ADVERTISEMENT

This is the year

It certainly has been an interesting to watch and listen to fan reaction to our past coaches. Frost was tabbed to be the best young coach in the business. If anyone dared to question how his teams at UCF won, you were called out. He went from GOAT to goat and not even welcome in his home state. He certainly proved his value as head coach. For me, the changes in winning need to be dramatic. Not just wins, but convincing wins where Rhule teams out play and out coach lesser opponents. Eventually you run out of the “easy 6 wins” and have to smash helmets with the big boys and win. When we can do that, we will be considered to be back.
Amen. Locals keep reminding us that these are all going to be one-score games. They shouldn’t be, and I wish they would shut the F up.

I cannot quote this enough.

This level of hype is sort of reminding me of 2019. Frost was coming off of a 4-8 season in his first year but finished with some momentum, and so all the experts were very high on the Huskers in his second year. They even started 2019 ranked in the preseason polls.

Then that first game against South Alabama happened. They won, but it was not the blowout everyone thought it would be. At one point, South Alabama was only down by a touchdown, if I remember correctly. Then Nebraska pulled away late with some defense and special teams play. Overall, they didn't look all that impressive.

The next week, they lost to Colorado. The rest is history.

This is why I keep saying the first game against UTEP is so important. It doesn't necessarily make or break the season, but it could be a tone-setter and confidence-builder. Or the reverse.

All that being said, there is reason to be optimistic. Rhule is not Frost. The defense is salty as hell thanks to Tony White, and there appears to be better overall talent on this team than there was in 2019, particularly at the QB position and on the coaching staff.

The only thing we can do is wait and see.

Yeah pros and cons beautiful area hiking. fishing half hour to ski resort. snow mobiling. Cons is home prices and traffic and dipshit liberals
I'm somewhat liberal myself, but i get that there's a lot of the stupid Seattle's non best types mucking up the place. And dad about how prices skyrocketing there from that Cali money

I cannot quote this enough.

This level of hype is sort of reminding me of 2019. Frost was coming off of a 4-8 season in his first year but finished with some momentum, and so all the experts were very high on the Huskers in his second year. They even started 2019 ranked in the preseason polls.

Then that first game against South Alabama happened. They won, but it was not the blowout everyone thought it would be. At one point, South Alabama was only down by a touchdown, if I remember correctly. Then Nebraska pulled away late with some defense and special teams play. Overall, they didn't look all that impressive.

The next week, they lost to Colorado. The rest is history.

This is why I keep saying the first game against UTEP is so important. It doesn't necessarily make or break the season, but it could be a tone-setter and confidence-builder. Or the reverse.

All that being said, there is reason to be optimistic. Rhule is not Frost. The defense is salty as hell thanks to Tony White, and there appears to be better overall talent on this team than there was in 2019, particularly at the QB position and on the coaching staff.

The only thing we can do is wait and see.
But 2023 was the opposite of 2018.

After all of the disappointments of the past twenty years, I am not willing to proclaim “this is the year” like the OP. While our schedule is easier than it will be in some future years, there is no such thing as an easy schedule anymore. And of course we need an 18 year old kid to perform like an experienced quarterback.

I am hopeful but it’s hard not to be skeptical. Last November’s total collapse going from 5-3 to 5-7 was too reminiscent of the many recent failures to believe this year will be different.
Although I am also skeptical after the last 20 years, I do believe we go bowling at worst. I think we have enough talent and experience in year 2 to make some noise. It is going to be fun!

Reactions: RedMyMind
I feel like a kid in a divorce where Mom keeps telling me my Dad is coming to pick me up , I'm still waiting on the curb.

I will do you one better with my attitude.

I feel like a kid in a divorce where Mom tells me Dad is on his way to pick me up. When he arrives, he has long hair, boobs, a dress (and very likely still his weiner).

Reactions: GaRed
Last year NU finally put players on the field that resembled football players. They lacked the confidence to compete on a weekly basis against above-average teams. Ruhle made progress but the distance between the ears was still lacking.

This year, it looks like they know what it means to compete for four quarters with the confidence they lacked. The first close game will show if it has improved. DR is still an unknown quantity, and indications are he is better than what there was last year. The difference between college and high school is mental; the speed is faster, the players are bigger, and decisions need to be quicker. Many QB's never make the adjustment. Wearing a green jersey makes you look like Tarzan, let's see what happens after a few good pops in the mouth. (Not being a doubter, just expressing facts) I love that they brought in the NAIA QB; he should be able to mentor DR on a peer level, which should help. The WR room is tons better and that should help open the running game some. If the RB's stay healthy tey can shorten the game and take pressure off DR.

By week 3 or 4 we will know the results. Cheers!

Last year NU finally put players on the field that resembled football players. They lacked the confidence to compete on a weekly basis against above-average teams. Ruhle made progress but the distance between the ears was still lacking.

This year, it looks like they know what it means to compete for four quarters with the confidence they lacked. The first close game will show if it has improved. DR is still an unknown quantity, and indications are he is better than what there was last year. The difference between college and high school is mental; the speed is faster, the players are bigger, and decisions need to be quicker. Many QB's never make the adjustment. Wearing a green jersey makes you look like Tarzan, let's see what happens after a few good pops in the mouth. (Not being a doubter, just expressing facts) I love that they brought in the NAIA QB; he should be able to mentor DR on a peer level, which should help. The WR room is tons better and that should help open the running game some. If the RB's stay healthy tey can shorten the game and take pressure off DR.

Yeah, relying on a true freshman QB is not ideal. The good news is that we have a fairly favorable schedule to break him in. Most P4 teams are going to have some dudes on defense... last year even struggling Purdue had some guys who beat the crap out of Haarburg.
Opponents are going to throw the kitchen sink at Raiola and it's going to be interesting to see how he and the team handle it. IF he doesn't get rattled or beat up I think we will roll, if he does, it's going to be a battle to get 6-7 wins.

I think by week 2 we will know a lot!

I will do you one better with my attitude.

I feel like a kid in a divorce where Mom tells me Dad is on his way to pick me up. When he arrives, he has long hair, boobs, a dress (and very likely still his weiner).
I like how you mentioned boobs though.

I believe our issues were a culmination of bad coaching and mgmt mistakes. What i am seeing now is correct move/decisions one after another
Still need talent. 3* might get you to the middle of the pack but that’s about it. Can only hire so many kids dads before reality sets in. It’s an old team so hope this is the year they win 8 games maybe 9.

The long road back from our journey into CFB hell is over. Our journey back to prominence starts this year.
I hardly post anymore but those who remember me know i am not the overly sunshine pumper type. I am however feeling better about the program than I have in a long time

GBR

We do have a chance for a good year, but we have done nothing yet to get out of "CFB hell".

What is the word lately on that backup kicker? (don't know the name, but was recently mentioned by Rhule that Tristian was still injured or something.. is the new kid any good? Seems to me, all our kicker options for field goals kinda sucked last year. We are going to need a good field goal kicker to win some of those close games.. I think it can swing the season by at least 2 wins/or losses.

Last edited:
Vegas has us favored in our first 7 games of the season.

Any look at our recent history, and that seems ridiculously insane. However, the schedule does set up to be THAT easy.

Colorado should be telling. We need to be slapping that team around by at least 2 to 3 TDs in week 2. They are a team in complete disarray with an arrogant coach fighting with his local press.

I'll be a 7 year old on Christmas morning yet again in 13 days. Time for a Phoenix rebirth of our beloved Husker football program. No better time than now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT