ADVERTISEMENT

The Dodgers get Yamamoto

I could be wrong but I thought with ohtani deferred payments it would not affect current cap (of which he counts 2 million this year)-nevertheless I hope they choke and my Rangers repeat. What about Bauer for the Rangers?

That is correct on the deferred salaries. I read that it was actually Otani's idea. He only gets $2 million for several years as he already gets something like $50 million from other things. There is so much money floating around for these guys, it seems like the money to play is extra spending money or inheritance for the kids.

This deferral of salaries will come back to haunt some of these teams if they are not careful. Who knows what the market is going to be like in 15-20 years, but what do I know. I just know that my team, the Red Sox were in on Yamamoto and fans are all over the front office for not spending enough in a large market area.

What gets me about all of this spending is how our society berates some CEO of a company for raking in millions but doesn't blink an eye when a celebrity or someone playing a game gets paid enormous amounts of money. It is ruining sports for me, I couldn't be pulled from a TV if there was a good NFL, MLB or College FB team on, not anymore. I haven't watched the NBA since MJ departed and used to watch playoff Hockey but miss that now too.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Unreal. They just signed Otani. Now Yamamoto. Must be going WAYYYYYYY over with the luxury tax. They're going to make sure they are contending. I hope they lose. HA!

Sources: Japanese star Yamamoto goes to Dodgers for 12 years, $325M
I've kind of quit on MLB baseball because the lack of a salary cap means a few teams can completely buy a team and come close to having an All-Star roster while a dozen others shed every good player they have once they hit free agency. The NFL did it right with a salary cap and is still benefitting from it.
On a segue note, why not give MLB Softball a try, played in the MLB stadiums on road days? Just set up a removable outfield wall. I bet that would get a lot more fan interest than most women's sports and you could institute it with a salary cap.
One of the big things MLB has that no other sport can compete with are its ballparks. Nobody goes to a football game just because of the stadium (certainly if they do it's for college games). Baseball fans do go to Wrigley, Fenway, Camden Yards, etc just for the experience of the ballpark. If you play MLB Softball in the MLB ballparks it will draw a lot of fan support.

I've been firmly in the camp of "you can't buy a world series title." There's just too many variables in a baseball season and winning a title requires an almost magic mixture of talent and luck but also just getting hot at the right time. However, the MFing Dodgers are doing their best to prove that axiom false. I'll be rooting against them.

Dodgers are blessed by that big Dodger Blue in the sky!!! Think Lasorda said that years ago when I was a kid.

Disgusting. Another unwatchable baseball season approaching, as a Cardinals fan. I hate our worthless front office.
This. Mo and Co. are so full of sh!t. Don’t worry, when Yamamoto and Ohtani are 40 years old and completely washed, Mo will sign them on a 2 year deal and take some victory laps. Arenado and Goldy should demand trades for the way we are taking a dump on their last few years of quality baseball. If there was ever a time to take some risks as an organization, now is that time, but nope, more of the same. But hey, Yadi and Descalso are on the staff and Lynn is back! #onbrand

Reactions: HuskAir
The Dodgers will make it up with media rights agreements and merchandizing, it's much larger than many understand.

Hell yes, but Nebraska is way more KC Royals than it will ever be LA Dodgers.
years back i went to dodger stadium to watch a doubleheader, the first game pitcher for the dodgers was kip gross (filling in for ailing starter) from my hometown scottsbluff,nebr. he won that game ,had to report back to the minors in arizona. one hour after game was driving back had to stop for gas,went in to pay upon seeing 2nd game being televised remarked to attendent that he had won the first game. attendant looks at him and says "sure anything you say". reported by the L.A. times

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT