ADVERTISEMENT

Too bad Riley doesn't have Callahan talent on the roster

How can people not give this staff some time after 7 years of underachieving BS from the previous staff. UNBELIEVABLE.
Zero depth and the talent is mostly young and raw. Not to mention the returning talent is being reprogrammed on a daily basis. Rome wasn't built in a day people.

How can people not give this staff some time after 7 years of underachieving BS from the previous staff. UNBELIEVABLE.
Zero depth and the talent is mostly young and raw. Not to mention the returning talent is being reprogrammed on a daily basis. Rome wasn't built in a day people.
Still trying to find the posts where people are saying...fire him. I've seen posts where people have been critical (I.e. penalties)...I've seen posts where people wonder if he is the guy...but missing the posts where people won't give him time.

Pretty much the same thing with the boliever comments. These things just don't exist...especially with any kind of frequency.

Still trying to find the posts where people are saying...fire him. I've seen posts where people have been critical (I.e. penalties)...I've seen posts where people wonder if he is the guy...but missing the posts where people won't give him time.

Pretty much the same thing with the boliever comments. These things just don't exist...especially with any kind of frequency.
100% probability that you misunderstood his post.

Pretty sure he poster who started the thread "death of Nebraska football" isn't saying, "Let's give him time!"

You conveniently left out the words "This could be..."

Agenda?

His words after the thread title...

"for quite a while. I have no hope now, Pelini would have done better and I hated Pelini with a passion. I don't hate Riley, but he isn't going to do anything here."

So answer the question... Is that poster saying, let's give the coaches time? I'd say not...

No...the poster is saying he lost hope. I keep hearing Pelini got 7 years so Riley needs more than 3 games. That means Pelini got fired at seven years...so don't call for Rileys head after three games. Most all us...you included...didn't give Pelini seven years before you criticized him.

No...the poster is saying he lost hope. I keep hearing Pelini got 7 years so Riley needs more than 3 games. That means Pelini got fired at seven years...so don't call for Rileys head after three games. Most all us...you included...didn't give Pelini seven years before you criticized him.
Wrong... I didn't criticize Pelini until Wisconsin game last year. It was in year 7 that I first criticized him.

Saying that you keep hearing Bo got seven years doesn't mean there are no posters thinking this hire never should have been made and are making their feelings known now.

From a completely literal perspective, you're right, I haven't seen anyone say he should be fired. But please don't deny there aren't any who are thinking he never should have been hired in the first place, and these first three games are proof of that.

Reactions: omnione
Not sure where this fits in,but I went back and looked at the 2008 roster Bo inherited. As near as I can tell there were 18 players on that roster than were, or are on NFL rosters. Plus he inherited Ganz, Swift, and Petersen all of which didn't make NFL rosters but were very good players here.

Swift and Peterson were so under rated. Have we had a duo as good as them since?

Wrong... I didn't criticize Pelini until Wisconsin game last year. It was in year 7 that I first criticized him.
You are way better than me. I was criticizing him like crazy when he cost us the Va Tech game in Year 1!

Terrelle Pryor...

And Mo Purify is one of the more overrated Huskers of all time. He played at a time when Nebraska fans were all enamored with receviers who weren't Vanilla.

Damn, I was close!

16 TD's in two seasons (Kenny Bell had 21 in 4 seasons) didn't enamor me because he's not white. I don't believe anyone has more receiving TD's in 2 seasons since. Give me a 6'4" physical WR in the passing game all day long, he'd be a serious force in this offense.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
You are way better than me. I was criticizing him like crazy when he cost us the Va Tech game in Year 1!
There were times I was not happy with him obviously. But I never thought he should be fired until Wisconsin last year.

I am slow to see these things however...

That would be a big negative...I would say the closest thing would be westy and bell...and that wasnt even close...potentially westy and DPE if he ever gets healthy haha!

Westy and Reiily are both better than Swift and Peterson. Westerkamp will play in the NFL. Reilly actually runs a 4.4. Lane Hovey is closer to Todd Peterson.

Reactions: mel mains
Damn, I was close!

16 TD's in two seasons (Kenny Bell had 21 in 4 seasons) didn't enamor me because he's not white. I don't believe anyone has more receiving TD's in 2 seasons since. Give me a 6'4" physical WR in the passing game all day long, he'd be a serious force in this offense.

This passing game is built around timing and getting people the ball in traffic. Mo Purify was too slow to be effective anywhere else besides the Red Zone. Now I think he would be a valuable commodity in the Red Zone for this team.

But there is a reason Riley is recruiting a lot of the 6'0 to 6'2 more agile speed guys. Even if you look at a a Major recurit like Deondre Overton, the 6'5 4-Star WR they are recruiting, that kid is a vertical threat. He's a speed guy in a big body.

Mo would be a nice complimentary receiver on this team, but he wouldnt have the same value he had back in '06 and '07.

Quite honestly, the slow deliberate tempo of the Callahan scheme makes me want to puke when I think about it.

Terrelle Pryor...

And Mo Purify is one of the more overrated Huskers of all time. He played at a time when Nebraska fans were all enamored with receviers who weren't Vanilla.

Kid flat out abused Talib. Don't know any current Nebraska wideouts that could have schooled a legit corner like him the way Purify did. Would love to see that big body wideout on this team.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Westy and Reiily are both better than Swift and Peterson. Westerkamp will play in the NFL. Reilly actually runs a 4.4. Lane Hovey is closer to Todd Peterson.

Westy, yes...Im not ready to go there with Reilly, yet. And I agree on the NFL talent, but just as far as tge chemistry and feeding off each other swift and peterson were solid.

Tulsa, I know you keep saying no one is saying he should be fired, but do you agree that there are those who never thought he should have been hired and these three games are evidence of that? I know they aren't saying fire him, but they sure wouldn't be upset if he did get fired, even if it is at the end of the year. Can you at least agree with that?

Tulsa, I know you keep saying no one is saying he should be fired, but do you agree that there are those who never thought he should have been hired and these three games are evidence of that? I know they aren't saying fire him, but they sure wouldn't be upset if he did get fired, even if it is at the end of the year. Can you at least agree with that?
Not speaking for Tulsa, but I do believe he shouldn't have been hired. When one takes a step back and analyzes the hiring process, it's baffling. At least to me.

The only way I would could possibly conceive that it isn't baffling is if Nebraska has truly sunk so low that Riley was the best and reasonable selection.

Not speaking for Tulsa, but I do believe he shouldn't have been hired. When one takes a step back and analyzes the hiring process, it's baffling. At least to me.

The only way I would could possibly conceive that it isn't baffling is if Nebraska has truly sunk so low that Riley was the best and reasonable selection.

Piss off.

Westy, yes...Im not ready to go there with Reilly, yet. And I agree on the NFL talent, but just as far as tge chemistry and feeding off each other swift and peterson were solid.
B Reilly is 5th in the league at yards per catch. He's averaging almost 17 yards per reception. Peterson was a great player, but he wasn't a threat to stretch the field like Reilly.

Reactions: SDhusker12
B Reilly is 5th in the league at yards per catch. He's averaging almost 17 yards per reception. Peterson was a great player, but he wasn't a threat to stretch the field like Reilly.
I do think Reilly is a big time receiver. The kid has some wheels and generally has some great hands. He took some shots on Saturday and came back and kept catching the ball.

Thanks for answering… I appreciate it. I believe there are good reasons for the hire, but until more time passes we won't know for sure how this hire will be viewed. you might be right, but I sure hope you aren't.

Considering the depth chart right now, or I should say a year from now when the 2016 class is on campus, no doubt getting speed on the outside is the top priority. We're in with some 2016/2017 guys now that are of good size (6'3"+) that aren't going to stretch the field (burners) at the next level so I'll stand with it, Langsdorf and Riley would take a 6'4" 220 pounder like MP and most definitely I could see him in this current offense.

I'll bite, even acknowledging the previous exchange.

I'm not necessarily of the mind that he shouldn't have been hired, and certainly am not advocating he be fired, but I have a very hard time believing he was the best candidate (defined as a guy who if offered would have taken the job.) By not a single, definable measurable or metric would have anyone thought that he would be the best man on the ADs list. The record and age argued solidly against him, heck even against the potential of his candidacy. I mean whod'a thunk Riley anyway. He'd turned down more prestigious college jobs over the years.

Who would have been a better candidate? Impossible for me to say, because I wasn't charged in asking around. Impossible to know, too, if the guy who's doing it only asked one guy, apparently, and that was Riley. I would hope that the searcher would have at least kicked Gary Patterson's tires, for instance. Those people are paid to know who to ask and to know who might listen.

But what that meant for me (the absence of measurable reasons why to hire Riley), I was left with the very strong impression that N focused on him for the anti-Pelini characteristics. Good for Eichorst knowing, having a feeling or maybe just getting lucky that he found Riley responsive, but I still feel that he focused on him because (I say cynically) Riley better fit as a member of he and Harvey's book club.

I'd feel this way if N was 3-0 and feel it as they sit 1-2. It's how I felt all summer.

I don't think he shouldn't have been hired. I don't think he should be fired. But I do have, and see no reason at this point to abandon, strong feelings that he was not the best coach nebraska could have hired. It's unprovable but that's how I feel.

I'm not necessarily of the mind that he shouldn't have been hired, and certainly am not advocating he be fired, but I have a very hard time believing he was the best candidate (defined as a guy who if offered would have taken the job.) By not a single, definable measurable or metric would have anyone thought that he would be the best man on the ADs list. The record and age argued solidly against him, heck even against the potential of his candidacy. I mean whod'a thunk Riley anyway. He'd turned down more prestigious college jobs over the years.

Who would have been a better candidate? Impossible for me to say, because I wasn't charged in asking around. Impossible to know, too, if the guy who's doing it only asked one guy, apparently, and that was Riley. I would hope that the searcher would have at least kicked Gary Patterson's tires, for instance. Those people are paid to know who to ask and to know who might listen.

But what that meant for me (the absence of measurable reasons why to hire Riley), I was left with the very strong impression that N focused on him for the anti-Pelini characteristics. Good for Eichorst knowing, having a feeling or maybe just getting lucky that he found Riley responsive, but I still feel that he focused on him because (I say cynically) Riley better fit as a member of he and Harvey's book club.

I'd feel this way if N was 3-0 and feel it as they sit 1-2. It's how I felt all summer.

I don't think he shouldn't have been hired. I don't think he should be fired. But I do have, and see no reason at this point to abandon, strong feelings that he was not the best coach nebraska could have hired. It's unprovable but that's how I feel.
Thanks for the response Mel. Truth is, this hire, by nature of the search and the end result (Riley hire) lends itself to scrutiny. It could turn out to be an amazing hire or a big letdown.

I tend to think it'll prove to be good, but what do I know? I'm fine with discussion over the hire... But there doesn't appear to be much middle ground... It seems for many you either love the hire or hate it. At least, those who are shouting the loudest seem to be coming down on one side or the other...

I get what you are saying and I totally agree, but it is such a small sample size right now so that is why I am not ready to go there yet. He showed he was decent last year, too, but this year has been way better.

I get what you are saying and I totally agree, but it is such a small sample size right now so that is why I am not ready to go there yet. He showed he was decent last year, too, but this year has been way better.
Well he was actually injured most of last season.. And while it is a small sample size, Nebraska has been paying real teams in the non con compared to the rest of the league. Reilly is a great player.

[QUOTE="timnsun, post: 795758, member: 10714"

I tend to think it'll prove to be good, but what do I know? I'm fine with discussion over the hire... But there doesn't appear to be much middle ground... It seems for many you either love the hire or hate it. At least, those who are shouting the loudest seem to be coming down on one side or the other...[/QUOTE]

The it's either black or white opinions we see here rests solely on the sample size of games played. 3 games in, it is easy to make a case for either opinion.

Reactions: timnsun

Riley was EXACTLY what the doctor ordered for NU and it just baffles me that people question it after the last 9 months of watching and listening to this staff. Would it have been nice to get a guy maybe a few years younger than Riley? Maybe. But after the inexperience, immaturity and personal problems of the last staff a drastic change to a known commodity as far as expertise and stability was essential. We hired one of the MOST respected teachers, coaches and human beings in the profession BY HIS PEERS and people are bitching because he had mediocre results at Oregon State. Oregon State has still been putting as many guys in the NFL as NU has with all the financial and reputation advantages that NU has had over the last 20 years. The guy has a great staff and flat out knows how to run a program and coach. That is a HUGE leap forward from the clown act we watched for the last 7 years.

Well he was actually injured most of last season.. And while it is a small sample size, Nebraska has been paying real teams in the non con compared to the rest of the league. Reilly is a great player.

That is a great point on the nonconf. I will say this...I agree with you as of now and if he continues to produce throughout the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT