ADVERTISEMENT

TO Blessing Mickey

This is so true.
Assuming at least a plurality of boosters involved for both. Stevie P thought he could do better than Frank, but he bungled the hire and the pool may have not too deep, given Frank’s record. Urban remarked some years ago that he’d think twice before taking a job where they just fired a 10 win Coach. Eichorst and Harvey P hated Pelini. One could look at the Riley hire as an attempt (successful in the rear view mirror) to sabotage the program.

Reactions: bshirt73
Another poster with this horrible take. It makes no sense.
Who recruited Crouch (twice)??
Who coached Crouch?
Who called plays for Crouch?

Frank Solich. You cant say solich is the cause of backsliding when he recruited, coached, and called plays for a heisman winner.
Also, the rest of the team was still pretty darn good, too.

Backsliding is overblown. Anyone is going to look like backsliding after the last 5 years Osborne had. The 6-6 year sucked but went 10-3 the next year.
Disagree

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Whats there to disagree with? That solich doesnt deserve any credit for crouch?

It makes no sense. Its basically saying “we cant count the good things he did when evaluating him.

Whats there to disagree with? That solich doesnt deserve any credit for crouch?

It makes no sense. Its basically saying “we cant count the good things he did when evaluating him.”
That's not what I said. Sheesh.
If someone with the incredible talent and fortitude of EC wasn't there, the problems with the program would have been more evident, sooner. FS couldn't and/or didn't keep up the pace. Few could.

That's not what I said. Sheesh.
If someone with the incredible talent and fortitude of EC wasn't there, the problems with the program would have been more evident, sooner. FS couldn't and/or didn't keep up the pace. Few could.
Without Frank there would be no Eric Crouch. Frank called all the good plays

TO also blessed the Bo Pelini hire and see how that turned out
To be fair, the reason he chose Pelini was because of what he did here back in 03 as DC as it was the defensive side of the ball that was the shit show in 07. Osborne even stated, had it been the offense that was the problem he would've hired Gill as the HC.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I would really love to see what Gill would do here as a HC as he never had the resouces or a solid recruiting base at Buffalo, Kansas or Liberty that are even in the same galaxy as DONU. The only real former player that I've seen to date that is as close as you can get to Osborne in the way he does and goes about things as well as his demeanor on the sidelines is Turner Gill.

Both Solich and Pelini inherited a ton of talent, and then started getting blown out by good teams once they ran out of the previous coach's players and had all of their own recruits.

Neither one was a great hire.
One could argue that Frank was really the only hire we could make. Pelini while he won some was a terrible fit who had his foot out the door the whole time he was in Nebraska

To be fair, the reason he chose Pelini was because of what he did here back in 03 as DC as it was the defensive side of the ball that was the shit show in 07. Osborne even stated, had it been the offense that was the problem he would've hired Gill as the HC.
To be HONEST the reason he hired Bo was that a mega donor who was a golf buddy of Bo’s wanted him hired. Yeah Tom thought Bo was a good defensive mind but that was hardly the deciding factor. He was cheap and the Hawks wanted him.

• Wow
Reactions: headcard
If he gets that stud Georgia lineman commit to flip then he's got my blessing! Lol. We ain’t gonna be diddly squat until we fix those problems up front.
As a NU fan, I'm going to be supportive of whoever gets the HC job. Some I will like better than others, but once that decision has been made, I will give the new guy a year or two to prove he is the man for the job.

I am a Mickey guy, but there are a few others on leodis' lists who are fully capable of turning this program around. Given our current shortcomings, this is a big job.

There is zero question in my mind this turnaround begins with a new, proven, quality S & C coach. Period. Not somebody pretty good, but a coach with a track record of producing visible improvement to provide the staff with athletes that are being prepared to develop.
Find the man, pay the man.

We just can't have a squad of guys who can't run as well as the position requires, or lacks the strength, conditioning, and athleticism to move an opponent off the line. Returning the same cast of characters on the OL/DL line without the addition of new incoming kids is doomed to failure.

We're all aware the Coordinators and assistants will need to be excellent coaches as well as high-level recruiters. The list of needed components to make this thing go is long.

The majority of OL and DL men can no longer be moved around by the opponents which causes breakdowns on both sides of the ball. NU has to reach the point where they can minimally neutralize the majority of the teams they face.

That starts with a complete overhaul of the S & C program. And it needs to start yesterday. If not yesterday, then at least the very first day a new HC is named.

The big guys who have been here 2-3-4-5 years and are still being manhandled on occasion/ a LOT, and we all know the LOS is what it's all about.

The return of Duvall and staff will be the first step to continued failure. I don't dislike the man, he is just not the right man for this undertaking. He's had his chance for 4 1/2 years.

Thanks.

Last edited:
To be HONEST the reason he hired Bo was that a mega donor who was a golf buddy of Bo’s wanted him hired. Yeah Tom thought Bo was a good defensive mind but that was hardly the deciding factor. He was cheap and the Hawks wanted him.
Actually Osborne only had 2 candidates on the list Bo and Turner and Pelini was chosen because at that point, that was the worst defense DONU ever fielded in the modern era and that is why he was chosen and it would've been Gill had it been the offense. Had it been the O, Bo woulda never been here. There is a special bone to pick with Pelini anyway from he previous stint in 03 after the seaon when Stoops hired him as co-DC with Venebles when Pelini famously stated that there wasn't anyone good enough here to even be in their 2 deep but there was. Josh Bullocks who had 10 int's in 03 and super Demorio.

Last edited:
Actually Osborne only had on the list Bo and Turner and Pelini was chosen because at that point, that was the worst defense DONU ever fielded in the modern era and that is why he was chosen and it would've been Gill had it been the offense.
Wrong. Tom interviewed multiple guys but wouldn’t meet the demands of at least one guy who was a successful head coach.

Reactions: bshirt73
Wrong. Tom interviewed multiple guys but wouldn’t meet the demands of at least one guy who was a successful head coach.
The interviews he did with others were tokens as he already knew it was gonna be 1 of the 2. Same type of token search Stevie P pulled when we got Callahan.

As a NU fan, I'm going to be supportive of whoever gets the HC job. Some I will like better than others, but once that decision has been made, I will give the new guy a year or two to prove he is the man for the job.

I am a Mickey guy, but there are a few others on leodis' lists who are fully capable of turning this program around. Given our current shortcomings, this is a big job.

There is zero question in my mind this turnaround begins with a new, proven, quality S & C coach. Period. Not somebody pretty good, but a coach with a track record of producing visible improvement to provide the staff with athletes that are being prepared to develop.

We just can't have a squad of guys who can't run as well as the position requires, or lacks the strength, conditioning, and athleticism to move an opponent off the line. Returning the same cast of characters on the OL/DL line without the addition of new incoming kids is doomed to failure.

We're all aware the Coordinators and assistants will need to be excellent coaches as well as high-level recruiters. The list of needed components to make this thing go is a long list.

The majority of OL and DL men can no longer be moved around by the opponents which causes breakdowns on both sides of the ball. NU has to reach the point where they can minimally neutralize the majority of the teams they face.

That starts with a complete overall of the S & C program. And it needs to start yesterday. If not yesterday, then at least the very first day a new HC is named.

The big guys who have been here 2-3-4-5 years and are still being manhandled on occasion/ a LOT, and we all know the LOS is what it's all about.

The return of Duvall and staff will be the first step to continued failure. I don't dislike the man, he is just not the right man for this undertaking. He's had his chance for 4 1/2 years.

Thanks.

Spot on.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

We're all aware the Coordinators and assistants will need to be excellent coaches as well as high-level recruiters. The list of needed components to make this thing go is a long list.

That starts with a complete overall of the S & C program. And it needs to start yesterday. If not yesterday, then at least the very first day a new HC is named.

Thanks.
It was Duval's family that created Husker Power, Eppley did have a hand in it but was mostly Duval.

Last edited:
I know TO's talked Mickey up big over the weeks. And Trev is a TO guy, so I could believe.

I just better not see purdy trotted out this week. Anybody him. Anyone else tells me otherwise.
That's who is most likely going to be the starter on Saturday.

Whip said as much during his interview. Purdy and Logan are all they got, and Purdy has the better arm of the two.

Last edited:
Chubba needs to realize he is not a difference-maker.

He can't let his mind write checks that his arm can't cash.
I would state it differently, but you're correct.

Chubba just needs to operate the plays. Get people lined up, check the clock, hand the ball off, complete the pass to the open receiver, move the chains type thing. Just operate the plays and not worry about anything else. Or in your words, don't try to be a difference maker.

I would state it differently, but you're correct.

Chubba just needs to operate the plays. Get people lined up, check the clock, hand the ball off, complete the pass to the open receiver, move the chains type thing. Just operate the plays and not worry about anything else. Or in your words, don't try to be a difference maker.
Chubba had that one game he started at FSU. Granted, they were playing an undermanned squad, but he did a nice job. Seemed to play within himself.

I'm not gonna kid you, I'm gonna spend the early part of his snaps kinda holding my breath.

My wife will monitor my BP when he drops back to throw.

W
The interviews he did with others were tokens as he already knew it was gonna be 1 of the 2. Same type of token search Stevie P pulled when we got Callahan.
Wrong again. Pederson was set on Wannstedt but when Wannie got an extension Pedie interviewed Mike Zimmer and Houston Nutt at the very least before finally getting Callahan to say yes. Zimmer and Nutt we’re both offered the job.

One could argue that Frank was really the only hire we could make. Pelini while he won some was a terrible fit who had his foot out the door the whole time he was in Nebraska
You realize, during that same period of time, a very young Urban Meyer had just coached Ball State from a previous year 2 win season and the first year won 8 games, at the time the largest turnaround in NCAA history.

Urban then went to Utah in 2003, took over a 7-5 team and first year went 10-2 and followed it up in 2004 by going 12-0. He then went on to Florida.

He would have been an incredible hire. Hard to imagine how well he would have done with the NU program in place at that time.

So when Mickey is named coach you will say it’s because everyone knew it especially you?
You take the prize for a little person who craves attention on this board. It’s a shame you were neglected as a kid, but I hate that we all have to pay for it with your self absorbed drivel…

You realize, during that same period of time, a very young Urban Meyer had just coached Ball State from a previous year 2 win season and the first year won 8 games, at the time the largest turnaround in NCAA history.

Urban then went to Utah in 2003, took over a 7-5 team and first year went 10-2 and followed it up in 2004 by going 12-0. He then went on to Florida.

He would have been an incredible hire. Hard to imagine how well he would have done with the NU program in place at that time.
Urban had thoughts on it at the time. He would have been “very leery” of coming to a school that canned a 9 win coach.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Urban had thoughts on it at the time. He would have been “very leery” of coming to a school that canned a 9 win coach.
Did Meyer actually say that, or is that your interpretation?

From the time he arrived at Utah, Meyer never won less than 21 games in any 2 year period in his entire college coaching career.

Since his last 15 years were 12 double-digit winning seasons, he would have been on pretty solid footing.

I'm not a fan of Urban Meyer, but his college coaching record is unbelievable.

Just curious.

And a ton of Husker fans wanted him too. So it was a popular hire and therefore an easy way to please a huge donor. It is sad though since Osborne had been warned about Pelini’s temper.

There are literally training videos out there talking about how Nebraska’s S&C program hasn’t adapted and has been left in the dust.
NU has already wasted, what will soon be 5 straight years of losing ground in the S & C area.

It's bad enough to have a lousy position coach in charge of 20 kids,
let alone a S & C coach in charge of over 100 kids.

Frost was crowing about Mario and Duvall being "the best of the best."

Did Meyer actually say that, or is that your interpretation?

From the time he arrived at Utah, Meyer never won less than 21 games in any 2 year period in his entire college coaching career.

Since his last 15 years were 12 double-digit winning seasons, he would have been on pretty solid footing.

I'm not a fan of Urban Meyer, but his college coaching record is unbelievable.

Just curious.
The link article has it as “very leery”. The only words” in quotes in the article.

The link article has it as “very leery”. The only words” in quotes in the article.
Not trying to dispute it WV, I just find it hard to believe that Meyer would have been afraid to take on the NU job and all the things that were already in place.

TO handpicked Solich and hired Pelini...those have been our two best HC's since TO retired, so I'm not sure it's fair to say he doesn't know about coaching hires....he did it better than AD's who were professional managers hired to do the job.
We could have had Mack Brown instead or Solich so this isn't the win you think it is

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
NU has already wasted, what will soon be 5 straight years of losing ground in the S & C area.

It's bad enough to have a lousy position coach in charge of 20 kids,
let alone a S & C coach in charge of over 100 kids.

Frost was crowing about Mario and Duvall being "the best of the best."
The good news is that they're stronger than what Frost had when he got here (lifting optional Riley). I'd rather adjust nutrition and training to lose weight and gain mobility than try to have to build strength up on dudes with natural false ceiling.

Not trying to dispute it WV, I just find it hard to believe that Meyer would have been afraid to take on the NU job and all the things that were already in place.
Urban knows 9 wins are about all that can be demanded or expected of a good coach. Anything on top of that simply sorts the good from the best.

The thing to remember is that Urban was just on the way to becoming Urban, as he had just taken the job at Utah in 03, which was Frank's last season. I could easily see a young coach on the rise looking at a program that just fired a 9 win (10 with Bo's bowl win) coach and thinking probably not. I have no idea if Pederson even considered Meyer.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT