ADVERTISEMENT

Stats for the season

uberism1111

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 28, 2019
Passing:

- We averaged 1 passing TD a game. That right there is the biggest issue for the offense going into the off-season. That has to get fixed. Has to or there is no bowl game next year. No way around this.

Rushing:

- we should finish the season 3rd in total rushing yards for the season in the Big Ten.. That isn't bad. The bad is when you get to the passing numbers.

- we return 5 out of our 6 top rushers for the season. Talent gets added too. We don't lose anything in the rushing category that can't be replaced.

Total offense:

- It will depend on the games tomorrow, but for as bad as our depth was at RB and WR this year, and starting a brand new player at the center that never played OL in his life before this year, we are 5th in the conference for yards per game. That will only improve over time.

Defense:

- we lose our top to 2 sack leaders.

- we graduate 1 player that finished the season in the top 6 for tackles.

Stats show the story and we did not make a bowl game:

The two biggest issues that come up when looking at the season stats: lack of sacks and lack of passing TD's. Right there is your answer to why we finished with 5 losses instead of 9 wins (4 close games and we had leads in 3 of those games). Think back Colorado in the 4th QTR, think back to Purdue, think back to today, think back to Indiana, etc, we did not get the pass rush to disrupt them.

As long as Spielman is back for 2020, we honestly don't graduate anything that can't be replaced. I can see one argue Lamar Jackson will be kind hard to replace, but Clark has looked good in his playing time.

If we can fix the pass rush issue and the passing game issue, we should be a much better team next year. But only time will tell the reality.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Play calling on offense and defense was either predictable or lacking most of the year in key moments
Special teams were an unmitigated, unmanageable disaster
Trot out all the stats you want
We’ve seen the games. There isn’t an impact player returning on defense next season and the staff hasn’t developed one to this point
Offense has zero red zone identity going into next year, something that eluded Frost all season
Spare me the offensive stats, this staff needs to put in the work in the other two phases as well in order to contend in our side of the division
Wisconsin and Iowa aren’t special but have been better coached and developed than Nebraska
There’s always next year, Cubs fans errr
Husker fans

I don't disagree with your stats, but the only 2 that matter in the end are 4 wins and 5 wins. That trend can't continue into next year. Figuring out how to win is just as much on Frost and Chin's and their personnel choices, game planning and play calling as it is on player execution. We have guys that just can't make certain plays yet we keep calling them.

Everyone thinks the boosters and AD and above will just merrily give Frost forever. They won't without showing progress and progress isn't another losing season and no bowl game. I think Frost has next year and the year after and that is it if he hasn't turned this thing around.

Here is a stat for you. In all those 7 losses we were tied at one point in the game. Man. Just think how close we were. Even Ohio State we were tied with to start the game. If we aren’t favored to win the west next year off these stats I don’t know what else to do.

Passing:

- We averaged 1 passing TD a game. That right there is the biggest issue for the offense going into the off-season. That has to get fixed. Has to or there is no bowl game next year. No way around this.

Rushing:

- we should finish the season 3rd in total rushing yards for the season in the Big Ten.. That isn't bad. The bad is when you get to the passing numbers.

- we return 5 out of our 6 top rushers for the season. Talent gets added too. We don't lose anything in the rushing category that can't be replaced.

Total offense:

- It will depend on the games tomorrow, but for as bad as our depth was at RB and WR this year, and starting a brand new player at the center that never played OL in his life before this year, we are 5th in the conference for yards per game. That will only improve over time.

Defense:

- we lose our top to 2 sack leaders.

- we graduate 1 player that finished the season in the top 6 for tackles.

Stats show the story and we did not make a bowl game:

The two biggest issues that come up when looking at the season stats: lack of sacks and lack of passing TD's. Right there is your answer to why we finished with 5 losses instead of 9 wins (4 close games and we had leads in 3 of those games). Think back Colorado in the 4th QTR, think back to Purdue, think back to today, think back to Indiana, etc, we did not get the pass rush to disrupt them.

As long as Spielman is back for 2020, we honestly don't graduate anything that can't be replaced. I can see one argue Lamar Jackson will be kind hard to replace, but Clark has looked good in his playing time.

If we can fix the pass rush issue and the passing game issue, we should be a much better team next year. But only time will tell the reality.

Here’s a stat I would be more interested in. How many times have you been banned?

I believe,could be wrong,we were in the lead in the second quarter in 5 of 7 loses,learn to win.
I don’t think that can be right. We never led Iowa, Minnesota or OSU. I know we blew double digit leads against IU, Purdue and CU. Did we lead Wisconsin?

Team sucks, coach sucks, players suck. I’d be surprised if we’re even able to field a team after all the transfers happen. We will probably never win another game again.

I think we can all agree on that.

Here is a stat for you. In all those 7 losses we were tied at one point in the game. Man. Just think how close we were. Even Ohio State we were tied with to start the game. If we aren’t favored to win the west next year off these stats I don’t know what else to do.
Wow, really doing some deep research there. All 5 of our wins were tied at one point, too.

How about looking at how late in the game Nebraska led or tied in losses...

Colorado: Led with under a minute left
Ohio State: Never led.
Minnesota: Never led.
Indiana: Led until midway through the 3rd quarter, tied until the last play of the third quarter.
Purdue: Led with under 2 minutes left.
Wisconsin: Led until midway through the 2nd quarter.
Iowa: Never led, tied until 1 second remaining.

AM completed 85 fewer passes than he did last year.

This is crazy to me. As much as we miss Stan, he was barely NFL level talent and also dropped tons of passes. We threw downfield far less this year so the low completion % comes from swing passes, screens and other short throws as much as anything.

AM definitely regressed this year and our offseason needs to certainly include finding better QB play whether it’s Martinez or someone else.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT