ADVERTISEMENT

The greatest coach.....

newAD

Head Coach
Oct 14, 2007
Omaha
In the history of D1 college football, is getting bit raced and embarrassed on national tv.

May this forever END the debate on this board, that college football has changed!

Some in this board have not got this yet. Stop comparing stats with eras!

Reactions: burkek
In the history of D1 college football, is getting bit raced and embarrassed on national tv.

May this forever END the debate on this board, that college football has changed!

Some in this board have not got this yet. Stop comparing stats with eras!

Debatable

I see Saban a lot like Mack Brown at Texas. Great CEO type coach. Able to rally the "boosters of substance" around the program. Able to build a great reputation with the media and fans. Able to sell ice to Eskimos on the recruiting front. Puts the pieces in place to challenge for a championship every year.

Does that make him a great coordinator, a great motivator, or a great in-game coach? Not necessarily. If you are talking about who is the greatest coach ever, it is hard to say because they are so different. Tom Osborne was just the nice-guy hayseed who couldn't win the big game until he could. Had Osborne gone another five years, who knows. Probably would have challenged for championships in 1999 and 2000 at least.

Saban came in with the best roster, Dabo had plenty to match. Both execute at a very high level so in that respect these two are equals. In regards to scheme though, Alabama could not match Clemson beyond the first quarter. Clemson played a much better game of chess and that was the difference. I think Kirky and crew were right when they talked about Sabans staff turnover coming in to play here.

I think Saban needs to upgrade his coaching staff. I don’t think much of OC Locksey. He was 3-31 as a head coach at New Mexico and as an interim head coach at Maryland. Having Butch Jones on your staff has to be a handicap as well. (I think he is following Locksey to Maryland). In addition several Bama assistant coaches are in their first year at the school. Is Nick hard to work for? So much turnover. Kiffin was sure glad to get out of Tuscaloosa. Does Alabama not pay well? On the other hand Dabo pays his assistants very well. Second only to LSU. None of Dabo’s coaches seem to want to want to leave.

Reactions: Husker Hambone
How many titles does Osborne win if he has the BSC or 4 team playoff to win it all? We were always sniffing the top 5.

Switzer would have killed it in a playoff format. Would have been playing in it nearly every year

How many titles does Osborne win if he has the BSC or 4 team playoff to win it all? We were always sniffing the top 5.

Switzer would have killed it in a playoff format. Would have been playing in it nearly every year

In 1994 Penn St would have had to play Miami Fla in the Rose or Orange maybe Fiesta and Nebraska would have had to play Colorado again..

In 97 Nebraska did play the 3rd ranked team but Michigan would had to play Florida St instead of playing 8th ranked Washington St..

Switzer would have been out of the playoffs in 74(probation) 76,79,81,82,83 and 88..

Dabo is a great coach. But Clemson really took off when Venables arrived and put together that wicked defense you saw last night.

The bowl game the year before Dabo was beaten 70-33 by West Virginia and that is when he realized he needed a big change...

Hoping Chins works out in Lincoln he needs more time,but if Frost can’t win big because of defense I hope he realizes he will have to make a change too..

The bowl game the year before Dabo was beaten 70-33 by West Virginia and that is when he realized he needed a big change...

Hoping Chins works out in Lincoln he needs more time,but if Frost can’t win big because of defense I hope he realizes he will have to make a change too..
There will be a lot of coaches analyzing this game and talking to Venables.... hopefully Coach Chinander is one of them

I liked Dabo post game interview. IF I can do this anyone can and I hope many get the chance

There will be a lot of coaches analyzing this game and talking to Venables.... hopefully Coach Chinander is one of them
Sure Brent would say something about Bama's pretty good Oline going against his insane front made it easier when you can only send 4 and get quick pressure.

I see Saban a lot like Mack Brown at Texas. Great CEO type coach. Able to rally the "boosters of substance" around the program. Able to build a great reputation with the media and fans. Able to sell ice to Eskimos on the recruiting front. Puts the pieces in place to challenge for a championship every year.

Does that make him a great coordinator, a great motivator, or a great in-game coach? Not necessarily. If you are talking about who is the greatest coach ever, it is hard to say because they are so different. Tom Osborne was just the nice-guy hayseed who couldn't win the big game until he could. Had Osborne gone another five years, who knows. Probably would have challenged for championships in 1999 and 2000 at least.
oh gawd...Saban had to replace nearly his entire coaching staff...just ask Frost how important continuity is in a staff and Saban literally had himself to carry over from 2017 to 2018. It is absolutely remarkable how smooth the season was considering so many new installs, new culture building, new offense, defense, and a ton of new young players. And they were still awesome until the end. That is Saban unifying the bunch. They got run by a very good team...an outcome that happens probably 1/100 times though...I think this invigorates him though and keeps at bama longer which is bad for the rest of CF...this wasn't like NU 2001 when a bad team was allowed in the MNC game...this was a dominant Alabama team that had a bad night and had to play catch up. Similar to the warriors losing in 2015....they just got mad and got better.

Saban to me is a potential tuerdling AS A PERSON.

As a coach, he is elite...

BEST EVER???Probably not...best NOW? Probably...coaching IS in large part recruiting.

Last night, he wasn't, though...

Reactions: dinglefritz
Saban to me is a potential tuerdling AS A PERSON.

As a coach, he is elite...

BEST EVER???Probably not...best NOW? Probably...coaching IS in large part recruiting.

Last night, he wasn't, though...
Saban seemed like a spectator last night, when something went wrong he looked around at his assistant coaches and appeared to say, why the **** did you do that? Seems he has moved into that CEO role nicely. Much different than Dabo

TO also had some awful luck. We could have easily won titles in '82, '83, and '93 off the top of my head. Those alone tie him with Saint Saban.

Yes, having the elite talent helps, but Alabama was equally talented. Venables planned and called a great game.
What did you think about how Bama seemed to abandon the run or at least minimize it while they were gashing Clemson on 1st and 2nd down with it in the first half. I couldn't believe they didn't stay more run heavy. A couple of times they ripped off several chunk runs for first downs then they decided they had to throw on 1st and 2nd and the wheels looked like they came off. I don't know if the defensive look was dictating that or what.

TO also had some awful luck. We could have easily won titles in '82, '83, and '93 off the top of my head. Those alone tie him with Saint Saban.
You forgot 81, turner was hurt and mark mauer had a bad throwing shoulder, against a Clemson team that was put on probation a year or so after that orange bowl

Reactions: TheNewNU
What did you think about how Bama seemed to abandon the run or at least minimize it while they were gashing Clemson on 1st and 2nd down with it in the first half. I couldn't believe they didn't stay more run heavy. A couple of times they ripped off several chunk runs for first downs then they decided they had to throw on 1st and 2nd and the wheels looked like they came off. I don't know if the defensive look was dictating that or what.

No doubt, in the first half they were playing great on offense outside of the 2 picks and settling for the FG after having 1st and goal. As dominate as the score looked at the end, Alabama was very much in that game up until that point.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

This is the key imo to whether Frost will be successful long term or not. He is the first coach we have had who his loyalties is to NU not some coach he brought with him like Cosgrove - or Pelini with his yes man crew. Now I think he will give guys a long leash but once it is clear a change is needed I trust him to make changes if needed

Always love the Saban CEO comments. He might seriously be the best DB coach in the world.

Dabo is a great coach. But Clemson really took off when Venables arrived and put together that wicked defense you saw last night.
If Venables isn't the best asst. coach in the country, he's certainly one of the top 2 or 3. I think we saw what happens to both extremes this year: Urban's problem was too many friends as assistants and missed the playoffs while Dabo basically relied on his and brought home the trophy.

How good were those Oklahoma and Nebraska teams?

Very Good..

Both were ranked in the Top 10 every year from 1970-1990, except for these years 1977, OU was down from 81-83, 1988,1989 and 1990..

Note: 1985 OU won the National title and Nebraska finished 11th after losing to Michigan in the Fiesta..

Reactions: oldjar07
Very Good..

Both were ranked in the Top 10 every year from 1970-1990, except for these years 1977, OU was down from 81-83, 1988,1989 and 1990..

Note: 1985 OU won the National title and Nebraska finished 11th after losing to Michigan in the Fiesta..
Yes exactly my point. We beat every other team on our schedule because we were a very good team in that time period, the same as OU.

Look what those teams did in bowls... Switzer faired much better than Tom. Take away the 90s and TO was flat out embarrassed in many bowls.

He wasn’t actually playing Howdy Dowdy and playing the 2 Florida schools either at their home studuim or their back yard, no one else in the country would have faired better than Osborne...

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT