ADVERTISEMENT

Top "Chess" players out there . . .

bob5150

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 30, 2004
A disgruntled DeAngelo Evans once said, "Coach Osborne was playing chess out there. Solich is playing checkers."

Satt looks more like a Checkers guy, especially in the 2nd half. What playcallers out there today are the known chess players in CFB playcalling?

I don’t know their names, but the best OCs are those that score a TD on every play call. The next tier are the OCs who team averages more than 35 PPG, regardless of opponent and game conditions. 😀

Seems like there are two modes with our offense: aggressive, where they are pretty good, and conservative, where they are completely ineffective. Whether that's Satt or not I don't know.

Reactions: huskerfan66
A disgruntled DeAngelo Evans once said, "Coach Osborne was playing chess out there. Solich is playing checkers."

Satt looks more like a Checkers guy, especially in the 2nd half. What playcallers out there today are the known chess players in CFB playcalling?
Agree, TO was one of a kind, a generational play caller and offensive minds! I am not a fan of Satterfield, yes he calls some good plays but his total offensive strategy and identity escapes me, especially in the second half, his adjustments are head scratchers! Instead of a defined strategy from seeing their D in the first half, it’s more like throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks, checkers would be an improvement!!

Seems like there are two modes with our offense: aggressive, where they are pretty good, and conservative, where they are completely ineffective. Whether that's Satt or not I don't know.
Same feeling here. With what Satt had to work with last year, and deal with (turnovers), I feel like this is Satt's first year calling his offense.

Many of us watched TO for so many years that it was obvious where he was going with his play calling. TO would regularly probe things like an off tackle run early in a game... it wouldn't generate many yards... and then he fakes that play and goes somewhere else with the ball. It was beautiful and very chess-like.

I'd have to watch a LOT more of Satt before I begin to understand what he's trying to do ultimately.

Same feeling here. With what Satt had to work with last year, and deal with (turnovers), I feel like this is Satt's first year calling his offense.

Many of us watched TO for so many years that it was obvious where he was going with his play calling. TO would regularly probe things like an off tackle run early in a game... it wouldn't generate many yards... and then he fakes that play and goes somewhere else with the ball. It was beautiful and very chess-like.

I'd have to watch a LOT more of Satt before I begin to understand what he's trying to do ultimately.
TO would get eaten alive in today's day and age of college football. No way would the modern fan be patient enough to watch his offense in the early part of games.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr_Alan_Grant
Agree, TO was one of a kind, a generational play caller and offensive minds! I am not a fan of Satterfield, yes he calls some good plays but his total offensive strategy and identity escapes me, especially in the second half, his adjustments are head scratchers! Instead of a defined strategy from seeing their D in the first half, it’s more like throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks, checkers would be an improvement!!
Oh jfc. So many people were constantly pissed at T.O. and his play calling. Was constantly told that he runs too much and needs to spread teams out more.

It's like Game of Thrones.

Glen Thomas hands him a script and working off if that looks great. But when they get beyond it, things go to hell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT