ADVERTISEMENT

The Joe Burrow lesson

jedimasterjed

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2013
Blair, Ne
It took Joe Burrows 5 years to become the player that he became. Adrian Martinez and most of the Nebraska players are just in year 1 or 2. Frost is building a program and a solid foundation. Becoming great does not happen in 2 years just ask Joe Burrow about that.

It took Joe Burrows 5 years to become the player that he became. Adrian Martinez and most of the Nebraska players are just in year 1 or 2. Frost is building a program and a solid foundation. Becoming great does not happen in 2 years just ask Joe Burrow about that.

We'll see how solid a foundation he is building when three years from now posters on this board are criticizing the 2022 offensive line. Which they will as we lose to Wisky and Iowa again.

We'll see how solid a foundation he is building when three years from now posters on this board are criticizing the 2022 offensive line. Which they will as we lose to Wisky and Iowa again.
We’re going to lose to Wiscy and Iowa in 2022?!?!
Dang it! Who else do we lose to that year?! And by chance do you have the lottery numbers for 2020-2022 that I could borrow? :Cool:

Difference is Martinez never got an offer from Urban, Burrow did..lets not just forget that little tidbit, cause it is kind of important.

Urban may be the best college qb evaluator in the modern era of college football, and he didnt offer AM.

HMMM

BTW AM has proven to be quite injury prone so far in his career. He has missed games every year the last three years going back to HS days.

When Joe was asked about how good he was when he first showed up to OSU his response was

“If you ask any of my teammates, they probably would have said my scholarship should have been taken away”

Reactions: WHCSC
Difference is Martinez never got an offer from Urban, Burrow did..lets not just forget that little tidbit, cause it is kind of important.

Urban may be the best college qb evaluator in the modern era of college football, and he didnt offer AM.

HMMM

BTW AM has proven to be quite injury prone so far in his career. He has missed games every year the last three years going back to HS days.
Pelini clearly made a mistake by not offering him. Frost had his man his number 1 choice in year one and for the 3rd consecutive year has recruited an outstanding quarterback

Pelini clearly made a mistake by not offering him. Frost had his man his number 1 choice in year one and for the 3rd consecutive year has recruited an outstanding quarterback

U do realize his #1 choice was a bit of a gamble cause he didnt even play his Sr yr of HS due to an injury, and our qb room was shaky at the time right?

There is no reason SF couldnt have also taken JB in addition to AM.

So SF made a mistake as well.

HMMM

So all that matters is if Urban Meyer offed? That is a pretty odd litmus test. There are plenty of great duel threat QB’s he didn’t offer and he has recruited plenty of bust, see Tate Martell. Pretending anyone knew Burrow would end up doing this as a three star recruit, buried on OSU’s bench is practicing some serious revisionist history.

The two are completely different situations, comparing them is pointless. Martinez walked into an empty QB room and was a virtual lock to start day one. Burrow joined a pretty loaded quarterback room and had to work just to get recognized. Then when he didn’t win the job he transferred to a place that was in dire need of a QB.
other than a connection to Nebraska, the two could not be more polar opposite in their journeys.

And I’m still trying to figure out what any of this has to do with Frost and him needing time to build a program.

It's not about development as much as supporting cast around him, LSU is light years ahead of Nebraska regarding overall team athletes. Put Burrow on Nebraska and do they get 5 or 6 wins this year?

Reactions: grayhairedfreak

HMMM

The week we played you, the local press asked Day about Martinez. Day liked him but I believe Martinez was hurt his senior year and did not play. They (Urban, Day) decided to pass on him and offered Mathew Baldwin who I believe is now at Baylor. If Fields had not transferred to OSU, I think Baldwin would have beat out Tate Martel for starting QB.

Reactions: timnsun
The week we played you, the local press asked Day about Martinez. Day liked him but I believe Martinez was hurt his senior year and did not play. They (Urban, Day) decided to pass on him and offered Mathew Baldwin who I believe is now at Baylor. If Fields had not transferred to OSU, I think Baldwin would have beat out Tate Martel for starting QB.
Thanks for the clarification. Some on this board (homie & Catch50) remain butthurt that we didn’t have a good season and want to blame Frost for everything, from the Cold War to climate change. Frost also rigged the presidential election for Trump, not the Russians.

Reactions: zrob
Thanks for the clarification. Some on this board (homie & Catch50) remain butthurt that we didn’t have a good season and want to blame Frost for everything, from the Cold War to climate change. Frost also rigged the presidential election for Trump, not the Russians.
jeezus

Scott Frost's offense is boring.

Scott Frost's offense is boring.
tenor.gif

Not really. My whole point on putting some blame on SF for not going after Burrow, is that the Frost Coalition is placing 100% of the blame game onto Pelini and trying to make it out that Frost should get ZERO blame for passing on Burrow. I am simply pointing out that Both Pelini and Frost the 2nd time around are both to blame for not scooping up Burrow when they had the chance.

I am not even really upset that we passed on Burrow, it is more of the fact that I am simply tired of all of the Frost Boot lickers that try and cast blame on everyone BUT Frost even when Frost screws up. I am just simply pointing out that Both Pelini AND Frost screwed up when it comes to the Burrow situation and it does not just 100% fall onto Pelini. (a coach that I did not like).

Reactions: Bruce1981
Not really. My whole point on putting some blame on SF for not going after Burrow, is that the Frost Coalition is placing 100% of the blame game onto Pelini and trying to make it out that Frost should get ZERO blame for passing on Burrow. I am simply pointing out that Both Pelini and Frost the 2nd time around are both to blame for not scooping up Burrow when they had the chance.

I am not even really upset that we passed on Burrow, it is more of the fact that I am simply tired of all of the Frost Boot lickers that try and cast blame on everyone BUT Frost even when Frost screws up. I am just simply pointing out that Both Pelini AND Frost screwed up when it comes to the Burrow situation and it does not just 100% fall onto Pelini. (a coach that I did not like).
Fair enough. No issues there. Swing and a miss for Frost as well. His at least was a little understandable, in that he had his QB in AM, but he easily could have brought in Joe and chose not to.

Only as bad as the last two seasons.
If that’s truly how you feel, judging by your own posts about the last two seasons, your posting history has been the worst this board has seen in decades.

Maybe you should have chosen your response a little more carefully...

Reactions: zrob
This is what concerns me the most. AM's skill level when healthy is top tier, and I don't doubt his heart. I think he played through more injuries this year than has been revealed. But he has had a hard time staying healthy, so it's a good thing Luke is on board and Smothers is on the way.

Fair enough. No issues there. Swing and a miss for Frost as well. His at least was a little understandable, in that he had his QB in AM, but he easily could have brought in Joe and chose not to.

Not understandable one bit when you attribute the Dennis Dodd comment to him. Frost has been mocked and ridiculed this season from everyone outside of Nebraska.

Not understandable one bit when you attribute the Dennis Dodd comment to him. Frost has been mocked and ridiculed this season from everyone outside of Nebraska.
Hmmm... thought you stopped reading my posts. Good to know if I quote you in the future you still read my posts.

Not excusing what he said, by the way, just so you know... What he said deserves to be called out. All I'm saying is he already had his QB in Adrian. From that standpoint, it's somewhat understandable why he didn't go after Burrow.

HMMM

Urban also had a lot of high praise for Adrian after his Freshman year. Ohio State probably only takes one QB most years, doesn’t mean he doesn’t think Adrian is worth an offer. Just means they had someone higher on their board. OSU doesn’t have to go down their board too often.

As good as he is, Urban Meyers QB evaluation ability is not infallible. He signed Tate Martell...how did that one work out?

Not excusing what he said, by the way, just so you know... What he said deserves to be called out. All I'm saying is he already had his QB in Adrian. From that standpoint, it's somewhat understandable why he didn't go after Burrow.

I mean not really. AM couldnt even be looked at as anything more than a gamble. He didnt even play his SR year um HS and was coming off of shoulder surgery. I mean tgat is a gamble if I have ever heard of one. There was still a question if he would even be back at full strength before the seasin started.

And when ur qb room was AM, Gebbia who was not even a fit for the system and Bunch...I dont think u can just say "yeah we all set"...

Reactions: timnsun
I mean not really. AM couldnt even be looked at as anything more than a gamble. He didnt even play his SR year um HS and was coming off of shoulder surgery. I mean tgat is a gamble if I have ever heard of one. There was still a question if he would even be back at full strength before the seasin started.

And when ur qb room was AM, Gebbia who was not even a fit for the system and Bunch...I dont think u can just say "yeah we all set"...
Hmmm, so SF can't assess qb talent. And AM never played in a AA game.

The gamble was counting on Gebbia to be here.
SF will be the first to tell everyone, and he has, we were in terrible shape when he got here, and has since said, it was worse than he originally thought.

Hmmm, so SF can't assess qb talent. And AM never played in a AA game.

The gamble was counting on Gebbia to be here.
SF will be the first to tell everyone, and he has, we were in terrible shape when he got here, and has since said, it was worse than he originally thought.

Never said SF couldnt assess talent. AM playing a few snaps in an all star game is not the same thing as missing an entire season due to injury.

I dont think u should be banking ur whole 1st yr as a coach on a true frosh coming off of a whole yr injury as the magic bullet or as the fix u need and thats it, especially w what we had in the qb room when JB was available to pursue.

Ur right gebbia was a gamble as well.

Nothing u are saying is helping to prove that SF shouldnt have offered or tried to get Burrow in the fold, it is only helping to show "why" he should have tried to get JB at NU.

If nothing else he would have brought more experience in both maturity and game action to our lacking in both qb room that SF had at the time. Well I mean plus the whole being able to read defenses that AM still cant do by the end of yr 2..lets not forget that part. SF assessed the talent between not recruiting JB and instead putting all his eggs in the AM basket. The point a lot of you re missing here is that Frost didnt have to only take one or the other, he could have taken both, especially how our qb room looked when JB was available to grab.

I am not sure why some of u think it was an "either or" scenario when it could have easily been both.

Reactions: Bruce1981
Never said SF couldnt assess talent. AM playing a few snaps in an all star game is not the same thing as missing an entire season due to injury.

I dont think u should be banking ur whole 1st yr as a coach on a true frosh coming off of a whole yr injury as the magic bullet or as the fix u need and thats it, especially w what we had in the qb room when JB was available to pursue.

Nothing u are saying is helping to prove that SF shouldnt have offered or tried to get Burrow in the fold, it is only helping to show "why" he should have tried to get JB at NU.

If nothing else he would have brought more experience in both maturity and game action to our lacking in both qb room that SF had at the time. Well I mean plus the whole being able to read defenses that AM still cant do by the end of yr 2..lets not forget that part. SF assessed the talent between not recruiting JB and instead putting all his eggs in the AM basket. The point a lot of you re missing here is that Frost didnt have to only take one or the other, he could have taken both, especially how our qb room looked when JB was available to grab.

I am not sure why some of u think it was an "either or" scenario when it could have easily been both.
My guess on the either or, he didn’t want to do anything that might run off AM. Right or wrong, that’s what I wonder...

Ok, so, were you fine when all we had was TA and Fyfe? This was worse than what SF set up going in, including Noah.
Oh,dont forget Noah. Then since this is the umteenth question on Burrow, he wouldnt have been sniffing a heisman had he come here. You'd rather see him struggle here?
Oh, then theres the fact SF sets his qb room, and has already been burned in the past with too many.
Oh, then you have to get around the fact you're stacking all these qbs on top each other.
Theres more reasons, but saying AM wasnt ready,then why'd under armor chose him? And, why'd he play? And, why'd he have to score in that game on the team that had trouble doing so?

I'm happy for Joe

If we wanted Joe, Bo should have pulled the trigger then.
Don’t disagree at all, I do see how it couldn’t have hurt bringing him in under Frost. I get that he already had his QB and Gebbia as well, so he felt good about the QB room, but I can’t disagree either with those who say we should have brought Burrow in. I was excited about that possibility when it was out there, but it never happened.

Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT