ADVERTISEMENT

Too bad Riley doesn't have Callahan talent on the roster

Actually one of us was posting true, verifiable stats. The other was posting conjecture.

Start with the score in the second and third quarters. Miami 13 Nebraska 10.

Domination by the Huskers.

More bullshit from you.

Start with the score in the second and third quarters. Miami 10 Nebraska 3.

Domination by the Huskers.

More bullshit from you.
No idea what those numbers mean. At a quick glance at the 2nd quarter we each scored three but we outgained them in terms of yardage.

No idea what those numbers mean. At a quick glance at the 2nd quarter we each scored three but we outgained them in terms of yardage.

Edited earlier. We didn't even win the scoring battle yet we dominated. More bullshit.

Callahans issue was he was an elite recruiter but not the greatest coach or at least wouldnt fire Coz.
The shit im hearing about Riley only after 3 games is way to early, ill call it as it is after he gets a couple years and a real chance at this gig first. Im fustrated as well lossing close gamea but i wont run him down or try and act like hes already ruining the program before his first is even up.

You weren't paying attention. Before Riley even coached a game many brought up our lack of talent across the board. With that said, I have stated multiple times I believe we do have enough talent to win our division. But if people think we don't have some major holes to fill in the upcoming classes you are sadly mistaken.
The d-line and secondary were supposed to be pretty good, 1 DE and LB were the doubtful positions.

The d-line and secondary were supposed to be pretty good, 1 DE and LB were the doubtful positions.

We all thought Crick would do better than he did when Suh left. Its kinda hard to tell what effect Gregory leaving has had on Collins with a new staff and scheme, but its pretty easy to tell that Gregory was pretty much our only pass rush.

Riley did say in fall camp that the big plays were the number one problem. He probably wasn't blowing smoke, and I'm not going to pretend to be a secondary coach and know exactly how long it takes to fix them. Suffice it to say, "not fast enough", is the real answer.

We all thought Crick would do better than he did when Suh left. Its kinda hard to tell what effect Gregory leaving has had on Collins with a new staff and scheme, but its pretty easy to tell that Gregory was pretty much our only pass rush.

Riley did say in fall camp that the big plays were the number one problem. He probably wasn't blowing smoke, and I'm not going to pretend to be a secondary coach and know exactly how long it takes to fix them. Suffice it to say, "not fast enough", is the real answer.

Crick actually did pretty dang good once Suh left. His junior year was pretty damn good, and he got hurt his senior year.

DT, not DL, were expected to be good. Except, I've told this forum about piss poor DE recruiting. McMullen and Gangwish, backed up by a TE and walk-on, let that sink in...

OL was doubtful, DE was doubtful, LB was doubtful, that's been discussed prior to Peelini grt canned. People told us, "Bo knows recruiting" but here we are.

This is the exact reason I wanted that piece of sh1t to coach one more year.

Seems like Frankie S has finally rolled off the never ending argument/kvetching of NU's head FB coach. We only go Billy deep now, but I do note that Ross Pilkington was mentioned. Winking
Mike Riley may ultimately not be the solution to the HC conundrum at NU. But given that the paint may not be quite dry on the walls of his house (has he even bought one yet?), maybe some of you should hold off before pronouncing him a failure.
We have depth issues at a key position, are still waiting for a RB to seize his moment, and some secondary issues that needed sorting out. Our QB has shown the greatest will to win, yet makes some boneheaded decisions (sounds a little like a former QB from out West).
We are still in a holding pattern. Did anyone think that would magically change overnight with a new coach?

It_s_Gonna_Be_Ok.jpg

I still remember the class he had gong that year he got fired, i about cryed seeing those guys decommit from us when he got canned. We had a top 3 class at that time. 5 star QB Gabbert, 3 or 4 4 star O lineman, 100 top RB in Jonas Grey and a few other 5.8 rated 4 star players.
He really was a recruiting machine. If only he hadn't been so loyal :(

Not sure where this fits in,but I went back and looked at the 2008 roster Bo inherited. As near as I can tell there were 18 players on that roster than were, or are on NFL rosters. Plus he inherited Ganz, Swift, and Petersen all of which didn't make NFL rosters but were very good players here.
How many projected NFL'ers on this years squad you think?

Crick actually did pretty dang good once Suh left. His junior year was pretty damn good, and he got hurt his senior year.

He was good, never said he wasn't, but he didn't really quite live up to the hype of the levels fans thought he might reach. There were a fair number of games where the idle commentator chatter was about him having a big game with a handful of sacks against lesser teams, and then kind of being AWOL against some of our tougher opponents.

He was good, never said he wasn't, but he didn't really quite live up to the hype of the levels fans thought he might reach. There were a fair number of games where the idle commentator chatter was about him having a big game with a handful of sacks against lesser teams, and then kind of being AWOL against some of our tougher opponents.

Neither here nor there, but I think he did live up to the hype in the grand scheme of things. A lot of people thought that Suh was the only reason he made plays, and would take a step back. The season after Suh left here are his accolades.

• First-Team All-American (Rivals.com, 2010)
  • Second-Team All-American (AP, CBSSports.com, SI.com, 2010)
  • Rotary Lombardi Award Semifinalist (1 of 12, 2010)
  • Lott Trophy Quarterfinalist (1 of 23, 2010)
  • First-Team All-Big 12 (Unanimous, 2010)
Here is the stats:

2009 14/14 31 42 73 15-63 9.5-57 0-2 0 4 0 16
2010 14/14 36 34 70 17-92 9.5-87 1-0 0 2 0 10

I don't really care, but Crick was pretty salty after the graduation of Suh.

Neither here nor there, but I think he did live up to the hype in the grand scheme of things. A lot of people thought that Suh was the only reason he made plays, and would take a step back. The season after Suh left here are his accolades.

• First-Team All-American (Rivals.com, 2010)
  • Second-Team All-American (AP, CBSSports.com, SI.com, 2010)
  • Rotary Lombardi Award Semifinalist (1 of 12, 2010)
  • Lott Trophy Quarterfinalist (1 of 23, 2010)
  • First-Team All-Big 12 (Unanimous, 2010)
Here is the stats:

2009 14/14 31 42 73 15-63 9.5-57 0-2 0 4 0 16
2010 14/14 36 34 70 17-92 9.5-87 1-0 0 2 0 10

I don't really care, but Crick was pretty salty after the graduation of Suh.

Yah, I'd take him right now. We need players!

Whatever you say. It's odd your trolling is allowed here.

Continue with the excuse-making...
Do you think that Bo would ever do anything but lose 4 games a year here with at least one blowout loss? I can show you 7 examples that he wouldnt do any better than that.

The cupboards are bare plain and simple. Bo checked out 2 seasons ago and we have no depth. Trust me this team had way more talent after Callahan than it does after Pelini especially on defense.

Riley and Langsdorf might very well develop more NFL guys out of this roster than some think are on it now. I just heard somebody yesterday say that they think with continued development and his arm that TA will find a roster on Sundays. He's learning to run a pro style offense from former NFL coaches and learning to go through progressions. There just aren't that many kids out there getting developed that way with TA's God given athletic ability and arm strength. We've got freshman WR and a sophomore returner that will have a shot. Lewis will get a look somewhere and then who knows on the other young O linemen. On defense we have ONE DT, one safety (for now), and probably a freshman linebacker that will possibly play on Sunday. Other than that, who knows. MRI? Bando? They could sign as free agents maybe. The only lock I would say is Collins at DT.

Riley and Langsdorf might very well develop more NFL guys out of this roster than some think are on it now. I just heard somebody yesterday say that they think with continued development and his arm that TA will find a roster on Sundays. He's learning to run a pro style offense from former NFL coaches and learning to go through progressions. There just aren't that many kids out there getting developed that way with TA's God given athletic ability and arm strength. We've got freshman WR and a sophomore returner that will have a shot. Lewis will get a look somewhere and then who knows on the other young O linemen. On defense we have ONE DT, one safety (for now), and probably a freshman linebacker that will possibly play on Sunday. Other than that, who knows. MRI? Bando? They could sign as free agents maybe. The only lock I would say is Collins at DT.
Thanks for your insight, very hard to predict at this point. Agree on TA and player development, watching the Day by Day, Husker football show, recurring theme in the player interviews is "How much we have learned," particularly from the guys on offense.

hard to say. right now I would say the only guys that seem like locks are collins, Gerry, and Foltz but you never know about how some of these younger guys will pan out. There will probably be several more. BTW I just looked at the 2008 roster a little closer and found that there were 21, not 18 former or current NFL players. Some of them only made the practice squad, but they're still NFL players

Last edited:
Bo inherited quite a bit more talent and a waaay easier OOC schedule to boot. The comparisons at this point are pretty dumb.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
So...not interested in answering why were 17 points and over 100 yards better in the last three quarters?
I'll answer. Because coaching. Because adjustments were made. Because these coaches are so good they are able to overcome a lack of depth and a lack of speed at the defensive skill positions once they can see where their biggest matchup problems lie.

Reactions: StrongArm517
I'll answer. Because coaching. Because adjustments were made. Because these coaches are so good they are able to overcome a lack of depth and a lack of speed at the defensive skill positions once they can see where their biggest matchup problems lie.
It was good adjustments. We heard that about this staff.

Bill recruited some great defensive players that made up an excellent defense after he was fired.

But Terrence Nunn, Frantz Hardy, and even Mo Purify would barely fit into this current receiving corp. Hell, I kind of feel bad for Bill Callahan. He arrives and inherits Grant Mulkey and Ross Pilkington.

Riley has inherited a lot more offensive skill talent. Shit, if only this team had Shanle, Carriker, Stew Bradley, Lekevin Smith, Fabian Washington, the Bullock Twins, and Barrett Ruud... We might have something.

It remains to be seen if Riley can recruit like Bill Callahan. But I also believe Riley and staff are better at targeting and identifying offensive skill talent than Bill Callahan.
Bill recruited some great defensive players that made up an excellent defense after he was fired.

But Terrence Nunn, Frantz Hardy, and even Mo Purify would barely fit into this current receiving corp. Hell, I kind of feel bad for Bill Callahan. He arrives and inherits Grant Mulkey and Ross Pilkington.

Riley has inherited a lot more offensive skill talent. Shit, if only this team had Shanle, Carriker, Stew Bradley, Lekevin Smith, Fabian Washington, the Bullock Twins, and Barrett Ruud... We might have something.

It remains to be seen if Riley can recruit like Bill Callahan. But I also believe Riley and staff are better at targeting and identifying offensive skill talent than Bill Callahan.
Callahans upper classmen were part of top ten classes when he arrived. But don't let facts get in the way of agenda.

Red shirt juniors and seniors.

That class produced 0 All Americans and 0 All-Conference players. The two headliners of the class did diddly squat at NU(Chris Septak and Jason Richenberger.)

The 2001 class was much better producing Ruud, Ross, and the Bullocks brothers. Our defense should have been stout in 2004 but our offense was a disaster talent wise.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT