCF is being talked about. A quarter million (and growing) dollars in free, pure, hatred-driven advertising. And you know who tells UCF fans the most?

As the Miami Herald and others have pointed out, UCF is as hated now, as Miami was in the early '80s. Quite ironic since the State University System of Florida had talked about shutting down UCF football around 2000, much like Miami, who is actually private, had considered shutting down their program in the '70s as well.

Nope. Nope.

The AAC can have more AP Top 25 teams at the end of a season than a Power conference, a final AP Top 10 team when a Power conference doesn't, and that's happened for several of the first 5 years of the AAC's existence! Doesn't matter.

That was that. It wasn't on-the-field performance. It was being a bastard program that "didn't know it's place." That's just reality.

The only G5 AD that has disagreed is NIU's, and have you seen NIU's bowl record against major teams? (they get blown out ... every time!)

UCF doesn't.
No G5 does.
The CFP is a joke.

When they said, "Go undefeated again, we'll talk." They said that because no G5 had back-to-back undefeated seasons before ... until now.

If UCF loses to LSU, there will be lots of people like yourself, saying, "Oh, you lost when it mattered." And if UCF wins, it will be more people like yourself, "Oh, LSU was a 4 loss SEC team, and they were even #11 (and end up #15+ or so" along with "LSU was down half of their defense."

The BCS computers are gone. They pegged UCF as a top 3 team last year. Last year was the best G5 setup ever since 2008 Utah ... except if 2013 UCF would have beaten a yet 3rd AP Top 10 team, instead of losing by 3 points.

But that's why they play the games. And UCF is building more and more of a fanbase ... outside of Florida, let alone in it. Regardless of whether they win or lose.

UCF fans are used to it. All of us have been on this ride this decade, some of us since the '80s too. That's why I never get tired of watching videos like this ...

Chill. Just stop it. Time to start drinking decaf. Wordy arguments don’t win arguments. It just becomes you trying to convince people to see things the way you want them to see it

Husker fans see things one way and UCF fans another.

The fanbase is lightyears apart in how they think

That’s not going to change anytime soon

Last edited:
Chill. Just stop it. Time to start drinking decaf. Wordy arguments don’t win arguments.
That's the thing.
I'm not trying to "win."
I'm trying to "educate."

It just becomes you trying to convince people to see things the way you want them to see it
Facts are Facts.
Realities are Realities.

Husker fans see things one way and UCF fans another.
The fanbase is lightyears apart in how they think
That’s not going to change anytime soon
Florida fans are similar.
They keep living on what they did last decade, not this decade.

UCF fans only have this decade to live on.
But that's all it took for Miami as well.

Unfortunately, schedule has changed from 40, 25 and even just 10 years ago.

That's the thing.
I'm not trying to "win."
I'm trying to "educate."

Facts are Facts.
Realities are Realities.

Florida is 9-3 this year and ranked #10 and will play Michigan on the 29th,in THIS decade. They've been to 7 bowl games in THIS decade.

And quit making yourself look like an idiot trying to compare ucf to Miami or Florida, I seriously doubt your program will reach 8 National titles in the next 30 years, let alone one. Again, get the pho-ck out of here and stay on your own board.

Reactions: SOHusker11
That's the thing.
I'm not trying to "win."
I'm trying to "educate."

Facts are Facts.
Realities are Realities.

Oh, please! What UCF accomplished this decade in no way equates to what the school you mentioned accomplished in the past. Now if you want to compare what Alabama has done this decade in comparison to those teams in the past, then you'd have a valid point.

Sure, UCF has made some noise this decade but its not near the level you think. I personally think UCF will have their hands full against LSU and might even get a beat down. I also think next season will find UCF fans asking what the hell happened, not because Heupal, because reality catches up.
If you want to demand respect, then you should have taken your lumps and accepted Florida's offer. That would have been a big step in proving who you want to be. What would prove even more is to schedule a 2nd P5's on your OOC schedule to show you can handle the injuries most P5's endure.

Lastly, since you've never been there, don't walk onto our board talking about how you're trying to educate us. Show us some real credentials, not just something you claim, then we might listen. At this point you're nothing more than the next Boise State that soon to be nothing more than a blip on the screen. Another thing you have in common with them, they also ditched a three year deal claiming they were better than deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOHusker11
In fairness, they’ve been to 3 NY 6 bowl games in 6 years with 3 different coaching staffs. Not sure I would call them a flash in the pan.
New years 6 bowls do not = greatness. 3 years of success does not disqualify from flash in the pan. Especially when you get an automatic bid if you win the crap AAC. If you can get into a good conf, and repeat these results consistently over 50+ years then we can talk.

That's what they always say about UCF. But if that's the case ...

Why is UCF going for its 3rd NY bowl win in 6 seasons? And why does UCF have more players in the NFL than a number of Power programs?

Seriously, this is so f'ing old, and you wonder why UCF fans are bitter in ways that have nothing to do with Frost? Nebraska fans need to stop taking credit for UCF's prior and future success.

You’re right. It won’t be hard to repeat with your weak ass schedule, but you’ll never get real respect, particularly not on this board. If you guys ever end up in a P5 you’ll understand. You better just hope you stay where you are so you can continue winning “National Championships”

Reactions: husker2612

But that all aside ...

Appreciate it.

Appreciate that as well.

1. Access
2. Money

He said, "Danny, do it."

Nope. Nope.

UCF doesn't.
No G5 does.
The CFP is a joke.

This guy is a 50 year old virgin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT