ADVERTISEMENT

So. Who are the three coaches Moos has been in touch with,

huskerfan66

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Dec 8, 2004
And who else will he talk to. We know it's hoiberg. Altman? Who is the third about interest.

I don't know if Altman counts anymore, so I'd say it was 4 at one time.

Altman
Hoiberg
Musselman
Turgeon

He said he hadn’t spoken to Altman, so I don’t know the other two and we may never know to be honest?

think it was said that Dana A. isn't in the mix today on 1620 per Bill, fwiw
Agreed he's not in the mix. My question is based on what Moos said at his press conference. He said that he has been in contact with 3 coaches to guage interest in the job....at that point. Altman could be considered 1 and he said not interested. Contract extension.

He said he hadn’t spoken to Altman, so I don’t know the other two and we may never know to be honest?
I guess i didn't hear that in the press conference. Maybe I missed it. He said he has talked to three to guage interest in the position. He did confirm that Hoiberg was one of them since he currently isn't coaching.... doesn't put him in a precarious situation.

Agreed he's not in the mix. My question is based on what Moos said at his press conference. He said that he has been in contact with 3 coaches to guage interest in the job....at that point. Altman could be considered 1 and he said not interested. Contract extension.

Moos asked Altman even as long as last year so he would be one of the 3 or 4 since then... Altman was told he was going to get an extension after winning the PAC 12 tournament..

Don’t think Lue was one of the 3 or 4..believe that just wishful thinking because he played in Lincoln..

Reactions: huskerfan66
any of those would work.
i think sampson stays south and would oats stay east...?

Don’t know what Sampson makes at Houston, but Moos would pay him no less then 3M-3.5M. Which would be quite more here..

Rumor has it Hoiberg expecting 7 year for 30MM

I think Sampson stays at Houston. Tillman Fertitta has been instrumental in getting Sampson the facilities and support he needs to get UH to where it is now. When you hear Sampson talk, he says he wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't have those things, Fertitta made sure it happened, so I think there is a sense of loyalty there.

Edit - They are also working on a contract extension at Houston. Here is a quote from Sampson last week. - "There's a reason I stayed here," said Sampson, who was named Wednesday as one of four finalists for Naismith Coach of the Year. "I've learned over the years that you don't mess with happy. And I'm happy."

any of those would work.
i think sampson stays south and would oats stay east...?

Probably. But I think Sampson was likely on Moos' list because they worked together at Washington State. And Oats is probably on most AD's lists, and the fact that he signed a contact extension a couple weeks ago makes me think Moos might have reached out to him and he parlayed that into an extension.

Reactions: scarletred
Don’t know what Sampson makes at Houston, but Moos would pay him no less then 3M-3.5M. Which would be quite more here..

Rumor has it Hoiberg expecting 7 year for 30MM
Ooooo. I have no problem with 5-7 years. Frost is 7 years 35 million.

5 million would put him at the top of the BIG by a bunch. Near or close to the top in all of college BB.

I would say 7 years 23 million base with some very nice incentives. We're going to need the success to warrant the incentives to get close to the 4+ million area. Can bb generate that revenue? Not sure what the balance sheet looks like for BB

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
i wouldnt've excluded some of the other mid-major types (otzelberger, forbes, etc.), but i understand the reluctance to go that route, again...

I read somewhere it would be around the 7 year 28 million dollar mark. $4 mil Per would be a top 15 salary in the NCAA for b-ball coaches. We are finally ponying up for a b-ball coach if that comes to fruition.

It’s Hoiberg and not close.

28 to 30 million over 7 years.

Altman wasn’t asked this time around.

Hoiberg
Sampson

Two for sure I’d imagine then probably Oats or Dawkins maybe.

It’s Hoiberg by a Lincoln country mile.

Worst kept secret in the state lol.

I think I can say for the Maryland fans I know that they would personally help Turge move if NU hired him.

Thanks for heads-up on Oats. Nebraska can do better than the latest hot name youngster. It's time for UNL to turn the corner on basketball. Everything's in place for that to happen. The mayor makes perfect sense if the school is ready to get serious and invest in the game. Like you, I'm curious to see who is chosen.

Last edited:
Thanks for heads-up on Oats. Nebraska can do better than the latest hot name youngster. It's time for UNL to turn the corner on basketball. Everything's in place for that to happen. The mayor makes perfect sense if the school is ready to get serious and invest in the game. Like you, I'm curious to see who is chosen.

Not much suspense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT