ADVERTISEMENT

This is what I want to hear and see more of… from everyone

Perhaps an aside, but does it seem disproportionately weird that throwing motions of D1 quarterbacks vary so widely?

Pretty much every D1 baseball player looks the same once they’re ‘loaded’ and ready to swing. Same for basketball shooters.

Maybe I’m naive, but why would it not be the same for quarterbacks? We know what mechanics produce the best results

I don’t mind seeing video evidence, but it’s not about that. Every player just needs to confirm they’re getting work in. GBR

Yeah I was just watching this video and it really shows the kid has a strong arm. Now it's all about learning the offense and competing. I think the QB room is going to thin out pretty quick after spring ball and that's not a bad thing it gives kids who aren't going to play at Nebraska a chance at other schools.

Perhaps an aside, but does it seem disproportionately weird that throwing motions of D1 quarterbacks vary so widely?

Pretty much every D1 baseball player looks the same once they’re ‘loaded’ and ready to swing. Same for basketball shooters.

Maybe I’m naive, but why would it not be the same for quarterbacks? We know what mechanics produce the best results
Ask national he's evaluated all of em

Got a strong arm. His footwork is inconsistent and hence, his accuracy is inconsistent as well. I had the same evaluation when he was in HS as well
I remember sitting behind you at his HS game against Flagler Palm Coast. I looked over your shoulder and saw your notes.
I thought similar things and took a page from your book, so to speak.

I can't deny, you are naive. lol

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Spot-on analysis and useful information as always.
Not that I want to agree with the so-called analyst... Sims has a strong arm. He throws much better to his left than his right. His throws to the left are on target, and the throws to the right tend to be high.

He tends to rush his feet when throwing to the right and you can see he really doesn't close out the left foot and let the hips rotate because of that. His left foot tends to bounce a little rather than close out.

Even his hips are damn good at throwing to his left, to the right he tends to let the foot dictate the path of the hips cause he's kind of falling away from the throw.

Just like Taylor Martinez, all this stuff can be cleaned up, the problem is having them not revert back to these poor actions when the game is on.

He still throws it a helluva lot better than I ever did. He does have that really good physical size and a really strong arm. He can be a really good one if they can get him totally squared away.

How he throws the long ball is not on this little clip.

Last edited:
Watched this video several times. Note that Satterfield also commented that he had some things that needed to be fixed. What little I know about QB mechanics is his footwork needs some work. He isn't pointing his front foot at the target and stepping into the throw. The feet have to follow the eyes. It also appears he has somewhat of a cross arm throwing motion. The good ones I was around bring the arm over the top and straight down with the thumb pointing down on the follow through. I didn't exhaust the net, this video has some good fundamental drills. https://www.google.com/search?q=foo...&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_UynDY7CEONGrqtsPxKOZ0AQ_33

Perhaps getting perfect mechanics every time is a pipe dream considering the QB has to worry about getting run over by a freight train every play. A pitcher in baseball doesn't have that to worry about, and most of the time it isn't the case in basketball.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Perhaps getting perfect mechanics every time is a pipe dream considering the QB has to worry about getting run over by a freight train every play. A pitcher in baseball doesn't have that to worry about, and most of the time it isn't the case in basketball.
Not during drills where there’s no defense

Reactions: moralvictories
I couldn’t tell on one of his throws in particular if he was not setting his feet on purpose because he’s drilling getting rid of the ball under pressure.
I don’t want us to pull a Verduzco where we forego everything else it takes to play QB in favor of perfecting mechanics.

@king_kong_ I’m fine with simulating the non-ideal scenarios where he just needs to get rid of the ball. I want a QB who just naturally slings it accurately, but also want them to have proper footwork whenever the situation allows.

I look at Sims’ Georgia Tech production (numbers) and see nothing impressive. So, whether that was him or the team/scheme, we need more out of him than he’s done in the past. Casey had more attractive stats before coming here.

It's weird that you're trying to compare the mechanics of swinging a bat to throwing a football, instead of throwing a baseball. Even in baseball, EVERY player has a different arm angle, release point, ect. Perhaps there's not just one "right" way to throw a football for each kid either.

It's weird that you're trying to compare the mechanics of swinging a bat to throwing a football, instead of throwing a baseball. Even in baseball, EVERY player has a different arm angle, release point, ect. Perhaps there's not just one "right" way to throw a football for each kid either.
As you say swinging a bat and throwing a football is different.

The rest of what you say is mostly wrong.

Reactions: king_kong_
Those are just examples (obviously)

Name the athletic endeavor and all elite athletes look relatively the same doing them at a certain point

Success still varies because we’re not robots, but it’s something I’m curious about

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT