ADVERTISEMENT

This game was a learning experience for the coaches

Husker2307

Jul 5, 2019
Lesson 1:
You can't inject kool-aid into this state's veins and expect them not to lose their f**king minds after the first bump in the road. I think we will see Scott try to be more even-keeled when talking about the team in the future. It's part of what made Osborne such a good fit here. The local media hype is to be expected every spring/fall camp. With the head coach heaping it on, expectations got pretty out of control. I think that, along with the fishbowl environment, has gotten to 2AM a bit.

Lesson 2 will be addressed at a later time when I have something meaningful to say.

Lesson 2: Keep the gas on, this isnt the NFL, should have been pass happy because that was working. then the qb power and draw work better, 5 wides was working well. should have been up 31-0 entering the 4th and they would have been the ones trying to get the clock to 0.

Lesson 3
a. make sure you have at least 2 capable field goal kickers at all times
b. if you don't, your gonna regret it
c. if you don't want to live a regretful life, see (a) above

Should have had plenty of those learning experiences last year. That 0-6 start can't be blamed on the previous staff. Frost needs to have his team ready to go to start the season.

Lesson 1:
You can't inject kool-aid into this state's veins and expect them not to lose their f**king minds after the first bump in the road. I think we will see Scott try to be more even-keeled when talking about the team in the future. It's part of what made Osborne such a good fit here. The local media hype is to be expected every spring/fall camp. With the head coach heaping it on, expectations got pretty out of control. I think that, along with the fishbowl environment, has gotten to 2AM a bit.

Lesson 2 will be addressed at a later time when I have something meaningful to say.
Amen. I wish he go w/the understated, humble approach rather than the condescending, get us now, we’re ready to roll approach

Reactions: Huskred01
Learning experience yes, but did Frost and his staff really learn anything and if they did, can they adjust their thinking and make proper corrections? Time will tell.

I’m “expecting” no less than the full throttle hyper fast all gas no brakes offense this week.
Anything less will leave me more frustrated than the Colorado game as it will tell me lessons are not being learned.
Bonus to this is the conditioning work it offers which is apparently still needed.

Lesson 1:

Fans hear what they want to hear. The media asks every single coach every single week questions that feed hype.
"Who is really standing out right now?"
"How was practice?"
"How do you compare to last year?"

Every coach has responded we have a LOT of work to do and we aren't anywhere near ready. Fans gloss over this as coach speak and then grasp onto the "Mills brings his lunch pail every day", or "Adrian is really talented", or "Robinson is explosive". They always say we have a lot of work to do its just fans don't believe it until they see it on the field. And if a fan comes on here is August and tries to pop the bubble people rip their ass. Middle aged men are some of the worst people on the planet. Especially sports fans on a message board. We are some of the most entitled-selfish people. Frost was universally the most talented and sought after coach that was available in 2017...he was the fricken coach of the year. He not only chose Nebraska over other offers but he loves Nebraska and its people. And he wants to do this the right way in its own time. Some of our fans are petulant little toddlers who have impulse control and problems with alcohol and treat this sport like their own personal handjob. It never was completely pleasant in the 90s...there were close games and frustrating situations even when we killed teams. Grow up and enjoy the competition and stop using amateur athletes to help you puff up your chest.

Last edited:
Fans hear what they want to hear. The media asks every single coach every single week questions that feed hype.
"How was practice?"

Every coach has responded we have a LOT of work to do and we aren't anywhere need ready. Fans gloss over this as coach speak and then grasp onto the "Mills brings his lunch pail every day", or "Adrian is really talented", or "Robinson is explosive". They always say we have a lot of work to do its just fans don't believe it until they see it on the field. And if a fan comes on here is August and tries to pop the bubble people rip their ass. Middle aged men are some of the worst people on the planet. Especially sports fans on a message board. We are some of the most entitled-selfish people. Frost was universally the most talented and sought after coach that was available in 2017...he was the fricken coach of the year. He not only chose Nebraska over other offers but he loves Nebraska and its people. And he wants to do this the right way in its own time. Some of our fans are petulant little toddlers who have impulse control and problems with alcohol and treat this sport like their own personal handjob. It's never was completely pleasant in the 90s...there were close games and frustrating situations even when we killed teams. Grow up and enjoy the competition and stop using amateur athletes to help you puff up your chest.
Great post! I agree 100%

I’m “expecting” no less than the full throttle hyper fast all gas no brakes offense this week.
Anything less will leave me more frustrated than the Colorado game as it will tell me lessons are not being learned.
Bonus to this is the conditioning work it offers which is apparently still needed.
I expect us to struggle and be really inconsistent but with a few more plays made by our wrs, maybe even one of them will jump over a corner and make a play for Adrian. The game will be low scoring and close as long as Nill is careful with the ball. It will be a quick game. I am a little afraid that Adrian will be careless with the ball. He has been holding onto the ball too long but this is because receivers aren't getting open and haven't shown at all that they will make a play on the ball. If he throws a couple picks early things could get really interesting. He absolutely DOES NOT trust anybody but Mo and JD, and Stoll. And Nill has a smart staff and knows they can bracket JD and pretty much shut us down. Our offense was pretty unimpressive against Colorado if you take out the unforced busts by the colorado secondary. At some point the wrs will click and Adrian will start going to them, they will make plays, we will speed up the pace, the running game will kick in, and the dominoes will fall. It likely won't be this week.

"How was practice?"

Every coach has responded we have a LOT of work to do and we aren't anywhere need ready. Fans gloss over this as coach speak and then grasp onto the "Mills brings his lunch pail every day", or "Adrian is really talented", or "Robinson is explosive". They always say we have a lot of work to do its just fans don't believe it until they see it on the field. And if a fan comes on here is August and tries to pop the bubble people rip their ass. Middle aged men are some of the worst people on the planet. Especially sports fans on a message board. We are some of the most entitled-selfish people. Frost was universally the most talented and sought after coach that was available in 2017...he was the fricken coach of the year. He not only chose Nebraska over other offers but he loves Nebraska and its people. And he wants to do this the right way in its own time. Some of our fans are petulant little toddlers who have impulse control and problems with alcohol and treat this sport like their own personal handjob. It's never was completely pleasant in the 90s...there were close games and frustrating situations even when we killed teams. Grow up and enjoy the competition and stop using amateur athletes to help you puff up your chest.
POTY, maybe decade. Well said

Reactions: headcard
"How was practice?"

Every coach has responded we have a LOT of work to do and we aren't anywhere near ready. Fans gloss over this as coach speak and then grasp onto the "Mills brings his lunch pail every day", or "Adrian is really talented", or "Robinson is explosive". They always say we have a lot of work to do its just fans don't believe it until they see it on the field. And if a fan comes on here is August and tries to pop the bubble people rip their ass. Middle aged men are some of the worst people on the planet. Especially sports fans on a message board. We are some of the most entitled-selfish people. Frost was universally the most talented and sought after coach that was available in 2017...he was the fricken coach of the year. He not only chose Nebraska over other offers but he loves Nebraska and its people. And he wants to do this the right way in its own time. Some of our fans are petulant little toddlers who have impulse control and problems with alcohol and treat this sport like their own personal handjob. It never was completely pleasant in the 90s...there were close games and frustrating situations even when we killed teams. Grow up and enjoy the competition and stop using amateur athletes to help you puff up your chest.

Frost consistently said that Martinez is the best QB he's ever coached... Said that Jurgens could become our next Rimington. I love that he backs the players up. But they weren't just generic comments, and he definitely could have eased up on some of it.

That being said, I absolutely agree with your point. I 100% believe SF was the best man for the job. I think he will need to get a 1-2 more ace recruiters before we take the next step, but there's no denying he is a damn good coach. And our fan base looks laughably pathetic right now with the "I've lost hope / Fire SF" type of posts.

The game was a learning experience for me too, I'll never have another pizza party after a loss like that!;)

Lesson 1:

This may be obvious to you readers, but I don't know what SF learned, but I hope he thinks he needs an alternate game plan for the second half of games knowing the opposition will make adjustments to counter what NU did in the first half so he is better prepared for play calling when he sees the adjustments.

I guess it comes down to experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT