ADVERTISEMENT

Speed at NU

Frost wants warp speed to go along with massive size, power and strength like it was in the 90s

source.gif

Look at the elite teams, one we played, tOSU - people talk about speed and you automatically think RB, WR, DB. Those teams have it everywhere. Their D ends can run with our LBs.

Until you have legit speed across the board you have some speed at key positions but not speed everywhere.

Reactions: jeans15 and kakdawg
So Irving Fryar like speed. So far we our still waiting for someone with speed like that again .Mo was close but still doubt he would clock under 4,40 electric
Irving Fryar ran a 4.2 40. Kenny Bell ran a 4.4 and JD runs a 4.4, so I don't see the problem.

4.4 is not average speed. Tons of players have that listed until they actually get tested.

100%. 4.4 Electronic is elite speed. All of these WR's that list that are flat out using stop watch times where someone is probably giving them more than they should get. Also, straight line speed is a plus, but being able to do that while changing direction is what separates these WR's.

4.4 is not average speed. Tons of players have that listed until they actually get tested.
Fair... Is JD Speilman and Kenny Bell 4.4?

from what data I have Bell is 4.42, and Speilman hasn't ran in the combine yet. So here is why I think 4.4 - 4.5 40's are a dime a dozen now

Keep in mind not all fast guys get invited to the combine either...

(less than or =) 4.4 = 11
(greater than 4.4 but less than or =) 4.5 = 31
Total = 42

= 10
= 46
Total = 56

= 10
= 43
Total = 53

= 15
= 37
Total = 52

= 15
= 48
Total = 63

Grand total of 266 player in the last 5 years that are that fast

There are way more players these days that are 4.4ish fast, so to be elite you have to have the size to go with it now. I honestly can't believe I have to explain this? Should be common sense I would think, but I guess not

The guy has amazing juke skills and I have no doubt elite straight line speed.

But I would attribute much of his success in the video to poor/missed tackling and over pursuit by the defense.

Looks like a smaller version of Barry Sanders.

Go Blue!

On paper, honestly, that can't be beat.
Go back and look at the size of guys like Zach Weigart 6'5 300, Dr Rob Z 6'5 315, Brenden Stai 6'5 300 these guys were 1994, others Were Adam Julch 6'6 320, Adam Treu 6'6 320 when he was a senior, hell he was 300 as a Frosh Jeff Clausen 6'8 OL. Mike Rucker was 6'6, Terry Connealy DT 6'5, Jeff Ogard DT 6'5, Grant Wistrom 6'5. Go back and look at the size of those squads from 93 on in the 90s as there were more players with this size back then. The list keeps going as there was Size, Strength, Power and absolute speed across the board which Frost is trying to get back and is looking good so far. Size, Strength, Power and Speed aren't just generational as saying there is no way teams back then were as big, strong, powerful and as fast as they are today and anyone who thinks that doesn't know what the hell they're talking about and should just take take a huge jump off this planet and go away.

Last edited:
Go back and look at the size of guys like Zach Weigart 6'5 300, Dr Rob Z 6'5 315, Brenden Stai 6'5 300 these guys were 1994, others Were Adam Julch 6'6 320, Adam Treu 6'6 320 when he was a senior, hell he was 300 as a Frosh Jeff Clausen 6'8 OL. Mike Rucker was 6'6, Terry Connealy DT 6'5, Jeff Ogard DT 6'5, Grant Wistrom 6'5. Go back and look at the size of those squads from 93 on in the 90s as there were more players with this size back then. The list keeps going as there was Size, Strength, Power and absolute speed across the board which Frost is trying to get back and is looking good so far. Size, Strength, Power and Speed aren't just generational as saying there is no way teams back then were as big, strong, powerful and as fast as they are today and anyone who thinks that doesn't know what the hell they're talking about and should just take take a huge jump off this planet and go away.
Yeah 100% spot on and I don't think I really need to add anything to that, you nailed it. Get that same concept for the big uglies, add that Oregon speed at the skill positions and, again, on paper, that can't be beat. Fun fact, my dad actually used to work with Adam Julch. Not sure how well they knew each other but atleast formally they knew each other at work. He used to tell me that he is just an absolute mountain of a human being. My dad is 58 now and his size is starting to go away a little bit but back in his "hay day of adulthood" he was one of the broadest and widest dudes in a room, meaning shoulders and hips and all that, not obesity. He always tried to sit a chair away from the next nearest person because his shoulders too wide and would make it uncomfortable for everyone. Well, he used to tell me that Adam basically made him and everyone else look an absolute dwarf just by his sheer height and width and size of his body. I don't think I've ever seen Adam in person but I certainly believe it.

In my old job at Xplosive Edge in Omaha, I was able to sit in on conversations with Gib Duval and Jon Zatechka a couple of times while they were just BSing and he's every bit as advertised as well. Big human being.

Reactions: Wyldcard
not a big fan of chasing measurables..

show me a guy who elevates his game when it is on the line.. clutch when you need it. Works harder than anyone else.. that is all way more important than chasing down a guy who has 3 hundredths of a sec faster 3 cone drill and all that other non-sense.

show me a guy who elevates his game when it is on the line.. clutch when you need it. Works harder than anyone else.. that is all way more important than chasing down a guy who has 3 hundredths of a sec faster 3 cone drill and all that other non-sense.
And I'll show you a guy with the same heart, thats bigger, stronger and faster crush that guy, and love doing it, and can't wait to do it over and over again.

Yeah 100% spot on and I don't think I really need to add anything to that, you nailed it. Get that same concept for the big uglies, add that Oregon speed at the skill positions and, again, on paper, that can't be beat. Fun fact, my dad actually used to work with Adam Julch. Not sure how well they knew each other but atleast formally they knew each other at work. He used to tell me that he is just an absolute mountain of a human being. My dad is 58 now and his size is starting to go away a little bit but back in his "hay day of adulthood" he was one of the broadest and widest dudes in a room, meaning shoulders and hips and all that, not obesity. He always tried to sit a chair away from the next nearest person because his shoulders too wide and would make it uncomfortable for everyone. Well, he used to tell me that Adam basically made him and everyone else look an absolute dwarf just by his sheer height and width and size of his body. I don't think I've ever seen Adam in person but I certainly believe it.

In my old job at Xplosive Edge in Omaha, I was able to sit in on conversations with Gib Duval and Jon Zatechka a couple of times while they were just BSing and he's every bit as advertised as well. Big human being.
Rob was bigger than he was

So, since the topic is speed at NU, where is it? Are our WR's fast overall? How about our TE's? LB's? (this one is pretty obvious), DB's?

I would say we have "some speed" at "some positions" but overall we are lacking. Do we have enough speed on O to constantly put pressure on the D or enough speed on D to chase the O down? We just recruited a LB that runs over 5.0 reportedly. Is that speed?

That was those 90s squads with measurables and speed

I agree with this whole heartedly. But I don't think RSS does when that kid is probably a high 3 star compared to the 5 star who gets all the attention while probably lacking that level of work ethic because he was never overlooked and may not have that same chip on his shoulder. Can't measure that part.

I will take Football players over speed guys every day of the week and twice on Saturday's! JMO

Which just adds to the emphasis of the kind of athletes we had here for a while once upon a time.
Frost will rebuild what once was and it's starting to happen and will take bit t complete but will happen.

You're speaking my language brother
Frost and Held are last bastions of those glory years and they know what the players should look like as well as their speed and physicality. Frost is starting to instill not the just culture of old but the nasty vicious attitude that those 90s squads possessed. Mark it, Frost will bring back the 90s with a modern twist.

Frost and Held are last bastions of those glory years and they know what the players should look like as well as their speed and physicality. Frost is starting to instill not the just culture of old but the nasty vicious attitude that those 90s squads possessed. Mark it, Frost will bring back the 90s with a modern twist.
Literally the same things I've been preaching to people for the last 2 years. Getting me all sorts of fired up!

Fabian Washington might be the last elite speed guy.
Guys like EC, Bobby Newcombe, Roy Helu, TM, Kenny Bell, DPE and JD all say hi! Everyone here runs a 4.4 at least and Taylor was the fastest of them all including Fabian Washington, however as fast a Ahman Green was, the only one that had a very similar 1st step and insane top gear as TM was Lawrence Phillips and that's no lie. The fastest Husker in school history (football only! ha ha) is Dana Brinson back in the 80s who somehow managed to squeak by the fastest in history to that point which was the Flyer and that was saying something especially doing that to the #1 overall pick in the NFL. Give you an idea how fast he was, for awhile, the only one faster than he was, was a dude by the name of Darrell Green who was and is to this day to my knowledge the still the fastest player in NFL history.

Darrell Green
Green
reportedly recorded a time of 4.09 at the Washington Redskins' training camp in 1986. Green ran down from significant distances many of the fastest running backs and receivers to play in the NFL. Green has said in interviews that the fastest time he has ever been aware of running is 4.15. Apr 16, 2011

Last edited:
Guys like EC, Bobby Newcombe, Roy Helu, TM, Kenny Bell, DPE and JD all say hi! Everyone here runs a 4.4 at least and Taylor was the fastest of them all including Fabian Washington, however as fast a Ahman Green was, the only one that had a very similar 1st step and insane top gear as TM was Lawrence Phillips and that's no lie. The fastest Husker in school history (football only! ha ha) is Dana Brinson back in the 80s who somehow managed to squeak by the fastest in history to that point which was the Flyer and that was saying something especially doing that to the #1 overall pick in the NFL. Give you an idea how fast he was, for awhile, the only one faster than he was, was a dude by the name of Darrell Green who was and is to this day to my knowledge the still the fastest player in NFL history.

Darrell Green
Green
reportedly recorded a time of 4.09 at the Washington Redskins' training camp in 1986. Green ran down from significant distances many of the fastest running backs and receivers to play in the NFL. Green has said in interviews that the fastest time he has ever been aware of running is 4.15. Apr 16, 2011
Loved Green, he'd lost a step or two,at long into his career,he still kept up with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT