ADVERTISEMENT

This game is going to tell us a lot about this coaching staff…

V-Doub

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2007
Langley Falls
Been thinking about this a bit, and I can’t shake the notion that these last two 2 games are going to be very telling with regards to our coaching staff. So take note. Last week’s loss was very disappointing, you felt it in your gut, you saw it in the eyes of anyone and everyone who cares about this program and university. So… how do you respond to adversity and morale crushing disappointment? And it may not be quantified by whether we win or lose, but how they play. And if they play their guts out, and still lose, how do they respond to that?

I think these two games will be key indicators of what we can expect from this staff going forward, JMO. I obviously hope they’re able to keep the kids motivated and believing. And if that’s obvious and apparent it will give me a lot more faith these guys (or at least most of them) have what it takes to turn this shit around. That’s all, just some thoughts on Friday night before a big game. Have at it and gbr!

Been thinking about this a bit, and I can’t shake the notion that these last two 2 games are going to be very telling with regards to our coaching staff. So take note. Last week’s loss was very disappointing, you felt it in your gut, you saw it in the eyes of anyone and everyone who cares about this program and university. So… how do you respond to adversity and morale crushing disappointment? And it may not be quantified by whether we win or lose, but how they play. And if they play their guts out, and still lose, how do they respond to that?

I think these two games will be key indicators of what we can expect from this staff going forward, JMO. I obviously hope they’re able to keep the kids motivated and believing. And if that’s obvious and apparent it will give me a lot more faith these guys (or at least most of them) have what it takes to turn this shit around. That’s all, just some thoughts on Friday night before a big game. Have at it and gbr!
I'm going to agree with you. I'm thinking similar, but in terms of the QB position, and the rest of the team.

I think HH gets it done and the team backs him up. They already play like a good unit, so that is what I am expecting.

I want to see the coaching staff in this mix as well. Not that there hasn't been cohesion, but at times, the play calling and decisions have been head scratching.

I want to see everyone on the same page sort to speak.. and it will indeed tell a lot about where we are going.

If we fail, either this game or the next, it starts to write different story lines, and I'd rather not go down those paths.

Reactions: V-Doub
This isn’t Barry or Burt’s Badgers, they’re reeling, maybe even wondering why they decided to blow up a foundation that was already solid. Wisconsin’s offense is not explosive and I wonder what they’ll do if Nebraska continually stuffs their run game. On our end of things it’s the same as always, don’t turn the ball over.

I don't think losing both games will tell me much. The Rhule machine has a "process". We have been told that only about a hundred-million times since he arrived. The fact that they put all their eggs into the Sims basket isn't going to cause them to change their process. Regardless whether they win out, split the last two, or lose out they will look to the portal/JCs for another QB or two, hope Daniel Kaelin can be brought along hopefully sooner than later, and press on implementing their "process" next year.

I don't think losing both games will tell me much. The Rhule machine has a "process". We have been told that only about a hundred-million times since he arrived. The fact that they put all their eggs into the Sims basket isn't going to cause them to change their process. Regardless whether they win out, split the last two, or lose out they will look to the portal/JCs for another QB or two, hope Daniel Kaelin can be brought along hopefully sooner than later, and press on implementing their "process" next year.
I only saw Kaelin in his last game and didn’t see a lot to be excited about -- for the near term at least. His qb camp performance was a nice achievement so I realize he has some skills. And of course his high school team was overmatched in its final game,

I only saw Kaelin in his last game and didn’t see a lot to be excited about -- for the near term at least. His qb camp performance was a nice achievement so I realize he has some skills. And of course his high school team was overmatched in its final game,
I agree.. I don't see him as having any future impact at all.

Reactions: Chuck003

I couldn’t agree more, OP

Yet another 1st year coach who radically changed his team

Rhule is 2-1 against his peers in this coaching class (beat PUR, NW, L to Deion).

We’ll see how he stacks up against Fickell who instead of bringing in 1 portal QB brought in 3.

From the sounds of it, Jeff Sims was amazing in 7 on 7. Much different during actual games

Matt seems like he won’t be here long. No insight other than my opinion. Just a hunch.

Reactions: Catch50
Matt seems like he won’t be here long. No insight other than my opinion. Just a hunch.
I have always thought that even if he said different. He would go back to PSU if they would have him.

Reactions: c3o
I have always thought that even if he said different. He would go back to PSU if they would have him.
He just doesn’t have a history of staying put and I think he’d leave if something better for him came along. But I have no idea, just my opinion

So if we lose the last two games you want Rhule fired?

Hyperbolic. This team is so many strides better than last year as a cohesive unit. If we had above average QB play, this squad would be looking at 8-9 wins…comfortably. The turnovers and meltdowns have almost all come from that position. Getting 1 more win and a bowl would be fantastic, but shouldn’t sway what we think about the future.

I'm going to agree with you. I'm thinking similar, but in terms of the QB position, and the rest of the team.

I think HH gets it done and the team backs him up. They already play like a good unit, so that is what I am expecting.

I want to see the coaching staff in this mix as well. Not that there hasn't been cohesion, but at times, the play calling and decisions have been head scratching.

I want to see everyone on the same page sort to speak.. and it will indeed tell a lot about where we are going.

If we fail, either this game or the next, it starts to write different story lines, and I'd rather not go down those paths.
HH won’t be starting and questionable if he plays..

And I disagree with your comment it writes a story that the program is not going in the right direction..

Hyperbolic. This team is so many strides better than last year as a cohesive unit. If we had above average QB play, this squad would be looking at 8-9 wins…comfortably. The turnovers and meltdowns have almost all come from that position. Getting 1 more win and a bowl would be fantastic, but shouldn’t sway what we think about the future.
We don’t even need above average QB play. I will settle for average at best. Below average gets us to a bowl already. What we have seen has been pitiful, which falls well below ‘below average.’

I see Rhule as the kind of person who is 100% bought in to what he is doing and is relentless. He is not afraid to take on difficult challenges and uses a proven model to achieve his success. I would speculate that Rhule overextends himself to the point of near complete exhaustion in the process of reviving a program. I have seen this in others, people wonder why they don't stay at one place very long. It is because they are change agents, they love the challenge and are very good at it but it clearly takes a toll on them personally. Just my two worthless cents.

The only thing that’s scary is that a good offense is no guarantee. We are still dealing with “ifs”. Although it’s hard to imagine QB play being worse next year, but it could be

Reactions: kakdawg
The only thing that’s scary is that a good offense is no guarantee. We are still dealing with “ifs”. Although it’s hard to imagine QB play being worse next year, but it could be
That’s if they don’t get anyone in the Portal..

Sure this staff knows they need one possibly two QB’s besides Kaelin who will be groomed for a year or two..

Reactions: BleedRed78 and c3o
That would be some kind of failure not to improve a position that bad. Cutting the turnovers in half at the very minimum should be an easily obtainable goal.

That would be some kind of failure not to improve a position that bad. Cutting the turnovers in half at the very minimum should be an easily obtainable goal.
Well, maybe not you but with the past coaches I’d go into the next season thinking facets of the team would improve, and they didn’t. I do like a lot of things about this new staff but the offense is the worst I’ve ever seen

Well, maybe not you but with the past coaches I’d go into the next season thinking facets of the team would improve, and they didn’t. I do like a lot of things about this new staff but the offense is the worst I’ve ever seen
I feel ya, but I think we have grown folks running this program now. Despite the recent losses, almost every position or position group has improved, outside of QB and WR. WR by proxy I’m sure.

We've already blown two winnable games and didn't show up against a bad MSU team. I don't think we'll win for the first time in forever in Madison today. Perhaps against Iowa next week.

Kaelin isn't going to help.

We will see what the coaches are made of tonight. I suspect it's more of the "Bill Callahan" model of never looking back and what's done is done, in other words, no respect for our tradition or what the program desperately needs. If they come out slinging the ball around, I'll know they aren't serious about winning this game and getting us to a bowl.

Kaelin isn't going to help.

We will see what the coaches are made of tonight. I suspect it's more of the "Bill Callahan" model of never looking back and what's done is done, in other words, no respect for our tradition or what the program desperately needs. If they come out slinging the ball around, I'll know they aren't serious about winning this game and getting us to a bowl.
lol with the no respect for our tradition comment. Rhule has embraced so much of our traditions already, talking with TO, we lead the league in rushing, super physical practices… and you think he has no respect for our traditions? Some posts from certain posters just don’t make sense to me.

lol with the no respect for our tradition comment. Rhule has embraced so much of our traditions already, talking with TO, we lead the league in rushing, super physical practices… and you think he has no respect for our traditions? Some posts from certain posters just don’t make sense to me.
Have you seen him kneeling to the TO shrine? Has he run the fullback 6+ times per game? Yeah, me neither. New Yorker is sus.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
The only tradition I care about is winning. That was our calling card. Talking to TO is ridiculous, Riley did that stuff too, who cares? I want to know these guys will develop game plans to win games even when things aren't going their way. That's the best way to honor TO.

Have you seen him kneeling to the TO shrine? Has he run the fullback 6+ times per game? Yeah, me neither. New Yorker is sus.
Have you seen him make an effort to run the ball? Have you seen the physical nature of his practices? Are those not trademarks of Husker lore? Nice to see that you conveniently ignored those facts.

Maybe he hasn’t embraced every single tradition, the horror, but he has embraced a lot more than you want to give him credit for. You don’t like him, it’s as simple as that.

Edit: actually intended for @redli, mostly…

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
As far as I know he hasn't made our team stand in front of the student section and sing like Callahan did. Gawd that was painful to watch. So bonus points for that.

You tell me what the staff will be like if we win one of the two last games? how different would you say the staff will be if we lose the next two? I didn’t know what to expect from this season, I am happy with the improvement on the defense and special teams and the offense has been decimated with injuries. All in all I firmly believe Rhule will right the ship

Reactions: timnsun
You tell me what the staff will be like if we win one of the two last games? how different would you say the staff will be if we lose the next two? I didn’t know what to expect from this season, I am happy with the improvement on the defense and special teams and the offense has been decimated with injuries. All in all I firmly believe Rhule will right the ship

Jesus Christ dude?!?! Did you even read my post? It’s pretty clear, I said if they play inspired but still lose that’s a good sign, even though they lost, they(coaches) were able to coach them up and keep them focused and motivated after a tough loss.

So… obviously, if they win one of these two games it’s pretty safe say they played hard and stayed motivated. Are you new to reading?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT