ADVERTISEMENT

Smilin’ Mike looking again........

What I do know is that 1) Riley clearly wasn't the right fit, 2) many a Husker fan equate winning football games to being a decent human being, and, since Riley didn't win, he is a terrible person, and 3) many folks seem to think they know how he really ran things, despite being nowhere near the program.
He sucked.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
If Frost can win 10 games next year he will tie Mike Riley’s 3 year win total at Nebraska. I think he can do it.

Reactions: bshirt73
What about his sweet gig as an OC in the XFL?

The XFL probably wouldn't hire you to sweep the floors much less call plays so he still knows a hell of a lot more than you when it comes to football, right? ;). The people on here still talking s*** about Riley come off as being pretty pathetic. Yeah Riley didn't succeed at NU but there is zero evidence that says he did anything but try his best. People still complaining about his run at Nebraska come off ass sh*** fans who don't know much at all about football. I could see maybe trashing a coach if they had a major scandal or got the program in real trouble or embarrassment but it i so petty, weak and actually quite stupid to make fun of Riley.

He coached in the NFL, was an OC for John Robinson, was considered for the HC job at USC, was successful at OSU and was offered the HC job at Alabama of all places... So a lot of smart people whose opinions actually meant something when it comes to football think he knows the sport pretty well. Again, yes didn't do very well in his 3 years at NU but anyone who says he is a "horrible coach" doesn't know very much about football at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
I know I'm biased but I think Osborne was maybe the best CFB coach ever. There will never be a coach as consistently good as he was and win 9 or more games for 25 years in a row at the same school. That being said, his career might have ended quite differently had he taken either of those jobs at Colorado or Michigan State.

I know I'm biased but I think Osborne was maybe the best CFB coach ever. There will never be a coach as consistently good as he was and win 9 or more games for 25 years in a row at the same school. That being said, his career might have ended quite differently had he taken either of those jobs at Colorado or Michigan State.
I don't know.....if he's such a great coach (and he was), and Bill McCartney was able to win an NC there in less that a decade after taking the Colorado job (quicker than TO won his first), I don't know why you don't think Osborne couldn't have been successful there.

Even if we discount McCartney's NC due to the 5th down, they were still a Top 10-15 program the last 5-6 seasons he was there. No reason to think TO wouldn't have won there.

Reactions: zrob
I don't know.....if he's such a great coach (and he was), and Bill McCartney was able to win an NC there in less that a decade after taking the Colorado job (quicker than TO won his first), I don't know why you don't think Osborne couldn't have been successful there.

Even if we discount McCartney's NC due to the 5th down, they were still a Top 10-15 program the last 5-6 seasons he was there. No reason to think TO wouldn't have won there.

I agree he probably would have been successful but he would have had rough years too, especially in the beginning like Mccartney 3 losing seasons to start off and even had a 1-10 season. I just don't think he would have finished every season with a bowl game and 9 wins or more , while being in the mix for a national title most seasons. Mccartney didn't get 8 wins until 7 seasons.

Other coaches won more NC's or had more undefeated seasons but to me Osborne's greatest feat was being soooo consistently good for so many years. Devaney had a couple of 6-4 seasons and Switzer had a 7 win season, along with a couple seasons at 8 wins. Osborne's standard of 9-3 or better with a bowl game every year at NU set the bar very high and is probably why there are so many unrealistic goofball fans on these boards today!:)

Yes, I think he tried his absolute best. Unfortunately, his best is subpar.

He might as well take the money and live well, because his latter year’s biography makes him look like a bigger joke than his earlier year’s resume. He will be remembered as a nice guy. PERIOD.
You will remember Riley as a nice guy, period. His peers will remember Riley as:

2x State Champ
NCAA Champ as a Player
NAIA National Champ as Coach
2 Time CFL Champ
PAC10 Champ as Asst HC
OSU Winningest Coach (worst resources in P5)
A guy that positively impacted thousands of lives

That’s probably better than 99.5% of people who have ever coached.

Last edited:

Nick Saban. Sorry.

I agree he probably would have been successful but he would have had rough years too, especially in the beginning like Mccartney 3 losing seasons to start off and even had a 1-10 season. I just don't think he would have finished every season with a bowl game and 9 wins or more , while being in the mix for a national title most seasons. Mccartney didn't get 8 wins until 7 seasons.

Other coaches won more NC's or had more undefeated seasons but to me Osborne's greatest feat was being soooo consistently good for so many years. Devaney had a couple of 6-4 seasons and Switzer had a 7 win season, along with a couple seasons at 8 wins. Osborne's standard of 9-3 or better with a bowl game every year at NU set the bar very high and is probably why there are so many unrealistic goofball fans on these boards today!:)

Heh, well sir, I think you're ignoring a couple of HUGE factors.

1. Devaney took over a garbage NU program that was losing everywhere.

2. TO took over a NU program that won two NCs in the previous three years.

3. It didn't take Devaney even somewhat close to 22 years to win big.

4. It was Devaney himself who chose TO to run the show (no Pedeyshine monster disasters back then).

TO was simply GREAT! However, even as great as he was I think Devaney was far, far better.

Not to throw s*** on TO record, but he did coach in the Big 8 and big twelve where OU and maybe one other team were competitive each year pretty much guaranteeing 6 wins plus nona couple non con push overs which automatically at 8.

And yet he will still be remembered as more successful than you.
Sure he will, by this world’s standards, he is more successful. At 66 years old, still uprooting his family to spend countless hours away from them pursuing what he wants to do and getting paid gobs of money trying to inch over that .500 mark, you bet he is more successful than me. On the other hand, I get to see my kids and grandkids nearly every week. I am comfortably retired, but in no way have the bank of cash that Mike has. So yes, he wins!

Not to throw s*** on TO record, but he did coach in the Big 8 and big twelve where OU and maybe one other team were competitive each year pretty much guaranteeing 6 wins plus nona couple non con push overs which automatically at 8.

He got at least NINE wins a season whether you think the conference was good or not. I know what you are saying but what he did with being that consistent with 9+ wins a year and a bowl game every season for such a long period of time at at a power 5 program wasn't done even back then and it hasn't been done since (that I can think of...). Other coaches won more titles and had higher winning percentages,

I'm just saying that IMO his greatness was in being consistently very good every single year without a letdown.

Heh, well sir, I think you're ignoring a couple of HUGE factors.

1. Devaney took over a garbage NU program that was losing everywhere.

2. TO took over a NU program that won two NCs in the previous three years.

3. It didn't take Devaney even somewhat close to 22 years to win big.

4. It was Devaney himself who chose TO to run the show (no Pedeyshine monster disasters back then).

TO was simply GREAT! However, even as great as he was I think Devaney was far, far better.

Well sir I think you forget maybe the HUGEST factor in that Osborne was Devaney's offensive coordinator and a major part of both those titles in '70 and '71!!! I think you also must forget that Devaney had 4 seasons of 9w, 10, 9w and 10w BEFORE he had back to back 6-4 seasons, so he definitely was not as consistent as TO... After those 2 letdown seasons Devaney hired Osborne as his offensive coordinator. TO totally revamped the offense and that led to the '70 and '71 championships.

And I'm sorry but for you to say Devaney was "far, far better" makes you sound a little out of touch at best... It's fine for someone to say they think one coach might have been a little better but come on man "far, far better"? That is just crazy talk. Both were amazing, again I'm just saying Osborne's greatness when compared to all CFB coaches was his consistency. That is what makes him stand out among the all-time greats.

The XFL probably wouldn't hire you to sweep the floors much less call plays so he still knows a hell of a lot more than you when it comes to football, right? ;). The people on here still talking s*** about Riley come off as being pretty pathetic. Yeah Riley didn't succeed at NU but there is zero evidence that says he did anything but try his best. People still complaining about his run at Nebraska come off ass sh*** fans who don't know much at all about football. I could see maybe trashing a coach if they had a major scandal or got the program in real trouble or embarrassment but it i so petty, weak and actually quite stupid to make fun of Riley.

He coached in the NFL, was an OC for John Robinson, was considered for the HC job at USC, was successful at OSU and was offered the HC job at Alabama of all places... So a lot of smart people whose opinions actually meant something when it comes to football think he knows the sport pretty well. Again, yes didn't do very well in his 3 years at NU but anyone who says he is a "horrible coach" doesn't know very much about football at all.
I don't care about his resume. He was a shitbag coach when he was here. Ask any former player who met him. Just because in good ole boys club, doesnt make him a good coach.

Mike riley was never our head coach. He was an assistant athletic director who turned his duties over to eichorst for running things and langsdorf/banker/diaco making the team go. We paid him for literally doing nothing. He was basically middle management.

Well sir I think you forget maybe the HUGEST factor in that Osborne was Devaney's offensive coordinator and a major part of both those titles in '70 and '71!!! I think you also must forget that Devaney had 4 seasons of 9w, 10, 9w and 10w BEFORE he had back to back 6-4 seasons, so he definitely was not as consistent as TO... After those 2 letdown seasons Devaney hired Osborne as his offensive coordinator. TO totally revamped the offense and that led to the '70 and '71 championships.

And I'm sorry but for you to say Devaney was "far, far better" makes you sound a little out of touch at best... It's fine for someone to say they think one coach might have been a little better but come on man "far, far better"? That is just crazy talk. Both were amazing, again I'm just saying Osborne's greatness when compared to all CFB coaches was his consistency. That is what makes him stand out among the all-time greats.

Heh, obviously you you didn't notice, Devaney's 70 & 71 Huskers "also" had a sensational defense with W. Harper, J. Dutton, R. Glover, L. Jacobson, J. Murtaugh, etc. I suppose you think TO set that up too.

Further more, how about special teams? They were simply wildly terrific with the Jet. But yeah, I know, of course they were all great only due to TO.

Lastly, even though I know you can't grasp it, I'll mention that Devaney took over a NU program that had six consecutive losing seasons. While TO got to take over a truly ass kicking NU program. Duh....

Haha.....anyways.....enough. We'll agree to disagree. The very best to you sir!

I don't care about his resume. He was a shitbag coach when he was here. Ask any former player who met him. Just because in good ole boys club, doesnt make him a good coach.

That's fine if you want to say that since he had 2 bad seasons at NU but it sounds pretty emotionally driven and a bit narrow minded. You can say he didn't succeed in his short time at NU but clearly he's widely considered a good enough coach to land multiple great jobs. He's made millions of dollars and reached the pinnacle of his chosen profession (and stayed up there for a bit too) which is far more than most people can say.

Lol he's not in any "good ole boys club" either. Even for someone who is in that club it might get them one of those positions but not 5 or so.

I'm sorry you took his 2 bad years at Nebraska so personally my man!:D

Heh, obviously you you didn't notice, Devaney's 70 & 71 Huskers "also" had a sensational defense with W. Harper, J. Dutton, R. Glover, L. Jacobson, J. Murtaugh, etc. I suppose you think TO set that up too.

Further more, how about special teams? They were simply wildly terrific with the Jet. But yeah, I know, of course they were all great only due to TO.

Lastly, even though I know you can't grasp it, I'll mention that Devaney took over a NU program that had six consecutive losing seasons. While TO got to take over a truly ass kicking NU program. Duh....

LMAO dip****!! I am not saying he was better than Devaney but you are an idiot if you honestly believe Devaney was "far, far better" than Osborne. Or any coach ever. Both men are legendary football coaches and not

LMFAO man, did you just have a stroke or something? I can't believe you would double down on such a stupid statement and come back with someting even more ridiculous.

I'm sorry buddy but you are an idiot if you think Devaney or any college coach was "far, far better" than Osborne... I might expect comment slike that from a child. The "points" you make are borderline retarded as well... But hey, you do you buddy.

There's really no need for me to try and explain anything to you so I'm done but it would be good for you to listen to what I've already said. Good day to you too ;)...

LMAO dip****!! I am not saying he was better than Devaney but you are an idiot if you honestly believe Devaney was "far, far better" than Osborne. Or any coach ever. Both men are legendary football coaches and not

LMFAO man, did you just have a stroke or something? I can't believe you would double down on such a stupid statement and come back with someting even more ridiculous.

I'm sorry buddy but you are an idiot if you think Devaney or any college coach was "far, far better" than Osborne... I might expect comment slike that from a child. The "points" you make are borderline retarded as well... But hey, you do you buddy.

There's really no need for me to try and explain anything to you so I'm done but it would be good for you to listen to what I've already said. Good day to you too ;)...

Wow. Just, wow.

Wow. Just, wow.

Really, that's you contribution? Wow. Just wow.

Sorry cool guy but if someone says a coach was "far, far better" than Osborne they are complete idiots. Same if they said Osborne was "far, far better" than Devaney. That is the opinion of someone who really doesn't have a grasp on college football. It's no wonder these boards are constantly attacked by trolls, there's a lot of very special people on here.

Go ahead though, let's hear you defend that statement he made.I'd love to hear it.

Really, that's you contribution? Wow. Just wow.

Sorry cool guy but if someone says a coach was "far, far better" than Osborne they are complete idiots. Same if they said Osborne was "far, far better" than Devaney. That is the opinion of someone who really doesn't have a grasp on college football. It's no wonder these boards are constantly attacked by trolls, there's a lot of very special people on here.

Go ahead though, let's hear you defend that statement he made.I'd love to hear it.

I'm just surprised that you would respond with such vitriol. I agree with your position but can't understand why you got so angry about it.

Reactions: zrob
I'm just surprised that you would respond with such vitriol. I agree with your position but can't understand why you got so angry about it.

Ok, you are probably right. He was rude with his initial reply and ruder yet with the next one, and that was before I had started being a d***... By the 3rd one I kinda flipped I guess. It's really annoying to get attacked for no reason and it's much worse when it's by someone with opinion as bad as that one. There just seems to be so many people on here with ridiculous "opinions" and then they are rude on top of that and this time I let it get the better of me...
My bad.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

For your information before Eichorst really F’ed this football program up, Devaney made this program what it once was not Osborne after all he hired TO to be his Offensive coordinator like you mentioned, Devaney hired Osborne in 1967 to be a Assistant Coach...

I know one thing...Riley beat #13 Oregon, #18 Minnesota, Purdue, and Indiana in his 2nd year, and I believe lost to #8 Wisconsin in OT if I remember right. And they only gave up more than 30 points 3 times that year.

This is more an indictment of Chinander than Frost. I would take Mark Banker over Chinander in a second.

For your information before Eichorst really F’ed this football program up, Devaney made this program what it once was not Osborne after all he hired TO to be his Offensive coordinator like you mentioned, Devaney hired Osborne in 1967 to be a Assistant Coach...

Dude, is your reading comprehension that bad or are you trying to be funny? Read my posts again... All I'm saying is you would be a total f****** idiot to say Devaney was "far, far bettter" than Osborne... And the guy on here saying that clearly was not real smart. Same thing if someone said Osborne was "far, far better" than Devaney. Both are legends and only a child or maybe someone with Down's would make a statement like that as there has never been a CFB coach that is "far, far better" than either man. You could make a case for either guy and it wouldn't be outrageous to have the opinion that one was better than the other... But to say "far, far better"?? Yeah that is batsh** crazy talk. Do you really think I don't know that Devaney kicked all of this off and that he came before Osborne? Lol!!! Or were you trying to show off a very rudimentary knowledge of Husker football? Yes Devaney hired Osborne after Devaney had TWO poor seasons in a row with back to back 6-4 seasons... Osborne came in and totally revamped the offense and things really took off from there. I'm not saying Osborne did it all as it was a joint collaboration from '63 to '97. Devaney was the head coach responsible for the hire but Osborne absolutely had a significant contribution to Devaney's tenure and those first 2 titles. Maybe read the whole conversation before chiming in with something goofy like that.Smokin

"For my information"? Lol, damn. Holy Christ what is it with all the ridiculous posts on this site? You guys are trying to get me all worked up again:p!! There are definitely some easy pickings for the Iowa trolls that is for sure!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT