ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Wilson crystal ball for Nebraska

Why? We have two 4 star QB's on the roster waiting in line..

So what?

Ohio State had around 43 quarterbacks capable of starting a couple years ago. It worked out OK for them if I recall. Who the hell wouldn’t want multiple talented QB s on the roster?

Nobody on this board has a clue whether or not POB and Gebbia can run SF’s offense. I think that they can but, like you, I have no idea. It’s quite probable that SF doesn’t even know until they get on the field.

Just because Pelini usually carried one capable starting QB per season doesn’t mean that has to continue.

So what?

Ohio State had around 43 quarterbacks capable of starting a couple years ago. It worked out OK for them if I recall. Who the hell wouldn’t want multiple talented QB s on the roster?

Nobody on this board has a clue whether or not POB and Gebbia can run SF’s offense. I think that they can but, like you, I have no idea.

Just because Pelini usually carried one capable starting QB per season doesn’t mean that has to continue.

My comments were sarcasm. I fully understand reasoning behind offers and wanting them on the roster. I just see a lot of bitching and moaning in the future when we're starting QB's who aren't the typical spread option QB's. I could be wrong, things could turn out very well, I just don't see Nebraska or Frost making square pegs fit in to round holes.

I see everyone is basically acknowledging Lee is going to be the #1 pick in the draft as they aren't even mentioning him for next year.

Another one in the league, way to go Riley.

I see everyone is basically acknowledging Lee is going to be the #1 pick in the draft as they aren't even mentioning him for next year.

Another one in the league, way to go Riley.
How far out on that limb do you really want to go? Those who thought he was a first rounder due to comments made by experts have walked back from that statement. Even his most ardent supporters...

But keep trolling...

Yes, Gebbia's high school ran a shotgun spread offense. But more like a Washington State spread offense rather than an Oregon offense - I don't think they ran read option. So the biggest question will be if Gebbia can learn to run the read option, and if he's durable enough to take a lot of hits running that offense.
Riley had some zone read plays in the play book this year, but never called it an option. It always ended up being a straight hand off, but it isn't a big leap at all for a reasonably smart kid to say, gee it looks like I can run for 5 yards I better keep it.

Reactions: mops65
Riley had some zone read plays in the play book this year, but never called it an option. It always ended up being a straight hand off, but it isn't a big leap at all for a reasonably smart kid to say, gee it looks like I can run for 5 yards I better keep it.

There is more to that offense than just a read option play. Draws, speed options, etc.

Could be wrong, but from what I've heard and what I saw in the Spring Game, Gebbia seems like he's the real deal. To do what he did with the 2nd and 3rd string guys was more impressive than what Lee and PO did IMO. I think he has enough mobility to be very effective in Frost's offense and has the "it" factor that you can't necessarily quantify.
To me, gebbia was the most impressive QB@spring game

To me, Gebbia was the most impressive QB@spring game
I thought Gebbia looked like the best QB as well - by far. Not only did he seem to make good decisions and have the throws, not only was he with the 2s and 3s moving at will on the 1s, but it was obvious he wanted to win the game and was pushing the other players to be better. I liked his attitude.

On the other hand, he had nothing to lose, he knew he was redshirting. POB was in a battle for the starting job and looked to be playing not to make mistakes, rather than winning the game. Besides, the team had already picked Lee to be the starter, and may not have played as hard for POB. AND - as we saw this fall, moving the ball at will on the ones was no big accomplishment.

POB is a big dude. He is listed at 6-4/230, but I have stood next to him at an airport and I would say more like 6-3. Steve Calhoun, the QB teacher in Orange County, CA says he runs a 4.7 40. I watched podcasts of most of his games his senior year. He kept on zone reads several times a game. You don't see those runs on his Hudl highlights because they show all his big passes. But he is a serviceable runner. Not Martinez or TA fast, but certainly big and tough enough to run 6-8 keepers/game in B1G play and get some yards. His high school offense was much closer to Frost's than Gebbia's. That is why I think people anointing Gebbia should think twice about POB and see what happens in the spring.

How far out on that limb do you really want to go? Those who thought he was a first rounder due to comments made by experts have walked back from that statement. Even his most ardent supporters...

But keep trolling...

I may beat that dead horse until it is fully decomposed and a strong Nebraska wind has blown the dust away. You mad bro?

Just going through semantics, so jump in when I'm wrong:

Callahan
: His first real recruiting class in '05 he landed the savior named Harrison Beck while some little heralded JUCO in Zac Taylor also filled out that same class. Thankfully Taylor could throw a forward pass after incumbent Dailey struggled through the '04 season.

Pelini: Cody Green was the supposed savior this time in his 2009 class. Somehow, an ATH guy named Martinez started for 4 years in his place. Arguably, the best QB he ever had was an unheralded 2* recruit from the previous regime named Joe Ganz.

Riley: In his first real class in '16, he landed POB while starting incumbent Armstrong for 2 years. 2nd class he landed Gebbia along with a little known transfer from Tulane, so who knows what will happen here, but the likelihood of a newbie coming in and starting at QB in the 2018 season that isn't currently on the roster doesn't seem to be all that likely.

People need to come to some kind of reality that Lee, POB, or Gebbia will almost certainly be our starter next year in a "Frost" offense and that it is highly unlikely that Frost and crew will land a meaningful QB in the next 2 months.
Do you not think that Adrian Martinez is meaningful?

I may beat that dead horse until it is fully decomposed and a strong Nebraska wind has blown the dust away. You mad bro?
Not mad, just pointing out no one thinks Lee is a first rounder anymore. But keep acting like there are people who still think that.

Not mad, just pointing out no one thinks Lee is a first rounder anymore. But keep acting like there are people who still think that.

People are already deciding which QB's should transfer, which ones should commit and which ones will play - and there hasn't even been a practice yet.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Hopefully we'll see Gebbia, Martinez and Wilson all on the roster next fall.

I’m dooowwnnnn. But I think it will be all the QBs we have now and with any luck we will as Martinez and Wilson. Then my HOPES is it will be Gebbia/Wilson (but wouldn’t be surprised if OBrein steps it up next year) with Martinez as the future when next years QB finishes out.

I would think we would take both

I would think we would be interested in both with one being a JC and other high school senior. IF we indeed do take both really would put pressure on our current QBs.
With 85 Scholarships available, 5 of them will not be taken by QB's. Wilson and Martinez fit the mold for what Frost like's as a QB, which would mean two of the 3 on the roster would need to move on.

Gebbia would seem to be the one to stay, with O'Brien and Lee on the outside looking in. Those would be Tough conversations for the coach and the players to have.

With 85 Scholarships available, 5 of them will not be taken by QB's. Wilson and Martinez fit the mold for what Frost like's as a QB, which would mean two of the 3 on the roster would need to move on.

Gebbia would seem to be the one to stay, with O'Brien and Lee on the outside looking in. Those would be Tough conversations for the coach and the players to have.
So you think 3 scholarship QBs is enough to carry? I disagree...

People are already deciding which QB's should transfer, which ones should commit and which ones will play - and there hasn't even been a practice yet.
Which has nothing to do with your assertion that people believe Lee will be drafted #1 overall. Again, once the season started and we saw what Lee was, no one was saying #1, let alone first rounder. Even his biggest supporters are saying he could get drafted somewhere in 2018, but no one is saying even that is a foregone conclusion. So keep making fun of nonexistent people I guess...

3 scholarship qb’s are definitely not enough. Minimum of 4 and with a change in offense having 5 initially is not a big deal, let the dust settle after spring ball.

Reactions: saluno22
This scenario is what I thought could happen.....as excited as we are for Frost....maybe commits will NOT be......guess we wait and see....hoped to start off with a bang not a pfffftttttt!

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I thought Gebbia looked like the best QB as well - by far. Not only did he seem to make good decisions and have the throws, not only was he with the 2s and 3s moving at will on the 1s, but it was obvious he wanted to win the game and was pushing the other players to be better. I liked his attitude.

On the other hand, he had nothing to lose, he knew he was redshirting. POB was in a battle for the starting job and looked to be playing not to make mistakes, rather than winning the game. Besides, the team had already picked Lee to be the starter, and may not have played as hard for POB. AND - as we saw this fall, moving the ball at will on the ones was no big accomplishment.

POB is a big dude. He is listed at 6-4/230, but I have stood next to him at an airport and I would say more like 6-3. Steve Calhoun, the QB teacher in Orange County, CA says he runs a 4.7 40. I watched podcasts of most of his games his senior year. He kept on zone reads several times a game. You don't see those runs on his Hudl highlights because they show all his big passes. But he is a serviceable runner. Not Martinez or TA fast, but certainly big and tough enough to run 6-8 keepers/game in B1G play and get some yards. His high school offense was much closer to Frost's than Gebbia's. That is why I think people anointing Gebbia should think twice about POB and see what happens in the spring.
People keep writing POB off. The kid showed me some pretty good mobility and moxy when he was forced in to action when Lee went down. I think he could be very effective in Frost's offense.

People keep writing POB off. The kid showed me some pretty good mobility and moxy when he was forced in to action when Lee went down. I think he could be very effective in Frost's offense.
Agreed, Frost may be a better fit for POB than Riley.

And which ones motivated their teammates better and which ones wanted it more and which ones the team gave up one and so much more. Man we have some people on here who can tell a whole lot if what is going in the heads of 22 people on the field.

POB is very much in this thing. Experience in a comparable O, big kid, mobile.

POB ran zone read in high school and rushed 143 times for 640 yards 13 TD's as a junior and 110 times for 626 yards 8 TD's as a senior.
Milton at UCF had 104 carries for 585 yards and 7 TD's this season.

Like the above posters said, POB can run the offense.

POB ran zone read in high school and rushed 143 times for 640 yards 13 TD's as a junior and 110 times for 626 yards 8 TD's as a senior.
Milton at UCF had 104 carries for 585 yards and 7 TD's this season.

Like the above posters said, POB can run the offense.

I'm not sure I'd trust statistical comparisons when one is the high school level and the other is FBS..

It's just me but I hope we land Martinez this weekend. Nothing against Wilson but I'm big on Gebbia being able to compete this spring for the starting job.

Sounds like Martinez had a great time and his mom got to see the place. I think its only a matter of time before he commits. Might be a day before or day of early signing period when he announces but I think he will be N.

Reactions: davecisar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT