ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Numbers (By Position/Ranking/NIL values assigned)

itseasyas1-2-3

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 6, 2021
I took a little time to peruse the Transfer Portal today to see who is available by position.

I used the site on3db to get this information.

It's not completely up to date since Mathis is still listed ad 98% NU and 1.6% Texas, but overall it gives a good picture.

The total number of kids in the transfer portal is 1,841. The site breaks it down by position, ranking of the player out of high school, and
indicates if the player has signed or enrolled with his new team.

I'll make this a two part posting, since there are a lot of numbers involved. The second part will concentrate on several players we are all familiar with.

It will be based on the Best Available still unsigned, and include some NIL monies those players are listed at (if any).

QB 163
RB 158
WR 299
TE 78
OT 117
IOL 108
Total of 923 transfers listed on offensive side.

EDGE 119
DL 136
LB 221
CB 205
S 153
ATH 41
K 23
P 13
LS 7
A total of 918 transfers listed on defensive side.

How are those numbers verified as far as NIL value? Do they have to be officially reported to some sort of NCAA database? Or is it speculative? Seems like the IRS might take an interest in somebody getting $660,000, and may be in reality either getting 100,000. I feel like we’re going to see some pretty big tax evasion cases in a few years

How are those numbers verified as far as NIL value? Do they have to be officially reported to some sort of NCAA database? Or is it speculative? Seems like the IRS might take an interest in somebody getting $660,000, and may be in reality either getting 100,000. I feel like we’re going to see some pretty big tax evasion cases in a few years
I don't know how those NIL numbers were arrived at.

I'm sure they will be receiving either a w2 or 1099

I'm sure they will be receiving either a w2 or 1099
I don't know how the money is disbursed to the kids. Is it a lump sum? A lump sum with taxes withheld? A weekly or monthly amount based on a full year of NIL? If so, is the money withheld during each "pay period?'

Since I didn't and don't plan to put any money into this project, I'll let others sweat the details.

Bottom line, NU needs at least 1 or 2 good quality DL's and then we can see
if this money translates into more wins, or further erodes what was once a really great game.

I don't know how the money is disbursed to the kids. Is it a lump sum? A lump sum with taxes withheld? A weekly or monthly amount based on a full year of NIL? If so, is the money withheld during each "pay period?'

Since I didn't and don't plan to put any money into this project, I'll let others sweat the details.

Bottom line, NU needs at least 1 or 2 good quality DL's and then we can see
if this money translates into more wins, or further erodes what was once a really great game.
Guarantee you it is not distributed with taxes withheld. There are so mamy fines and penalties if you don't report the amount correctly or withhold the proper amount. There is a reason there are so many payroll companies out there.

Guarantee you it is not distributed with taxes withheld. There are so mamy fines and penalties if you don't report the amount correctly or withhold the proper amount. There is a reason there are so many payroll companies out there.
It makes more sense to withhold the players nominal tax rate from the disbursement and take that issue out of the equation.

In theory it keeps that player from spending the whole NIL money and fail to have money to pay when Uncle Sugar comes for his cut.

For a lot of the really talented kids it may be the first time in their life they've had a lot of money to spend. We all know, they will do stupid shit with it.

As far as the IRS is concerned, the NIL numbers will be no different than any other payments for business services. W2 reported expenses and income will be matched up by the IRS. They don't read the newspapers to get that information.

all these college football fans poking around to find warts in NIL seem to have forgotten the simple fact that contract workers have existed in our economy since before the ink was dry on the Constitution.

none of this is new. none of it.

all these college football fans poking around to find warts in NIL seem to have forgotten the simple fact that contract workers have existed in our economy since before the ink was dry on the Constitution.

none of this is new. none of it.
I have to believe at the very inception of the NIL, the next question had to be, "how do we make sure that income is accounted for to make this new method of payments work legally?"

Reactions: king_kong_
It makes more sense to withhold the players nominal tax rate from the disbursement and take that issue out of the equation.

In theory it keeps that player from spending the whole NIL money and fail to have money to pay when Uncle Sugar comes for his cut.

For a lot of the really talented kids it may be the first time in their life they've had a lot of money to spend. We all know, they will do stupid shit with it.
What better way to learn lessons in life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT