ADVERTISEMENT

Turner Corcoran to center?

slwags

Sophomore
Jan 7, 2004
Suprised no one posted this. Sipple mentioned this morning the coaches were thinking of moving turner to center. The would make our line look something like Prochaska. Nouili. Corcoran. ? OSU transfer Anthony. Thoughts?

he also mentioned Anthony showing up for a visit to campus in OSU gear that the coaches weren’t thrilled about.

I would love to see Corcoan at center, if that means we can get our best 5 out there. But I would be a little hesitant to move him until Teddy P is healthy. I wonder what Corcoran thinks of this move?

Teddy P
Nouili
Corcoran
Anthony/Williams
Anthony/Benhart

BTW, I think we could still take another OL from the portal too.

Suprised no one posted this. Sipple mentioned this morning the coaches were thinking of moving turner to center. The would make our line look something like Prochaska. Nouili. Corcoran. ? OSU transfer Anthony. Thoughts?

he also mentioned Anthony showing up for a visit to campus in OSU gear that the coaches weren’t thrilled about.
He still played for them in bowl game fyi (after visit)

I like it:
Teddy LT
Lutovsky LG
Turner C
Banks RG
Benhart RT

Moving him to center won’t change the fact he grades out in the forties or fifties in most games. Until we have an OL that consistently grades in the high sixties and seventies we will get our butts handed to us. Hopefully our new OL coach can fix things.

Think we had a captain a couple years ago that was still wearing okie lite gear
I remember posting that I saw him at Wing Stop wearing Okie State gear, opinion was pretty split on whether anyone should care.

Reactions: king_kong_
Moving him to center won’t change the fact he grades out in the forties or fifties in most games. Until we have an OL that consistently grades in the high sixties and seventies we will get our butts handed to us. Hopefully our new OL coach can fix things.
which is a complete wildcard uncertainty gamble. He's never had a job like this before where he was the OL coach responsible. Most HCs don't wing a gamble hire like this, especially major blue blood programs where they can hire experienced solid proven OL coach. However, Frost is a genius and a proven winner as a coach, so it should work out miraculously.

Agree. I didn’t think it would be possible but our O-line actually got worse each year under that last O-line coach. I just shake me head.

We could really use 2-3 good guys from the portal!

Would love to have a beast at center. Will be intersting to see how and where Lutovsky develops. Hopefully, we'll get after some high schoolers in the next recruiting cycle. Things seem to be moving in the right direction, perhaps because of fresh eyes and thinking. Need Teddy P to come back badder and stronger.

which is a complete wildcard uncertainty gamble. He's never had a job like this before where he was the OL coach responsible. Most HCs don't wing a gamble hire like this, especially major blue blood programs where they can hire experienced solid proven OL coach. However, Frost is a genius and a proven winner as a coach, so it should work out miraculously.
Aw+Jeez,+not+this+shit+again!.jpg

FriendlyRightBluetickcoonhound-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Haarberg is tall enough to work behind a tall center.

Does TC have the horsepower to identify and call out blocking schemes/be a leader on the line?

Can he snap the ball consistently?

(kind of working in reverse order of importance here)

Reactions: king_kong_
No but I definitely think Cavanaugh (under Riley) was a better O-line coach than that last guy we had.
The problem with coach Cav is he didn’t demand the work to be done in the weight room too. You could easily see the difference in year two in muscle and bellies under Frost/Austin. Matt F was the poster child in body transition. You can have great technique and all the discipline in the world but if you aren’t strong and fit your going to lose a lot.

100% on brand for Frost and Co.

Frost (Probably): "Yes, we aren't afraid to go outside the box when developing centers. The last few years we started a converted TE. We are looking at one of our LT's now to fulfill the role and we think he has a good chance at starting at C next year. Heck if our fat kicker puts on any more weight, we might shift him over."

Reactions: BringItOnHome
Why is it so many people think you can so easily interchange people at positions - a tackle should be a good center, a RB should be a DB, a QB could be a TE, RB, or WR.

It just does not work that way. We got hurt by a lack of experience in making line calls with Jurgens and I am not convinced that ever got completely fixed. How long as Nouili been playing organized FB?

Reactions: 1632 and king_kong_
Why is it so many people think you can so easily interchange people at positions - a tackle should be a good center, a RB should be a DB, a QB could be a TE, RB, or WR.

It just does not work that way. We got hurt by a lack of experience in making line calls with Jurgens and I am not convinced that ever got completely fixed. How long as Nouili been playing organized FB?

Most linemen should be able to interchange positions on the line. This is how you get your best OL on the field and jeep the best possible group out there when injuries occur.

Last edited:
seems like it might be easier to just, I don't know, recruit a few actual centers?
IMO, most of the kids who are P5 centers in high school are probably playing tackle in high school. Not many of Nebraska centers actually played center in high school as far as I recall. That would be a fun research project for one of our board nerds.

Yikes. Dave Rimmington came to Nebraska at 6-2, 220 lbs and ran a 5.35 40..... It doesn't say what position he played on the line in high school.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
If this is true I beyond astounded because Cav was an absolute wanker as an Oline coach.
Cavanaugh wasn’t great but that just shows how bad of a coaching job the guy that came after him did. To say that we had an Offensive line the last four years really is an insult.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT