ADVERTISEMENT

Time to come home my Big 8 brothers

Lol finally admitting how weak you always needed things to be a power before... you look down on programs you perceive to be beneath you. But would they really have been beneath you if you had to play Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa in a four week span in the 90s?

It’s the beating you take.. it takes its toll

Quit trolling and stfu

Welcome to never being what you once were...

“We got a big win v Oklahoma, now we get to go hide in the big 12 north!”

Now you’re going to Wisconsin to get beat up some more.. no hiding in this conference

I’m a Big 10 alum dipsh*t

To which address should we return all those championship trophies? We'd feel wrong keeping them when others have so few.

Lol finally admitting how weak you always needed things to be a power before... you look down on programs you perceive to be beneath you. But would they really have been beneath you if you had to play Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa in a four week span in the 90s?

It’s the beating you take.. it takes its toll
I don’t know why you’re talking trash. I think everybody knows the B1G is way tougher than the Big12.

Hell, I flat out admitted it.

Last edited:
I don’t know why you’re talking trash. I think everybody knows the B1G is way tougher than the Big12.

Hell, I flat our admitted it.

So you equally admit that if many of the programs that I often see referred to here as lesser programs...

Didn’t have to play those tough schedules decade after decade.. things may have been a lot different?

So you equally admit that if many of the programs that I often see referred to here as lesser programs...

Didn’t have to play those tough schedules decade after decade.. things may have been a lot different?
No. The 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and even the 2000s in the Big Eight/XII have little to do with the parity and strength of the Big Ten today.

To imply that Nebraska during its four decades of dominance (roughly 1962 through 2001) was simply riding an easy schedule into the post-season — a la UCF in 2017 — is an ill-informed argument.

The chart at this link shows that the Big Eight was a better conference throughout the 1970s than the Big Ten and remained better through the 1980s and into the 1990s. The Big Ten was slightly better than the Big Eight/XII during Nebraska's 60-3 five-year run from 1993-1997. But Nebraska was crushing SEC teams for national championships and in other bowls during that period when the SEC took over as the best conference : 1963 over Auburn, 1969 over Georgia, 1970 over LSU, 1971 over Alabama, 1974 over Florida, 1980 over Mississippi State, 1982 over LSU, 1984 over LSU, 1986 over LSU, 1995 over Florida, 1997 over Tennessee and 1999 over Tennessee. I'm not even including regular-season victories against Auburn and Alabama.

I think any fair analysis would say that Nebraska was a national championship program during that 40-year period, no matter the strength of the Big Eight. From 1965 through 2001, Nebraska played in 10 bowl games where a win would mean a title. We won five of those.

Let's look at the Big Eight/XII during those 10 years:
TLDR (Iowa) version: The Big Eight/XII was at least as good as the Big Ten during Nebraska's long run of championship contention.

What are we now? Not very good. But we can still cherish the past without some Hawkeye/Boiler/Buckeye/Wolverine/Badger illegitimately pissing in our Corn Flakes.

We cherish the past, live in the dismal present, and hope for a brighter future.

Enjoy your Saturday.

More.

During the Devaney, Osborne and Solich eras — those years we played for national titles — we DID play Big Ten teams quite a bit. Our records:
  • 2-0 vs. Illinois
  • 4-0 vs. Indiana
  • 5-1 vs. Iowa
  • 1-1 vs. Michigan
  • 3-0 vs. MSU (includes win in Alamo Bowl after Solich was fired)
  • 14-0 vs. Minnesota
  • 2-0 vs. Northwestern
  • 0-0 vs. Ohio State
  • 4-3 vs. Penn State (1-1 during PSU's term in the Big Ten)
  • 0-0 vs. Purdue
  • 3-1 vs. Wisconsin
So the Big Ten — which I've already demonstrated was not a better conference than the Big Eight/XII during Nebraska's run — didn't provide a lot of roadblocks for the Huskers when we did play those teams.

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT