ADVERTISEMENT

Things you are looking forward to in 2016...

Cdn Blackshirt

First Team All-Big Ten
Sep 30, 2009
Lots of negatives to dwell upon, but we also need to spend some time looking at what we're looking forward to in 2016.

For me:
1. I believe our secondary and LB's are about to make a big jump.
2. I believe our three interior OL hamstrung a lot of playcalls this year, but that some youth in the pipeline could turn that weakness into a strength next year.
3. I think there is an opportunity to see dramatically improved RB play next year as Newby gets another off-season of S&C and younger talent gets their off-the-field stuff cleaned up.
4. I'm hopeful that when HCMR reviews game film, he will push towards more of the offense we all want to see. He will use this job as the measuring stick of his coaching career and will not want to fail.

What are yours?

Agree with 1, 2 and 3. I am also extremely excited to see the QB competition that will start this spring. It should be fascinating to watch that play out.

I'm underwhelmed by Newby at the RB position. He seems to look the part, but damn, it seems like the guy rarely breaks a tackle. I think that's why we grew fond of Cross - not because he could break tackles, but at least we knew we could get 3-4 yards with a straight ahead run v. the likelihood of a 1 - 2 yard potentially negative play.

I don't know if Ozigbo, Wilbon or someone else will be that guy, but I think it's obvious that Nebraska is missing a game breaker at RB.

So in terms of looking forward to in 2016 - I'm especially interested to see who (if anyone at all) will step up to take on the bulk of the carries and ultimately be "THE GUY" at RB.

Also, especially interested to see if the defensive progress carries over to next year. That alone will help the team pick up more wins.

Lots of negatives to dwell upon, but we also need to spend some time looking at what we're looking forward to in 2016.

For me:
1. I believe our secondary and LB's are about to make a big jump.
2. I believe our three interior OL hamstrung a lot of playcalls this year, but that some youth in the pipeline could turn that weakness into a strength next year.
3. I think there is an opportunity to see dramatically improved RB play next year as Newby gets another off-season of S&C and younger talent gets their off-the-field stuff cleaned up.
4. I'm hopeful that when HCMR reviews game film, he will push towards more of the offense we all want to see. He will use this job as the measuring stick of his coaching career and will not want to fail.

What are yours?
O line will be HUGE to watch. Just had the conversation with someone else about who we expected to step in. Thurston at center. Gates and LT. Utter at one guard then who else? We could very possibly see a true freshman play a bunch next fall. Several good young players in the system that are going to have to grow up this spring. IMO Devine might make a jump at RB. D has played much better at the end of the year and I expect our defense to start off strong right out of the gate next fall. Looking forward to some young talent at DE. We HAVE to be more athletic there. Ideally McMullen moves inside and Neal and Freedom play most snaps IMO at DE. IMO, TA is going to have to be better to keep his job. POB is going to get a chance to unseat him and I don't expect the offense to change much at all. We just HAVE to have better QB play or it doesn't matter what the offense is.

The retirement of Harvey Pearlman.
It's mind boggling to me how football fans believe Perlman is somehow responsible for the product on the field. Yes, he's in charge of the University and as the leader, he's done an admirable job. Typical of fans to scream for someone to be fired when they are unhappy with the product on the field.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
It's mind boggling to me how football fans believe Perlman is somehow responsible for the product on the field. Yes, he's in charge of the University and as the leader, he's done an admirable job. Typical of fans to scream for someone to be fired when they are unhappy with the product on the field.

Even more mind boggling are those critical of Perlman who think he has somehow tried to sabotage the football program. The guy's responsibilities are a hell of a lot bigger than football, people!

Reactions: chicolby

Agree on that one. He provided us leadership guiding us into the BIG...............

One thing that I think has been discussed was shifting the responsibilities of the Athletic Department under the scope of the President.....

I'm looking forward to Husker fans finally FINALLY shutting the **** up about Harvey Perlman. As if the chancellor of a major research university has nothing better to do but micromanage the sucky football team.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT