ADVERTISEMENT

So if the name Scott Frost is named our new HC!

bjd63

Walk On
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2005
arizona
Looking into his coaches at UCF .... some great quality guys on that staff. Does he bring some of them and keep some of HCMR coaches to keep some of our recruits intact or does he do a clean sweep and try to foster a relationship he does not have with our current unsigned recruits?

I'd be very surprised if the next coach - whether it's Frost or someone else - keeps any of these assistants.

It would be very rare to not keep any assistants from the current staff simple because of recruiting. IF we are lucky enough to get Frost to come here, he will most likely coach his team as long as possible and if he completely cleans house there would be absolutely no one to recruit for his new school which would put them at a significant disadvantage when they finally do take over.

I'm sure the new head coach will want to name their own staff, and will go with people they personally know and trust.

With that said, we've suffered through enough buddy hires to last us a lifetime. If the proposed assistant coach isn't the total package, able to develop talent, scheme, and recruit, they need to be off the list. Nebraska already has one hand tied behind its back because of a lack of in-state talent, they don't need to tie the other hand trying to carry weak coaches who can't get the job done.

I would like to see the new HC be given ample financial resources to hire the best/brightest that he would be comfortable with. If that means bringing his current staff along with him and paying them as appropriate, fine. If he knows some people that would cost significantly more but would really elevate our recruiting and player development, pay them. This coaching change is about the HC, and just as much about outfitting him with the right assistants. Don't short-arm this.

Isn't former Husker Greg Austin and Barrett Ruud on Frosts staff??
Yep and there's another guy who I don't remember. Ryan Held. I could see him keeping Parrella maybe but it depends on what his DL coach at UCF wants some of his staff are UCF guys and may want to stay there. His DL coach is a Mass. and was an assistant D line coach for the Eagles. He may want to go back to the NFL.

I'm sure the new head coach will want to name their own staff, and will go with people they personally know and trust.

With that said, we've suffered through enough buddy hires to last us a lifetime. If the proposed assistant coach isn't the total package, able to develop talent, scheme, and recruit, they need to be off the list. Nebraska already has one hand tied behind its back because of a lack of in-state talent, they don't need to tie the other hand trying to carry weak coaches who can't get the job done.
Plenty of walk-ons in state. Isn't that all we need?

Reactions: saluno22
The UCF D-Line coach has a better resume than Parella. Our D-Line has been unimpressive under Parella, he shouldn't be kept just because he's a former Husker. Barney Cotton was a former Husker too, didn't make him a great coach here.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The UCF D-Line coach has a better resume than Parella. Our D-Line has been unimpressive under Parella, he shouldn't be kept just because he's a former Husker. Barney Cotton was a former Husker too, didn't make him a great coach here.
There's a good chance that some of that staff gets retained there with promotions. The DL coach may be a candidate for DC and Troy Walters may stay as the head coach and OC. IF UCF is smart, they would do that IMO and try to keep what they have rolling. The DL coach looks very qualified.

Reactions: otismotis08
Looking into his coaches at UCF .... some great quality guys on that staff. Does he bring some of them and keep some of HCMR coaches to keep some of our recruits intact or does he do a clean sweep and try to foster a relationship he does not have with our current unsigned recruits?
Seems all new coaches like to bring all their "buddies" with them. I have a feeling Frost would be no different. While they are having success at UCF that may not translate to the BIG10. I hope whoever he gets as assistants that they have a proven track record in power 5. The buddy system has proven not to work over the last 20 years.

Lol. Just hope Frost can recruit. I don’t believe his staff has landed a single 4* in Florida???

In fairness, I doubt UCF landed many before Frost either.

I also doubt Urban Meyer landed many 4-star players at Utah. Mike Riley's recruiting improved significantly here compared to at Oregon State. Frost was a very good recruiter as an assistant at Oregon, and now has connections on both coasts. I think he'll be just fine.

I'm tired of the no instate talent argument. Lincoln is closer to Kansas City and Des Moines than it is to Scottsbluff. If we recruit Colorado, kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota really well... we will have enough depth to then top it off with blue chippers from place where the instate teams are weak...like Texas right now. Then you can bring in a handful of Nebraska kids who have the patience and work ethic to sit behind other guys...growing and pushing the guys in front of them. Nebraska HS players are undersized, and often underdeveloped...but we can still get great lineman, TE, LB, and DT and DEs from nearby. They come in small but hungry and athletic and grow into monsters. Waiting for 2-3 years before playing is going to become a virtue in the culture of play now or transfer.

Last edited:
Yep and there's another guy who I don't remember. Ryan Held. I could see him keeping Parrella maybe but it depends on what his DL coach at UCF wants some of his staff are UCF guys and may want to stay there. His DL coach is a Mass. and was an assistant D line coach for the Eagles. He may want to go back to the NFL.
Don't you remember Ryan Held???? When Tommie had blood clots and Brook collapsed lung he was interviewed about taking snaps at QB. It was hilarious. He said 'I have never played QB in my life"

Reactions: headcard
Don't you remember Ryan Held???? When Tommie had blood clots and Brook collapsed lung he was interviewed about taking snaps at QB. It was hilarious. He said 'I have never played QB in my life"

I thought he was a swimmer.

In fairness, I doubt UCF landed many before Frost either.

I also doubt Urban Meyer landed many 4-star players at Utah. Mike Riley's recruiting improved significantly here compared to at Oregon State. Frost was a very good recruiter as an assistant at Oregon, and now has connections on both coasts. I think he'll be just fine.
You are correct I went and looked back at Recruiting for his 2 years there. Only 2 and 3 star guys. He ranked 90th and 60th in those years. So yeah no worries on the Frost and not recruiting top guys to UCF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT