ADVERTISEMENT

Thompson is N!

Finally a stat that we can look at that actually matters.

The only other stat would be wins...
Fumbles lost is also a stat. I don’t know if every college football QB combined could rival our former QB in that one (I think he lost 30-something fumbles in 4 years).

Sorry you got your teeth kicked in in this thread. Maybe next time? Keep your head up & GBR!

Agreed!

Now, what was the completion %
Completion percentage without the context of how many of those passes were quick bubble or WR screens to the flat don't mean as much as you think. AMart's stats were inflated with those types of easy pitches and also some forward laterals. AMart's struggle in the redzone and 2 minute offense and the obvious fact that he often missed wide open receivers were problems for me.

Completion percentage without the context of how many of those passes were quick bubble or WR screens to the flat don't mean as much as you think. AMart's stats were inflated with those types of easy pitches and also some forward laterals. AMart's struggle in the redzone and 2 minute offense and the obvious fact that he often missed wide open receivers were problems for me.
I agree with this completely.

However, our WR corps improved so much from ‘20-‘21, AM actually averaged 9.1 Y/A, more than a full yard improvement from seasons past (that is a gigantic leap). And he was really bad on short throws (due to his extreme inaccuracy).

Thompson’s Y/A was in the low 8s last year, on the high side of average.

For the millionth time, I hope Whipp/Frost chuck it deep A LOT this year. We have the horses!

Typically, really good things happen when teams average over 9 Y/A.

I agree with this completely.

However, our WR corps improved so much from ‘20-‘21, AM actually averaged 9.1 Y/A, more than a full yard improvement from seasons past (that is a gigantic leap). And he was really bad on short throws (due to his extreme inaccuracy).

Thompson’s Y/A was in the low 8s last year, on the high side of average.

For the millionth time, I hope Whipp/Frost chuck it deep A LOT this year. We have the horses!

Typically, really good things happen when teams average over 9 Y/A.
I'm fine with short dumps across the middle if we can hit guys in stride when they're open. Do that enough, run the ball and the deep balls will come. I do think we did a better job in those last 2 games of targeting our TEs in particular. It's going to be fun to watch what this deal morphs in to but I'm still concerned about a wholesale change in the offense.

I'm fine with short dumps across the middle if we can hit guys in stride when they're open. Do that enough, run the ball and the deep balls will come. I do think we did a better job in those last 2 games of targeting our TEs in particular. It's going to be fun to watch what this deal morphs in to but I'm still concerned about a wholesale change in the offense.
I don’t really anticipate a wholesale change in the offense.

The offense changed a lot between ‘20-‘21, and I think the evolution continues (more deep throws, more RB/Heavy run packages). And Whipp just needs to let his nuts hang calling plays no matter the score.

I don’t really anticipate a wholesale change in the offense.

The offense changed a lot between ‘20-‘21, and I think the evolution continues (more deep throws, more RB/Heavy run packages). And Whipp just needs to let his nuts hang calling plays no matter the score.
What about the option plays? Will they be a thing of the past?

Got in a little late, but Thompson is a huge upgrade from AM. We have a good group of receivers, I think another year of running back experience will help tremendously, and Teddy and the OL should do just fine without Austin. There's no excuse not to be massively improved on offense next year.

CT stats are better than AM, at least a little bit better, and so we have to see what happens.

I'm not celebrating this like the rest of you though, and the reason is, I see Frost doing the same things as before, and hoping to get a different result.

I am not sold on this guy even being Whipple's choice at this point. I suspect Scott will still be making these calls on who the starter is. I guess we have to see what happens.

I think Whipple and Haarberg are still the best combination in the room right now, and anything else just muddies the waters for that scenario.

Frost has this thing for soft spoken subservient QB's with the mop head hair and headbands, (just kidding) at least that is what it appears we are getting again, but I don't want to rain on everyone's bit of husker joy too much either.

I did not read thru the 5 pages. So if someone has brought this up I apologize. Is this gonna turn out like the Sam keller move, due to him about to lose his starting spot? Or is this more similar to the A Mart move, with the injuries being the common theme?

I did not read thru the 5 pages. So if someone has brought this up I apologize. Is this gonna turn out like the Sam keller move, due to him about to lose his starting spot? Or is this more similar to the A Mart move, with the injuries being the common theme?
Thompson had a thumb injury, not a shoulder injury like Martinez. Thompson also wasn't playing for the guy who recruited him either. I'm not sure CT and his dad care much for Sark which IMO is understandable. So when Sark sold his soul to get Ewers to come to UT, it made it easy in this normal year to transfer to what they view as a better fit. The two situations are very different and nothing like Sam Keller's situation. Keller had some social issues at his previous school.

Reactions: headcard

Why are those the options? What can’t it be a Jake Hurts, Baker Mayfield or Russell Wilson move?

live look at Whipple + Thompson leading the QB run game where it belongs:

giphy.gif
As long as this doesn't happen

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Since there is so much concern about what “type” of person he is.

Beck was quite complimentary of him and in very specific ways. Makes me feel even better about landing him.
While HS may be irrelevant now….

“He accumulated 12,840 total yards (OK record) and 154 total touchdowns during his career ... passed for 9,829 yards and 107 touchdowns with only 26 interceptions, while rushing for 3,011 yards and 47 touchdowns on 511 carries ... completed 222 passes on 383 attempts for 3,249 yards and 37 touchdowns with nine interceptions, while rushing for 861 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior ... guided an offense that averaged 36.9 points per game, despite a 3-7 record.”

The last sentence clarifies his defense wasn’t helping him out .

• Wow
Reactions: NikkiSixx
Beck was quite complimentary of him and in very specific ways. Makes me feel even better about landing him.
While HS may be irrelevant now….

“He accumulated 12,840 total yards (OK record) and 154 total touchdowns during his career ... passed for 9,829 yards and 107 touchdowns with only 26 interceptions, while rushing for 3,011 yards and 47 touchdowns on 511 carries ... completed 222 passes on 383 attempts for 3,249 yards and 37 touchdowns with nine interceptions, while rushing for 861 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior ... guided an offense that averaged 36.9 points per game, despite a 3-7 record.”

The last sentence clarifies his defense wasn’t helping him out .
so he was 3-7 in high school, this is a joke right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT