ADVERTISEMENT

Smothers

Getting Stepp on the field is a big factor. Having a guy who is a chore to bring down in the run game gets the attention of opposing DBs.
There's a been a gradual upgrade in offensive talent across the board. It's been slower than we would like, but now is the time for it to make a big jump forward and for this offense to click.

It all starts up front. Get the Center snapping on target, the OL controlling the LOS, then have your skill guys making plays, stretching the defense or pounding the rock dictating what the defense does. Do that and you can have a Matt Turman game managing type QB winning games for you.

Looking forward to the spring game to see what we have across the board.

There's a been a gradual upgrade in offensive talent across the board. It's been slower than we would like, but now is the time for it to make a big jump forward and for this offense to click.
Running game and the Oline are the gas and engine of this offense. Think of the WRs as the higher gears. If the tank is low and the engine is misfiring, it doesn’t matter what the racing speed is.

Well from this video he is way more accurate than Luke when he was a Sr. in HS, even more accurate than Luke last year. The speed of the game is picking up tremendously now , so I'll wait to see him play. Whene it comes to judging QBs even 40 years of NFL coaching experience get it terribly wrong in the Draft. The uncertainty is big on who pans out and who doesn't. This film does look good for his accuracy though.

Id take accuracy over arm strength. You can engineer receivers open to minimize arm strength issues if you have accuracy. A big arm with poor accuracy is a recipe for picks and 3. & outs.

I have recently been pretty negative and sarcastic about Husker football but Smothers is going to be the man. The dude is the total package. He can run like a deer and owns a really good arm. Smothers will be the Qb that saves Frost his job and leads Husker nation out of the wilderness. Plus he is a good looking guy and probably crushes the co-eds, similar to Skunk back in the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
According to Rivals or according to him? Self reported.
All offer lists are self reported. Rivals can dig if they want but it's an NCAA violation for the school to disclose that they've offered a kid. I'm sure high school coaches will spill the beans as well but not all kids report all offers they get.

Reactions: saluno22
Well we better hope he is the real deal because the odds are that Maritinez will get dinged up at some point in the season. And no matter how good his raw talent is, he is still very inexperienced. A season ending injury to Martinez would be a real blow to this team. I still hope Frost pursues the transfer portal for one more seasoned back up. I think Smothers is going to be a good QB for us but I doubt he is ready to be a starter who can win us games in the B1G.

Well we better hope he is the real deal because the odds are that Maritinez will get dinged up at some point in the season. And no matter how good his raw talent is, he is still very inexperienced. A season ending injury to Martinez would be a real blow to this team. I still hope Frost pursues the transfer portal for one more seasoned back up. I think Smothers is going to be a good QB for us but I doubt he is ready to be a starter who can win us games in the B1G.

This is where coaching comes in to play, Saban and Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, have no problem preparing a talented freshman to play early and at a high level. My fear is Harry Potter and the bank teller screwing him up.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Is it easier to teach running ability or passing ability? This staff fully believes it can teach scramblers how to pass. I pray they can with Smothers. I fear if they don't they wont get another opportunity with another qb.
From his video it appears to me that Smothers could pass in high school a lot better than his O line could block. Damn he always had somebody in his face right after the ball was snapped.

This is where coaching comes in to play, Saban and Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, have no problem preparing a talented freshman to play early and at a high level. My fear is Harry Potter and the bank teller screwing him up.
I can remember one freshman QB playing for Saban and that was Tua late in the year after a full spring, summer and fall camp. He got to play late in multiple blowouts during the season gaining experience before he burst on to the scene late his freshman year. I don't think we've had many blowouts to get a true freshman game reps. On the flip side, Frost has played multiple true freshman at other positions and they've largely played well.

I can remember one freshman QB playing for Saban and that was Tua late in the year after a full spring, summer and fall camp. He got to play late in multiple blowouts during the season gaining experience before he burst on to the scene late his freshman year. I don't think we've had many blowouts to get a true freshman game reps. On the flip side, Frost has played multiple true freshman at other positions and they've largely played well.
Jalen Hurts, Tua's predecessor, also started as a true freshman. they were #1 all year, SEC champs and lost to Desean Watson in an epic title game basically at the buzzer 35-31.

Tua, of course, played the entire second half of the title game the next year as a true frosh, making one of the all-time improbable throws in CFB history to beat UGA. this year's Heisman winner, Devonte Smith, also as a true freshman, was on the receiving end of that throw.

Last edited:
Jalen Hurts, Tua's predecessor, also started as a true freshman. they were #1 all year, SEC champs and lost to Desean Watson in an epic title game basically at the buzzer 35-31.

Tua, of course, played the entire second half of the title game the next year as a true frosh, making one of the all-time improbable throws in CFB history to beat UGA. this year's Heisman winner, Devonte Smith, also as a true freshman, was on the receiving end of that throw.
Seems like the solution is to get a bunch of 5-star players. Darn it why doesn’t Scott just do that

ADVERTISEMENT