ADVERTISEMENT

Things are a changing...

Shoot, I don't care so much that it is Frost...I care that the bag of flour that was coaching here the last 3 years is gone. From the second he was hired all Husker fans were pissed.
Not all. A few of them still want Riley to be the coach. They show their stupidity every time they post here. They should be embarrassed but they’re not. They gladly keep showing how stupid they are.

Why would you take it to the extreme opposite direction? Why does Matt need to say anything at all? That’s the only question is being asked here. Not that he needs to defend the previous staff, but just don’t say anything. It’s really that simple.

You mean if MD is asked a question he should tap dance around it so the poor guy MR doesn't feel uncomfortable if, for some freak of nature, he might hear about it and get offended? I guess I don't understand why you seem to feel the need to be so protective.

MD has freedom of speech and is describing what he has seen and what he thinks is needed to correct it. How do you think he should word it so that people won't infer that there was something severely wrong in the program in the first place?

Denial doesn't solve problems. I think we all can freely infer that MR stunk as a coach, for which he was paid very well by the way, because we all saw the crap product he put out and because he failed to retain his job status. That would seem obvious.

Should MD deny that ever happened? He would have had to have watched those games blindfolded. He is not, by any stretch, overstating the obvious. If these things and this thread and those like it upset you so much, then why are you putting yourself through the pain of reading them?

Its not MD's fault that Riley is looking bad here. It is Riley's. It is tough for people to try to deny the obvious truth.

Correct
I did the research
To win the big in the Last 10 years the pass to run yards have averaged 1.2-1

Riley’s pass yards to run yards average was 2.5

No matter how much he told us he liked running the ball he was and always will be an nfl pass happy guy whose run game is unimaginative not fundamentally sound and he isn’t committed to it no matter how many times he said he was

His last year here was his offense
Right at his historical norm of 2.5 passing yards to run yards
And it barely won 4 games
Just like I thought it would

I don’t have faith in 63 year old career .500 coaches

I do however have faith in frost whose pass to run yards were right at 1.2-1 at Oregon and 1.4-1 at ucf right in the sweet spot to win the big 10

Scott’s a young committed hard working energetic winner
The other guy not so much- the more I found out about him the more I disliked him

So you're saying you disliked Riley as a person? Did you have a personal relationship with him, or are you just somebody judging him from afar?

We need to get to the root of your Riley-Rage so that you can recover as a Husker fan and be able to focus your energy on supporting HCSF & Co. instead of turning every post into "but Riley sucked".

I have a few theories, but I'd bet money that your anger comes from being a bitter Betty about Bo being let go and the fans turning on him (rightfully so) after he disparaged the fan base and did a ton of damage to the program.

Coach Mike Riley is gone (thank god) but at the same time, it will take time for Coach Frost to get his guys in. The work they have done so far has me more confident than anyone since T.O. retired that they are up for the challenge. At the same time, I dislike bagging on the former coaches as if everything they did was terrible. It didn't work, out, yes. But at the same time, they did do some things (like Friday night lights for example) that I really liked and thought were innovative.

The old staff is gone, the new one will excel or fail based on their own merits. Tough talk is cheap. I don't believe Nebraska needs to become a place where we trash the former coaches because it didn't work out while praising the new one before anything has been shown. The previous staff didn't work out, okay. Let's move on and let the new staff succeed or fail based on their own merits and not use the previous staff as a crutch for any failures.

On a side note, I don't mind Matt Davison calling anonymous players out. When you win a championship, you're given room to talk. He won a championship and was a key contributor towards winning that championship. He can talk because he's done it. If it were some random former player that hadn't won shit, then it's another thing. Win a ring and you can talk as much as you want as far as I'm concerned. The current players would be wise to listen to any former champion speak.

Reactions: REGPrimus
You mean if MD is asked a question he should tap dance around it so the poor guy MR doesn't feel uncomfortable if, for some freak of nature, he might hear about it and get offended? I guess I don't understand why you seem to feel the need to be so protective.

MD has freedom of speech and is describing what he has seen and what he thinks is needed to correct it. How do you think he should word it so that people won't infer that there was something severely wrong in the program in the first place?

Denial doesn't solve problems. I think we all can freely infer that MR stunk as a coach, for which he was paid very well by the way, because we all saw the crap product he put out and because he failed to retain his job status. That would seem obvious.

Should MD deny that ever happened? He would have had to have watched those games blindfolded. He is not, by any stretch, overstating the obvious. If these things and this thread and those like it upset you so much, then why are you putting yourself through the pain of reading them?

Its not MD's fault that Riley is looking bad here. It is Riley's. It is tough for people to try to deny the obvious truth.
Let me say again, for the third time in this thread, I can see both sides of this argument. I’m not too bent out of shape by MD’s comments...

And no one is blaming MD for how bad Riley was. To insinuate that is pretty silly, actually...

Bottom line is that if Riley would have been a better coach, MD wouldn’t have had any ammo to say what he said.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Let me say again, for the third time in this thread, I can see both sides of this argument. I’m not too bent out of shape by MD’s comments...

And no one is blaming MD for how bad Riley was. To insinuate that is pretty silly, actually...

Bottom line is that if Riley would have been a better coach, MD wouldn’t have had any ammo to say what he said.

I don't insinuate that. I am insinuating that MD's observations about the situation created by the former culture are real and MD should not be criticized just for pointing them out.

If people don't like that, then they should not read about them. And if the former coaches or any of their defenders don't like the heat, then they should have stayed out of the kitchen or not have made it so warm for themselves.

Last edited:
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside

Riley was a lousy coach. Period. He failed miserably here and deserves to be criticized for the culture of lax mediocrity he instilled in our players. He was payed millions and is now living nicely back in Corvalis a much richer man. I wish him well because he is a nice guy and nothing he did here was intentional or malicious. He meant well. But I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for him. Not one tiny bit. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

All that said... and as much as I agree with Redondo's views above (and I do), there is a big part of me that asks: WWOD? What would Osborne do? After all, his program seems to be the model we are now trying, in some measure, to bring back. And I don't think Osborne would openly criticize the previous coaching staff like this. Now, when he was AD and fired Callahan he was wearing a different hat and had to explain the firing. But as a coach? He did not speak as Davison is now. He let his team's performance do the talking.

I think we should now do the same. Riley is gone. Frost is coach. Stop stomping on the grave of the previous staff and move on.
Just win baby.
GBR

So you're saying you disliked Riley as a person? Did you have a personal relationship with him, or are you just somebody judging him from afar?

We need to get to the root of your Riley-Rage so that you can recover as a Husker fan and be able to focus your energy on supporting HCSF & Co. instead of turning every post into "but Riley sucked".

I have a few theories, but I'd bet money that your anger comes from being a bitter Betty about Bo being let go and the fans turning on him (rightfully so) after he disparaged the fan base and did a ton of damage to the program.

I’ve stated many times that I was very supportive of Pelini being let go
He created a toxic environment
While pelini was a much better coach than Riley- he needed to be let go

Pelini revealled a lot about himself in his zctions after the firing

One does not have to be a Pelini lover to dislike what Riley did to the Nebraska program

Husker.Wed is not saying anything at all about how soft or how poorly coached the team was. He’s referring to how Riley is being treated. One can see how Frost is changing things. Fans have skewers the previous coaching staff mercilessly. Does the current administration need to do the same thing? That’s what HW is talking about, not how soft and uninspired the players are.

Apples and oranges, my friend...
Can you point out a specific example of Riley being treated unfairly by the main posters on this board? Not some recycled newbie with 4 posts. Being openly negative of what Riley did here is not the same thing as "mercilessly" skewering him in an unfair way. Or so it seems to me. I am not trolling here Timsun. I like your posts even when I disagree with them. You try to be fair. So I am sincerely trying to understand what you are getting at here. That is why I want an example. I am not "calling you out", just seeking clarification.

Pretty sure I read that he was a last minute full in, as Moos’ flight was delayed... so it makes you wonder how prepared he was to share.

He certainly has the knowledge and the inside info... was he supposed to share the info in the fashion he presented it? Who knows?

I have no doubt that if anyone can get it turned around here, it is Frost. But just as we took a wait and see with previous coaches, I don’t have a problem with posters who are notnhitching their wagon to Frost just yet.

I believe all will get on board soon enough, given time.
I don't mind the ones that haven't hitched onto Frost yet either. I get a little disturbed by the ones who haven't unhitched from MR.

Reactions: timnsun
I’ve stated many times that I was very supportive of Pelini being let go
He created a toxic environment
While pelini was a much better coach than Riley- he needed to be let go

Pelini revealled a lot about himself in his zctions after the firing

One does not have to be a Pelini lover to dislike what Riley did to the Nebraska program

Ok. I challenge you to quit your crusade against the imaginary Riley lovers and come along with the rest of us who choose to focus on the bright future that the program has under HCSF.

GBR

Reactions: SOHusker11
Why would you take it to the extreme opposite direction? Why does Matt need to say anything at all? That’s the only question is being asked here. Not that he needs to defend the previous staff, but just don’t say anything. It’s really that simple.

Matt was at an event to "say something". Right now this topic pretty much represents the number 1 issue associated with Nebraska football and the lack of success in the last 3 years. And probably even longer. Why wouldn't you talk about it?

Reactions: davecisar
Can you point out a specific example of Riley being treated unfairly by the main posters on this board? Not some recycled newbie with 4 posts. Being openly negative of what Riley did here is not the same thing as "mercilessly" skewering him in an unfair way. Or so it seems to me. I am not trolling here Timsun. I like your posts even when I disagree with them. You try to be fair. So I am sincerely trying to understand what you are getting at here. That is why I want an example. I am not "calling you out", just seeking clarification.

What do you mean by "main posters"? Everybody except the new guys?

Ok. I challenge you to quit your crusade against the imaginary Riley lovers and come along with the rest of us who choose to focus on the bright future that the program has under HCSF.

GBR
I will post what I want
You post what you want- I’m not telling you what you should or shouldn’t think or say
Feel free to choose not to read my posts
The Riley remnant exists
Mostly passive aggressive now and changing the conversation to try and make their aggressive support of Riley seem less silly
Best of luck to you

Reactions: Huskercigar
It’s all good, Pennsy, we have been in the same place before, hoodwinked into believing Riley could be good... skewered was probably not the right word to use for general fan response to Riley. I stepped in when I shouldn’t have, to try and explain Husker.Wed.’s post, and should have let him do it. It got me drawn in more than I wanted to be.

It isn’t all fans who have skewered Riley and company. Much of it is deserved, I get that. He was not a good coach at all for us. Husker.wed. simply was suggesting that we turn the page on Riley. That’s all I was saying. Riley deserves the criticism. It’s as simple as that. Some of it over the top? I think so… But it’s hard to defend the product that Riley gave us. Right now, any defense II make is for the man, not the coach. This article was about the coach, not the man.

I will post what I want
You post what you want- I’m not telling you what you should or shouldn’t think or say
Feel free to choose not to read my posts
The Riley remnant exists
Mostly passive aggressive now and changing the conversation to try and make their aggressive support of Riley seem less silly
Best of luck to you

I wasn't telling you what the post, was just trying to get you onboard. No need for all of the negativity.

It’s all good, Pennsy, we have been in the same place before, hoodwinked into believing Riley could be good... skewered was probably not the right word to use for general fan response to Riley. I stepped in when I shouldn’t have, to try and explain Husker.Wed.’s post, and should have let him do it. It got me drawn in more than I wanted to be.

It isn’t all fans who have skewered Riley and company. Much of it is deserved, I get that. He was not a good coach at all for us. Husker.wed. simply was suggesting that we turn the page on Riley. That’s all I was saying. Riley deserves the criticism. It’s as simple as that. Some of it over the top? I think so… But it’s hard to defend the product that Riley gave us. Right now, any defense II make is for the man, not the coach. This article was about the coach, not the man.
Got it. Thanks.
And yeah... I was a koolaid drinker last year early on. And even after NIU I still held out some hope. But that withered fast!

Reactions: timnsun
Got it. Thanks.
And yeah... I was a koolaid drinker last year early on. And even after NIU I still held out some hope. But that withered fast!

I have to say that I didn't agree with the Riley hire - I actually wanted Gary Patterson or Kirby Smart but that wasn't tp be. After reading so much stuff on here about Riley, I will just say that while I tried to support him because he was the HC and I couldn't do anything about it, I had to confess that after NIU last year I found it painful to watch. Now, all I want to do is put the past behind us and look forward to some great physical football in the future. Dwelling on the past gets us no where and divides some really good loyal fans.

Also, to those that have gone to games and supported the program as season ticket holders, I really respect you and say thanks for all your loyalty.

Sorry for the rant but GBR!!

I have to say that I didn't agree with the Riley hire - I actually wanted Gary Patterson or Kirby Smart but that wasn't tp be. After reading so much stuff on here about Riley, I will just say that while I tried to support him because he was the HC and I couldn't do anything about it, I had to confess that after NIU last year I found it painful to watch. Now, all I want to do is put the past behind us and look forward to some great physical football in the future. Dwelling on the past gets us no where and divides some really good loyal fans.

Also, to those that have gone to games and supported the program as season ticket holders, I really respect you and say thanks for all your loyalty.

Sorry for the rant but GBR!!
Well said!

I don't insinuate that. I am insinuating that MD's observations about the situation created by the former culture are real and MD should not be criticized just for pointing them out.

If people don't like that, then they should not read about them. And if the former coaches or any of their defenders don't like the heat, then they should have stayed out of the kitchen or not have made it so warm for themselves.

Did you also criticize the idea that "Pelini toxins" were real during Riley's tenure?

I didn't like blaming the last staff then, and I don't like it now. Especially when some of the criticisms aren't really true, like Riley didn't emphasize recruiting character and the players didn't do any squats in the weight room. Frost's track record speaks for himself, let's put the past behind us.

Did you also criticize the idea that "Pelini toxins" were real during Riley's tenure?

I didn't like blaming the last staff then, and I don't like it now. Especially when some of the criticisms aren't really true, like Riley didn't emphasize recruiting character and the players didn't do any squats in the weight room. Frost's track record speaks for himself, let's put the past behind us.

I don't what pelini toxins are, so, I don't understand to what this is referring. You seem defensive. Blaming the last staff for what? If it is blaming them for what was seen during those games is not politically correct for some folks, then everyone should just put on rose colored glasses and watch Mr. Rogers' neighborhood during ball games.

To help you out, the following is a synopsis of my posts in this thread, because you may not have read all of them or you may have forgotten them.

I simply pointed out that MD was given an assignment, was answering questions, did not overstate some of the symptoms of dysfunction in the culture, was being criticized for it, had every right to answer the questions, and, if people didn't think that was right, should not put themselves through the pain of reading about it.

I did say that BP AND MR got to the point they were detracting from the brand and they weren't worth keeping. I said denial of a bad situation would not solve problems and, therefore, not result in a winning environment.

What was being referred to as character by MD, apparently, is different than what you are considering. It seems, imo, MD was referring to the character of willingness to work harder than everyone else, and, thus, becoming tougher and becoming "BETTER" players. I don't think he was limiting the scope of meaning to just those that don't commit crimes.
I have been fortunate to have played in a winning culture and know first hand that it takes character to pay that kind of price, as has MD. The product spoke for itself with or without assessing any blame. The previous staff was what it was, and got released for it.

Even with that, I don't remember reading anywhere that MD said anything about the current players not having character. He was, as I recollect, referring to recruiting for the future. I don't recollect that MD ever referred to the team not doing squats. I thought there was an indirect referrence of Duvall saying something like that, but I, also, read somewhere else that he didn't actually say that but it was misinterpreted, but who really knows except him?

I, also, pointed out that MD has every right to make the observations and form the opinions he has, and he has not, by any means, overstated the obvious. Anyone is free to make conclusions based on what they saw, including MD.

I don't know that I intentionally or personally slammed anyone's character as I was simply pointing out the obvious flaws in the product we have seen in the recent past. If you think so, I regret it.

Feel free to blame or not blame anyone you want. In fact, it seems like you want to blame me for something but, for what, I can't figure out.

Last edited:
I don't what pelini toxins are, so, I don't understand to what this is referring. You seem defensive. Blaming the last staff for what? If it is blaming them for what was seen during those games is not politically correct for some folks, then everyone should just put on rose colored glasses and watch Mr. Rogers' neighborhood during ball games.

To help you out, the following is a synopsis of my posts in this thread, because you may not have read all of them or you may have forgotten them.

I simply pointed out that MD was given an assignment, was answering questions, did not overstate some of the symptoms of dysfunction in the culture, was being criticized for it, had every right to answer the questions, and, if people didn't think that was right, should not put themselves through the pain of reading about it.

I did say that BP AND MR got to the point they were detracting from the brand and they weren't worth keeping. I said denial of a bad situation would not solve problems and, therefore, not result in a winning environment.

What was being referred to as character by MD, apparently, is different than what you are considering. It seems, imo, MD was referring to the character of willingness to work harder than everyone else, and, thus, becoming tougher and becoming "BETTER" players. I don't think he was limiting the scope of meaning to just those that don't commit crimes.
I have been fortunate to have played in a winning culture and know first hand that it takes character to pay that kind of price, as has MD. The product spoke for itself with or without assessing any blame. The previous staff was what it was, and got released for it.

Even with that, I don't remember reading anywhere that MD said anything about the current players not having character. He was, as I recollect, referring to recruiting for the future. I don't recollect that MD ever referred to the team not doing squats. I thought there was an indirect referrence of Duvall saying something like that, but I, also, read somewhere else that he didn't actually say that but it was misinterpreted, but who really knows except him?

I, also, pointed out that MD has every right to make the observations and formed the opinions he has, and he has not, by any means, overstated the obvious. Anyone is free to make conclusions based on what they saw, including MD.

I don't know that I intentionally or personally slammed anyone's character as I was simply pointing out the obvious flaws in the product we have seen in the recent past. If you think so, I regret it.

Feel free to blame or not blame anyone you want. In fact, it seems like you want to blame me for something but, for what, I can't figure out.

As I thought about it, if you mean by "pelini toxins" were the result of what he did going out the door and lecturing to the team at that high school, the answer is yes. That was despicable of him and I won't say on here what I really think about him for doing that as I would, no doubt, be banned.

Otherwise, I hope for the best for any and all programs in the department as I am an alumnus. I support all the coaches at NU until they are no longer coaches at my Alma Mater, but more importantly, I support the programs. If a coach is no longer part of a university program, what's the point other than good luck?

Last edited:
As I thought about it, if you mean by "pelini toxins" were the result of what he did going out the door and lecturing to the team at that high school, the answer is yes. That was despicable of him and I won't say on here what I really think about him for doing that as I would, no doubt, be banned.

Otherwise, I hope for the best for any and all programs in the department as I am an alumnus. I support all the coaches at NU until they are no longer coaches at my Alma Mater, but more importantly, I support the programs. If a coach is no longer part of a university program, what's the point other that good luck?

The Pelini toxins are well documented. In addition to what he did on his way out and how he acted while he was trying to get fired, his disdain for the fanbase & "us against the world/fans" mentality created a lot of division and discontent.

The Pelini toxins are well documented. In addition to what he did on his way out and how he acted while he was trying to get fired, his disdain for the fanbase & "us against the world/fans" mentality created a lot of division and discontent.

It is apparent that this is undeniable. He seemed to go out of his way to tarnish the brand.

Reactions: SC_'sker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT