ADVERTISEMENT

The First Husker You Idolized..

I was 8 years old and at the beginning of my Husker fandom. I remember liking IM Hipp too but Jarvis sparked the imagination with the "Marvelous Jarvis" tagline that soon christened him. I remember having a baseball liner with that phrase on it that I believe I got at the Sears store near the Southroads mall. It was probably that touchdown tho of his against the sooners when he pointed back towards the defender chasing him that sealed the deal.. Of course Jarvis wasn't my last husker hero but to my formative football mind he was the first.. who was yours?
Jeff Kinney

Still have that poster in my Husker room..
signed-1989-nebraska-football_1_fffce53e32c5126e05d9a884f8e36361.jpg

I was 8 years old and at the beginning of my Husker fandom. I remember liking IM Hipp too but Jarvis sparked the imagination with the "Marvelous Jarvis" tagline that soon christened him. I remember having a baseball liner with that phrase on it that I believe I got at the Sears store near the Southroads mall. It was probably that touchdown tho of his against the sooners when he pointed back towards the defender chasing him that sealed the deal.. Of course Jarvis wasn't my last husker hero but to my formative football mind he was the first.. who was yours?
Yep. IM Hipp and Redwine, because of their names, and Jeff Quinn, because I played a game of H-O-R-S-E with him on my aunt and uncle's hoop in Ord.

Reactions: cecilB
Choo Choo Charlie Winters
I was 10 years old and Johnny Rodgers is still the most exciting player to ever wear a Husker uniform.

I was 11 in 1965. Choo-Choo Charlie Winters didn't ever have great stats......but I loved his nick name.
How can you "not love" beating Wisconsin!
155_4925_3248_2532.jpg

Jeff Kinney. Started when he was QB for our High School when I was in grade school. Jeff spent a lot of time at our house. Remember a time I got sick and had to have some shots, Jeff and my brother had to chase me down, well they didn't catch me, that is when we knew Jeff would be a power back at NU account not real nimble.

Steve Taylor, Johnny Mitchell, Derek Brown, Calvin Jones, Mike Anderson and Mike Petko

I saw Mike Anderson bench 405 as an 18 year old kid. I was thirteen at the time and would go to the old college gym to work out.That got me going.

Reactions: jlh19801

Frosty Anderson

Reactions: Baxter48
T. Farley and Eric Strickland

Steve Taylor, Keith “Endzone” Jones, Ken Clark, Broderick Thomas, Kenny Walker, Neil Smith, Mike Croel. Basically the 1987 Huskers.

Honestly, when I read the title, that was pretty close to my immediate thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT