ADVERTISEMENT

They beat Michigan...

Chuck003

Junior
Nov 6, 2016
And lost to an FCS school. Glad we didn't play NDS this year. Back to square one in 2019. You can see the handwriting on the wall how this is going to play out over the next 3 to 4 years.

Reactions: Agegoneby
Atleast Nebraska has talent coming in. Kirk cut ties with the true play makers that would take Iowa to the next level.
Appreciate the attempt to put a silver lining on things but too many on here don't see it that way...

It's been that kind of year for Iowa. It took until week 10 following a complete dismantling by PSU for Iowa to get their act together. They were a team completely void of an "Iowa identity" until then.

There will be a whole lot of "what could have been" with the fan base this year.

Wasted energy imho...

Reactions: kaz36
It's been that kind of year for Iowa. It took until week 10 following a complete dismantling by PSU for Iowa to get their act together. They were a team completely void of an "Iowa identity" until then.

There will be a whole lot of "what could have been" with the fan base this year.

Wasted energy imho...
As I recall they were trying to replace some O linemen that they lost to injuries when they got beat by NDSU. FWIW I think NDSU is the top cede in their playoff.

It'll be ok, once we start recruiting more talent like Iowa does....oh wait....

It'll be ok, once we start recruiting more talent like Iowa does....oh wait....
Iowa has a QB that is going to get drafted and maybe early. We do not. QB play was the big difference along with the ability to get his team in the right play at the LOS. We could have overcome our O and D line deficiencies IMO with better QB play on our part OR if we had knocked Betheard out early.

Iowa has a QB that is going to get drafted and maybe early. We do not. QB play was the big difference along with the ability to get his team in the right play at the LOS. We could have overcome our O and D line deficiencies IMO with better QB play on our part OR if we had knocked Betheard out early.
That doesn't disagree with my point.
The point I was making is that our team isn't prepared in practice the way their team is, including qb, and everyone keeps saying how our recruiting is going to save us but it doesn't matter if you can't coach it...we have more star talent than Iowa.
You act as though bet hard and Armstrong roll out of bed and play qb and coaching and offensive philosophy have nothing to do with it. Switch them and it's tommy who is getting looked at. beathard wasn't ranked high in recruiting.
)I disagree with your nfl evaluation of him but that is a moot point)

The point I was making is that our team isn't prepared in practice the way their team is, including qb, and everyone keeps saying how our recruiting is going to save us but it doesn't matter if you can't coach it...we have more star talent than Iowa.
You act as though bet hard and Armstrong roll out of bed and play qb and coaching and offensive philosophy have nothing to do with it. Switch them and it's tommy who is getting looked at. beathard wasn't ranked high in recruiting.
So you think TA would be an NFL QB with a different QB? Now that is funny. Betheard is light years more accurate and makes much better decisions than TA. Isn't even close. I don't care where he was ranked. TA was recruited to run a zone read option offense and couldn't use his best talent tonight. TA isn't accurate enough or able to make in game decisions in order to play at the next level. No way and it has little or nothing to do with their coaching.

So you think TA would be an NFL QB with a different QB? Now that is funny. Betheard is light years more accurate and makes much better decisions than TA. Isn't even close. I don't care where he was ranked. TA was recruited to run a zone read option offense and couldn't use his best talent tonight. TA isn't accurate enough or able to make in game decisions in order to play at the next level. No way and it has little or nothing to do with their coaching.
We arent arguing the same thing, i agree with your tommy assessment.
The scheme and styles of offense beathard and tommy play in are different, as is the coaching expectation. We consistently put tommy in situations in which he can fail. Iowa doesnt do that with beathard. And i dont think beathard is an NFL qb....what i meant was if you put them on the other team you wouldnt feel the same because tommy wouldnt be put in these situations near as much and cj would.
Im not trying to bash beathard nor ami trying to say tommy is great...bet to blame tom for our struggles or credit beathard with what happened today is missing the larger picture. Two entirely different offensive beliefs and styles.

We arent arguing the same thing, i agree with your tommy assessment.
The scheme and styles of offense beathard and tommy play in are different, as is the coaching expectation. We consistently put tommy in situations in which he can fail. Iowa doesnt do that with beathard. And i dont think beathard is an NFL qb....what i meant was if you put them on the other team you wouldnt feel the same because tommy wouldnt be put in these situations near as much and cj would.
Im not trying to bash beathard nor ami trying to say tommy is great...bet to blame tom for our struggles or credit beathard with what happened today is missing the larger picture. Two entirely different offensive beliefs and styles.
We didn't have any choice tonight but to put him in the situation we did. Once we couldn't sustain drives running the ball and got behind so much we had to pass. TA didn't help his cause by going deep when he had guys WIDE open on underneath routes a couple of times. We continued to try to run it in to the 3rd quarter but without TA's run threat we were forced to put it in the air. You have to admit that we've run the QB a bunch more this year even though an injury to him would have been devastating....as it was tonight. All that said IF he had hit those wide open guys behind the defense on at least 3 occasions tonight it would have been ballgame. We couldn't run it and TA couldn't pass it. He had open guys and he had plenty of time. He's just not consistently accurate in the passing game and he needed to be at least average tonight. He wasn't. Iowa ran the ball consistently including several huge run plays. We couldn't because we don't have much of a passing threat from our QB and had ZERO run threat from him tonight.

Reactions: newAD

Good post, though I think Beathard will get drafted. He was limited this year due to OL, WR and TE injuries.

I would guess no earlier than the 4th round. He does move pretty well and has a VERY strong arm.

Good post, though I think Beathard will get drafted. He was limited this year due to OL, WR and TE injuries.

I would guess no earlier than the 4th round. He does move pretty well and has a VERY strong arm.
I will be surprised if he doesn't go earlier than that. He makes good decisions to go with his arm and he's been playing in a pro-style offense already and has the ability to audible his team in to a good play.

Reactions: newAD
I will be surprised if he doesn't go earlier than that. He makes good decisions to go with his arm and he's been playing in a pro-style offense already and has the ability to audible his team in to a good play.

And I'm glad as hell he is moving on!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT