ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Fair, Hickman and Henrich, Zavier Betts

Every situation is different but I have worked with and spoken with a lot of kids that had offers from their “favorite school“ but didn’t go there in the end . Sometimes it was fit. Sometimes it was opportunity. Sometimes it came down to academics.

It is not that easy... For example let's say you grew up in LA until you were 11 and everyone in your family is UCLA fans, and you are too. Then your dad gets a job transfer to Nebraska. Then you end up being a star player of some sport Football, Basketball, Baseball ect... You get offered by UCLA and Nebraska both, where are you going to go?

My money is on UCLA

But Henrich's situation is not like this. He has no family ties to Wisconsin. His family are Iowa Hawkeyes, actually.

Losing an in-state recruit to the warm weather and beautiful women in California is one thing (Frost himself went to Stanford first), but losing him to somewhere he has no ties to and is even colder than Nebraska? That would be tough to take.

Reactions: scarletred
But Henrich's situation is not like this. He has no family ties to Wisconsin. His family are Iowa Hawkeyes, actually.

Losing an in-state recruit to the warm weather and beautiful women in California is one thing (Frost himself went to Stanford first), but losing him to somewhere he has no ties to and is even colder than Nebraska? That would be tough to take.

This is the first time I’ve heard he is a fan of Wisconsin, Herky’s have been coming over here and on their site saying his parents are Iowa fans and daddy played tennis for Iowa.

Frost went to Stanford to learn from the best. Wisconsin's done pretty well with coaching LBs lately.

Every situation is different but I have worked with and spoken with a lot of kids that had offers from their “favorite school“ but didn’t go there in the end . Sometimes it was fit. Sometimes it was opportunity. Sometimes it came down to academics.
This is 100% true, and that is why I said we have less than a 50% chance. You can always convince a kid to change their mind, I'm just pointing out they most likely are not leaning Nebraska's way

Worth noting that prior to Frost and Co's arrival, and focus on instate recruiting, Zavier Betts was not really seeing Nebraska as a viable landing spot. To see the shift in his stance on Nebraska is a testament what is going on under the new staff. Some folks will just need to accept the fact that some kids will simply NOT want to be a Husker. Lack of attention and slow playing will not be a factor.

It won't be tough to take at all, if they aren't really Nebraska kids then they won't have that fire Nebraska kids have and are equivalent to kids from any other state in the union.

Nate Clouse and Mike Schaefer have intimated that very same thing although I doubt that they would want to come out and say that specifically until after the fact. These kids are familar with the Nebraska football that laid over and played dead in the 2nd half against Iowa and was less competitive against Ohio State at home than Ohio State's scout team. That's the Nebraska they know. And that is reality. That's exactly what Coach Frost and his staff want to turn around and they will do their best to pull the upset and bring these two to the fold.

Our last game was one one of the most pathetic games in Nebraska history, and is probably the bottom point of the program, maybe ever. It is only forgotten because we hired the best coaching prospect available, but still a coach only entering his 3rd year. Players are going to be very shy about sacrificing this important time to play for a program that is rebuilding. Sadly we will likely get guys who have less prestigious offers or guys looking for easy playing time. Hopefully in 2019 we will show major growth and start out recruiting some top dogs.

That is correct... Iwillnotpostdrunk is correct on Henrich, and I believe Hickman is a Missouri kid don't quote me on that just yet, I will check with my cousin for sure. I just remember hearing Missouri
I thought his family was from Texas.

Fwiw we have been hearing Heinrich to Wiscy, Hickman to LSU. (Hickman still much more up in the air, he is visiting OR who wants to make him a DE)

All I have read is that Herky fan base would rather see him in Badger red than Husker red... rather listen to Big red22 has to say than the Herky fan base of quessing and hoping were he goes.
Why would we want the best team in the division to get one of the best players in the region instead of a team that is down currently who needs more than the one puzzle piece of him? We are concerned with beating wiscy and getting to #1 in the west not the team that is 2-3 years from being competitive. That's not a slam by any means I think you guys will make up ground but have a ways to go, if wiscy keeps rolling they are only going to separate further.

Reactions: bboyhard
Fwiw we have been hearing Heinrich to Wiscy, Hickman to LSU. (Hickman still much more up in the air, he is visiting OR who wants to make him a DE)
Nearly every expert has predicted Heinrich to Nebraska including Wiltfong after speaking with his father. And Oregon wants to make Hickman an OLB, not a DE. Other than that, nice trolling.

Why would we want the best team in the division to get one of the best players in the region instead of a team that is down currently who needs more than the one puzzle piece of him? We are concerned with beating wiscy and getting to #1 in the west not the team that is 2-3 years from being competitive. That's not a slam by any means I think you guys will make up ground but have a ways to go, if wiscy keeps rolling they are only going to separate further.

Gee...I don’t know ask some of your fans that question a few we’re picking Wisconsin instead Nebraska.

In 2 or 3 years you won’t see the same Nebraska team you seen last November that you been pumping your chest of beating.

Reactions: SOHusker11
If providing insight is trolling you are all welcome to troll our boards anytime you want. We happen to have a member who is good friends of the family.

I 100% agree nebraska will look different in 2-3 years. The west needs them to be better as does the b10. I believe the adage goes "a rising tide lifts all boats".

For now Henrich last visit was Lincoln Nebraska after visiting Madison for a weekend...

Doesn’t matter if some Iowa fan is friends with the family that is where he stands until he makes it official or if he takes other official visits.

All I have read is that Herky fan base would rather see him in Badger red than Husker red... rather listen to Big red22 has to say than the Herky fan base of quessing and hoping were he goes.
Although it may be my cousin that works at Burke, my info is still just that... someone else's interpretation of what will happen with a recruit. I'm sure he doesn't know them real well, but I'm sure he wouldn't lie to me about something like that. Frost may convince them both Nebraska is better for some reason and they may agree. The only people that know where those two are going are themselves and possibly their families.

Our last game was one one of the most pathetic games in Nebraska history, and is probably the bottom point of the program, maybe ever. It is only forgotten because we hired the best coaching prospect available, but still a coach only entering his 3rd year. Players are going to be very shy about sacrificing this important time to play for a program that is rebuilding. Sadly we will likely get guys who have less prestigious offers or guys looking for easy playing time. Hopefully in 2019 we will show major growth and start out recruiting some top dogs.
I don't think Frost will accept players for easy playing time. You haven't followed Scott and his family very closely.

I hope we land both or at least one, but I wont blame Frost if it doesnt happen. The sad stories are when we didnt make an effort to get kids here (a la Harrison Phillips/Danny Woodhead/Noah Fant etc) and look like fools for it.
I like Hickman at TE where Frost reportedly wants him.
It is what it is, and we’ll find out when we find out. The Frost-led Nebraska team will continue to push and improve and make talented players want to come here- and we’ll all be drunk on kool aid. GBR

Reactions: yNOTskers
Probably a generational thing. As in: "Bonanza's second season starts tonight". "Yeah, I'm going to watch, it is on ABC."

Good thing I didn't use the term "TV set". You might have gotten really snotty about that.

I have 5 color televisions.
Uptown up in here in the days of yore.

Last edited:
Count me in the minority, but I don't think Hinrich will be missed if he does go elsewhere. It's my own opinion, but he reminds me of Blake Lawrence a little bit. Pretty skinny frame, that I just don't see him putting on weight. Makes decent plays in HS but in college will be a non factor. Because I said it, it will turn out the total opposite, but I'm not as high on this kid as everyone else.

Reactions: oldjar07
Count me in the minority, but I don't think Hinrich will be missed if he does go elsewhere. It's my own opinion, but he reminds me of Blake Lawrence a little bit. Pretty skinny frame, that I just don't see him putting on weight. Makes decent plays in HS but in college will be a non factor. Because I said it, it will turn out the total opposite, but I'm not as high on this kid as everyone else.
Blake’s highlight film was one of my all time favorites. He just lit people up, loved to hit.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I see the same thing. He's smaller, not real fast. Makes great plays in hs but doubt it will translate to college as well with much bigger players he'll be facing.

You know, we talk about how Wisconsin develops OL, but they don’t do a bad job with LBs either. I think they have 5 in the NFL?
Maybe , but they don't have Barrett Ruud and Scott Frost. Nebraska is going places and these prospects in Nebraska know it. Strength and Conditioning with Duval, second to none nutrition guidance and top notch developing from the coaches on Offense and Defense . Lincoln is back as the place to be. GBR !!!!!

Maybe , but they don't have Barrett Ruud and Scott Frost. Nebraska is going places and these prospects in Nebraska know it. Strength and Conditioning with Duval, second to none nutrition guidance and top notch developing from the coaches on Offense and Defense . Lincoln is back as the place to be. GBR !!!!!
They don’t have Barrett Ruud and Scott Frost, you’re right... they do have a coach that went 13-1 last year and finished in the top ten. A coach who has played for the conference championship multiple times as well. Give them credit... Wisconsin is an attractive place to go right now due to recent success.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
giphy.gif

Heinrich to Wiscy unfortunately.

Friend of the his family saw photos from his trip to Ireland and he was wearing a wiscy shirt. Admittedly it is some tea leave reading but it would be silly to go to IA or Nebby etc and have photos of your senior trip in a wiscy shirt.

A poster on our board is good friends with his family, close enough she reviewed the photos with the family. Minimize all you want but you can include a thank you with all of it as well.

My cousin works at Burke and knows both Henrich and Hickman. He said the chances of Nebraska getting them are very slim, because he knows that both of them are big fans of opposing teams. He said it would take some major convincing by Nebraska to sway them away from their favorite schools, because neither of them are your prototypical Nebraska kids.

You can bag on Iwillnotpostdrunk all you want, but what he is saying has some legs. It is not in the bag for either one of these kids, and I'd say the chances are less than 50% for sure

It is not that easy... For example let's say you grew up in LA until you were 11 and everyone in your family is UCLA fans, and you are too. Then your dad gets a job transfer to Nebraska. Then you end up being a star player of some sport Football, Basketball, Baseball ect... You get offered by UCLA and Nebraska both, where are you going to go?

My money is on UCLA

That is correct... Iwillnotpostdrunk is correct on Henrich, and I believe Hickman is a Missouri kid don't quote me on that just yet, I will check with my cousin for sure. I just remember hearing Missouri

Embarrassing

Most people on here are fake news at least 95% of the time. So stfu with bs. Welcome Neil!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT