ADVERTISEMENT

Targetting!!!

20161125_154449.jpg

Reactions: FtWorthhawkeye
Hard to argue with that picture.
From one angle, it looked like a hell of a hit, but not targeting, but that angle it was obvious.

Iowa playing dirty and the B1G letting them. They don't want us in the championship game

Iowa playing dirty and the B1G letting them. They don't want us in the championship game
Lol. I'll be honest I didn't notice targeting until I stopped by here. Was the runner being tackled and coming down or was he sitting still?

Hard to argue with that picture.
From one angle, it looked like a hell of a hit, but not targeting, but that angle it was obvious.
Led with crown of helmet. Definitely targeting when you lead with the crown of your helmet.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Hard to complain when Nebraska has failed to show up and is getting its ass kicked all over the field. Not prepared to play today on any front.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
What happened before that picture? Did the shoulder make contact first? Can't look at a picture and make an assumption without seeing the play in it's entirety. Complain about something else, that play had nothing to do with the B1G and a conspiracy theory.

What happened before that picture? Did the shoulder make contact first? Can't look at a picture and make an assumption without seeing the play in it's entirety. Complain about something else, that play had nothing to do with the B1G and a conspiracy theory.

Go watch the play again. No, the shoulder didn't make contact first otherwise you'd see movement in the shoulder pad. I stopped it at the point of [any] contact from that Iowa defender.

That play was targeting, regardless of anything else.

Is it a targeting call? Probably by rule-- only question from that pic is did he hit him with the crown of the helmet or his face mask? Or really was it his shoulder-- can't tell from still.

That being said, they really need to allow some interpretation of intent. He hits him nearly simultaneously as the other player from the other side. The first hit pushes him over and down. If the other guy doesn't hit him then the runner gets hit right in the chest.

We've had more than our fair share of targeting calls against us, peckerneck.

Of course, that's the point, it's a rough game and everyone who plays it signs up for it. You can't deny the fact all the hits we applauded as kids got us all amped up. Now, if a DB makes a tiny infraction like "hands to the face" it's an automatic first down. The game suffers for it. There are too many friggin flags. Might as well just put real flags on their waist, two hand touch and call it a day.

Waaaah, Waaaah, our QB got hit. Protecting their investments is all these penalties are doing anymore.

Of course, that's the point, it's a rough game and everyone who plays it signs up for it. You can't deny the fact all the hits we applauded as kids got us all amped up. Now, if a DB makes a tiny infraction like "hands to the face" it's an automatic first down. The game suffers for it. There are too many friggin flags. Might as well just put real flags on their waist, two hand touch and call it a day.

The game has changed, rules have changed, it doesn't make the targeting non-call accurate because of the changes. To insinuate anyone here is soft based on the discussion is ridiculous. It happened, and wasn't called.

The game has changed, rules have changed, it doesn't make the targeting non-call accurate because of the changes. To insinuate anyone here is soft based on the discussion is ridiculous. It happened, and wasn't called.

It's dumb because we celebrate the hard hitters of the past as titans of the game and then flip the script. I've had a couple concussions myself and they are brutal, but to sit here and pontificate on every little tiny possible infraction is such nonsense.

The game suffers for it because we only care if it's obvious. Who gives a shit about the lineman slamming heads into each other every play, it doesn't look bad so whatever. But F me if a shoulder runs into a ball carrier. It doesn't even have to be that. For example in this game, by letter of the law, Josey Jewell grabbing the dude and flinging him down is, "unnecessary roughness". But we all grew up with that just being a dude playing football.

Gah, I don't know... I'm really losing my enjoyment of watching this game because of all the ticky tack flags being thrown about all willy nilly. Basically because some billionaires (this includes the NCAA) protecting their investments.

I'm really not saying this as an Iowa fan, this has been my observation of College and NFL football in general, and what I think sucks the most, are the fans who have lauded the greats of the past, who would have never been great because of the ticky tack rules we watch today, pissing and moaning about "illegal contact."

Every damn one of them would have had to sit on some silly pedestal and apologize like children. Which is so f'ing stupid to me.

Reactions: Eternal Return
It's dumb because we celebrate the hard hitters of the past as titans of the game and then flip the script.

Society as a whole, that's where this country is now. What was acceptable in the 60-s-90's isn't now. Personally, with how the speed of the game is now, targeting is the one new rule I appreciate. Especially now that it's not only reviewed but the ruling can be overturned.

Society as a whole, that's where this country is now. What was acceptable in the 60-s-90's isn't now. Personally, with how the speed of the game is now, targeting is the one new rule I appreciate. Especially now that it's not only reviewed but the ruling can be overturned.

But they are all bigger faster stronger. I might be playing devils advocate here, but I feel like all of these flags every other damn play are more about protecting multi million dollar investment than actually being about player safety.

Reactions: FtWorthhawkeye
Targeting applies to a defenseless player. The guy was running the ball and in the process of being hit by several players. It happens all the time, it is NOT targeting when a guy tries to tackle a rb and happens to hit helmets with him. Any of you that think he ran up intending to hit helmet to helmet with him are kidding yourselves.

Targeting applies to a defenseless player. The guy was running the ball and in the process of being hit by several players. It happens all the time, it is NOT targeting when a guy tries to tackle a rb and happens to hit helmets with him. Any of you that think he ran up intending to hit helmet to helmet with him are kidding yourselves.

But how the hell do you even define targeting? We've all seen plays where a defender goes to make a hit, the offensive player ducks his head and subsequently gets hit in the head.

We didn't give a crap about this until they made a rule about it, then we make multiple forum posts about how dirty of a hit it was. It wasn't a freaking dirty hit until they made a rule about it. It's asinine.

It's nobodies fault he got rocked, dude ducked his head and got rocked. It's nobodies fault, it's the inevitability that is football.

I dunno, I'm pretty close to being done with this game. There's too many rules that give an advantage to the offense.

In the rules, note 2 is clear. It's alright, the refs missed it. Thankfully, Newby didn't get hurt.

This was my thought as well. hard to avoid an occasional H2H in those situations . it wouldmt have been a huge surprise though if they called it on the field but i would have been disappointed as that isnt how the rule is supposed to work

Gerry got the boot for doing what you described.

But they are all bigger faster stronger. I might be playing devils advocate here, but I feel like all of these flags every other damn play are more about protecting multi million dollar investment than actually being about player safety.

You know what's worse--the stupid replays. Yes, some are good and necessary. But how many damn times do I have to see a replay of a 6 yard catch that may or may not have been a catch because of a sliver of an inch of a shoe was in or out of bounds? It completely wrecks the flow of the game. I understand the goal line replays, big gain/loss plays, and possible turnover replays, but there are some sideline catch or foot placement replays that either gain or cost six yards in relatively inconsequential circumstances that drive me nuts. I'm willing to give the other team a bad call on a first down catch that gains four yards making it second and 6 rather than wasting ten minutes to see if it should be second and ten instead. Bah ... rant finished.

Notice in the photo and if you saw it live, he is leading with his shoulder and his head is up. What happened was when being tackled from behind it forced the runner to fall forward causing the crowns of their helmets to collide. That is purely incidental and unintentional and given the speed of the game unavoidable. That is why targeting wasn't called.

Gerry got the boot for doing what you described.
If you are referring to last years game, it wasn't close to the same. He hit a defenseless WR in the head with his head. A RB carrying the ball is NOT defenseless. Now if he ran up and speared him helmet to helmet, yes, that would be targeting, but that did not happen

If you are referring to last years game, it wasn't close to the same. He hit a defenseless WR in the head with his head. A RB carrying the ball is NOT defenseless. Now if he ran up and speared him helmet to helmet, yes, that would be targeting, but that did not happen
In the bowl game Gerry was ejected for targeting for hitting a running back while carrying the ball. The announcers even mentioned how it was a perfect form tackle and there was no way it should have been targeting. Here is a gif of the hit.
nebraskatarget.0.gif

In the bowl game Gerry was ejected for targeting for hitting a running back while carrying the ball. The announcers even mentioned how it was a perfect form tackle and there was no way it should have been targeting. Here is a gif of the hit.
nebraskatarget.0.gif
They said he hadn't "made a football move" on that, and i agree, a weak call. I was actually referring to Gerry getting ejected vs Iowa when he hit Tevaun Smith though

our back did good not to get hurt on that play, he got bent around every which way

This is what we have become now - victims??? Cool. Now we whine because Iowa beats up on our players. Never thought I would see that day - but here it is staring us in the face. This is football. It is a contact sport. This is going to happen occasionally, but I cannot imagine any players deliberately trying to target knowing the penalty that can be imposed. Do we think if this was called that Iowa would have reverted to playing patty cake like our hapless group of girls?

The Gerry call vs UCLA is nothing like what happened vs Iowa.

One on one with a receiver who's head was turned away from the defender is not the same as running back in a scrum running downfield.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT