ADVERTISEMENT

So, who has the advantage with CU being your first game

Scavenger

Walk On
Jul 23, 2002
Advantages:
1.) Your team will be very fresh! No injuries so a full lineup of healthy players to enter the game with CU.
2.) CU will be a bit beaten up with some extra injuries and players out from a tough 1st game.
3.) You have film on CU to spend a week preparing while the opponent has nothing on you.

Disadvantages:
1.) Teams generally improve the most between game 1 and game 2. Just getting used to the speed, the hitting, and getting all the first game mistakes out of the way.
2.) You don't have any film on yourselves which is essential into improving from game to game. You probably haven't even scrimmaged for over a week.
3.) Your freshman QB hasn't played a game since his junior year in high school and gets game 1 against a former rival angling to beat him.

How will all of that play out???

Agreed, all advantage to CU. This was not good for us. You need these games to get things going.
You do have the film and the health though. The home crowd was lit too for the opener. That will be the environment for the CU game. Akron was just a dress rehearsal. It does make the CU game an even bigger game now though. With 11 games on the schedule, getting to 6 wins just got that much harder. Can't afford to lose to CU. No pressure.

Playing Akron is about as worthless as a full scrimmage...completely pointless game...never has anyone said, man, playing that MAC team really prepared us for conference play. It is a glorified scrimmage that exposes your team to injuries and wear and tear in a season that will be long enough. We could still lose the game but it was a lose/lose no matter...if we win by 40 we get over confident, if we get beat the state freaks out.

Playing Akron is about as worthless as a full scrimmage...completely pointless game...never has anyone said, man, playing that MAC team really prepared us for conference play. It is a glorified scrimmage that exposes your team to injuries and wear and tear in a season that will be long enough. We could still lose the game but it was a lose/lose no matter...if we win by 40 we get over confident, if we get beat the state freaks out.
but it was pretty much a guaranteed win towards bowl eligibility and placement. Play the starters 2.5 quarters and rest.

Playing Akron is about as worthless as a full scrimmage...completely pointless game
I'll go ahead and disagree with you. We have a QB that hasn't taken a snap in anger in 2 years. We have an entirely new coaching staff with an entirely new offense and defense. We a lot of new faces starting on this team. Mistakes will be made and I would rather have them against Akron than CU. This game also counts toward those needed for bowl eligibility. There is no silver lining to this and no way to spin it in a good light.

I just have an inkling that the cancellation will lead to us losing to Colorado, essentially giving us 10 games to win 6, with Frost losing his first game as head coach.

If they want film on Frost, all they need to do is watch UCF film.

Well, I have an inkling that we'll be just fine. Sorry-not going to join in your pity party. I would have expected this kind of attitude for the last several coaches. I'm still wondering when some of you are going to actually show you believe in the coach you say you believe in. Is it a great situation to be in? No. Is it going to change the outcome of next week's game? I don't believe so. I expect to win that game and I see no reason at all to change my mind now.

I disagree. We need the experience playing in real time. The game will be a little slower for CU. To start at least.

It makes things a little more challenging, but it could have been easily scheduled this way too, so there is no reason to go make it worse than it is.

Coaches have to keep the players heads in the right place. I'd scrimmage today, there is a lot of pent up energy that needs to be released and you don't want your team getting stale. We have much better athletes than CU, so I'm not too worried about it, but you have to reset your approach and go with the new conditions. This is how life is too.

The fans will make a much bigger deal out of this than is necessary. This is not much different than having a restaurant that is jam packed lose your reservation and having to change plans. You just roll with it, and you don't let it ruin your evening or week.

Reactions: husker2612
It makes things a little more challenging, but it could have been easily scheduled this way too, so there is no reason to go make it worse than it is.

Coaches have to keep the players heads in the right place. I'd scrimmage today, there is a lot of pent up energy that needs to be released and you don't want your team getting stale. We have much better athletes than CU, so I'm not too worried about it, but you have to reset your approach and go with the new conditions. This is how life is too.

The fans will make a much bigger deal out of this than is necessary. This is not much different than having a restaurant that is jam packed lose your reservation and having to change plans. You just roll with it, and you don't let it ruin your evening or week.

RollingLaugh

Good luck with all that. This is college football not pro sports.

It's always good to play. If that's the case. Bowl games are useless. What's the big deal if we go if it's not a major bowl or the playoffs. Someone could get hurt.

You can never simulate game intensity in practice. No matter how hard you try.

Reactions: scarletred
Good luck with all that. This is college football not pro sports.
Well, I don't think it's that big of a deal, unless you let it become one. I don't know what pro sports has to do with any of it either. If you want to become unglued and let it affect you, then be my guest, but it doesn't have to be that way and I would expect the coaches to inherently know this and keep the players in a good frame of mind.

Well, I don't think it's that big of a deal, unless you let it become one. I don't know what pro sports has to do with any of it either. If you want to become unglued and let it affect you, then be my guest, but it doesn't have to be that way and I would expect the coaches to inherently know this and keep the players in a good frame of mind.

The fan passion and community impact is different. Thus more fanatical people.

If people weren't like this you would be right no one would care. But that's not reality.

Time being wasted matters to some people.

The fan passion and community impact is different. Thus more fanatical people.

If people weren't like this you would be right no one would care. But that's not reality.

Time being wasted matters to some people.
I really don't care about what the fans think. The thread was about any advantage/disadvantage with how this affects the team with the CU game, and with the right frame of mind and guidance from coaches, it shouldn't affect the team very much at all. I didn't think this was a thread for fans to complain about money or time wasted.

Reactions: jeans15
Well, I have an inkling that we'll be just fine. Sorry-not going to join in your pity party. I would have expected this kind of attitude for the last several coaches. I'm still wondering when some of you are going to actually show you believe in the coach you say you believe in. Is it a great situation to be in? No. Is it going to change the outcome of next week's game? I don't believe so. I expect to win that game and I see no reason at all to change my mind now.
pity party? F uck off you pretentious prick

I am disappointed we didn't play last night. I think playing last night helps our team more than hurts it. I think that preparation is important for the reps. I will be pulling for the huskers along with everyone else there.

Reactions: jeans15
pity party? F uck off you pretentious prick

These posts display a lack of respect and in-fighting that is not The Nebraska Way. More like the day after hangover from a loss domestic violence way. Either way, not good.

These posts display a lack of respect and in-fighting that is not The Nebraska Way. More like the day after hangover from a loss domestic violence way. Either way, not good.
pre-coffee and annoyance from a ridiculous poster (not you). The downplay of last night is just as bad as the doomsday. Last night sucked and realistically changed the season's outcome, possibly to the detriment.

pre-coffee and annoyance from a ridiculous poster (not you). The downplay of last night is just as bad as the doomsday. Last night sucked and realistically changed the season's outcome, possibly to the detriment.

So say The Serenity Prayer and move on this Sunday.

If you can't control it, accept it, and move forward.

And possibly....,(since you brought it up).........not.
It didn't realistically change anything....much less the season's outcome.
Take a sip man.. . .

Advantages:
1.) Your team will be very fresh! No injuries so a full lineup of healthy players to enter the game with CU.
2.) CU will be a bit beaten up with some extra injuries and players out from a tough 1st game.
3.) You have film on CU to spend a week preparing while the opponent has nothing on you.

Disadvantages:
1.) Teams generally improve the most between game 1 and game 2. Just getting used to the speed, the hitting, and getting all the first game mistakes out of the way.
2.) You don't have any film on yourselves which is essential into improving from game to game. You probably haven't even scrimmaged for over a week.
3.) Your freshman QB hasn't played a game since his junior year in high school and gets game 1 against a former rival angling to beat him.

How will all of that play out???

Advantages?

Coach Scott Frost.

Disadvantages?

I am not going to be able to be there in person to watch the ass kicking we’re going to give the buffaloes

Go Big Red!

I would go ahead and have a short scrimmage today to get 2AM and the offense some type of reps similar to a real game with out the fans...

The huge advantage is Colorado has a second year starter and Nebraska has a true Freshman that hasn’t taken a snap in a college game...

Reactions: huskerfan1414
It changed bowl placement????

WTF are you talking about....respectfully?

Having one less win on the schedule (potentially 2 with Colorado coming to town) would affect chances at becoming bowl eligible and what our bowl matchup would be, unless we win the division and end the regular season ranked near the top.

Colorado gained a huge advantage last night. A huge, unexpected gift from the heavens.

Whatever advantage NU gains in the film and health department is more than offset by Adrian Martinez losing an opportunity to get 60+ snaps under his belt; losing an opportunity to build chemistry with his receivers; losing an opportunity for several other new players to get real snaps; and losing a huge opportunity for NU coaches to correct first game mistakes from their team.

Whether it's enough to turn a win into a loss remains to be seen. But there is virtually no advantage NU gained with this game being cancelled. Only disadvantages.

Having one less win on the schedule (potentially 2 with Colorado coming to town) would affect chances at becoming bowl eligible and what our bowl matchup would be, unless we win the division.
So....now we lose to Colorado?
Having one less win on the schedule (potentially 2 with Colorado coming to town) would affect chances at becoming bowl eligible and what our bowl matchup would be, unless we win the division and end the regular season ranked near the top.

Ok.....but it's September.....

90 days of season left.......

So much will happen........

One advantage no one has discussed is the advantage of Scott Frost. Not just because we all think he is capable of great things, but also because he is only 3 years removed from coaching against Colorado. Oregon was at Colorado in 2015. That means several kids who were there in 2015 are still there in 2018. Having played against CU as a player and having recent coaching success against CU I have to think from an X’s and O’s standpoint Frost has a pretty good idea of what CU is going to try to do, moreso that CU knows what Frost wants to do. It’s not the end all be all, and it won’t be the difference in the game, but it is an advantage for the good guys.

I wasn't aware NU had a ton of great athletes. Whom are NU's great athletes? I'm not saying CU has a bunch of great athletes, just not aware NU has them. We do have a guy 6th in the Pac 12 track and field championship 100m playing linebacker. How did NU's athletes do at the Big10 championships?

Reactions: LA_Buff
One advantage no one has discussed is the advantage of Scott Frost. Not just because we all think he is capable of great things, but also because he is only 3 years removed from coaching against Colorado. Oregon was at Colorado in 2015. That means several kids who were there in 2015 are still there in 2018. Having played against CU as a player and having recent coaching success against CU I have to think from an X’s and O’s standpoint Frost has a pretty good idea of what CU is going to try to do, moreso that CU knows what Frost wants to do. It’s not the end all be all, and it won’t be the difference in the game, but it is an advantage for the good guys.
I'll be honest, there are probably 3 guys who played in 2015 on the team. Much of our 2014 and 2015 classes have been purged from the team. I think we've brought in 60+ new players in the last 2 classes alone. Gamboa, our middle LB, Franke, our backup DT, and Kaiser, our LT are the only guys I can imagine he has scouted. We ran Ken Baer's 4-3 defense in 2015. We've been running the 3-4 since and it's a hybrid 3-4 so different than your own. Offensively, we are WAY different. Very little from what he learned in his time in 2015 likely applies to this year.

I wasn't aware NU had a ton of great athletes. Whom are NU's great athletes? I'm not saying CU has a bunch of great athletes, just not aware NU has them. We do have a guy 6th in the Pac 12 track and field championship 100m playing linebacker. How did NU's athletes do at the Big10 championships?

That’s a funny way for you to twist his words around in an extreme manner. I believe the man said the Huskers have better Athletes then Colorado. And that’s not exactly far fetched. Recruiting wise, Huskers do appear to have the better talent wise. We just haven’t seen the product on field because if Mike Riley and his staff. That has changed and no longer an issue. Frost and his staff should get the most out of our talent. Husker to Colorado may not be Bama compared to Kansas or even close to that. But he’s right, Husker do APPEAR to have the advantage in talent wise when recruiting ranking are considered....at the worst case, by a smaller margin. Again, nice way to twist his words to the extreme like he was claiming Colorado has Akron talent. ;)

Hell your claim of NU not having good athletes is more ridiculous then what he claimed of the Huskers having better athletes then Colorado. Some of are good to great athletes, Just to name a couple that pop up in most peoples heads: T Lindsey, JD Speilman, Maurice Washington, A Martinez (yep I’d consider him a good athlete), S Morgan, G Bell, Woodyard and there’s plenty more and yes some are new faces (I could of listed M Williams)...again the previous staff just bombed bringing some along and how badly we did last year masks the athletes we have in the skill positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT