ADVERTISEMENT

Smothers

Oct 12, 2016
Apparently the kid is very fast, ran a 10.6 100m as a Junior in HS. Hearing reports he is faster than TM with movement like Crouch. Hearing he is now over 200lbs and fast (was 170lbs junior in HS).

Now as a passer, his junior film doesn't look impressive with a weak arm. Hopefully his passing game is improved dramatically over the last 2 and half years. The problem is he is being coached by Harry Potter and the bank teller. We lost Luke but holding out the Kool Aid with Smothers.

I found his Senior HS film. Nice quality video.

Last edited:
I need someone to please tell me why he's getting such a bad wrap on his passing game? After seeing this post I just watched his HUDL video and overall I think he looks pretty good... He also had 2,204 yards / 28 TD's his senior year with a 76% rating... says on HUDL this puts him at #2 all-time in Alabama. Now admittedly I'm not any kind of QB expert but I can't imagine one gets to that level in Alabama without some decent throwing skills... So what am I missing? We've not even seen the kid pass a ball yet correct?

I need someone to please tell me why he's getting such a bad wrap on his passing game? After seeing this post I just watched his HUDL video and overall I think he looks pretty good... He also had 2,204 yards / 28 TD's his senior year with a 76% rating... says on HUDL this puts him at #2 all-time in Alabama. Now admittedly I'm not any kind of QB expert but I can't imagine one gets to that level in Alabama without some decent throwing skills... So what am I missing? We've not even seen the kid pass a ball yet correct?

Well from this video he is way more accurate than Luke when he was a Sr. in HS, even more accurate than Luke last year. The speed of the game is picking up tremendously now , so I'll wait to see him play. Whene it comes to judging QBs even 40 years of NFL coaching experience get it terribly wrong in the Draft. The uncertainty is big on who pans out and who doesn't. This film does look good for his accuracy though.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well I hope he has decent passing skills to complete some longer, down the field passes. Have no idea if he does or doesn't have that ability but it's what really is needed IMO to loosen up the defenses. Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breathe until I see it on the field (assuming Frost actually gives him a chance to be on the field).

Reactions: kakdawg
We will know a lot more this spring and fall camps with Smother. He’s going to get a lot of reps with the 2s.

Reactions: Reditus
Throwing motion is not that "odd". They used to teach holding the ball high and when you throw, bring it up about ear high. Frost would know about odd throwing motion.

You simply cannot tell arm strength in these films. Do you measure arm strength in how far he can throw it or how quickly it gets there or both?

He keeps his eyes downfield, even when flushed, which is good. I watched his head and I would say probably 90% of the time, he knows where he is going with the ball and his head stays there. That is typical of HS players though. There were some plays where his first read was evidently covered and he scanned so it is not totally foreign to him.

There is a lot to like with this kid. The big question is can he read D's, coverages, communicate, and develop that quick release.

I also like his body lean going into contact. Gets some yac's.

Also something interesting. He puts his index on the point of the football when passing. That is not unheard of but not the most common grip either. I wonder if Coach V & Smothers will try to change that. I am not a fan of that grip but to each his own..

Last edited:

He doesn't have a gun, but if he has good accuracy, he should be fine at the college level. Neither Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray had rifles for arms either. With his speed and scrambling ability he could be a nightmare for defensive coordinators.

Well from this video he is way more accurate than Luke when he was a Sr. in HS, even more accurate than Luke last year. The speed of the game is picking up tremendously now , so I'll wait to see him play. Whene it comes to judging QBs even 40 years of NFL coaching experience get it terribly wrong in the Draft. The uncertainty is big on who pans out and who doesn't. This film does look good for his accuracy though.
I'm not sure from that film that I would question his arm strength either. He had one play in there where he was rolling to his left and without being able to set because of pursuit, put in on the money over 40 yards down the field in to the back of the endzone. IF anything I thought the highlight video showed good touch and accuracy. There weren't really any shots of wide open receivers streaking down the sideline on a fly to judge his deep arm strength but his arm looks plenty good for this offense. We have to remember that for a guy who had fractured ribs a few months earlier, we might not have gotten an accurate assessment of his arm strength from observers of fall practice. His throwing motion and touch remind me of Josh Heupel in high school and Smothers is 10X the athlete that Josh was.

Last edited:
And he can throw over those mountains.

No, but seriously hope he is a guy who can push Martinez eith a more rounded game than McCaffrey.
Apparently the kid is very fast, ran a 10.6 100m as a Junior in HS. Hearing reports he is faster than TM with movement like Crouch. Hearing he is now over 200lbs and fast (was 170lbs junior in HS).

Now as a passer, his junior film doesn't look impressive with a weak arm. Hopefully his passing game is improved dramatically over the last 2 and half years. The problem is he is being coached by Harry Potter and the bank teller. We lost Luke but holding out the Kool Aid with Smothers.

Dunno if we'll ever see TM kind of speed again at the QB position. Tecmo Bowl all day.

Reactions: bshirt73
He doesn't have a gun, but if he has good accuracy, he should be fine at the college level. Neither Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray had rifles for arms either. With his speed and scrambling ability he could be a nightmare for defensive coordinators.

Isn't that what everyone was saying about Luke?

You have to have all the tools to a degree. If not, you lose a major threat. Is Adrian a threat for the long ball?

Reactions: ADV1

I think some are skeptical why a QB with those stats, didn't get an offer from Alabama, Auburn, or any other SEC schools.

I believe he also suffered some broken ribs and a collapsed lung in high school, so nobody knows how he has recovered from that, either.

Wilson had a much bigger arm in high school than Smothers. But I agree with the Kyler Murray comparison. Smothers is less athletic than Murray, but comparable arm strength.

Is it easier to teach running ability or passing ability? This staff fully believes it can teach scramblers how to pass. I pray they can with Smothers. I fear if they don't they wont get another opportunity with another qb.

Hell yeah, I'll drink the Kool-Aid but then that Kool-Aid starts to taste like something else when the season starts...😢

I think some are skeptical why a QB with those stats, didn't get an offer from Alabama, Auburn, or any other SEC schools.

I believe he also suffered some broken ribs and a collapsed lung in high school, so nobody knows how he has recovered from that, either.
I don't remember that far back anymore but I thought he did have an offer from Auburn.

Doubt you are missing much. I don’t what School level Smothers played at, but those throws could have been easy to make with his talent. But then again, he made them.

Just another liability in the passing game and super skinny. With how the offensive genius loves his QB draws on 3rd and 12 he will be injury prone like Martinez.

Ohio State offered according to Rivals.
I’m just going off of an article about him after he committed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I read another article from an Alabama paper that was saying he was “not even a blip on Alabama or Auburn‘s radar” for a very long time, but they did end up inviting him to camps and that Smothers didn’t bother attending the Alabama one.

No. Ohio State, Auburn, and Bama invited him to camps, but none of them offered him a scholarship.
For a long time, Nebraska was his only power 5 offer.
Not true. As much data that is out there you should know thisespecially since you think you know facts about Smothers recruitment Lol
Louisville offered him the weekend he committed. (Before entering 11th grade).
Ole Miss offered 2-3 months after that (during 11th grade season).
After the Ole Miss offer Smothers said he would not be posting any further offers and would not be taking any visits except to US.
It was reported during his Jr year Dan Enos which was QB coach at Alabama at the time (now at Maryland) was on campus at Athens HS visiting and Smothers happen to wearing a Nebraska hoodie hahaha

Reactions: saltsdogg

“I think some are skeptical why a QB with those stats, didn't get an offer from Alabama, Auburn, or any other SEC schools.”

Yet he had an offer from Ryan Day and the OSU Buckeyes. Please remember, offers are self reported and he committed to the Huskers early and he completely shut his recruitment down and never wavered on his commitment. That would explain a lot to most of that.

“I believe he also suffered some broken ribs and a collapsed lung in high school, so nobody knows how he has recovered from that, either.”

Well, he did play in the “Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic” with those broken ribs. Since then, as a Husker, there hasn’t been a single word mentioned about his ribs being an issue or still bothering him any via any of the coaches or anyone else that has talked about him during interviews. So my guess, going off of all that, he is doing just fine, just like it never happened. GBR 👍🏼

Not true. As much data that is out there you should know thisespecially since you think you know facts about Smothers recruitment Lol
Louisville offered him the weekend he committed. (Before entering 11th grade).
Ole Miss offered 2-3 months after that (during 11th grade season).
After the Ole Miss offer Smothers said he would not be posting any further offers and would not be taking any visits except to US.
It was reported during his Jr year Dan Enos which was QB coach at Alabama at the time (now at Maryland) was on campus at Athens HS visiting and Smothers happen to wearing a Nebraska hoodie hahaha

Exactly....all lot of these guys forget offers are self reported (player reported). Once he committed to us, he completely shut everything down. And he did indeed have an offer from OSU Buckeyes. It even shows it on his Rivals profile. If anyone wants to look, here it is....

Last edited:
Ohio State offered Smothers after attending a camp, and Auburn came on late. Logan didn't show any reciprocal interest with Auburn and they didn't end up offering.

As for Bama, they go after the top 3 to 4 five star QBs every season. And they are almost always Pro Style dudes.

His senior film is excellent, and he's a much better QB than Luke McCaffrey. Hell, an argument can be made that he's even a better runner than McCaffrey.

Fwiw though, Nebraska needs dudes like Omar, Toure, Betts, Stepp, and Fidone to make immediate impacts, or it won't matter who plays QB for the Huskers.

No. Ohio State, Auburn, and Bama invited him to camps, but none of them offered him a scholarship.
For a long time, Nebraska was his only power 5 offer.
Unless the rivals database is in error, Smothers received P5 offers from NU, the Ville and tOSU.

Ohio State offered Smothers after attending a camp, and Auburn came on late. Logan didn't show any reciprocal interest with Auburn and they didn't end up offering.

As for Bama, they go after the top 3 to 4 five star QBs every season. And they are almost always Pro Style dudes.

His senior film is excellent, and he's a much better QB than Luke McCaffrey. Hell, an argument can be made that he's even a better runner than McCaffrey.

Fwiw though, Nebraska needs dudes like Omar, Toure, Betts, Stepp, and Fidone to make immediate impacts, or it won't matter who plays QB for the Huskers.
Getting Stepp on the field is a big factor. Having a guy who is a chore to bring down in the run game gets the attention of opposing DBs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT