ADVERTISEMENT

Stille and Freedom

Bigred511

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2018
Why haven't those 2 guys got better? They showed promise early in their career. Let me know if I am missing something or should it be the next man up at this point?

Reactions: Catch50
Why haven't those 2 guys got better? They showed promise early in their career. Let me know if I am missing something or should it be the next man up at this point?
Step slow and too inconsistent

Their job isn't necessarily to make plays, but to be stout and set the edges/gap assignment. Carrier would have been a good 3-4 DE. Stille isn't big enough, IMO. The only guy I see on our roster that has the natural size to excel at the position is Neal.

Bottom line. You want your lbs to be your leading tacklers. In bad defenses your cbs and safeties are. IF you are extremely fortunate your DL is leading tacklers.

IF your lbs are your leading tacklers, that means your dl are doing their jobs and the lbs are free to be animals. IF dl are leading tacklers they are studs

Last edited:
In this current Huskerboard climate, I am suspicious. I immediately notice your 36 career posts, and then notice you have "Bigred" in your name. If I were a mod, you would be in my crosshairs. Ben Stille and Freedom should not be questioned. I suspect Stille will be an Ozigbo type. He just keeps battling and trying to prove he belongs. Freedom is a guy that had to keep learning a new d and technique every year he was here. He was learning from day one and is not the kind of player I question heart. Go away troll.

Reactions: saluno22
And at least one OC if memory serves.
FA was recruited as a TE under the Pelini regime. Besides 4 DC's and 1 OC, he's also had 3 different HC's. That's just wild to think about!.Try to wrap your head around this, 3 HC's in 5 years! I've never seen that before..

Last edited:
FA was recruited as a TE under the Pelini regime. Besides 4 DC's and 1 OC, he's also had 3 different HC's. That's just wild to think about!.Try to wrap your head around this, 3 HC's in 5 years! I've never seen that before..

OU in the mid 90’s had some rather quick changes on the coaching front and they were a mess at that time. I think they had Gibbs, Blake and Schnellenberger in a 5 year period.

Gibbs took over in
OU in the mid 90’s had some rather quick changes on the coaching front and they were a mess at that time. I think they had Gibbs, Blake and Schnellenberger in a 5 year period.
Gibbs started in 88 and got the boot after the 92 season, then Smellyburger from 93-95, then Blake 96-99

You can also look at USC recently. After Carroll left in 2009, they had Kiffin from 2010 to 2013 when he was fired mid season. Orgeron took over in 2013 for 8 games, then left before the bowl game and Helton coached it. Sarkisian was hired in 2014 and terminated in 2015 when Helton took over.

Stille 1st year ever, as in ever as a D lineman, and he's contributing a lot. Hopefully he makes big leap next year like Suh did his jr. year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Freedom IMO is not athletic enough to be a difference maker at DE. He's a solid player but teams tend to run at him and I haven't noticed them needing to double team him....

Their job isn't necessarily to make plays, but to be stout and set the edges/gap assignment. Carrier would have been a good 3-4 DE. Stille isn't big enough, IMO. The only guy I see on our roster that has the natural size to excel at the position is Neal.

People keep saying this but Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, and Notre dame DL keep making a lot of sacks/ plays while we just expect our Dl to play patty cake.

People keep saying this but Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, and Notre dame DL keep making a lot of sacks/ plays while we just expect our Dl to play patty cake.
Clemson's and Bama's D line talent is insane. Not a fair comparison. Michigan had the number 1 overall D line recruit a couple of years ago and a couple of other NFL studs to go with it. Notre Dame has also recruited well. Our D line "plays patty cake" because we're not at that level talent wise yet.

He reminds me a bit of Adam Carriker during his sophomore year. Carriker (like Suh) didn’t really start making a big difference until his junior year. I expect Stille to continue to improve.

the Carriker comparison is pretty good. He's another rangy, athletic guy who added a lot of weight and strength and moved down to the line.

For now, he's active and fairly quick, but we're just seeing the start of what he can be. I like that he's up to 290 and still lean, and he has the kind of frame that can handle more good weight. Another year will be good for him. People need to remember he was around 235 when he got here.

And you think Stille and Freedom are the same quality eh? You can complain about "patty cake" all you want, but when you don't have the players to make those plays, all the wishing in the world isn't going to make it come true. Our DL is nowhere near the talent of any of the programs you mentioned.

-Bama and Clemson have 4 and 5 star talent everywhere. The 3-4 doesn't require a DLine to make plays but when you have unstoppable talent, they will find a way to get in the backfield.

-Michigan runs a 4-3 so their DLine has to make sacks/plays to be effective.

-I don't watch Notre Dame enough to know what scheme they currently run or what their DLine looks like right now.

-The Husker DLine will do well if they aren't being pushed off the ball, they can eat up blocks so our Linebackers can make plays, and they occasionally get in the backfield and disrupt a play on their own.

Jesuuse,
It’s our first year man. Did you not read the other posts? 3 head coaches, 4 different position coaches, what do you expect??Alabama type results this year???

Reactions: jeans15
Jesuuse,
It’s our first year man. Did you not read the other posts? 3 head coaches, 4 different position coaches, what do you expect??Alabama type results this year???

You're missing my point, people keep saying our scheme is to play patty cake with our 3 DL and they don't need to make plays, I'm saying they should be able to. Granted, our talent is not there but the goal and intent should be for them to make plays and not just play patty cake with OL.

Last edited:
Jesuuse,

Four head coaches... We had Barney for a game as head coach. Strangely enough he did a better job as HC than MR and probably the last few years of Pelini. Went head to Head with USC and almost got 'em.

Four head coaches... We had Barney for a game as head coach. Strangely enough he did a better job as HC than MR and probably the last few years of Pelini. Went head to Head with USC and almost got 'em.
USC has been in rebuild just like us, not a real accomplishment had we beaten them that bowl game...But yes good ol Barney has them playing okay, defense still gave up a lot of points..

Reactions: dochay
USC has been in rebuild just like us, not a real accomplishment had we beaten them that bowl game...But yes good ol Barney has them playing okay, defense still gave up a lot of points..

Agree it wasn't the USC of old but they played a pretty solid game.

Reactions: keilwitzg

if only beck had given the ball to our best player on 3rd and 4th and 2.

Reactions: keilwitzg
Both of them got pushed around vs Ohio State. Killed us on a few runs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT