ADVERTISEMENT

Stephon Wynn's MONSTER Season

x35goahs

Walk On
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2005
The cynic in me keeps track of some of these kids that transfer for seemingly terrible reasons. Wynn was a perfect example of this. It made no sense for this kid to transfer. He uprooted his whole life to go to his 3rd program in 6 years to record 3 tackles and 6 asst tackles and a career best 0.5 sacks. Meanwhile he was set to be a legit contributor for us this year after having the best statistical season of his career in 22'. If I was a coach I would use this this kid as an example of "maybe you need to just accept that you're a two deep reserve type player and not a starter." You can't convince me that this kid's development wasn't hindered by the fact that he was trying to program hop his way into being a productive starter. Such a waist.

The cynic in me keeps track of some of these kids that transfer for seemingly terrible reasons. Wynn was a perfect example of this. It made no sense for this kid to transfer. He uprooted his whole life to go to his 3rd program in 6 years to record 3 tackles and 6 asst tackles and a career best 0.5 sacks. Meanwhile he was set to be a legit contributor for us this year after having the best statistical season of his career in 22'. If I was a coach I would use this this kid as an example of "maybe you need to just accept that you're a two deep reserve type player and not a starter." You can't convince me that this kid's development wasn't hindered by the fact that he was trying to program hop his way into being a productive starter. Such a waist.
Maybe he knew he wouldn't get a shot at the NFL, but got paid by Ole Miss?

If that's the case, was it a bad move by his part?

PS - I agree with what you're saying in terms of "be careful of transferring".

Maybe he knew he wouldn't get a shot at the NFL, but got paid by Ole Miss?

If that's the case, was it a bad move by his part?

PS - I agree with what you're saying in terms of "be careful of transferring".
If it was a money thing then maybe but I can't imagine they gave him a ton of money. Could be wrong.

Reactions: Verm007 and HuskerO
I actually ran across this yesterday when looking into Ole Miss's transfers. This goes with my theory that alot of the shuffling around is just that, shuffling.

He might have wanted to be down south too, closer to home. And maybe he knew Nash was going to take the majority of the NT snaps in 2023.

Least talked about side-effect of the portal is players never develop. There’s a reason most winning teams consist of upperclassmen, most 18 year olds are not ready mentally or physically to compete at the D1 level. Sadly, most of them waste their eligibility chasing a starting role they are not prepared to play.

Such a waist.
giphy.webp

Least talked about side-effect of the portal is players never develop. There’s a reason most winning teams consist of upperclassmen, most 18 year olds are not ready mentally or physically to compete at the D1 level. Sadly, most of them waste their eligibility chasing a starting role they are not prepared to play.

Reason 4,997 why we need sensible regulations on NIL and the transfer portal. It’s human nature to chase the next best thing, especially for young people. I mean, most of us would take a higher paying job that we are wholly unprepared and unqualified for if we were given the opportunity. That may or may not work out for us, but we also have the rest of our professional career to recover from poor decisions. These kids have about a 5-7 year window to get the development and guidance necessary to be successful D1 starter or have a shot at the NFL. By the time your about 23-25 years old the window is shut and you pretty much have 0.0% chance of becoming a successful D1 athlete or professional athlete.

I don’t think there’s a perfect way to do this, but I don’t think letting 18-20 year olds run this thing is the right direction. I frankly don’t care if you think, or you actually are the reason these schools, coaches and media conglomerates make all that money. You are temporary commodities, you have an expiration date and it’s about 3-5 years. (Only 2 if you’re really good) So I just don’t think we can just let the wants and demands of 18 year olds drive this. We put legal regulations on people under 25 across the “free market”. So it won’t be in anyway unprecedented to put more universal (state by state) regulations on NIL and the transfer portal.

Was he hurt in 2022? If not, he was only valued enough to play in six of the games on an awful 4-8 team. Sounds like it was time to leave NU and at least be a member of a good team. And of course NIL was probably a factor.

There are probably a lot better examples of kids making an obvious mistake by transferring. 😀

Reason 4,997 why we need sensible regulations on NIL and the transfer portal. It’s human nature to chase the next best thing, especially for young people. I mean, most of us would take a higher paying job that we are wholly unprepared and unqualified for if we were given the opportunity. That may or may not work out for us, but we also have the rest of our professional career to recover from poor decisions. These kids have about a 5-7 year window to get the development and guidance necessary to be successful D1 starter or have a shot at the NFL. By the time your about 23-25 years old the window is shut and you pretty much have 0.0% chance of becoming a successful D1 athlete or professional athlete.

I don’t think there’s a perfect way to do this, but I don’t think letting 18-20 year olds run this thing is the right direction. I frankly don’t care if you think, or you actually are the reason these schools, coaches and media conglomerates make all that money. You are temporary commodities, you have an expiration date and it’s about 3-5 years. (Only 2 if you’re really good) So I just don’t think we can just let the wants and demands of 18 year olds drive this. We put legal regulations on people under 25 across the “free market”. So it won’t be in anyway unprecedented to put more universal (state by state) regulations on NIL and the transfer portal.
I look at everything you wrote and think the current landscape is exactly what's needed. It's great these young adults can do what they think is best for them rather than some faceless bureaucracy seemingly deciding who gets what arbitrarily while programs that are willing to break the rules reap all the rewards of doing so.

Transparency has arrived and it's great. Doesn't mean everything is equal but it never was and never will be.

Reactions: jmliehr and F--IT
I look at everything you wrote and think the current landscape is exactly what's needed. It's great these young adults can do what they think is best for them rather than some faceless bureaucracy seemingly deciding who gets what arbitrarily while programs that are willing to break the rules reap all the rewards of doing so.

Transparency has arrived and it's great. Doesn't mean everything is equal but it never was and never will be.
Those that can manage their rosters best will be rewarded. Programs that create conditions that foster player retention will be rewarded. Teams that recruit talented kids who value loyalty and integrity will be rewarded.

The problem with that thinking is at some point in the future a school like NU will be left out in the cold. Even a school like Bama and their pedigree for football won’t be able to keep up with other schools mega donors.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
The problem with that thinking is at some point in the future a school like NU will be left out in the cold. Even a school like Bama and their pedigree for football won’t be able to keep up with other schools mega donors.
This is naive. It's the same thing people said about facilities.

Was he hurt in 2022? If not, he was only valued enough to play in six of the games on an awful 4-8 team. Sounds like it was time to leave NU and at least be a member of a good team. And of course NIL was probably a factor.

There are probably a lot better examples of kids making an obvious mistake by transferring. 😀
Respectfully disagree, if you look at his career stats his best production was last year and it’s not even close. He left to have the exact same role on another team in a different scheme and his production directly reflected that.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yup, you gotta watch those program hopping dudes that spend more time in the portal. Oh wait, Nebraska just picked up a WR and Nebraska will be his third program. Never mind.

RollingLaugh

It's easy to cherry pick the most obvious one. But he isn't the standard.
A comprehensive "how did they do" segment would be a great project for one of the local media outlets to take on. I would like to see them go back 10 years. Most of the transfers that have left NU have gone down, WAY down, in class and have never been heard from again.

A comprehensive "how did they do" segment would be a great project for one of the local media outlets to take on. I would like to see them go back 10 years. Most of the transfers that have left NU have gone down, WAY down, in class and have never been heard from again.
Someone should write a book about Nebraska football, "How to Make it to Division II".

• Haha
Reactions: Huskers123456
Such odd obsession and behavior by people in this thread. Kids go to lower levels and still don’t have an impact, which probably means little to no impact if they’ve stayed, but people are sad that they left?

Reactions: Laner2
I'd say if you transfer out it may be due to team conditions.
If you are on your third school, its a player issue.
I know saying this just as we got a portal commitment that is described as exactly that but the case in point hasn't played a lot due to injury. There are some guys tendons etc that just don't take the beating despite being very capable athletes.

All I've got to say is that NU had better not ever take the names off the jerseys.

"You can't tell the players without a program" is the future I guess.

Bro why post this crap? Were you involved in conversations with Wynn and the new coaches a year ago? Maybe he didn’t like Lincoln, didn’t like the weather, who knows.

Yup, you gotta watch those program hopping dudes that spend more time in the portal. Oh wait, Nebraska just picked up a WR and Nebraska will be his third program. Never mind.

RollingLaugh
It's terrible and an abomination to the sport... Unless we benefit.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Bro why post this crap? Were you involved in conversations with Wynn and the new coaches a year ago? Maybe he didn’t like Lincoln, didn’t like the weather, who knows.
I assume based on your response that you’ve never played nor coached the sport, I have. I posted this for the exact reason I stated, this kid is a perfect example how the portal can hinder someone’s development. A kid trying to program hop his way to production.

I assume based on your response that you’ve never played nor coached the sport, I have. I posted this for the exact reason I stated, this kid is a perfect example how the portal can hinder someone’s development. A kid trying to program hop his way to production.
You phrased it in a way that looks to degrade and talk sh!t about him. Also you assume he would have seen the field here, unless you are Terrance Knighton posting on here you are just making scenarios up.

You phrased it in a way that looks to degrade and talk sh!t about him. Also you assume he would have seen the field here, unless you are Terrance Knighton posting on here you are just making scenarios up.
Depends on your definition of talking s*%t. If stating the truth hurts his/your feelings and therefore I’m talking s*%t …then I guess I was talking s*%t. I’m calling a spade a spade, the kid absolutely would have made the two deep at nose behind Nash, but that wasn’t enough so he left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT