ADVERTISEMENT

This will probably sound a bit pie-in-the sky / naïve… But how would one get a kids film in front of Nebraska recruiters…

SantaBarbaraSker

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2005
Where ever my wife tells me to be.
My best bud of the last 25+ years and my quarterback for my illustrious one year career at Cal Poly Laughing has a son who is a stud quarterback here at Santa Barbara HS.

My friend, his father, was a quarterback in Santa Barbara high back in the day won two State championships and broke every one of Randall Cunningham‘s high school records. He was offered a scholarship to Oklahoma State and a couple of other D1 programs but wanted to stay closer to home.…. Anyway, his son is bigger, faster, and stronger than his dad ever was and he’s only 15.

He Led the Santa Barbara Gauchos to the state championship game last year as a sophomore in his first year as a starter. He’s already 6’2” 210 pounds and can squat 405 pounds at 15 years of age.

His fathers a pretty stout dude but look at the picture of the two of them. His dad has been a lifelong Notre Dame fan but I’ve converted both of Nebraska. We head back to a game once a year and they love the place. Whenever anyone asks where he wants to play college ball, the kid says Nebraska… He gets some funny looks considering our record the last few years.

Anyway, I’m sure it’s a long-shot, but thought maybe someone would know a way to approach this.

5-D28-A5-C1-7-C11-4-D23-B4-B6-91-B619655934.jpg

Reactions: king_kong_
My best bud of the last 25+ years and my quarterback for my illustrious one year career at Cal Poly Laughing has a son who is a stud quarterback here at Santa Barbara HS.

My friend, his father, was a quarterback in Santa Barbara high back in the day won two State championships and broke every one of Randall Cunningham‘s high school records. He was offered a scholarship to Oklahoma State and a couple of other D1 programs but wanted to stay closer to home.…. Anyway, his son is bigger, faster, and stronger than his dad ever was and he’s only 15.

He Led the Santa Barbara Gauchos to the state championship game last year as a sophomore in his first year as a starter. He’s already 6’2” 210 pounds and can squat 405 pounds at 15 years of age.

His fathers a pretty stout dude but look at the picture of the two of them. His dad has been a lifelong Notre Dame fan but I’ve converted both of Nebraska. We head back to a game once a year and they love the place. Whenever anyone asks where he wants to play college ball, the kid says Nebraska… He gets some funny looks considering our record the last few years.

Anyway, I’m sure it’s a long-shot, but thought maybe someone would know a way to approach this.

5-D28-A5-C1-7-C11-4-D23-B4-B6-91-B619655934.jpg

His coach needs to contact. Most videos are shared through HUDL. He needs to attend one of their camps. That is the most important thing.

if he is D1 talent he will get noticed first by the local D1 schools and start to garner scholarship offers

if he starts getting offers from schools like Fresno, Nevada etc then some interest from PAC12 schools then he will get broader national looks

there are plenty of D1 schools in his region - the best judge of his talent is the local and regional interest who are most likely to be familiar with his play -- if there is wide regional D1 interest along with some of the power 5 schools then more national interest will follow

camps this summer are critical - if mountain west offers aren’t coming then it is likely unrealistic unless he would consider a walkon opportunity

good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: SantaBarbaraSker
Yep, coaches like to watch QBs throw in person. I have no idea who is responsible for recruiting Cali but if you find out, contact them, have them look at his HUDL and come watch him throw IF they can. There are some rules on this, the coaches will know.

The best way? This board obviously. We're all really, REALLY connected! Honestly though, good luck to the kid, it's cool that a kid from Santa Barbara dreams about playing for the Huskers.

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT