ADVERTISEMENT

Stephon Wynn in Portal

agree it makes little sense from the outside looking in

but we never know what's going on behind closed doors or in players' personal lives

'tis what it is
Definitely, if its something on a personal level then I totally understand. But I just have a feeling it's more of a "If I'm going to play in the league I need to go play at this school" sort of scenario. :confused:

This one smells to me like a deal where somebody dangled a NIL check. Even if he didn’t start, he was going to get starter number of game reps. Maybe he didn’t like his role in the 3-3-5?
Every part of that is infuriating, either scenario. Especially the latter, Wynn brother you're not good enough to be picky about the scheme you're playing in. Sorry

Reactions: drubendall
Highly doubt that.
Why? He wasnt recruited by this staff... he repped like everyone through spring ball.. whos to say the new staff didnt decide he didnt have what it takes? I certainly havent seen anything from him in the limited time he played in games last year that shows me he has the motor we need on the dline to play? I dont watch practice or am around him on the daily to say one way or another. I will say I trust the coaches have plans and am sure they wont roll into fall comfortable with what we currently have. Sean C said that some of these kids that put their names in the portal may have a chance to come back. Some dont.. we will see

agree it makes little sense from the outside looking in

but we never know what's going on behind closed doors or in players' personal lives

'tis what it is
I would say Wynn was number four behind Nash, Ty and Jeudy. And I think the staff likes Tagola. Buckley is also a big kid, but is he talented enough to be in a rotation against B1G opponents?

Reactions: king_kong_
How many scholarships left to reach 85? That’s one topic that hasn’t been brought up enough with the departures. They have to cut some loose even if they don’t necessarily want to.

Interesting. Given the choice would you rather cut Wynn - Henrich - or Gifford

For the record - Wynn wasn’t encouraged to move on
I’d have to say Henrich out of those three. It’s unfortunate because starter or not he would have played hundreds of snaps this season on the DL.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Why? He wasnt recruited by this staff... he repped like everyone through spring ball.. whos to say the new staff didnt decide he didnt have what it takes? I certainly havent seen anything from him in the limited time he played in games last year that shows me he has the motor we need on the dline to play? I dont watch practice or am around him on the daily to say one way or another. I will say I trust the coaches have plans and am sure they wont roll into fall comfortable with what we currently have. Sean C said that some of these kids that put their names in the portal may have a chance to come back. Some dont.. we will see
He looked good in the spring scrimmage. There’s no way in hell that they told a DT with his size, experience and athleticism to take a hike. Especially given how short on numbers we are for interior D linemen.

This one is bizarre. I would love to know what his plan is. Transfer to a mid tier DI program that has NO ONE at the nose so you never leave the field?? Kids like this are so confusing to me...You couldn't get on the field at your first school, you transfer, you couldn't beat out a walk-on on the depth chart last year and now your slated to finally get starter level reps...and now you want to transfer again?! It's like what exactly are you looking for bud?
I'll tell you. He has an albatross in his repertoire. It won't be solved at the next school. He was at Alabama because he was a talent. He will be at a third school because he lacks ambition.

I'll tell you. He has an albatross in his repertoire. It won't be solved at the next school. He was at Alabama because he was a talent. He will be at a third school because he lacks ambition.
Yup, and then when he doesn't get invited to the combine he'll look around with his hands in the air wondering who's fault it was.

Yup, and then when he doesn't get invited to the combine he'll look around with his hands in the air wondering who's fault it was.
I imagine he thinks he’s not getting drafted so he might as well see if there’s somebody out there with more NILmoney than NU. I suspect he had offers before he entered the portal.

Last edited:
I imagine he thinks he’s not getting drafted so he might as well see if there’s somebody out there with more NILmoney than NU. I suspect he had offers before he entered the portal.
Wouldn’t Rhule fix that and find NIL funds?

Wouldn’t Rhule fix that and find NIL funds?
The school and coaches can't be involved in NIL I think. It has to be independent of the school. I thought I read we couldn't sign a recruit bc we ran out of NIL. NU's NIL is garbage, we probably somebody not named Matt Davidson in charge of NIL.

Reactions: king_kong_
This , he even made the comment this spring on how much harder and more work was expected with this new staff , so honestly I don’t find this a surprise at all.

This , he even made the comment this spring on how much harder and more work was expected with this new staff , so honestly I don’t find this a surprise at all.
Too bad for him. If he had learned to embrace the grind, he would be a multimillionaire.

I was watching a video about Coach Knighton last night. He had only two offers out of high school, worked his tail off and got drafted by the Jaguars and parlayed that into an eight year NFL career. He was determined to make the most out of that opportunity.

Not sure if he is a grad transfer, I imagine he is but this is the way to do it now

Incoming freshman NIL
Transfer NIL
Grad Transfer NIL

I think you have to put a carrot on a string for kids that come in as Freshman and stay for 4/5 years, as long as you played a certain number of snaps. I don't have a clue what that number would be, but you should get NIL deal, a chance to earn a diploma, and an offer to stay on for a 5th year and get a graduate degree for free.

There has to be some loyalty commitment to Nebraska. Sarkasian at Texas is kicking players out the door if they even sniff at leaving.

All N or see ya'!!!

There has to be more to this than we know. Remember those individual meeting the coaches are having, oh to be a fly on the wall in that one.
It's simple, he wanted a guaranteed number of plays. Rhule did the right thing and made no promises.

Wynn had a decent NIL deal and a scholarship and got beat out by a walk-on. He’s a JAG. But of course Wynn thinks he’s still going to the NFL so good luck with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT