ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Pederson

kaz36

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 2, 2005
What about hiring this guy named Steve Pederson? He is a Nebraska guy, has worked here before with the football team. He knows our traditions and he would be willing to keep all them going here and probably welcome back all former players. I hear hes looking for a job. What does everyone think?
:D

If that is our only other option, I will change my mind on Trev....:Cool:

What about hiring this guy named Steve Pederson? He is a Nebraska guy, has worked here before with the football team. He knows our traditions and he would be willing to keep all them going here and probably welcome back all former players. I hear hes looking for a job. What does everyone think?
Plus he worked for Tom Osborne, and Pope Tom endorsed him.

I won't get into whether Frankie should have been fired or not. But it was the WAY that it all went down that seems to have caused the Great Schism in the Husker fan base.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I won't get into whether Frankie should have been fired or not. But it was the WAY that it all went down that seems to have caused the Great Schism in the Husker fan base.
Yep.

Good old Smiling Pete (I was told not to call him that on RSS) and his original clown show with Harvey Perlman as his sidekick started this whole mess. Remember SP shooting his mouth off with boosters about firing Frank before he actually did? And then sensitive Harvey blasting the papers when they printed it?

All I want to know is... does Scott Frost support him? If so.... You HAVE to do this. In cases like this I ask WWSFD?

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
A man can live a long life and meet thousands of people without having the overwhelming urge to punch somebody.
Until that man meets Steve Pederson.

Will Rogers once said, “I never met a man I didn’t like.” He never met SP. If he had, he might of said something like this.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Yea- and he can hire another spare coach that can recruit 4 and 5 star wide receivers and QB's too!

A man can live a long life and meet thousands of people without having the overwhelming urge to punch somebody.
Until that man meets Steve Pederson.
Here's the problem with SP. Tom Osborne worked with him for multiple years and liked him well enough to endorse his hire. I have a couple of friends who knew him during his time at NU and both thought and still think he's a really good guy. I know, there's somebody on here who had a friend who supposedly worked with him during his very early time at NU and didn't like him. He comes off as a slick schmoozer and frankly I don't think you get to be an AD without being able to be a slick schmoozer. The fact is that the football program fell apart during his tenure and he didn't handle the fall out from canning Frank well at all. From what I've been told, the guy still loves Nebraska and still loves the Huskers. IF Callahan had won a MNC, SP would be a beloved legend despite his public personality. He had some good things rolling at the athletic department until he decided to shake up the football coaching. Frank's next to last season brought lots of heat from boosters to can Frank. (The same clowns that wanted to keep Bo). I don't think SP wanted to do it until he thought he had a slam dunk hire on board so he waited a year and it all blew up.

Steve Pederson destroyed Nebraska Football. Not really a laughing matter. Sorry but it has never recovered from his stupidity.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Steve Pederson destroyed Nebraska Football. Not really a laughing matter. Sorry but it has never recovered from his stupidity.
I think NU football was headed for major problems with or without Steve Pederson. All you had to do was look at our recruiting and roster to know that. Bo might have stopped the bleeding for one season as a DC against crappy competition, but his unwillingness to recruit was going to doom us there anyway. Tom could have fixed it immediately with a better hire. The talent was there when Bo took over.

I think NU football was headed for major problems with or without Steve Pederson. All you had to do was look at our recruiting and roster to know that. Bo might have stopped the bleeding for one season as a DC against crappy competition, but his unwillingness to recruit was going to doom us there anyway. Tom could have fixed it immediately with a better hire. The talent was there when Bo took over.

I disagree. We had a system suited well for our region. We were still Nebraska, and had just come off of a 10-3 season. The firing of a coach who had won a big 12 championship in 99 and played for a NC in 2001, made little sense to anyone who wasn't a self absorbed Husker Football dilusionist.

While I understand that we had slipped and that recruiting had fallen off, I believe things were on the mend.

I was completely against the firing and dismantling of the Nebraska tradition, but even I couldn't have foreseen how far we would drop. Today's football program is a shadow of what it was in 03.

No.
Steve ruined it.

This whole lack of recruiting thing for Frank is way overblown. Dude brought in top 10 classes in '00 and '01. He had a horrendous year in 2002. Much of that was because the assistants got old, it was a long season, and the staff didn't get it done. While the '03 class was on Frank to some degree, the Regents and later Pederson bear some responsibility. The reality was that many thought he was a dead man walking. Everyone figured the first order of business for a new AD that was going to come on board in December of '02 was to can Frank. (If we go 6-6 and are getting a new AD this December and no decision has been made on Mike, I'm guessing some of our recruits may be looking.)

Very good points on this thread. With the slight drop off in the early 2000's many of us still had expectations of the mid to late 90's success....I know I was spoiled to think so. In retrospect.....Solich should have been given more time to succeed after he made the multiple staff changes to try and improve and bring in some new assistants.....his last season....9-2 before the bowl game win?

Here's the problem with SP. Tom Osborne worked with him for multiple years and liked him well enough to endorse his hire. I have a couple of friends who knew him during his time at NU and both thought and still think he's a really good guy. I know, there's somebody on here who had a friend who supposedly worked with him during his very early time at NU and didn't like him. He comes off as a slick schmoozer and frankly I don't think you get to be an AD without being able to be a slick schmoozer. The fact is that the football program fell apart during his tenure and he didn't handle the fall out from canning Frank well at all. From what I've been told, the guy still loves Nebraska and still loves the Huskers. IF Callahan had won a MNC, SP would be a beloved legend despite his public personality. He had some good things rolling at the athletic department until he decided to shake up the football coaching. Frank's next to last season brought lots of heat from boosters to can Frank. (The same clowns that wanted to keep Bo). I don't think SP wanted to do it until he thought he had a slam dunk hire on board so he waited a year and it all blew up.

Pretty good post dingle....except stating that SP did not want to fire Frank. They did not have a great relationship. Stevie P wanted Frank gone all most as soon as he got here.

Very good points on this thread. With the slight drop off in the early 2000's many of us still had expectations of the mid to late 90's success....I know I was spoiled to think so. In retrospect.....Solich should have been given more time to succeed after he made the multiple staff changes to try and improve and bring in some new assistants.....his last season....9-2 before the bowl game win?
Actually 9-3.

We had two 20 point losses to KSU and TU. We also lost to Missouri but had the lead in the 4th quarter. What's almost funny is that team became ranked after their first game (over then #24 OSU) and stayed ranked every week throughout the season. The team ended up #22.

I disagree. We had a system suited well for our region. We were still Nebraska, and had just come off of a 10-3 season. The firing of a coach who had won a big 12 championship in 99 and played for a NC in 2001, made little sense to anyone who wasn't a self absorbed Husker Football dilusionist.

While I understand that we had slipped and that recruiting had fallen off, I believe things were on the mend.

I was completely against the firing and dismantling of the Nebraska tradition, but even I couldn't have foreseen how far we would drop. Today's football program is a shadow of what it was in 03.

Extremely well stated sir. it's all been downhill since firing Frank. Thanks a million Pedeyshine!

WTF? Frank couldn't recruit to save his a((. You thought Pelini was bad? Solich was coming off TO's regime and the talent he was bringing in was pathetic.

Hiring Cally was the problem, and the search process involved. Pederson had his head up his own a**. It's been a series of bad decision making at all levels since then, limping along with 9 win seasons and blow-outs as the norm.

a16eqxKlo_480w_v1.jpg

WTF? Frank couldn't recruit to save his a((. You thought Pelini was bad? Solich was coming off TO's regime and the talent he was bringing in was pathetic.

Hiring Cally was the problem, and the search process involved. Pederson had his head up his own a**. It's been a series of bad decision making at all levels since then, limping along with 9 win seasons and blow-outs as the norm.

a16eqxKlo_480w_v1.jpg

Adam Carriker RE 6/6 255 WA
Isaiah Fluellen WR 6/1 175
Brandon Greeson DT 6/3 325 NC
Matt Herian TE 6/4 215 NE
David Horne IB 6/1 190 NE
Mark LeFlore WR 5/11 175 NE
Jermaine Leslie OG 6/2 300 TX
Kurt Mann C 6/4 263 NE
Grant Miller FB 6/1 215 MA
Jay Moore RE 6/5 255 NE
Ross Pilkington SE 6/1 195 CO
Cory Timm OT 6/5 295 NE
Dane Todd FB 5/11 225 NE
Fabian Washington CB 6/1 175 FL
Demorrio Williams WILL 6/1 215 TX

Nebraska's recruiting class of 2002 had 3 NFL players, and one of the best TE's in the country before he was injured. This was a small class but ranked well. The 2003 class was looking very solid before Frank was ousted.

Nebraska was still recruiting itself, and frank had made the changes to continue to move forward. Im not buying any argument that we Frank couldn't recruit. I think his staff had grown tired and had lost interest. That's why they were asked to retire and move on.

a16eqxKlo_480w_v1.jpg
Someone needs a history lesson.

Actually 9-3.

We had two 20 point losses to KSU and TU. We also lost to Missouri but had the lead in the 4th quarter. What's almost funny is that team became ranked after their first game (over then #24 OSU) and stayed ranked every week throughout the season. The team ended up #22.
His last 2 classes depending on what service you use were right around 40. We had Joe Dailey and MIke Stuntz for QBs with none in the works in recruiting. We had Corey Ross and nothing else at RB. Our O line severely lacked talent and there was nothing in the wings to help that so don't give me the "system" BS. The only way we got by before that was by riding Eric Crouch. We had a terrible offensive outlook no matter who the coach was and Frank wasn't IMO going to be able to recruit what he needed quickly enough to avoid a string of 6 loss or worse seasons. His next season would have been better than Callahan's first year no doubt but beyond that I doubt he was going to succeed. We'll never know. I wish SP had given him another year. SP is human. He made mistakes. I just don't like people demonizing SP like he was the only thing wrong with our football program because he wasn't. There were internal problems on Frank's staff more so than Frank himself that were going to doom him without major changes.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Adam Carriker RE 6/6 255 WA
Isaiah Fluellen WR 6/1 175
Brandon Greeson DT 6/3 325 NC
Matt Herian TE 6/4 215 NE
David Horne IB 6/1 190 NE
Mark LeFlore WR 5/11 175 NE
Jermaine Leslie OG 6/2 300 TX
Kurt Mann C 6/4 263 NE
Grant Miller FB 6/1 215 MA
Jay Moore RE 6/5 255 NE
Ross Pilkington SE 6/1 195 CO
Cory Timm OT 6/5 295 NE
Dane Todd FB 5/11 225 NE
Fabian Washington CB 6/1 175 FL
Demorrio Williams WILL 6/1 215 TX

Nebraska's recruiting class of 2002 had 3 NFL players, and one of the best TE's in the country before he was injured. This was a small class but ranked well. The 2003 class was looking very solid before Frank was ousted.

Nebraska was still recruiting itself, and frank had made the changes to continue to move forward. Im not buying any argument that we Frank couldn't recruit. I think his staff had grown tired and had lost interest. That's why they were asked to retire and move on.

You list 7 Nebraska players #don'tevenneedtogetinmycar #100mileradius
#lazya*(recruiting

His last 2 classes depending on what service you use were right around 40. We had Joe Dailey and MIke Stuntz for QBs with none in the works in recruiting. We had Corey Ross and nothing else at RB. Our O line severely lacked talent and there was nothing in the wings to help that so don't give me the "system" BS. The only way we got by before that was by riding Eric Crouch. We had a terrible offensive outlook no matter who the coach was and Frank wasn't IMO going to be able to recruit what he needed quickly enough to avoid a string of 6 loss or worse seasons. His next season would have been better than Callahan's first year no doubt but beyond that I doubt he was going to succeed. We'll never know. I wish SP had given him another year. SP is human. He made mistakes. I just don't like people demonizing SP like he was the only thing wrong with our football program because he wasn't. There were internal problems on Frank's staff more so than Frank himself that were going to doom him without major changes.

Bingo. Top to bottom, our talent level had slipped, and quite frankly, we have never gotten back to anything resembling TO's days from the standpoint of a quality roster on both sides of the ball that could compete for National Titles. Not close. Bo's D he inherited from Cally was one side, that's about it. GBR

You list 7 Nebraska players #don'tevenneedtogetinmycar #100mileradius
#lazya*(recruiting

Every one of those players were high quality recruits from Nebraska. When Nebraska actually had high quality recruits. So you are going to call Alabama, Miami, Clemson, USC etc... Lazy for taking in state recruits? Surrounding state recruits? Your argument is ludicrous.

Pederson is a pompous, self-serving, excuse-making a** and one of the first of many bad decision makers leading Nebraska football to it's current state. No excuses.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...pederson-now-has-ruined-two-football-programs

Every one of those players were high quality recruits from Nebraska. When Nebraska actually had high quality recruits. So you are going to call Alabama, Miami, Clemson, USC etc... Lazy for taking in state recruits? Surrounding state recruits? Your argument is ludicrous.

Look at the 2004 roster. Not about one class, one group in Nebraska, but a trend. Nebraska football was headed for mediocrity regardless, and that was on Frank and his inability to bring in talent, measured by an entire roster.

So now Bama and Miami 4-5 star talent is being compared to one outlier Nebraska class? Gimme a break

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT