ADVERTISEMENT

Time to pump the breaks on this seasons expectations?

I've done as much or more with NU football, players, and the program as anybody on this board. I prefer to have enough meta-cognition to recognize my own thought patterns and I prefer to not robotically get illogical optimism because I know for me personally that becomes cynicism, and somebody must be at fault or be blamed. Ever notice how the most optimistic people now will also be the first people to lose their minds in August, in the 1st quarter when are down 14-0. They will be the first who act like petulant little children wanting a coach fired half-way through the 3rd game of the season because they are looking way too forward to watching one of the worst football teams from the last 10 years. Husker fans are some of the most brutal towards huskers because they robotically cycle from optimism to cynicism to depression every year even though there isn't a single argument for why this team will be "good". Hopefully they are at least entertaining or give us a carrot to look forward to in the future.
a lot of truth here, but the mob doesn't want truth..

fans just want to be fans.. they want to praise the good stuff and curse the bad stuff, both to an equal degree of illogical insanity, all while hammering back as many beers as possible so they can forget their current reality for the evening/ weekend/ month as they see fit :)

you don't need to be fast to be efficient in this league

I do think he'll be a nice asset this year and beyond, not only as a pass catcher but also in the run game
Know where you’re going. Get open. Catch the ball. Be a good run blocker. Todd Christensen was extremely slow but he was a great TE for the Raiders.

Reactions: king_kong_
Know where you’re going. Get open. Catch the ball. Be a good run blocker. Todd Christensen was extremely slow but he was a great TE for the Raiders.
exactly.

just catch it when it comes your way. every QB needs a reliable security blanket.

there's a reason Rhule awarded him a scholarship. you mentioned the spring game (100% agree with your opinion) - he both started and was responsible for the longest play from scrimmage.

I don't think that's happenstance. won't be a featured weapon, but he strikes me as a kid who can be trusted.

Last edited:
Nothing has changed. Offense has a ton of potential. Defense is a question mark for me. If Sims is ok to good and stays healthy then things could get interesting on O. Grant is good. Ervin is a quality backup. Depth at wr with lots of different body types and skill sets. TE has tons of potential. Oline is a question mark but Scott and Nouelli should help big time.
Big if for Sims to stay healthy. How many Husker quarterbacks have played every game in a season the last 23 years?

I've done as much or more with NU football, players, and the program as anybody on this board. I prefer to have enough meta-cognition to recognize my own thought patterns and I prefer to not robotically get illogical optimism because I know for me personally that becomes cynicism, and somebody must be at fault or be blamed. Ever notice how the most optimistic people now will also be the first people to lose their minds in August, in the 1st quarter when are down 14-0. They will be the first who act like petulant little children wanting a coach fired half-way through the 3rd game of the season because they are looking way too forward to watching one of the worst football teams from the last 10 years. Husker fans are some of the most brutal towards huskers because they robotically cycle from optimism to cynicism to depression every year even though there isn't a single argument for why this team will be "good". Hopefully they are at least entertaining or give us a carrot to look forward to in the future.
I guess it’s easy to say “ you have done as much as anyone” without having to offer proof

This is the same Cornhusker Juan that was talking shit to Malachi and His mom in their DMs when he hadn't committed. He's also dragged some others on twitter long ago.. He's a clown
Same dude that used to TRASH Husker Fans on these same boards before he got hired to pump the sunshine, Can't stand the dude.

Reactions: tjlSker90
It also comes down to are we going to protect him and strategically run him or use the Frost method of just running him until he's half dead.
I have posted these comments often before, so sorry in advance for repeating my self.

After watching Frost's offenses prior to coming to Nebraska, he did not rely on a running QB to the extent that Martinez ran the ball. Mariota was a skilled runner but only ran the ball 8 or 9 times per game, Vernon Adams wasn't exceptionally mobile. Milton at UCF was mobile but again only ran the ball 8-9 times per game.

When Frost arrived here either he made a conscious choice to practically double to amount of times the QB ran the ball, the QB ran the ball out of necessity (pass rush), or the QB wasn't patient enough in the pass game and tucked the ball an ran more than the offense was designed to do. Probably a combo of all 3. I do believe Osborne was in Frost's ear when it came to having a QB that could run. I believe that played into why Frost went with Martinez of Gebbia right off the bat. The OLine has been porous and I don't think Martinez was exceptionally patient in the pocket, some because of the OL and some because he didn't trust himself to throw the ball in tight spaces.

This folks is what we call complete unadulterated bull shit. “I've done as much or more with NU football, players, and the program as anybody on this board.” 🤣

Considering I know who many on this board are, in real life, this most certainly one of the biggest loads of crap ever spewed on the internet. You are a fraud and you know it.

This folks is what we call complete unadulterated bull shit. “I've done as much or more with NU football, players, and the program as anybody on this board.” 🤣

Considering I know who many on this board are, in real life, this most certainly one of the biggest loads of crap ever spewed on the internet. You are a fraud and you know it.
Not sure which one of the toad-lickers that I have put the dumbshite filter on because I can't see what it's posting but "fraud" is being nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: V-Doub
If the OL and DL can be above average a lot of good things can happen. Sims might be the best athlete NU has ever had at QB. The receivers and running backs are above average. Defense won't be spectacular but the Big 10 west isn't exactly the SEC.
Let's not forget how important fundamentals are to winning. In the Frost era we were so lacking in discipline it was embarrassing. Not making stupid mistakes is all about coaching and I'm confident that is an area that will improve.

Sims might be the best athlete NU has ever had at QB.
Mother of god….

26b48275-9803-46d1-9be3-92095f475114_text.gif

If the OL and DL can be above average a lot of good things can happen. Sims might be the best athlete NU has ever had at QB. The receivers and running backs are above average. Defense won't be spectacular but the Big 10 west isn't exactly the SEC.
Let's not forget how important fundamentals are to winning. In the Frost era we were so lacking in discipline it was embarrassing. Not making stupid mistakes is all about coaching and I'm confident that is an area that will improve.
If the OL and DL are above average we will have an amazing season. I’d be happy with average at this point.

Based on the projected depth chart our first string offense and defense consist of:
1 *****
13 ****
7 ***
1 ** (Nouili - our best returning lineman)
1 unranked (Reimer - our best returning linebacker)

Talent isn't the problem. Coaching and development has been. If those are fixed this team should be the best team in the division and it shouldn't be close.

When he says “athlete” he’s talking whole package including SIZE and arm strength to go with the speed. He’s faster than Frazier. Bigger than Crouch.

Athleticism isn’t necessarily about speed and strength - it is what you do with that speed and strength.

we have a lot of QB recruits down the years that were bigger than Crouch and faster than Frazier that never saw the field or disappointed when they did

I hope he flourishes in a new system with new coaching. His numbers thus far at the collegiate level have been pedestrian

the 2 most important traits for me at QB are decision making and accuracy

the QB that Wisconsin pulled from SMU that threw for 7000+ yards 72 TDs and 22 INTs the last 2 years worries me

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
Do you know the National Recruiting Analyst?

Based on the projected depth chart our first string offense and defense consist of:
1 *****
13 ****
7 ***
1 ** (Nouili - our best returning lineman)
1 unranked (Reimer - our best returning linebacker)

Talent isn't the problem. Coaching and development has been. If those are fixed this team should be the best team in the division and it shouldn't be close.
This. The talent has always been in Lincoln. It just was squandered by dime store coaching. Blue chip players have to be challenged by elite level training cycles or they won’t get better. Duval took a meathead approach and produced an immobile Oline out of a group of well regarded recruits. Rule One of training should be don’t bleed the athleticism out of the athlete.

Athleticism isn’t necessarily about speed and strength - it is what you do with that speed and strength.

we have a lot of QB recruits down the years that were bigger than Crouch and faster than Frazier that never saw the field or disappointed when they did

I hope he flourishes in a new system with new coaching. His numbers thus far at the collegiate level have been pedestrian

the QB that Wisconsin pulled from SMU that threw for 7000+ yards 72 TDs and 22 INTs the last 2 years worries me
I think you’re off on your definition of athleticism. To me that’s about measurables. You can be a tremendous athlete and still not produce on the field. I agree with the rest of your post.

You mean the one that threw like 4 picks in Wisconsin spring game?

In just my opinion, a TMART clone would be outrageously terrific! Way, way better than anyone else we've ever had. But, I just like to dream....:)

Yah yah yah.. remember when wisky got their 5 star qb.. everyone was saying omg watch out for Wisky.. they sucked balls with mertz.

Smu? Big deal. I’d take a qb with power 5 experience.

Yah yah yah.. remember when wisky got their 5 star qb.. everyone was saying omg watch out for Wisky.. they sucked balls with mertz.

Smu? Big deal. I’d take a qb with power 5 experience.
Exactly - that is why we should beat them handily this year - mark it down as a W

(Although to be fair - we brought in a QB with power 5 experience last year and Mertz beat us)

Better coaching
Better QB

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Sims isn’t even the fastest QB in the room today

But he’s more than capable of playing winning football

I think Rhule will have him looking PJ Walkerish this year & we will be ultra conservative on offense
Rhule had said Sims has supposedly run a 4.45 so he’s plenty fast. TMart before his lower leg injury had insane straight line speed but Sims looks like a more natural runner to me.

You could say all those trait things about HH and others. Production matters and that hasn’t happened yet. Stay healthy, develop, and make a bowl game, that is the goal this year.

Reactions: RBigredMax
Rhule had said Sims has supposedly run a 4.45 so he’s plenty fast. TMart before his lower leg injury had insane straight line speed but Sims looks like a more natural runner to me.
TMart's 10 yd dash time had to be insane. His acceleration was off the charts.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT