ADVERTISEMENT

Things we can learn during spring practice

zamzman

Senior
Jul 1, 2004
We haven't had a depth chart from spring practice in years. Fans get the one spring game. To me, it's all about reading between the lines... What can we actually learn in spring practice?

Here are some things I'll look for.
1. How will the offensive line dominos fall out? First on the list: Matt Farniok - will he be spending more time at OG or RT? If he's at guard, who's getting snaps at OT? Gaylord? Benhart? Usually out of spring, we get enough news reports giving us the lineup on OL that we can figure it out. Austin will keep rotating the linemen around I'm sure, but at OL we should see the preferred rotation. That's about as close as we get to a depth chart.
2. Martinez health. I doubt we'll learn much about any sort of "quarterback race" from spring practice. We should find out if Martinez is healthy and ready to roll out for spring. I expect he'll have a green jersey in any case, but can he throw and run. We might get some hints about how the rest of the QB race is going to fall out (is Luke ahead of Vedral or is Smothers some kind of wonderkind).
3. Who's the current #3 WR? Robinson and Warner are two. Hopefully someone will step up as the 3rd. I do expect Manning to qualify (he just needs grades unlike Betts who needs grades and a test score), but assuming he makes it we still need more than Robinson/Warner/Manning. Houston or Nance or a walk-on? JD is a bonus, and besides we won't learn anything about that situation during the spring (unless it's bad news).
4. Which of the young LBs is going to step up? They can't all play. It's a big spring for them. This is their chance to make a move. It's really early in their career, but some could get passed by and buried on the depth chart. Is Henrich healthy? He was nearly a starter last year as a true freshman (definitely in the 2-deep). EMC? How about Reimers? I'd really like to know if Nebraska is willing to go with some of the younger guys in place of the experienced LBs, but that question has to wait until the season starts.
5. On the DL, who plays NG other than Daniels? I expect plenty of rotation in the DL, and it won't be determined who's starting until fall, but I'd like to know who can play inside.

So I have enough questions to keep me interested in spring practice.

You nailed most of the concerns, nice list.
I'll add this, at wr Brown. Do not sleep on this guy.
At NT, will Ty play there or outside or both?
Also, our juco, Green,is this his year? I think only because of depth, he didnt play more often last year, in shape or not, so he could redshirt and play this year.

They desperately need a couple guys to step up and claim something at WR. Perhaps an opportunity for the new WR coach/PGC to prove a thing or two as well. Showing an ability to get somebody ready to run routes and catch footballs in under 3 full seasons would be a step forward.

Reactions: bigredhunter
You nailed most of the concerns, nice list.
I'll add this, at wr Brown. Do not sleep on this guy.
At NT, will Ty play there or outside or both?
Also, our juco, Green,is this his year? I think only because of depth, he didnt play more often last year, in shape or not, so he could redshirt and play this year.

He arrived 10 days after Fall camp began, while not participating in any Summer conditioning or nutrition program.

They had no choice to redshirt him. He didn't know the defense until October and wasn't in game shape until November.

We’ll maybe get a look at the kicking competition also.
Who will return punts/kickoffs?

How does our OLB depth shake out?

I doubt the return game will be settled in the Spring unless a newcomer like Brown just absolutely commands that role

We haven't had a depth chart from spring practice in years. Fans get the one spring game. To me, it's all about reading between the lines... What can we actually learn in spring practice?

Here are some things I'll look for.
1. How will the offensive line dominos fall out? First on the list: Matt Farniok - will he be spending more time at OG or RT? If he's at guard, who's getting snaps at OT? Gaylord? Benhart? Usually out of spring, we get enough news reports giving us the lineup on OL that we can figure it out. Austin will keep rotating the linemen around I'm sure, but at OL we should see the preferred rotation. That's about as close as we get to a depth chart.
2. Martinez health. I doubt we'll learn much about any sort of "quarterback race" from spring practice. We should find out if Martinez is healthy and ready to roll out for spring. I expect he'll have a green jersey in any case, but can he throw and run. We might get some hints about how the rest of the QB race is going to fall out (is Luke ahead of Vedral or is Smothers some kind of wonderkind).
3. Who's the current #3 WR? Robinson and Warner are two. Hopefully someone will step up as the 3rd. I do expect Manning to qualify (he just needs grades unlike Betts who needs grades and a test score), but assuming he makes it we still need more than Robinson/Warner/Manning. Houston or Nance or a walk-on? JD is a bonus, and besides we won't learn anything about that situation during the spring (unless it's bad news).
4. Which of the young LBs is going to step up? They can't all play. It's a big spring for them. This is their chance to make a move. It's really early in their career, but some could get passed by and buried on the depth chart. Is Henrich healthy? He was nearly a starter last year as a true freshman (definitely in the 2-deep). EMC? How about Reimers? I'd really like to know if Nebraska is willing to go with some of the younger guys in place of the experienced LBs, but that question has to wait until the season starts.
5. On the DL, who plays NG other than Daniels? I expect plenty of rotation in the DL, and it won't be determined who's starting until fall, but I'd like to know who can play inside.

So I have enough questions to keep me interested in spring practice.
Agree. I am curious what happens at the QB spot. As we all know Martinez had surgery pretty well right after the season ended. However I question the seriousness of the injury considered he was injured during the Purdue game and continued to play 3 more games. Wonder if it was scope/ shoulder clean up type thing. If that is the case He should be close to 100%. If not 100% I would think this would be a prime opportunity for Mccaffrey to get 1st team reps and maybe become a front runner going into fall ball.

This thread has pointed out most of the problems I've been thinking of too.

Here are my thoughts:

DL: I too wonder about NT. I think we have plenty of DE options, but who other than Daniels becomes our next NT? Keem Green, sure, and that new guy Jordon Riley? That's three, plus you could always have Robinson do it if he had to (though he's kind of on the taller side for an NT). I think Wildeman, Stille, Robinson, and others will be fine for DE.

WR: This is my primary area of concern. Holy crap we got thin there in a hurry.

RB: Im not as worried here. We have Mills and Johnson, plus you throw in Robinson sometimes, and a mobile QB. Whether or not Thompkins can ever actually play a down, or if the new guys are ready to play in the Big 10 as Freshmen is a big question mark, but I'm not as concerned here.

I think we're basically good on our other positions, but one thing Frost taking over has taught me is, we lack quality depth. We can probably field a team this fall of mostly 4-star starters, but we basically need 1-2 more recruiting cycles before Nebraska is anything like it should be in terms of having quality depth to go 4 quarters. Again, this is a primary reason why Frost was great at UCF so quickly: UCF was kind of a meh program, but it did not lack for quality (read: under-rated Florida players) depth for him to work with. We need that here, and we won't be very good until we hit it.

He arrived 10 days after Fall camp began, while not participating in any Summer conditioning or nutrition program.

They had no choice to redshirt him. He didn't know the defense until October and wasn't in game shape until November.
Thanks for the specifics.
A good thing doing a rare thing, redshirting a juco, and having the depth to do it.
Great future move, and a safe one.

Agree. I am curious what happens at the QB spot. As we all know Martinez had surgery pretty well right after the season ended. However I question the seriousness of the injury considered he was injured during the Purdue game and continued to play 3 more games. Wonder if it was scope/ shoulder clean up type thing. If that is the case He should be close to 100%. If not 100% I would think this would be a prime opportunity for Mccaffrey to get 1st team reps and maybe become a front runner going into fall ball.
Don't sleep on Logan either. If he grasps the offense, he's a gamer.

Reactions: husker2612
Don't sleep on Logan either. If he grasps the offense, he's a gamer.
I wondering if they are going to play the long game with him and keep his RS no matter what. Obviously if he is the far superior talent you have to play him. I think if its close he RS. If Martinez legit wins the job. I hope the coaches find a way to use Mccaffrey a ton. The kid is uber talented and sounds like a great leader, which this team has lacked and I think does lack under Martinez. Lost count at how many times Frost as made some mention of Adrain needing to be more vocal and be more of a leader. Sounds like Mccaffrey is just a natural born leader who people want to rally around and follow.
This is just me half speculating half going off twitter rumblings. I wondering if JD wasn't happy with the QB situation last year and felt Mccaffrey would have served better at QB. Might be part of why he feels the need to step away and maybe move on.

I wondering if they are going to play the long game with him and keep his RS no matter what. Obviously if he is the far superior talent you have to play him. I think if its close he RS. If Martinez legit wins the job. I hope the coaches find a way to use Mccaffrey a ton. The kid is uber talented and sounds like a great leader, which this team has lacked and I think does lack under Martinez. Lost count at how many times Frost as made some mention of Adrain needing to be more vocal and be more of a leader. Sounds like Mccaffrey is just a natural born leader who people want to rally around and follow.
This is just me half speculating half going off twitter rumblings. I wondering if JD wasn't happy with the QB situation last year and felt Mccaffrey would have served better at QB. Might be part of why he feels the need to step away and maybe move on.
The real head buttings between Logan and Luke, likely,eventually, somethings going to give way.
But, it beats the hell outta, this is our guy, next up is walkon. Or pitcher.
Or, eventual LB in the nfl etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT