ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Fair is N!

Hey Tuco, you like this 330lb "no star," or should Frost have waited for a 1-star to replace???

Well we did beat out Indiana, ULL and UAB. Thank goodness all the other P5s are filled up on DTs.

Cant wait for the stars don’t matter guys to be out in full force.

We are sitting at 43rd in the rankings and seemingly falling with each commit. We should be at 50 with the next commitment.

I am pretty sure, low 40s, is about what we were ranked when Riley was fired. Weird how it was a negative then, now it’s a positive.

Reactions: LP4NU
Well we did beat out Indiana, ULL and UAB. Thank goodness all the other P5s are filled up on DTs.

We are sitting at 43rd in the rankings and seemingly falling with each commit. We should be at 50 with the next commitment.

I am pretty sure, low 40s, is about what we were ranked when Riley was fired. Weird how it was a negative then, now it’s a positive.
Well USC wanted him until they found out he could not make it this summer.

Once again have no idea what you're talking about. Both Tony Fair and Matt Anderson are rated 3 stars on the other services and they would be at least 3 stars on Rivals too whenever they decide to evaluate them. But no just continue to believe the sky is falling when Frost hasn't even coached his first game yet.

Michael Bruntz

@michaelbruntz

#Huskers are up to No. 33 in the @247Sports team recruiting rankings following Tony Fair’s commitment on Thursday.

8:55 PM - Jul 19, 2018

Bingo!!

Taco...I'm curious if you have watched the film on Fair? If so what is it that you don't like on film?

Or is it that you don't like the fact that he has no other "good" offers ? Or is it that he has no stars?

I'm just trying to get a feel for those who don't really like the pickup what is it that they don't like about him?

Holla

Taco...I'm curious if you have watched the film on Fair? If so what is it that you don't like on film?

Or is it that you don't like the fact that he has no other "good" offers ? Or is it that he has no stars?

I'm just trying to get a feel for those who don't really like the pickup what is it that they don't like about him?

Holla

I am more curious what 63 other power 5 teams saw on tape or in his medical that led them not to offer.

Many of the same people who were quite certain that we would have a top 15 recruiting class this year after finishing just outside the top 20 last year are now using the phrases/words

Underrated
Diamond in the rough
We’ll develop him
I have seen his film
He is rated on other sites
We are recruiting to our system .. stars don’t matter
Eagle Scout

The single best indicator of recruit talent is what other schools have committable offers on the table

If you are consistently competing with OSU, Michigan, Penn State, OU, etc for recruits you will compete with them on the field. If you are competing with Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Colorado, Washington state, etc then don’t expect to consistently compete with top tier programs

Nick Saban and Urban Meyer wouldn’t have anywhere near the success they have had with an average class rankings of 20.

I am more curious what 63 other power 5 teams saw on tape or in his medical that led them not to offer.

To be fair, you could say the same about Marcus Mariota and McKenzie Milton, among others that Frost has recruited/coached at UCF and Oregon who had no other Power 5 offers.

There is simply no way of resolving this debate until we see how these recruits perform. I trust Frost and his staff.

That said... count me among the ranks of the disappointed thus far. No big splash recruits and several guys who seem like "project" recruits. I really thought, given how well they did putting a class together at the last second last year, that this staff would be lighting it up right now.

Questions ... how much is our inability to use multiple visits right now hurting us? If that is the case, then why not wait on handing out offers until later? Also... how much is our 4-8 season last year hurting us? Are the blue chippers waiting to see how Froat's first season goes?

Please explain the rationale of wanting a guy for 3 years but not 2. Is USC so depleted at DT for 2018 that they had to have a DT this year? They haven’t taken another Juco DT yet. They have 1 HS DT from Hawaii on the commitment list.

Please explain your credentials that make you qualified to say if he will be good or not. Even coaches don't know. Calm down.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Many of the same people who were quite certain that we would have a top 15 recruiting class this year after finishing just outside the top 20 last year are now using the phrases/words

Underrated
Diamond in the rough
We’ll develop him
I have seen his film
He is rated on other sites
We are recruiting to our system .. stars don’t matter
Eagle Scout

The single best indicator of recruit talent is what other schools have committable offers on the table

If you are consistently competing with OSU, Michigan, Penn State, OU, etc for recruits you will compete with them on the field. If you are competing with Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Colorado, Washington state, etc then don’t expect to consistently compete with top tier programs

Nick Saban and Urban Meyer wouldn’t have anywhere near the success they have had with an average class rankings of 20.
Understood and I want to be competing with the big boys for 4 and 5 star recruits too. But let me throw out a few names. Jalin Barnett, Matt Snyder, Avery Anderson, Daishon Neal, Eric Lee and Lamar Jackson to name a few. They were big offer guys who also haven't done dick in the years they have been here. Will they flip a switch under the new staff?? Maybe. But my point is NOBODY has a crystal ball in the recruiting world. Some pan out, some are flakes and head cases with zero work ethic. Trust in the staff to do the job they were hired to do. GBR

Last edited:
Understood and I want to be competing with the big boys for 4 and 5 star recruits too. But let me throw out a few names. Jalin Barnett, Matt Snyder, Avery Anderson, Daishon Neal, Eric Lee, Lamar Jackson to name a few who were big offer guys who also haven't done dick here in the years they have been here. Will they flip a switch under the new staff?? Maybe. But my point is NOBODY has a crystal ball in the recruiting world. Some pan out, some are flakes and head cases with zero work ethic. Trust in the staff to do the job they were hired to do. GBR

Yep, but for the star chasers you will probably see one soon. Athlete.

Understood and I want to be competing with the big boys for 4 and 5 star recruits too. But let me throw out a few names. Jalin Barnett, Matt Snyder, Avery Anderson, Daishon Neal, Eric Lee, Lamar Jackson to name a few who were big offer guys who also haven't done dick here in the years they have been here. Will they flip a switch under the new staff?? Maybe. But my point is NOBODY has a crystal ball in the recruiting world. Some pan out, some are flakes and head cases with zero work ethic. Trust in the staff to do the job they were hired to do. GBR

It seems like the crystal balls of the top tier programs work a heck of a lot better than the middling power 5 schools and non power 5 schools crystal balls.

Weird

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Please explain your credentials that make you qualified to say if he will be good or not. Even coaches don't know. Calm down.

What? Go away if you are unable to have a conversation.

It’s a legit question. Why would he be a worthy of a 3 year deal but not a 2? It isn’t that hard.

I just saw that Tony Fair was finally rated by 247, and they gave him a very high 3-star rating at .8800! That's actually great news. A lot of our guys seem to be on that high-three border, so to me, with the coaching and conditioning we do, that will turn them into monster football players.

As for this guy in particular, I can't wait to see what the weight room does to this hoss. He's 6'3" and 345 pounds, but is able to move REALLY quickly. He's truly the ideal nose tackle, so having him line up in an attacking 3-4 is going to be beautiful to see.

So, we're up to 12 commits, we're 33rd in the country and 9th in the Big 10, and we're taking 9 more players, which will boost us well into the top 25. Things are looking good, guys! I also agree that in order to become relevant again, we need good players to pair with good coaching and great development; however, as long as we're landing classes inside the top 25, we should be able to start winning enough to attract the big dogs to the program again, and that's how we'll start getting into the really fun games again.

What other explanation is there? Other than he didn’t really have a commitable offer.
Given that he had to sit out a year due to concussion issues, I can see where some teams would be reluctant to offer him. NU is in the situation where we need to take a few chances on guys who might not pan out. IF he can stay healthy as he did this past year, he could be a huge addition at nose tackle. He's a freak. Guys like him are worth the risk. The worst that can happen is that he leaves or gets put on medical if he has another concussion.

What? Go away if you are unable to have a conversation.

It’s a legit question. Why would he be a worthy of a 3 year deal but not a 2? It isn’t that hard.
I don't think USC backed off due to the number of years he's available. It was either his concussion history OR the fact that they wanted immediate help if they were going to take a JUCO DT.

Reactions: SOHusker11

Holla
Tuco has taken on the role of the board buzz killer/alternative view guy.Winking. Itsallgood. It livens the discussion.

Lets play "which ex-husker Juco would you take" based on start rankings and offer (think

1.A 5.7 3 Star with offers from Oklahoma, Ohio State, WV, & Baylor (when Baylor was good).

2.A no-star with offers from Arkansas State, Memphis, Middle TN state, & Northern ILL

3. A 5.7 3 Star with offers from Bama, USC, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin (pretty much all the Power 5 schools)

So based on offers, who do you take? Hint, one still plays in the NFL and the other 2 never played meaningful snaps.

Hell, Lavonte David's offer list out of Juco wasn't all that great. Tennessee, US, and a bunch of scrubs.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Lets play "which ex-husker Juco would you take" based on start rankings and offer (think

1.A 5.7 3 Star with offers from Oklahoma, Ohio State, WV, & Baylor (when Baylor was good).

2.A no-star with offers from Arkansas State, Memphis, Middle TN state, & Northern ILL

3. A 5.7 3 Star with offers from Bama, USC, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin (pretty much all the Power 5 schools)

So based on offers, who do you take? Hint, one still plays in the NFL and the other 2 never played meaningful snaps.

Hell, Lavonte David's offer list out of Juco wasn't all that great. Tennessee, US, and a bunch of scrubs.

Obviously, I take the no star smaller school offer list Kid. Fits the Nebraska Way better than those prima donnas with all their fancy offers.

JUCOs receive offers based on their ability to provide immediate help at positions of need. MOST blue blood schools fill MOST of their needs by recruiting talented kids out of high school. We're not back to that point yet and I get where Tuco is coming from with his point about getting highly rated high schoolers. We're not there yet and I doubt that we win enough this year that 5 star kids are knocking down our doors to get an offer. I like Fair a bunch. He's a BIG athletic guy at a position critical to a 3-4 AND he's D-1 ready to go when he gets here.

Reactions: Sinomatic

Yes and after that game we can play which 2017 Tight end entering the 2018 draft will be drafted the highest?

the one from Alabama, Florida State, Notre Dame, Stanford, OU, Miami or South Dakota State

the answer is South Dakota State thus SDSU must do a better job recruiting and developing TEs than those other programs

people can quote exceptions to the rule until the end of time ... you will be right far more often following the rule rather than hoping for the exception to the rule to hit

Last edited:
Given that he had to sit out a year due to concussion issues, I can see where some teams would be reluctant to offer him. NU is in the situation where we need to take a few chances on guys who might not pan out. IF he can stay healthy as he did this past year, he could be a huge addition at nose tackle. He's a freak. Guys like him are worth the risk. The worst that can happen is that he leaves or gets put on medical if he has another concussion.

That defies logic. If your assumption is that Nebraska is short on talent and that is why they can take risks. I would think that it would be the way around. If I’m starting out as an investor and I have $10,000 to invest I don’t make a bunch of $500 investments and hope that one of them has knowing that 50% or more are going to lose money.

It’s not as if Frost has to win immediately.

It’s not as if Frost has to win immediately.
It's quite possible that Frost doesn't see it that way. The dude is quite competitive, maybe he wants to win right away, or at least take advantage of a more favorable 2019 schedule.
As for Fair, the concussion issue is concerning for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT