ADVERTISEMENT

So, who has the advantage with CU being your first game

That’s a funny way for you to twist his words around in an extreme manner. I believe the man said the Huskers have better Athletes then Colorado. And that’s not exactly far fetched. Recruiting wise, Huskers do appear to have the better talent wise. We just haven’t seen the product on field because if Mike Riley and his staff. That has changed and no longer an issue. Frost and his staff should get the most out of our talent. Husker to Colorado may not be Bama compared to Kansas or even close to that. But he’s right, Husker do APPEAR to have the advantage in talent wise when recruiting ranking are considered....at the worst case, by a smaller margin. Again, nice way to twist his words to the extreme like he was claiming Colorado has Akron talent. ;)

Hell your claim of NU not having good athletes is more ridiculous then what he claimed of the Huskers having better athletes then Colorado. Some of are good to great athletes, Just to name a couple that pop up in most peoples heads: T Lindsey, JD Speilman, Maurice Washington, A Martinez (yep I’d consider him a good athlete), S Morgan, G Bell, Woodyard and there’s plenty more and yes some are new faces (I could of listed M Williams)...again the previous staff just bombed bringing some along and how badly we did last year masks they athletes we have in the skill positions.

I never said NU didn't have good athletes. I just think it's a bit far fetched to say they have all of these better athletes than CU when no one has seen them. It's not like the NFL draft has been littered with Huskers either (just 2 the last 2 years). You've had some recruiting rankings, but you've had more attrition than perhaps any team we play. If they are leaving, than they aren't developing. I guess you can blame everything on Mike Riley, but is that exactly accurate? Mike Riley has a long history as a successful coach at a place that is extremely difficult to win at (Oregon State). Blaming him may be more convenience than the reality that maybe the players weren't as athletic as some people thought. We will find out for sure.

As far as recruiting rankings, they are put on 16 year old kids who have yet to develop into men. Development is half the battle. If Riley were so terrible in the development area (all of a sudden), how is Frost going to develop them in what, 8 months if they spent years being underdeveloped? My points are valid if you take off the rose colored glasses.

We may yet beat Colorado, but not having this game is definitely a setback for us. No substitute for an actual game to pinpoint your weaknesses and strengths and make adjustments.

Reactions: scarletred
The buffs did look impressive in their win. However, CSU is terrible. Really tough to gage either NU or CU at this point. I'm gonna predict a high scoring affair with Nebraska squeaking this one out by 4-7 points. Disadvantages with young, inexperienced players and a new system will be overcome by sheer talent and a rowdy stadium. I think Nebraska has much more upside this year. Just have to fine tune the engine in non-conference play. Glad this one is in Lincoln! It wouldn't be a total shock though if CU pulled it out. Early prediction......45-38 Huskers

Playing Akron is about as worthless as a full scrimmage...completely pointless game
I'll go ahead and disagree with you. We have a QB that hasn't taken a snap in anger in 2 years. We have an entirely new coaching staff with an entirely new offense and defense. We a lot of new faces starting on this team. Mistakes will be made and I would rather have them against Akron than CU. This game also counts toward those needed for bowl eligibility. There is no silver lining to this and no way to spin it in a good light.

I’m going to disagree also. The team needed those live reps. Certainly doesn’t help us, but no excuses next week.

The buffs did look impressive in their win. However, CSU is terrible. Really tough to gage either NU or CU at this point. I'm gonna predict a high scoring affair with Nebraska squeaking this one out by 4-7 points. Disadvantages with young, inexperienced players and a new system will be overcome by sheer talent and a rowdy stadium. I think Nebraska has much more upside this year. Just have to fine tune the engine in non-conference play. Glad this one is in Lincoln! It wouldn't be a total shock though if CU pulled it out. Early prediction......45-38 Huskers
CSU is beyond awful, but not offensively. They actually have some good dudes on offense. I see a low scoring game quite honestly. Nebraska looks pretty dang big on defense. It will be hard to move the ball against you guys is my guess. Particularly since you have game film on CU and can grab some tendencies. Then again, CU went extreme vanilla against CSU so who knows what tricks will be brought. That probably events things out there. I know NU fans won't agree with me, but I just don't see a freshman QB who hasn't played since his junior year in high school coming out as Khalil Tate. He's going to try to do too much with his scrambling ability and get himself into trouble. He's going to make a throw he shouldn't into coverage he doesn't understand. That's sure to take another 14 points off of NU's scoreboard. I see a game in the 20's. Low 20's. If NU scores 45, hats off to you.

Reactions: saluno22
As pointed out last night- there is no silver lining in NU’s game being cancelled. It gives CU a tremendous advantage they would not have otherwise had. Huge advantage for CU.

I wasn't aware NU had a ton of great athletes. Whom are NU's great athletes? I'm not saying CU has a bunch of great athletes, just not aware NU has them. We do have a guy 6th in the Pac 12 track and field championship 100m playing linebacker. How did NU's athletes do at the Big10 championships?

Well over the past 5 years CU has averaged #56 in recruiting and NU has averaged #26. You stated you’ve had roughly 60% roster turnover in the past 2 seasons. Is that turnover enough to make up 30 spots nationally? And that’s not taking into account our nearly 40% turnover since December. All things being equal I would be comfortable saying that on paper NU’s athletes are better than CU’s and really it’s probably not comparable.

IIRC our 2 deep has 13 guys that were not on the roster last year. So roughly 30% of the 2 deep that will play next weekend we’re not even Huskers last year. So the reality is we really don’t know what we have. But I would say the newcomers are upgrades. Frost has already compared our true freshman QB to Marcus Mariota, which is probably not fair, but I think it speaks to the athletes that we have. They may be untested in a new system but don’t underestimate the level of athletes that NU has. IMO we have top 25 talent, just a matter of time until we prove it.

You do have the film and the health though. The home crowd was lit too for the opener. That will be the environment for the CU game. Akron was just a dress rehearsal. It does make the CU game an even bigger game now though. With 11 games on the schedule, getting to 6 wins just got that much harder. Can't afford to lose to CU. No pressure.
Film is no guarantee. Schools have contracts for exchange. Typically, it is the same number of games are exchanged.

Neb has tv footage to view, and likely many if not every game from last year. CU likely has many UCF games.

Game speed and self scouting are CUs advantages

Well over the past 5 years CU has averaged #56 in recruiting and NU has averaged #26. You stated you’ve had roughly 60% roster turnover in the past 2 seasons. Is that turnover enough to make up 30 spots nationally? And that’s not taking into account our nearly 40% turnover since December. All things being equal I would be comfortable saying that on paper NU’s athletes are better than CU’s and really it’s probably not comparable.

IIRC our 2 deep has 13 guys that were not on the roster last year. So roughly 30% of the 2 deep that will play next weekend we’re not even Huskers last year. So the reality is we really don’t know what we have. But I would say the newcomers are upgrades. Frost has already compared our true freshman QB to Marcus Mariota, which is probably not fair, but I think it speaks to the athletes that we have. They may be untested in a new system but don’t underestimate the level of athletes that NU has. IMO we have top 25 talent, just a matter of time until we prove it.

I don't know. Only the first 20 count. If the 20 that weren't counted are similar as the first 20 that are counted, then that's certainly a factor in overall team rankings since so many are gone from the lowest ranked classes. If the players that stayed from the lowest ranked classes were more highly ranked than the players that left from those early classes, how does that factor? Another factor is, just how literally do you take the rankings? Does a ranking handed out to a 16 year old by a group of adults determine his future forever in football? Like most fans, you probably take it literally when it's convenient, but when another team has much higher rankings than yours, you talk about development.

Truth is, I don't see a bunch of NU players on anyone's preseason draft lists. NU hasn't really been putting a ton of guys in the NFL draft. It's certainly conceivable that there isn't this deep level of talent running around Lincoln. Then again, you have 13 guys who weren't on the roster last year. Maybe those 13 guys are all future NFL studs. Maybe they're not.

Lastly, Marcus Mariotta. Oh boy. Frost is going to learn a few things about humbleness in the coming years is my guess. The kool-aid runs fresh now but we'll see what he's made of when he faces adversity for the first time. Our coach had the mantra of turning teams around as well after leading San Jose State to an 11-2 season and top 20 ranking. Yes, the same SJSU that was nearly shut down their program. It's a different world in the big leagues where every game counts, not just a couple of big ones.

I don't know. Only the first 20 count. If the 20 that weren't counted are similar as the first 20 that are counted, then that's certainly a factor in overall team rankings since so many are gone from the lowest ranked classes. If the players that stayed from the lowest ranked classes were more highly ranked than the players that left from those early classes, how does that factor? Another factor is, just how literally do you take the rankings? Does a ranking handed out to a 16 year old by a group of adults determine his future forever in football? Like most fans, you probably take it literally when it's convenient, but when another team has much higher rankings than yours, you talk about development.

Truth is, I don't see a bunch of NU players on anyone's preseason draft lists. NU hasn't really been putting a ton of guys in the NFL draft. It's certainly conceivable that there isn't this deep level of talent running around Lincoln. Then again, you have 13 guys who weren't on the roster last year. Maybe those 13 guys are all future NFL studs. Maybe they're not.

Lastly, Marcus Mariotta. Oh boy. Frost is going to learn a few things about humbleness in the coming years is my guess. The kool-aid runs fresh now but we'll see what he's made of when he faces adversity for the first time. Our coach had the mantra of turning teams around as well after leading San Jose State to an 11-2 season and top 20 ranking. Yes, the same SJSU that was nearly shut down their program. It's a different world in the big leagues where every game counts, not just a couple of big ones.

I guess we’ll let it all play out next Saturday. I think CU has pretty good overall team speed. It looked that way on Friday night. But CSU is a bad football team. The reality is I don’t think you learned much more about the 2018 version of CU by beating a bad CSU team than we learned about NU by not playing. It’s two teams that don’t know much about each other, or themselves for that matter. Advantage to you because you have at least played a game. But if the talent I (and many others) believe we have shows up, I think the advantage tilts in our favor. Especially at home.

I guess we’ll let it all play out next Saturday. I think CU has pretty good overall team speed. It looked that way on Friday night. But CSU is a bad football team. The reality is I don’t think you learned much more about the 2018 version of CU by beating a bad CSU team than we learned about NU by not playing. It’s two teams that don’t know much about each other, or themselves for that matter. Advantage to you because you have at least played a game. But if the talent I (and many others) believe we have shows up, I think the advantage tilts in our favor. Especially at home.
Agreed.

I disagree. We need the experience playing in real time. The game will be a little slower for CU. To start at least.
then they should load up and scrimmage...we hope that our talent level is better than akrons...and playing 1 vs 1 should be a better test for AM than playing against Akron. He'll get use to the crowd in 2 series...the game is pointless except for bowl eligibility, but again this is stupid...if we can't win 6 games with our schedule then we shouldn't be bowling...beating akron, in Lincoln, shouldn't determine your fate,whatsoever.

Reactions: huskerssalts
On average a team has the most improvement between game 1 and game 2. Colorado has a game under their belts. Anyway you look at it unless Colorado lost lost of starters to injury Colorado has the advantage of having played a game when Neb has not! That is not even up for question

Colorado gained a huge advantage last night. A huge, unexpected gift from the heavens.

Whatever advantage NU gains in the film and health department is more than offset by Adrian Martinez losing an opportunity to get 60+ snaps under his belt; losing an opportunity to build chemistry with his receivers; losing an opportunity for several other new players to get real snaps; and losing a huge opportunity for NU coaches to correct first game mistakes from their team.

Whether it's enough to turn a win into a loss remains to be seen. But there is virtually no advantage NU gained with this game being cancelled. Only disadvantages.
continuity with receivers is created in practice...and they get an extra day of practice if they want it...it is a wash...team will be fresh, hyped, healthy, and their playbook is hidden...they get an extra day to prepare for colorado who already has a game on tape to dissect. The reason teams improve so dramatically from week 1 to 2 is not the experience but the preparation. coaches now have accurate data on the team they will be playing...week 1 is a complete guess in terms of game planning. If we are a good team, then we will roll colorado...if we are a still bad team we will get beat...the rainout matters not.

then they should load up and scrimmage...we hope that our talent level is better than akrons...and playing 1 vs 1 should be a better test for AM than playing against Akron. He'll get use to the crowd in 2 series...the game is pointless except for bowl eligibility, but again this is stupid...if we can't win 6 games with our schedule then we shouldn't be bowling...beating akron, in Lincoln, shouldn't determine your fate,whatsoever.

This. SF and his staff will not allow yesterday to become an excuse for a potential loss at CU. They will approach that game with a winning mentality. Great teams, and great coaches know how to handle adversity. They just have to overcome it. I still expect to beat CU, same as I did earlier this year. I doubt the team’s mentality is any different. It sucks, but it is what it is, and how well prepared, and how well they play on Saturday against CU will tell us a lot about the character of this team and their willingness to fight through adversity.

I was actually thinking this. I know this is never how you want to do it, and hopefully never have to again (assuming Frosts would and does it). But playing are 1st team offense against our 1st defense and making it like a live football game, is indeed as close as it gets to a live game against another team. But would Frost do this just to get the players a game in before CU Fluffs??

I imagine you are doing that. I would! Going weeks without scrimmaging would be bad.

continuity with receivers is created in practice...and they get an extra day of practice if they want it...it is a wash...team will be fresh, hyped, healthy, and their playbook is hidden...they get an extra day to prepare for colorado who already has a game on tape to dissect. The reason teams improve so dramatically from week 1 to 2 is not the experience but the preparation. coaches now have accurate data on the team they will be playing...week 1 is a complete guess in terms of game planning. If we are a good team, then we will roll colorado...if we are a still bad team we will get beat...the rainout matters not.
I actually disagree with this a little. The preparation is 1 thing for sure, but the timing, the game speed, the getting used to physicality, is another. You got better from game 1 to game 2 because you got used to actually playing a real opponent who is trying to beat you, not the guys in practice. It's sparring partner vs. real opponent. One guy is honestly trying to kill you, the other is getting you ready as best as possible without killing you. Film is part of your practice replication for sure, but just getting used to competing against a true opponent is another level of your psychological and physical development.

People always say teams make their biggest leap between game 1 and 2, but in the past 15 years I can't ever remember Nebraska improving from game 1 to 2... at all, maybe got worse (maybe thats coaching?). Now yeah, it would be nice to get some experience especially with so many newcomers playing, but its not like they haven't played football before.. for most, they have been groomed since they were waist high. I think some are really exaggerating what this Akron game meant for the season. Two of our more difficult games, Michigan and Michigan State... didn't necessarily look all that great and as the season continues we'll see exactly how tough our schedule and the B1G actually is and if we needed Akron to be bowl eligible.

Now for Colorado to gain some mythical advantage because they played 1 game... you got to be kidding me. They didn't become Ohio State all of the sudden because they played CSU. Colorado is still Colorado.

Speaking of this mythical 1 game advantage... look at how much more of an advantage New Mexico State and Wyoming had against Minnesota & Washington State with that magical 1 game advantage.

I actually disagree with this a little. The preparation is 1 thing for sure, but the timing, the game speed, the getting used to physicality, is another. You got better from game 1 to game 2 because you got used to actually playing a real opponent who is trying to beat you, not the guys in practice. It's sparring partner vs. real opponent. One guy is honestly trying to kill you, the other is getting you ready as best as possible without killing you. Film is part of your practice replication for sure, but just getting used to competing against a true opponent is another level of your psychological and physical development.

You must not know how Osborne and the staff did during the National title years... At least once a week the 1st team offense scrimmage the Blackshirt defense..

Just so happens we don’t have the depth we back in the day..

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Physicality? just no. Game speed, don't think so, especially considering the tempo of our practices. Timing, again unlikely. The difference between a game and a scrimmage is how a player reacts to the environment and inherent pressures there within. Every team has new players each year, but with the coaching change we have had a ton of turnover and thus new players that we don't know how they will handle the pressure of 90,000 eyes on them watching their every move and millions more through the tube and having something on the line. Some guys thrive in that, some guys crumble. Who rises to the challenge, who doesn't, no one knows, and I think that is what is feeding most of our fans concerns.

From the perspective of Offensive and Defensive lines, yes I would agree nothing really replaces in game experiences. However, when you’re getting a true freshman QB reps and want him seeing the speed of the game and the throwing windows, I would say he’s getting a better look against our number 1 secondary and linebackers than he would against Akron’s. The speed of our 1’s is going to be similar to what he’s going to see week in and week out in the BIG (and other P5 teams).

That said, when NU was at their best the 1’s going against the 1’s were the best teams that they played year in and year out. As has been said, we just don’t have that level of depth. But when Frost talks about bringing NU back, that’s part of the formula. Making sure the guy you practice against is the toughest opponent that you’ll face that week. So that when you do get to game day, it’s really no different than practice. If I’ve heard Frost and his staff say it once, I’ve heard it 100 times. They expect to approach every single practice as if it’s game day. I know, I know, I know. Every coaching staff says that. However its one thing to say it, it’s quite another to actually execute it. So far this staff has executed that mentality for 2 years. I doubt it’s any different today.

Reactions: scarletred
From the perspective of Offensive and Defensive lines, yes I would agree nothing really replaces in game experiences. However, when you’re getting a true freshman QB reps and want him seeing the speed of the game and the throwing windows, I would say he’s getting a better look against our number 1 secondary and linebackers than he would against Akron’s. The speed of our 1’s is going to be similar to what he’s going to see week in and week out in the BIG (and other P5 teams).

That said, when NU was at their best the 1’s going against the 1’s were the best teams that they played year in and year out. As has been said, we just don’t have that level of depth. But when Frost talks about bringing NU back, that’s part of the formula. Making sure the guy you practice against is the toughest opponent that you’ll face that week. So that when you do get to game day, it’s really no different than practice. If I’ve heard Frost and his staff say it once, I’ve heard it 100 times. They expect to approach every single practice as if it’s game day. I know, I know, I know. Every coaching staff says that. However its one thing to say it, it’s quite another to actually execute it. So far this staff has executed that mentality for 2 years. I doubt it’s any different today.

Argeed, You worded it much better than I...

Now for Colorado to gain some mythical advantage because they played 1 game... you got to be kidding me. They didn't become Ohio State all of the sudden because they played CSU. Colorado is still Colorado.

Speaking of this mythical 1 game advantage... look at how much more of an advantage New Mexico State and Wyoming had against Minnesota & Washington State with that magical 1 game advantage.
Wyoming was winning that game. Just crumbled in the end. Might have been much worse without some game action. You can't really make the statement that it didn't help. WSU is a great deal better than Wyoming. Playing a game won't make you Ohio State, but it will likely clean up a lot of the first game mistakes and teams do play faster in game 2. Meaning, it will make you a better version of yourself. Right?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Advantages:
1.) Your team will be very fresh! No injuries so a full lineup of healthy players to enter the game with CU.
2.) CU will be a bit beaten up with some extra injuries and players out from a tough 1st game.
3.) You have film on CU to spend a week preparing while the opponent has nothing on you.

Disadvantages:
1.) Teams generally improve the most between game 1 and game 2. Just getting used to the speed, the hitting, and getting all the first game mistakes out of the way.
2.) You don't have any film on yourselves which is essential into improving from game to game. You probably haven't even scrimmaged for over a week.
3.) Your freshman QB hasn't played a game since his junior year in high school and gets game 1 against a former rival angling to beat him.

How will all of that play out???

Well CU sucks so.. I'm expecting a beating of a lower tier PAC-12 team. You have a beautiful state though.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Well CU sucks so.. I'm expecting a beating of a lower tier PAC-12 team. You have a beautiful state though.
Last 3 years-
Overal record: CU 19-20, NU 19-19

Losses by more than two scores: CU 11, NU 10

Wins over ranked teams: CU 2, NU 2

10 win seasons: CU 1, NU 0

Weeks ranked in top 10: CU 3, NU 3

Allowing an opponent to score more than 50 points: CU 0 times, NU 7 times

Reactions: buff5280
Is Nebraska good? This is still a team coming off a 4-8 season.
Well, according to your buddy Scavenger you can't use last year's results as a measuring point. But if you are, CU is coming off a 5 win season in a weak Pac12 and you still have the same staff that got you there. Nebraska is coming off a 4 win season but we've got a new staff that I can say with certainty will make significant improvement over last year.

Last 3 years-

Meaningless stats, smiling Mike is gone. Good try though.

49-18-2

5-1*

Last edited:
Reactions: keilwitzg
Last 3 years-

Those were the stats under Mike Riley. A Pac12 coach with a career .500 record. If history is a predictor of future performance, then I think you should take a look at our new coach.

Player at Stanford and Nebraska under Bill Walsh and Tom Osborne. National Champion in 1997. Played in the NFL for 6 years, including time with the New York Jets under Bill Parcells and OC Bill Belicheck and also time in Tampa Bay Playing for Jon Gruden and Mike Tomlinson (whom he still chats with on a regular basis). Spend several years as WR coach and OC at Oregon under Chip Kelly where he was instrumental in recruiting and developing a Heisman winning QB, winning 7 conference titles and a birth to a National Championship game. He went on to take an 0-12 team to 6-7 in his first season and then went on to 13-0 with the school’s first ever major bowl victory and finished ranked 6th in the nation.

Our new coach has been compared by the national media (not Husker fans) to Urban Myer, and as recently as this past week, Tim Brando of CBS said that Frost is a Hall of Fame coach in waiting and may be the best College Football hire since Alabama hired Nick Saban.

If history truly does predict future success then any stats up pulled from the past 4 years are worthless and have absolutely zero bearing on Saturday. On the other hand, you’ve had your head coach for 6 seasons now, and he’s not even a .500 coach, which DOES have some value. You very well may get us on Saturday. As Frost said early on, teams better take their shots at Nebraska now, because once this thing is full speed ahead, we’re going to very dangerous and very difficult to beat.

Reactions: keilwitzg
I will bring some common sense to this thread. We have too many free board poor folks and too many kind bud smoking ski junkies from Colorado debating idiocy.

So which team has the advantage? The answer is both defenses.

1. Nebraska has a ton of experience on defense throughout all three levels. This won't help them beat the likes of Ohio State, but it will give them a tremendous advantage game planning for one game vs. the Buffs.

Antonio Reed- S- - double digit starts
Tre Neal -S-19 career starts in this scheme for UCF
Dedrick Young, Barry, Gifford, and Ferguson - LB - more than 100 career games in Power 5 football.
Freedom, Stille, and Stoltenburg- DL - more than 40 career starts in Power 5 football.
Lamar and Bootle CB- more than 25 career starts in Power 5 football.

Those dudes have seen it all. And they have 3 years of film on Montez, plus an additional game of live action from 2018. This allows Nebraska to game plan extensively. The Buffs also will come in and try to run tempo vs. the Huskers. Nebraska's own offense and scout team can replicate a faster up tempo offense more than any team in the country. Coach Chin can draw up exotic blitzes and coverages that would be rather foreign to younger teams. Nebraska's experience at this level of football gives them a ridiculous surprise factor that wouldn't be incorporated for younger and less experienced squads.

2. Advantage Buffs - Nebraska's offense needed that Akron game. They have an immense riches of skill talent along with an experienced offensive line, but they also have so many players including the QB who have never taken a live Power 5 Snap. When Martinez takes the first snap and hands off to Greg Bell, it will be the first play either man makes at this level of football. When Spielman goes in motion, it will be the first time he ever motions from the slot to become a ball carrier. When the offensive line drops into pass pro, it will be the first time they communicate in this new scheme.

Everyone keeps saying this will be a high scoring affair.. IMO, you should take the under.

Well, according to your buddy Scavenger you can't use last year's results as a measuring point. But if you are, CU is coming off a 5 win season in a weak Pac12 and you still have the same staff that got you there. Nebraska is coming off a 4 win season but we've got a new staff that I can say with certainty will make significant improvement over last year.
Nothing is with certainty. The same staff that got us a 5 win season also got us a 10 win season so there's that. CU was mostly competitive even in it's 5 win season so there's that as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT