ADVERTISEMENT

States I would recruit harder

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
1) California: If I was an instate recruit there I would look elsewhere first. The state government there has zero interest in helping the Div IA programs compete nationally and will push all sorts of stupid laws and regulations to promote special interests. While other states reopen their facilities you can bet Cal will drag their feet.
2) Hawaii: There is too much talent out there to not recruit and try to restore the late 90s OL success. None of their best players will stay home.
3) Louisiana: The most NFL talent per capita in the country. I would hire a coach from there just to have an inside track (Mickey Joseph?)
4) North Carolina: Fast growing state in population, lots of athletes, and no great programs historically to compete against.
5) Utah: Kind of falls under the radar but the state is growing rapidly in population and has more Div IA talent year after year. Lots of Polynesian athletes as well.

1) California: If I was an instate recruit there I would look elsewhere first. The state government there has zero interest in helping the Div IA programs compete nationally and will push all sorts of stupid laws and regulations to promote special interests. While other states reopen their facilities you can bet Cal will drag their feet.
2) Hawaii: There is too much talent out there to not recruit and try to restore the late 90s OL success. None of their best players will stay home.
3) Louisiana: The most NFL talent per capita in the country. I would hire a coach from there just to have an inside track (Mickey Joseph?)
4) North Carolina: Fast growing state in population, lots of athletes, and no great programs historically to compete against.
5) Utah: Kind of falls under the radar but the state is growing rapidly in population and has more Div IA talent year after year. Lots of Polynesian athletes as well.

I would like establish more in Missouri, esp. St Louis. It’s close in proximity, produces quite a bit of Power5 talent and does not have a strong connection with any school. Lovie may have the best access for any kid who doesn’t wanna go to Mizzou.
We could and should go in there to start getting a few players.

Definitely agree on Lousiana. I think Georgia is our honeyhole right now.
Ohio could be tough, but another area with some potential.
We need to pick it up in Texas also.

Arizona, New Jersey and Missouri.

This is spot on. I think it's best to target population rich areas that do not have a major home team advantage. Think of Phoenix, New York, and St. Louis. If you got three Top 10 players in these states each year, that would help build towards a Top 15 nationally ranked class, which should be the goal every season.

more away games in some of these places...?
some locales end up being a quasi home games.

Mine to put more emphasis in:
1. California
2. Illinois
3. Indiana
4. North Carolina
5. New Jersey
6. Mississippi

358-3582296_alaska-the-last-frontier-return-date-alaska-the.png

Mickey Joseph is WR coach and assistant head coach for a program that just won the national championship. What does Nebraska have to offer that's going to bring him to Lincoln?

I would like establish more in Missouri, esp. St Louis. It’s close in proximity, produces quite a bit of Power5 talent and does not have a strong connection with any school. Lovie may have the best access for any kid who doesn’t wanna go to Mizzou.
We could and should go in there to start getting a few players.

Definitely agree on Lousiana. I think Georgia is our honeyhole right now.
Ohio could be tough, but another area with some potential.
We need to pick it up in Texas also.
We have struggled for a long time to get into St. Louis. There is a big anti Mizzou contingency in STL and Illinois sucks, so the opportunity is there. Ohio State has done a good job there and it seems like Miami has gotten some high profile guys too, but we just haven’t been able to. Lovie did hire an ace recruiter, who was a HS coach in STL and has been able to bring in more recruits from the area the last couple years.

Mickey Joseph is WR coach and assistant head coach for a program that just won the national championship. What does Nebraska have to offer that's going to bring him to Lincoln?
I was thinking we offered him, but he wanted to stay in Louisiana... not positive about that tho.

Reactions: TFrazier
Mine to put more emphasis in:
1. California
2. Illinois
3. Indiana
4. North Carolina
5. New Jersey
6. Mississippi
I'm not a big believer in expending a ton of effort on other Big 10 areas unless they are can't miss prospects, Husker fans, or hate the home state team. I don't think any of the states are as talent rich as Cal, Texas, the South, etc and more often than not we will lose the battle to the home state school. Better to expend your time and money where you will get more likely returns. Louisiana only has one major D-IA university program with plenty of other talent left over. Mississippi has 2 SEC schools and a smaller population (but still worth recruiting there).

Mickey was just the most obvious and first name that came to mind. We need to start winning some huge recruiting battles again for 4 and 5 star talent, and it helps to have coaches that know a state and metro area, know the high school coaches, and can talk the talk to the parents and the kids. You can't talk runzas to kids that eat gumbo.

I wouldn’t complain at all if we’d hire Keith Williams back as some type of Co-WR coach or some type of recruiter for the staff. Lubick is plenty good enough and he’s a proven WR developer but Williams would help a bit on the recruiting side of things, I would think. Those young WRs love the man.

Reactions: tpmcg
Agree on Arizona and Missouri. Missouri used to be gold for us. Arizona is about like Texas in how the bigger schools run their FB programs.

what's the difference between Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee iyo?

Holla

I do believe that Louisiana is a different culture than essentially anywhere in the US. It's seriously just different, which works there, but takes some adjusting when moving anywhere else...and I haven't lived there or anything, but we've taken multiple transfers. Almost everything I type after that would be construed as racist by someone somewhere, so I'm not going to go further.

Reactions: kakdawg
I would love to keep dipping into florida more.. we had great success there last year and with the relationships Frost and company has down there i love the speed that those kids tend to have.. im a big fan of getting the best we can anywhere..there is something to be said about digginf our claws into a power house school for 4-5 a year from florida high schools

Reactions: kakdawg
I would love to keep dipping into florida more.. we had great success there last year and with the relationships Frost and company has down there i love the speed that those kids tend to have.. im a big fan of getting the best we can anywhere..there is something to be said about digginf our claws into a power house school for 4-5 a year from florida high schools

not to mention we still should get an official visit from Terrence Lewis and if can pull together a decent to solid season, have a great visit and having as many teammates of his as we do on the team...who knows, maybe we can completely flip him around to our Huskers?

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I do believe that Louisiana is a different culture than essentially anywhere in the US. It's seriously just different, which works there, but takes some adjusting when moving anywhere else...and I haven't lived there or anything, but we've taken multiple transfers. Almost everything I type after that would be construed as racist by someone somewhere, so I'm not going to go further.

I understand what you mean. Just not sure i agree with it. There is sooo much talent in the state of Louisiana that i think you have to willing to go get some of these kids IF their willing to leave that area. Not all of those guys wanna leave Louisiana or the SEC footprint but many do. Same with guys in states like Georgia and Florida.

I guess i look at it a bit differently. I look at it as a person by person type deal. Im gonna judge each one of those kids regardless of where they come from accordingly. If you see signs or red flags then i get it you move on. But if not i think you get as much talent as you can from talent rich areas....Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Texas etc.

Yes you are gonna miss on a few. Maybe even a a tad bit higher rate. BUT you do that anywhere you recruit. You gonna miss on Illinois kids, Iowa kids, Nebraska kids etc.

Problem is there is only so much talent in that Nebraska area. So you are gonna have to get some talent elsewhere. Places like St Louis and Chicago hasnt been good to Nebraska in a long time. Those coaches have to branch out and recruit areas that they are familiar with. Thus the Georgia and Florida and even Alabama guys.

I just feel you go anywhere the talent is and try and find guys you think can fit into your culture and program. Anything else to me is shortsighted.

Holla

Agreed completely!

Holla

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Man, I hope we never stop recruiting the southern states, Cali areas, Texas and talent rich states. The moment we do that, we may as well give up on ever competing for BIG 10 titles or anything more. We will never compete just recruiting our home state and the states close to us. And the one thing Bill Callahan did teach us when he was here, our Huskers are more then capable recruiting those big boy states. We can NOT be scared to go out and try and get those big time recruits.

Man, I hope we never stop recruiting the southern states, Cali areas, Texas and talent rich states. The moment we do that, we may as well give up on ever competing for BIG 10 titles or anything more. We will never compete just recruiting our home state and the states close to us. And the one thing Bill Callahan did teach us when he was here, our Huskers are more then capable recruiting those big boy states. We can NOT be scared to go out and try and get those big time recruits.

Preach! The moment we stop recruiting those states (pray we dont) its the moment we have conceded winning at a high level.

Holla

I wouldn’t complain at all if we’d hire Keith Williams back as some type of Co-WR coach or some type of recruiter for the staff. Lubick is plenty good enough and he’s a proven WR developer but Williams would help a bit on the recruiting side of things, I would think. Those young WRs love the man.
No thanks. I don't know if we've seen a coach with a lower success rate. Who did he recruit that played? JD? Stan was a Pelini recruit who re-confirmed if I remember right. He put us in a major bind with his numbers and lack of dedicated players.

The lack of ability to gain traction in st. Louis or even k.c. is perplexing. I like Phoenix and Georgia. Beckton clearly has strong ties in Atlanta. We seem to recruit Alabama pretty hard too, which is fine. Have to be unconventional in these areas like we have been. Convert a high school qb to corner like cam or get in really early on an underrated qb like smothers. We seem to want to be in new Jersey too.

I don't like Ohio. Over recruited. Too many schools with deep ties to the area, osu, Michigan, msu, psu.

The one area that intrigues me is d.c. OSU absolutely kills it there. Makes me wonder what else is available.

Also recruiting Louisiana scares me. 1 player a year is fine but if we start hauling in 4 or 5 a year I will be freaking out. Your not going to find 5 hidden gems a year in that state. Recruited too heavily.

Cali is where I think you find the hidden gems outside the midwest. Other than the pac-12, most big time schools aren't out looking at 3 stars. I have more faith that a 3 star from cali will turn out then Texas. A lot less eyeballs on that player from cali.

Reactions: Crazyhole

You left out Texas. They might have the most blue chippers of any state. North Carolina is heavily recruited by Tennessee, Clemson, SC and Georgia. Mack Brown has taken NC to a much higher level recruiting his own state.

what's the difference between Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee iyo?

Holla

Georgia and Florida are loaded with football talent. The other two are not. Florida is the 4th largest state in the US, per population. The states of Georgia and NC are about 12 million each. Georgia has twice the football talent. Nebraska might be a tough sell in Georgia. You will be competing directly with UGA, Ga Tech
Clemson and Auburn. The latter two being right on the GA state line. Then next SC, Bama and Florida all recruit GA heavily. Go to Florida and you can, as Lewis said, “ Round up the usual suspects.”

Georgia and Florida are loaded with football talent. The other two are not. Florida is the 4th largest state in the US, per population. The states of Georgia and NC are about 12 million each. Georgia has twice the football talent. Nebraska might be a tough sell in Georgia. You will be competing directly with UGA, Ga Tech
Clemson and Auburn. The latter two being right on the GA state line. Then next SC, Bama and Florida all recruit GA heavily. Go to Florida and you can, as Lewis said, “ Round up the usual suspects.”

we are actually doing pretty well in Georgia and Alabama areas. It’s nice seeing our coaching staff having good foot holds in those areas along with Florida. Either way, I’ll never say “pass” on the Lousiana area. I say, get the best talent we can in any and all areas we can.

Last edited:
Once we win games and have a legit team to offer, recruiting will get a bit easier.
We’re completely irrelevant nationally and I’m mildly surprised we can recruit as well as we have, knowing it isn’t good enough.
We keep losing and recruiting will absolutely suffer.
We’re at an important crossroads.

While this is an important year for fans, I think the results are even more significant for recruits right now. They’re not gonna see the 7 year vision after a string of failure when plenty of other schools frankly offer a better product on the field without “visualizing” a 7 year model.

Reactions: TFrazier

I understand the premise but you can't nor shouldn't imo base your recruiting on competition. There is always gonna be competition for great players. If you wanna win at the level most of us and the coaches do you can't avoid that.

You are right we won't win many head to heads with Bama or Clemson and the like. But those guys from the south who wanna leave the south u absolutely go after them as hard as you can.

As a program you recruit where your coaches have the best connections and in roads. You don't put Tony T in the South and have him recruit against guys who have been recruiting that area for years. You put him in California and let him recruit a familiar area. Same as Fisher in Florida and Beckton in Georgia.

If competition dictates who you recruit your ceiling will not be very high. Everyone wants the great players. You better have your share of you want to win anything of meaning.

Holla

I understand the premise but you can't nor shouldn't imo base your recruiting on competition. There is always gonna be competition for great players. If you wanna win at the level most of us and the coaches do you can't avoid that.

You are right we won't win many head to heads with Bama or Clemson and the like. But those guys from the south who wanna leave the south u absolutely go after them as hard as you can.

As a program you recruit where your coaches have the best connections and in roads. You don't put Tony T in the South and have him recruit against guys who have been recruiting that area for years. You put him in California and let him recruit a familiar area. Same as Fisher in Florida and Beckton in Georgia.

If competition dictates who you recruit your ceiling will not be very high. Everyone wants the great players. You better have your share of you want to win anything of meaning.

Holla

I do agree, you cannot recruit areas based on competition. Sometimes, like you say, there is the rare bird who wants to leave the South. For those guys you will compete with Ohio St, Michigan, Norte Dame. Keep in mind Georgia is 9 million population and the schools who do the best job recruiting there are Clemson and Georgia. Then it’s Bama, Auburn, Florida, What do those guys have in common? They are constantly in the football playoffs. Two others; South Carolina and Tennessee recruit Georgia very hard. One third of their rosters are GA players. There is no other region like it when it comes to recruiting competition.

Nebraska has a great name and tradition and will snag a few from there, but I think there are better areas where the Huskers will be able to recruit the 5-star guys easier. You can’t recruit the whole country. If you try time will be your enemy. The coach has some nice Florida ties, and they and Texas are the second and third most populous states in the US. Both are famous for their football talent.

Ive always thought Nebraska did a pretty good job in Arizona... As we all know just recently (2019) the staff went in and plucked 3 of the top 15 in state kids... Interestingly enough, there are many local high school coaches who have expressed frustration with Herm Edwards recently... While ASU hasn't traditionally signed classes full of AZ kids they've at least been able to keep some of the higher-rated kids home... This hasn't happened under Edwards yet... ASU since his hiring (2017) has signed 8 AZ kids total over the last 3 classes and not one from the top 10-15 ranked kids. The recruiting coordinator has come out publicly and said that their home base is Southern California... U of A hasn't fared well locally either... More and more schools coming down here and swooping up these kids...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT