ADVERTISEMENT

tOSU could lose thier head coach Day.

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
Not for very long. They would probably replace him with Fickell.
I think the entire CFB world (outside of OSU) would be OK with that. Fickle seems like a good coach, but he went .500 his one year as HC of OSU and would be a big step down from Day.

Isn’t OSU Matt Campbell’s dream job? He could strike while the iron is hot and get out of Ames.

Reactions: Bart Man
I think the entire CFB world (outside of OSU) would be OK with that. Fickle seems like a good coach, but he went .500 his one year as HC of OSU and would be a big step down from Day.

Isn’t OSU Matt Campbell’s dream job? He could strike while the iron is hot and get out of Ames.
I don't think one year is much to judge him by at OSU. He was the interim coach, he had no head coaching experience and he didn't have Braxton Miller for most of the year after he was injured against Nebraska. I think he would be a good choice for them after what he has done at Cinncinati.

COULD is the key word. OSU can afford to pay him whatever it takes to keep him so I wouldn't get too excited about him leaving. He probably will plant some rumors like Kirk Ferentz used to do just to get offered a bigger paycheck to stay. If you're after the money, that's what you do when you have a successful season.

IF they ever wanted, OSU could afford to pay him more than Alabama pays Saban. But he's not worth that kind of money yet.

Reactions: dinglefritz
How happy would the rest of the big 10 be if Day was hired away.

It doesn't sound like it now.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...g-in-nfl/ar-BB1cr2VW?li=BB15ms5q&ocid=DELLDHP

How happy would the rest of the big 10 be if Day was hired away.

Would be very surprised if this happens

Reactions: ATX Husker
That’s what everyone said about USC under Pete, Texas under Mack, Florida under Urban, etc. Yet those programs haven’t done much of anything since those coaches left. Even top talent still needs a coach.
I think that's one of the big reasons Day will stay at OSU. If he leaves now to coach a bad NFL team, he'll always be thought of as the guy who just rode Urban Meyer's coattails to a big payday. Stay at OSU, and he'll likely shed that label.

This. I shouldn't judge, but Day comes off as a buffoon with 5-star athletes and better than average coordinators.
Day is a great coach. He's maintained that program at an elite level for 3 years now. Ohio State has also consistently been the most well coached team as far as offensive schemes for a decade now. There's nobody better at picking out and exploiting another team's weakness than Ohio State.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Brian Hartline is probably the next head coach at OSU with the staff staying intact.
I doubt that. Hartline has never been a head coach or even a coordinator. In fact, he has only four years of coaching experience - one year as a quality control coach and three years as a wide receivers coach.

Is Fitz > Day? Very different program histories. Admission standards and attraction to the football pedigree would appear to favor tOSU.

Does Fitz have to coach better to put a quality product on the field? I dunno, and I mean no disrespect to Day, but Fitz has put together a quality product under seemingly challenging circumstances.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Is Fitz > Day? Very different program histories. Admission standards and attraction to the football pedigree would appear to favor tOSU.

Does Fitz have to coach better to put a quality product on the field? I dunno, and I mean no disrespect to Day, but Fitz has put together a quality product under seemingly challenging circumstances.

Give me Day ANYDAY.....and let him bring Fields and ANY OFFENSIVE assistants he WANTS! Matter of fact he can bring his Defensive coordinator and assistants too..

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
During the Pelini era, people were saying a monkey could coach here and get 9 wins. Does that mean Riley and Frost are dumber than a monkey?

I remember that! In fact some of those same dumbass posters who repeated that are still posting on here and haven't OWNED up to how WRONG they were!

Yet they want you to still listen to their expertise on "coaching" and Nebraska football....

Reactions: oldjar07
I remember that! In fact some of those same dumbass posters who repeated that are still posting on here and haven't OWNED up to how WRONG they were!

Yet they want you to still listen to their expertise on "coaching" and Nebraska football....

My favorite are the Bo bandwagoners who supported his behavior at first - said it showed "fire" and intensity and they liked that. I hated it from the beginning. I have been around a lot of coaches and those that act that way get themselves and the team distracted. Of course, I was labeled an idiot for thinking that way. Now, all of a sudden, no one liked Bo, or so it seems. Thus goes the fickle saga of being a fan at Nebraska

This is why Tom Allen bugs the heck out of me. And yet, he seems to be making it work.

My favorite are the Bo bandwagoners who supported his behavior at first - said it showed "fire" and intensity and they liked that. I hated it from the beginning. I have been around a lot of coaches and those that act that way get themselves and the team distracted. Of course, I was labeled an idiot for thinking that way. Now, all of a sudden, no one liked Bo, or so it seems. Thus goes the fickle saga of being a fan at Nebraska

This is why Tom Allen bugs the heck out of me. And yet, he seems to be making it work.
Tom Allen has one good year and people think he's some great coach. He's a nutjob more than Pelini ever was imo. He does have some great assistants right now, and good players at qb and receiver. But Allen himself is a highly overrated coach.

Tom Allen has one good year and people think he's some great coach. He's a nutjob more than Pelini ever was imo. He does have some great assistants right now, and good players at qb and receiver. But Allen himself is a highly overrated coach.

I disagree with your statement. If you look at his results of when he took over a defense they always got better. When he was a head coach the team always got better. Allen is a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT