ADVERTISEMENT

So this is ridiculous

On a related topic .... You don't meet many men or boys named Aldoph anymore

adolph.png

Clay Travis isn't pc.. I like hearing his take on things because you know he's going to call out dumb shit, and back it up with fact based arguments

Reactions: baseball31ne
I love how espn says "we didnt think who calls a football game would be a big deal" or whatever....
Um...IDIOTS, you changed the caller precisely because you were afraid people would be offended by a name and obviously thought their feelings were warranted....
Gawd I wish espn lost college football rights, then Id never have to watch anything on their channels again....

I love Clay Travis and this story is literally a wet-dream for him.

In the last week ESPN showed us that it is not ok to be Asian and have a name but it is ok to televise a literal auction of professional athletes (most of which were African American).

Reactions: OO Snipes
In the name of (I'm not sure what they're calling it to be honest) ESPN yanks an announcer for having the name Robert Lee.

I hope to read 10 more stories about how many subscribes their losing in the coming months, and while I love me some PTI, screw those freaking weirdo's running that company.

Could be an over-reaction, but what just happened in Virginia is bad enough that corporate ding dongs concerned about money and money alone would be touchy and suggest a switcheroo.

Who cares?

Other stories out there where the broadcaster asked to be removed from the broadcast because of his name and where the game is played.

To me this is just more creating drama for the sake of creating drama. I don't know who is to blame for this, since there are conflicting stories, but either way, had the broadcaster not been changed no one is paying any attention to the name of a play by play guy in a game between William & Mary and Virginia.

Could be an over-reaction, but what just happened in Virginia is bad enough that corporate ding dongs concerned about money and money alone would be touchy and suggest a switcheroo.

Who cares?
I'm guessing Robert Lee cares, and the people in my household are amazed by it as well (my wife is Korean, and my kids obviously share that too). If I was preparing to call a game and pulled from that broadcast because I shared a name with a historical figure from 150 years ago, I would be miffed I think...

It's just stupid.

Am I the only one who was able to read this part?

"We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games..."

He's just gonna do a different game, it's not like they fired the guy. But my condolences on how this will disrupt everyone's plans to watch that UVA game like you usually do. Sorry about your ruined enjoyment of the fightin'...what the hell is their mascot even?

Boy you gotta do some work to get upset when an announcer and some branch of ESPN you've never heard of decide that maybe now is not the time they wanna hear it about that coincidence.

He's just gonna do a different game, it's not like they fired the guy. But my condolences on how this will disrupt everyone's plans to watch that UVA game like you usually do. Sorry about your ruined enjoyment of the fightin'...what the hell is their mascot even?

Boy you gotta do some work to get upset when an announcer and some branch of ESPN you've never heard of decide that maybe now is not the time they wanna hear it about that coincidence.
Why aren't you sticking up for the Asian guy? You always stick up for minorities... ;)

Do you really think it was a decision made collectively? Or was it just announced that way? After all, ESPN pays Lee's salary... You may be absolutely right, but how can we know for sure?

In the end, It's just another reason to make fun of ESPN...

Why aren't you sticking up for the Asian guy? You always stick up for minorities... ;)

Do you really think it was a decision made collectively? Or was it just announced that way? After all, ESPN pays Lee's salary... You may be absolutely right, but how can we know for sure?

In the end, It's just another reason to make fun of ESPN...
Ah but nothing happened to him. He's still gonna get paid to call a game that day. I'd have thought it was dumb if people got pissed about him doing the game, but we didn't get that opportunity.

I don't need everyone to agree, but when you can manage to get your panties twisted because a guy is gonna do a different game on an outlet you didn't even know existed it's time to go take yourself a relaxing bubble bath or something.

I think the (alleged) email from the exec hits the nail on the head. You all have seen how people lose their shit and say hideous things on twitter when a woman dares to say things on TV about football while not being smokin' hot, is it a stretch that the internet might have been irresponsible with this?

It all woulda been fine if it wasn't for those damned leakers!!! They're everywhere!!!!

Actually this fits perfect in reflecting the average intelligence level of Americans' today. This incident says "NO, our customers aren't smart enough to distinguish the difference of the same name of an Asian American broadcaster in 2017 vs. the long deceased confederate general. In fact, we think this could be a problem for us". After reading this board (just one example) for many years, I can say they're probably right. The internet doesn't care about truth...it cares about attention. What draws attention? Outlandish statements. Factual or not, most people don't even care if these statements are accurate or not any more. On the bright side, it's very easy to stand out if you have any true intellectual ability...

GBR

I for one will not rest until this guy is terminated because his name offends me. Or not. Whichever is easier for me to pretend to be offended.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Oh man, completely forgot about that trolling incident. That was classic!

Oh man, completely forgot about that trolling incident. That was classic!

This is what I was thinking too. It was a mutual decision. It seems like a good decision to just avoid the issue if its possible. They switch broadcasters to avoid having the headline, "ESPN puts Robert Lee on UVA game after Charlottesville madness, is an insensitive asshole corporation." I'd do that same thing. Unfortunately, we have waaaay too many people that become incensed at the slightest opportunity. To me, this is a smart business move that people are playing extremely out of proportion and probably don't realize that this dude wanted to make the switch to avoid any issues.

It was probably a no-win situation, although we'll never know for sure since probably only 5 people wanted to watch that game to begin with. It may have gone unnoticed. So the only question I have is, could they have just made the switch and not had it publicized?

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Actually this fits perfect in reflecting the average intelligence level of Americans' today. This incident says "NO, our customers aren't smart enough to distinguish the difference of the same name of an Asian American broadcaster in 2017 vs. the long deceased confederate general. In fact, we think this could be a problem for us". After reading this board (just one example) for many years, I can say they're probably right. The internet doesn't care about truth...it cares about attention. What draws attention? Outlandish statements. Factual or not, most people don't even care if these statements are accurate or not any more. On the bright side, it's very easy to stand out if you have any true intellectual ability...

GBR
Have you interacted with customers before? Of course they aren't smart enough.

Let me tell you, I learned firsthand that reading a menu and ordering food is too hard for most people. You give them the responsibility to pick out two side dishes, it's more than they can handle.

Waiter: "And which two sides would you like with that?"
Customer: SIDES?!?!?! (steam starts to rise off top of head brain overheats)

Catering only to the intelligent severely limits your earning potential.

It was probably a no-win situation, although we'll never know for sure since probably only 5 people wanted to watch that game to begin with. It may have gone unnoticed. So the only question I have is, could they have just made the switch and not had it publicized?
They tried. Somebody decided to publicize if for them, knowing that people would froth at the mouth and net them a ton of clicks when they made it sound like the PC police forced them to fire an innocent man because of what his name is.

They tried. Somebody decided to publicize if for them, knowing that people would froth at the mouth and net them a ton of clicks when they made it sound like the PC police forced them to fire an innocent man because of what his name is.
My solution for them is to spin it that ESPN is just trying to protect a man named after a "true patriot" (or whatever) from triggered morons vandalizing/destroying anything with the words "Robert" and "Lee" on it. What a time to be alive!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT