ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Fair is N!

You want to re live the past 20 years of ineptitude and mediocrity? I sure as hell don't. Frost has shown what he can do in 2 years. He doesn't need to prove anything. He will get it done. Bank on it.

What? Not sure how you got that from my comment. I'm totally with you on trusting the coaches - until and unless they prove untrustworthy.

Reactions: HBK4life
It's quite possible that Frost doesn't see it that way. The dude is quite competitive, maybe he wants to win right away, or at least take advantage of a more favorable 2019 schedule.
As for Fair, the concussion issue is concerning for sure.
Most of what I've seen so far suggests the staff wants to make the biggest upgrade they can, NOW. Hence a lot of roster turnover and a lot of targeting dudes who can be on the field the coming fall, not in 3-4 years, even if they're not always home run dudes.

It's a question worth asking why a guy went from being an equipment manager one year to playing another year to being a force the next. When you watch his film and then look at how he doesn't have a rating or many offers, there's a disconnect. It makes you wonder if there's more to the story like there turned out to be with a few other guys who were on paper in Feb but aren't on campus now.

These are fair questions to ask. And they're fair risks to take this year. Vaha is a fair transfer to accept this year. I like this kid's film, it seems like he has high upside. Hopefully the downside was just that he wasn't going to have the academics to be D-1 eligible in 2018 and there's concussion history.

Some of you really need to expand your ability to think beyond EVERYTHING THE STAFF DOES IS PERFECT OR YOU'RE A DUMB HATER!!!

If a staff doesn't believe they need to win immediately they'll never win.

It's quite possible that Frost doesn't see it that way. The dude is quite competitive, maybe he wants to win right away, or at least take advantage of a more favorable 2019 schedule.
As for Fair, the concussion issue is concerning for sure.

I guess to me there is a difference between wanting to win and doing what I can to win versus Taking a potentially unnecessary risk because I have to win to keep my job. My point was that Nebraska and Frost are not in a situation where they have to win to keep his job.

I guess to me there is a difference between wanting to win and doing what I can to win versus Taking a potentially unnecessary risk because I have to win to keep my job. My point was that Nebraska and Frost are not in a situation where they have to win to keep his job.
Oh yes they are. Maybe not this year but you saw how fast it went from "we have to be patient" with Riley to "get him the f**k outta here."

Make no mistake, if Nebraska still sucks in November of 2019, there will be no extra love raining down on Scott just because he won a ring in 97. He'll get a pass this year, but the clock starts ticking in 2019 and they need to show improvement. He knows it.

Well we did beat out Indiana, ULL and UAB. Thank goodness all the other P5s are filled up on DTs.

Cant wait for the stars don’t matter guys to be out in full force.

We are sitting at 43rd in the rankings and seemingly falling with each commit. We should be at 50 with the next commitment.

I am pretty sure, low 40s, is about what we were ranked when Riley was fired. Weird how it was a negative then, now it’s a positive.
I like to look at offer list, but with JUCO’s you have to throw it out the window to a degree. Gomes only other offer was Houston, Lavonte was headed to USF if we didn’t offer (and we only did to get Yoshi who was considered can’t miss), Gregory’s best offer was Purdue. JUCO’s are under the radar and a crap shoot, to a degree.

I like to look at offer list, but with JUCO’s you have to throw it out the window to a degree. Gomes only other offer was Houston, Lavonte was headed to USF if we didn’t offer (and we only did to get Yoshi who was considered can’t miss), Gregory’s best offer was Purdue. JUCO’s are under the radar and a crap shoot, to a degree.

Also, rivals & 247 just doesn't have the staff to rate Jucos like they have the staff to rank high school players. There aren't camps Jucos go to for the star ranking gurus to go watch these kids play. Ranking Juco players is more like the old days of recruiting high school players. Almost all off of tape, which is so hard to judge.

Reactions: headcard
Yes and after that game we can play which 2017 Tight end entering the 2018 draft will be drafted the highest?

the one from Alabama, Florida State, Notre Dame, Stanford, OU, Miami or South Dakota State

the answer is South Dakota State thus SDSU must do a better job recruiting and developing TEs than those other programs

people can quote exceptions to the rule until the end of time ... you will be right far more often following the rule rather than hoping for the exception to the rule to hit

Haha, yes I am cherry picking a little bit. Ok maybe a lot. Still love the commit and how he explodes off the ball

Reactions: jlb321
Oh yes they are. Maybe not this year but you saw how fast it went from "we have to be patient" with Riley to "get him the f**k outta here."

Make no mistake, if Nebraska still sucks in November of 2019, there will be no extra love raining down on Scott just because he won a ring in 97. He'll get a pass this year, but the clock starts ticking in 2019 and they need to show improvement. He knows it.

I sure hope not. Riley was a big crap shoot to begin with...dudes' greatest achievement was putting about as many players in the NFL as Nebraska in compatible time spans. Tanner Lee got drafted...just to put an exclamation point on the end of that statement, and we know how well that really worked out for NU in the grand scheme of the last 3 years.

SF is probably the best chance this university has to put a fantastic team on the field in probably beyond the next generation.

If coaches did in fact avoid Nebraska like the plague for firing Solich and/or Bo Pelini then I could only speculate the derth of quality leadership happening around the Cornhusker gridiron over the firing of Frost in 3 years.

Last edited:
For this staff it isn't about having to keep a job. As a coach you owe it to your players to put them in a position to have the best season possible this game, this year and every year.

Reactions: headcard
That defies logic. If your assumption is that Nebraska is short on talent and that is why they can take risks. I would think that it would be the way around. If I’m starting out as an investor and I have $10,000 to invest I don’t make a bunch of $500 investments and hope that one of them has knowing that 50% or more are going to lose money.

It’s not as if Frost has to win immediately.
It is completely logical. True nose tackles are few and far between. Right now, NU is probably not on the top of the list for the top couple of high school nose tackles. We are going to need immediate help next year at the nose. Fair will provide that with virtually no downside risk. We've got the open spot for his class. We've got the need. He's been healthy for 2 years now. IF he's healthy when he shows up, we've potentially got a starting nose tackle for 2 years. IF not, then he goes on medical. What did we lose by taking him? Maybe a year of a scholarship? I would say that's a risk a team short on nose tackle help can afford to take because I don't see the high schooler out there that can fill his shoes next season. Playing a 3-4, nose tackle is one spot where you better get A guy. Period. Get Fair then find a high schooler you can develop and start playing some Fair's senior year.

Lets play "which ex-husker Juco would you take" based on start rankings and offer (think

1.A 5.7 3 Star with offers from Oklahoma, Ohio State, WV, & Baylor (when Baylor was good).

2.A no-star with offers from Arkansas State, Memphis, Middle TN state, & Northern ILL

3. A 5.7 3 Star with offers from Bama, USC, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin (pretty much all the Power 5 schools)

So based on offers, who do you take? Hint, one still plays in the NFL and the other 2 never played meaningful snaps.

Hell, Lavonte David's offer list out of Juco wasn't all that great. Tennessee, US, and a bunch of scrubs.

Not sure if serious??? You take David as your example. 1 that pans out. Why don’t you list all the others? Weird. We haven’t won a conference in 18 years so obviously it’s working

Not sure if serious??? You take David as your example. 1 that pans out. Why don’t you list all the others? Weird. We haven’t won a conference in 18 years so obviously it’s working

1322860661958_5178113.png

It is completely logical. True nose tackles are few and far between. Right now, NU is probably not on the top of the list for the top couple of high school nose tackles. We are going to need immediate help next year at the nose. Fair will provide that with virtually no downside risk. We've got the open spot for his class. We've got the need. He's been healthy for 2 years now. IF he's healthy when he shows up, we've potentially got a starting nose tackle for 2 years. IF not, then he goes on medical. What did we lose by taking him? Maybe a year of a scholarship? I would say that's a risk a team short on nose tackle help can afford to take because I don't see the high schooler out there that can fill his shoes next season. Playing a 3-4, nose tackle is one spot where you better get A guy. Period. Get Fair then find a high schooler you can develop and start playing some Fair's senior year.

Damn well stated sir. Makes perfect sense to me.....an extremely low risk for a huge need.

This is a different time for Nu with a different coach. Expectations are maybe at the lowest ebb in modern history - Frost is an NU guy with a good resume. It is not the same as telling someone Riley will be better because OSU did not have much talent argument

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

No down side? There is always downside. It’s not just a wasted year of scholarship if he goes on medical. There are residual effects as well. Now you don’t have a high school player coming in the 2019 class as a nose tackle, so you have to either take another juco in 2020 or a high school player in 2020 and hope he can provide immediate depth.

That is always the risk when you take JuCo players. When they don’t pan out you either have to chase another Juco or you take a hit on depth. Pelini’s 2011 class is a text book case study. Two Juco OL they didn’t pan out as expected, the high school players didn’t pan out either, 3 years later you have no OL depth.

I am not trying to be a downer. I just have legit concerns that taking a guy, very few recruited, for whatever reason, puts you in a precarious position down the line, if he doesn’t work out.

I know there are tons of JUCO players that work out, but the average success rate of JUCO players is no better than the success rate of high school kids players. But when you take JUCO players you are counting on them to contribute sooner than you are a high school recruit. If the success rate is similar, is it really a reliable plan?

I am more curious what 63 other power 5 teams saw on tape or in his medical that led them not to offer.

So basically you don't really know what you don't like about his skillset . You just don't like his offer list?

If that's the case that's a fair assessment. I like to ask the question to get an idea of what type of fan I'm having a discussion with.

This is nothing against you personally but it's somewhat useless to argue with someone who uses offer list as their reasoning for NOT liking a recruit.

I say that because that person isnt even checking to see the positives or negatives of a recruit. What the recruit does well or what he struggles at.

I generally get the idea that most who use offer list or star ratings as their main argument about why a recruit isn't good don't really look at these guys or know what they are looking for. So when in doubt...trust rivals, or trust other coaches etc.

Do I think we have a great class right now? No I dont. I don't expect a great class either if we are thing top 10. Im more interested in the guys skill sets and how they fit in our offense or defense.

I generally look at recruits differently than most. I actually watch these guys and see skill sets and strengths and weaknesses and fit.

I guess for me I can sit and discuss those things with someone who does the same all day. Agree some and disagree some. A guy like Brasky comes to mind. He has reasons other than offers or stars as to why he likes or dislikes guys. Imo that is legitimate.

There are numerous cases where guys are ranked as 3 star guys and it's as clear as day that they are better than higher ranked guys. But to someone who just looks at stars or offers they wouldn't know that. I remember watching Malik Collins and Vince Valentine's HS clips and thinking both were completely under rated. It happens.

For example I think the last RB we got a commit from (Georgia kid) is the best back we have committed right now IF healthy. The kid from NJ is rated higher. I just take it all with a grain of salt. Remember Ameer,Braylon Heard, and Aaron Green? Remember how that turned out? It happens all the time.

Again I can't knock you if that is what you believe to be true. I guess I just trust what I see . Plus until I have a reason not to I'll lean towards trusting HCSF as well. Now that doesn't mean blind Faith. I still may not like a certain recruit as much as they do...that's normal. But none of us are scouts lol. So it's an educated guess for us all. We have got a commit from a guy or two I would've passed on myself at this stage of the game. But that's not because of his stars or because of his offers. It's what I've seen.

Either way I'm sorry for the book. I hope you are wrong in your assessment of Fair. I also hope the other 63 power 5 teams were wrong as well lol. We will all find out soon enough. Have a good day buddy.

Holla

So basically you don't really know what you don't like about his skillset . You just don't like his offer list?

If that's the case that's a fair assessment. I like to ask the question to get an idea of what type of fan I'm having a discussion with.

This is nothing against you personally but it's somewhat useless to argue with someone who uses offer list as their reasoning for NOT liking a recruit.

I say that because that person isnt even checking to see the positives or negatives of a recruit. What the recruit does well or what he struggles at.

I generally get the idea that most who use offer list or star ratings as their main argument about why a recruit isn't good don't really look at these guys or know what they are looking for. So when in doubt...trust rivals, or trust other coaches etc.

Do I think we have a great class right now? No I dont. I don't expect a great class either if we are thing top 10. Im more interested in the guys skill sets and how they fit in our offense or defense.

I generally look at recruits differently than most. I actually watch these guys and see skill sets and strengths and weaknesses and fit.

I guess for me I can sit and discuss those things with someone who does the same all day. Agree some and disagree some. A guy like Brasky comes to mind. He has reasons other than offers or stars as to why he likes or dislikes guys. Imo that is legitimate.

There are numerous cases where guys are ranked as 3 star guys and it's as clear as day that they are better than higher ranked guys. But to someone who just looks at stars or offers they wouldn't know that. I remember watching Malik Collins and Vince Valentine's HS clips and thinking both were completely under rated. It happens.

For example I think the last RB we got a commit from (Georgia kid) is the best back we have committed right now IF healthy. The kid from NJ is rated higher. I just take it all with a grain of salt. Remember Ameer,Braylon Heard, and Aaron Green? Remember how that turned out? It happens all the time.

Again I can't knock you if that is what you believe to be true. I guess I just trust what I see . Plus until I have a reason not to I'll lean towards trusting HCSF as well. Now that doesn't mean blind Faith. I still may not like a certain recruit as much as they do...that's normal. But none of us are scouts lol. So it's an educated guess for us all. We have got a commit from a guy or two I would've passed on myself at this stage of the game. But that's not because of his stars or because of his offers. It's what I've seen.

Either way I'm sorry for the book. I hope you are wrong in your assessment of Fair. I also hope the other 63 power 5 teams were wrong as well lol. We will all find out soon enough. Have a good day buddy.

Holla

I am not looking just at his offer list but why aren’t others offering?. I am simply asking a question.... it doesn’t even need to be Tony Fair. It can be high school player A or Juco player B.

What is it about Tony Fair that everyone, outside of Indiana, is missing on? You can show me exceptions to the rule until the cows come home, but the question remains, what does Scott Frost and company see in Fair that 62 or 63 other power 5 programs don’t see? If there is a sample of 65 of the top stock brokers and only 3 are willing to put their stamp of approval on a stock, I am not sure that I would invest.

I am not looking just at his offer list but why aren’t others offering?. I am simply asking a question.... it doesn’t even need to be Tony Fair. It can be high school player A or Juco player B.

What is it about Tony Fair that everyone, outside of Indiana, is missing on? You can show me exceptions to the rule until the cows come home, but the question remains, what does Scott Frost and company see in Fair that 62 or 63 other power 5 programs don’t see? If there is a sample of 65 of the top stock brokers and only 3 are willing to put their stamp of approval on a stock, I am not sure that I would invest.

Well again that's kinda the problem in trying to figure out what 63 other coaches see or don't see. I have no clue. None of us do. That's why I honestly try and look at and judge what I see for myself.

Your question is one that can't be answered. Idk...BUT I know what I see and what I like from him. I guess I just see a guy who has a very good skillset for a NG. I see a big strong guy capable of eating up space. One that is also quick enough to make plays down the line . One that is strong enough to hold point of attack. One that uses his hands extremely well also.

He's a juco so we know how important fit, scheme, availability etc come into a play with these kids. I just look at from a completely different spectrum than you do. Do you like him as a player? Do you think he's a scrub? I mean seriously you have to have a reason besides no other coaches offered him that makes u feel that way.

Holla

Besides the top few juco recruits, jucos in general typically don't get many offers. 1 or 2 major programs and a bunch of mid majors is the typical offer list for a 3 star juco recruit at this point in the year. Some of these 3 star jucos end up a lot better than the top ranked guys. Some end up doing worse and not contributing much at all. For as quick as this guy is at 330 lbs and a position that's always in need that's tough to even find a guy big enough to play the position let alone finding a guy with any talent, I'd gladly take a chance on this kid who seems to have a lot of upside and not much downside.

Tuco has taken on the role of the board buzz killer/alternative view guy.Winking. Itsallgood. It livens the discussion.

Maybe ...idk. I don't have a problem with guys not liking an offer or a commit. There are times I feel that way. My point is that I'm gonna give you a legit reason based on what I see as far as potential, fit ,stengths and weaknesses etc.

To say you don't like so and so based on what other coaches see or simply a star rating is shallow to me.

I'm not one of those stars don't matter guys either. I just know it's always more than JUST stars or JUST offers. The easiest thing in the world to do is to say...he has 2 stars he's not good. Or he has 4 stars he's great. Or his offer list sucks he's not good. LOOK at the guys and see what you think is good or bad about him yourself.

Everyone can't do that and I understand that as well. I guess my point is if you can't do that I'd try and refrain from discussions about whether so and so is good or not when you are basically taking whoever else's opinion based on many unknowns that we are not privy to.

It just doesn't make sense to me but to each his own.

Holla

Sort of my point.
It may or may not be your point.

IMO you are stuck because your guy didn't pan out and you are stuck because there is a clear turn to what made Nebraska great and you aren't a believer in the approach that produced outstanding results.

For me the current staff has a plan that has been successful with everyone on the same page. From the miserable day Perlman took control of the program until now football was an afterthought.

It may or may not be your point.

IMO you are stuck because your guy didn't pan out and you are stuck because there is a clear turn to what made Nebraska great and you aren't a believer in the approach that produced outstanding results.

For me the current staff has a plan that has been successful with everyone on the same page. From the miserable day Perlman took control of the program until now football was an afterthought.

The optimism for Frost and this staff is well founded based on their amazing results at UCF. This includes all phases of coaching EXCEPT recruiting as they did not recruit those players. Frost did recruit Milton - the most important position on the field - but one recruit can’t be extrapolated to recruiting success at every position.

The staff may be great recruiters but this is an unknown and the results at UCF don’t really give us much information to make conclusions. The results certainly do not justify the conclusion that the staff knows what they are doing taking underrated recruits based on the results at UCF

GBR

True enough. Everybody knows how horrible NU was last year and how vicious the schedule is this year. So sure.....he'll have tons of slack for year one.

But yeah.....year two we'll want to see some real-deal improvement. I think that's fair & HCSF is ok with it.

Many of the same people who were quite certain that we would have a top 15 recruiting class this year after finishing just outside the top 20 last year are now using the phrases/words

Underrated
Diamond in the rough
We’ll develop him
I have seen his film
He is rated on other sites
We are recruiting to our system .. stars don’t matter
Eagle Scout

The single best indicator of recruit talent is what other schools have committable offers on the table

If you are consistently competing with OSU, Michigan, Penn State, OU, etc for recruits you will compete with them on the field. If you are competing with Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Colorado, Washington state, etc then don’t expect to consistently compete with top tier programs

Nick Saban and Urban Meyer wouldn’t have anywhere near the success they have had with an average class rankings of 20.

Couldn't agree more. You need to find one or two diamonds in the ruff for each class but getting 3 star talent gets you 8 or 9 wins consistently. Bo did that with a couple of 10 wins. NO ONE was happy with that and don't say it was his temper, we'd put up with that for 12 wins.
I'm not saying we need that year one, but we have momentum here, don't blow it with this recruiting class. How can anyone be excited about it as it stands?

Untrue. Frost is taking the perspective of winning right away, not to keep his job, BUT TO WIN RIGHT AWAY.

The long-term foundation of our program is built on geography (focus on football), numbers, S&C and nutrition coupled with a will to win from everyone in the state. That foundation is being built back up after decades of neglect.

Rankings will matter more once we get back to winning consistently. Right now, as Beav pointed out, we have to get this roster flipped and coach-up what is remaining while developing impact guys asap. GBR

Reactions: SOHusker11
Untrue. Frost is taking the perspective of winning right away, not to keep his job, BUT TO WIN RIGHT AWAY.

The long-term foundation of our program is built on geography (focus on football), numbers, S&C and nutrition coupled with a will to win from everyone in the state. That foundation is being built back up after decades of neglect.

Rankings will matter more once we get back to winning consistently. Right now, as Beav pointed out, we have to get this roster flipped and coach-up what is remaining while developing impact guys asap. GBR

Still drunk?

Couldn't agree more. You need to find one or two diamonds in the ruff for each class but getting 3 star talent gets you 8 or 9 wins consistently. Bo did that with a couple of 10 wins. NO ONE was happy with that and don't say it was his temper, we'd put up with that for 12 wins.
I'm not saying we need that year one, but we have momentum here, don't blow it with this recruiting class. How can anyone be excited about it as it stands?

Bo had no real clue about what made Nebraska great, I think he faked it in hindsight for the most part, he capitalized on a long-standing culture, and left it worse than it was before him. I kinda like the guy, thought he didn't get a whole lot of support while here, appreciated his crustiness. Of all the coaches post-TO, I guess I liked him the best (BoBot).

Momentum? What momentum? Minus Frost, we are South Dakota State with a few bigger cities that aren't destinations for anyone other than our state citizens and businesspeople engaged there. Any momentum we had was finally and tragically pissed away by Smiling Mike and his ice cream making machine.

Scott knows this and is desperately building back up the Cornhusker foundation and combing the country trying to find talent that can compete. Not an easy job, but one he is only capable of success, IMO. GBR

Last edited:
Still drunk?

Took yesterday off had to pick up the wife traveling back from seeing her parents. Working out today. Friday was epic golf from 4-7:30pm after work then blew the top off. Next week will be busy but should get one in on the course after 5pm...it's nice to drink and sweat it off at the same time out here. GBR

The optimism for Frost and this staff is well founded based on their amazing results at UCF. This includes all phases of coaching EXCEPT recruiting as they did not recruit those players. Frost did recruit Milton - the most important position on the field - but one recruit can’t be extrapolated to recruiting success at every position.

The staff may be great recruiters but this is an unknown and the results at UCF don’t really give us much information to make conclusions. The results certainly do not justify the conclusion that the staff knows what they are doing taking underrated recruits based on the results at UCF

GBR
Edit this maybe?

Frost & Co. getting it done. Great job on going out and getting our own local talent!

No down side? There is always downside. It’s not just a wasted year of scholarship if he goes on medical. There are residual effects as well. Now you don’t have a high school player coming in the 2019 class as a nose tackle, so you have to either take another juco in 2020 or a high school player in 2020 and hope he can provide immediate depth.

That is always the risk when you take JuCo players. When they don’t pan out you either have to chase another Juco or you take a hit on depth. Pelini’s 2011 class is a text book case study. Two Juco OL they didn’t pan out as expected, the high school players didn’t pan out either, 3 years later you have no OL depth.

I am not trying to be a downer. I just have legit concerns that taking a guy, very few recruited, for whatever reason, puts you in a precarious position down the line, if he doesn’t work out.

I know there are tons of JUCO players that work out, but the average success rate of JUCO players is no better than the success rate of high school kids players. But when you take JUCO players you are counting on them to contribute sooner than you are a high school recruit. If the success rate is similar, is it really a reliable plan?
You just totally ignored the part of my post where I said, "get Fair then get a high schooler to develop". I didn't say take Fair and forget about recruiting a high schooler. You go after both. We need both but taking just a high schooler and ignoring the pressing need for next season would be foolish.

You just totally ignored the part of my post where I said, "get Fair then get a high schooler to develop". I didn't say take Fair and forget about recruiting a high schooler. You go after both. We need both but taking just a high schooler and ignoring the pressing need for next season would be foolish.

I thought we already addressed that pressing need with the 26 year old from Utah.

GBR

UCF in 2017:
The top three rushers were Frost recruits. Eight of the top nine rushers were Frost recruits. Four of the top six receivers were Frost recruits. All 4313 passing yards came from Frost recruits. 30 of their 39 rushing touchdowns were from Frost recruits.

Edit: I just read Cornicator's excellent post in another thread about Frost's recruits carrying a heavy load for UCF in 2017.

Last edited:
I thought we already addressed that pressing need with the 26 year old from Utah.
Okay I'll play this game. Black. Now you say white. I play this game all the time with my wife and she's probably a lot smarter than you.:D Utah Mt. Man is eligible this fall. Immediate depth. Fair isn't coming til next fall. Then we'll hopefully have a sophomore on the depth chart inside by the time Mt. Man moves on. See, it isn't so hard.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT